Predicting Smoothness Of A Flight

Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:17 pm

My family will be travelling from Chicago to Bangalore in a few days. Is there a website where I can input the date of the flight and determine the weather conditions along the flight path and also whether the flight is going to be smooth ? I am more interested in the flight leg from Chicago to Frankfurt.

Thanks all for your help.

RE: Predicting Smoothness Of A Flight

Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:33 pm

Sorry. The conditions that create turbulence are highly localized and are dependent upon so many factors that it is not possible to predict in any reliable way. That is why we have to depend upon pilot reports to tell us what the conditions are ahead of us while aircraft are following along in trail.

I am a private pilot and was flying last week and the conditions were quite turbulent at my altitude for a half an hour and then it was smooth as glass. I always tell my passengers that, like water, air is a liquid and what you feel as bumpiness and turbulence are just waves in the air. If you sail or ride on boats you know that sometimes the sea is rough and sometimes it is not. You just can't see the white caps when you are flying but it is essentially the same effect.

Good luck,

RE: Predicting Smoothness Of A Flight

Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:42 pm

There is one item that might help a bit.. the significant weather charts.

It'll show you where the jet streams are (always a chance of some bumps around them), where they're forecasting moderate or greater clear air turbulence, and where they're expecting areas of thunderstorms.
Ask why..