kaitak

Rolling Through To 32 ... Even More Irish Aviation

Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:01 am

Welcome to thread 32/07, folks!

Some very interesting developments in 31/07, notwithstanding we're right in the middle of the Summer season and let's hope the pace of events keeps up.

Within the next two weeks, we should be seeing the start of the first of EI's new transatlantic flights, to IAD, which will be a major milestone for the carrier; long may it last. MCO and SFO follow in Sept/Oct and no doubt, we'll be seeing some more soon.

We should hopefully be seeing some developments on the airport terminal, with planning permission hoped for by the end of this month; time is now becoming of the essence here and if PP isn't granted, then it'll push out the completion date for the new terminal. MO'L certainly isn't going to give up without a fight and of course, one can understand his position to a certain extent: "we're not using it, so why should we pay more?" We'll hear an awful lot more about this in the coming weeks!

There's quite a lot of speculation going on about EI's new base, with BHX/BFS being seen as the most likely two; personally, my money's on Birmingham; I think there's a lot more potential there and a very big local market; probably more scope for a long haul operation too, if they get to that stage. Let's hope it works out for them; it's a huge risk.

So, far from lying back and enjoying the Summer Sun (we'll be waiting!), let's enjoy the action ... Failte romhaibh isteach!

OA260

RE: Rolling Through To 32 ... Even More Irish Avia

Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:11 am

Quoting Kaitak (Thread starter):
personally, my money's on Birmingham;

I think the same. Although I was told by my contact in EI that it would not be BFS but this is the aviation industry and anything is possible. Maybe i was being thrown off the scent !! LOL.... I would like to see BFS for a range of reasons. It would be nice to have more of an Irish presence at BFS but if I had to put money on it id choose BHX .

[Edited 2007-07-16 22:20:46]

snnus

RE: Rolling Through To 32 ... Even More Irish Aviation

Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:02 am

Why is SNN-MAD on FR not bookable in November, are they dropping the route?

Eirules

Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:08 am

Hey, for anyone interested here is my first trip report - to LHR with BD
EIRules Loses His Trip Report Virginity On BD (by EIRules Jul 16 2007 in Trip Reports)
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

shamrock350

Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:16 am

F9 have new seats and I think they would look great in EI short-haul aircraft. You can see the pictures in this thread, A Look At The New F9 Leather Seats (photos) (by NZblue Jul 16 2007 in Civil Aviation)

tonymctigue

Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:28 am

Thank you Kaitak for another great start to another Irish Thread.

Quoting Kaitak (Thread starter):
personally, my money's on Birmingham

If I were a betting man, my money would be on BHX for the new EI base because there is definitely a good market for both long & short haul. EI tried long haul at BFS before via SNN & it was not particurarly successful. Did EI ever operate short haul out of BFS before?

Quoting EIDAA from previous thread:

I don't suppose the turboprops were C130s were they?

Perhaps the four engined jet was a C17?

Thank you EIDAA. Yes, the turboprops were C130's. I'm not sure about the jet. I havn't downloaded my camera yet. Maybe when I get another look at it I migh be more certain.
Airports: SNN GWY NOC DUB ORK BOS EWR JFK ORD MCI BOI SEA LHR STN CDG LYS FAO GVA HKG MEL ADL HBA

Eirules

Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:28 am

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 4):
F9 have new seats and I think they would look great in EI short-haul aircraft

Yeah very nice seats. And surely Frontier's flights aren't that much longer than some of EI's, to the likes of BUD, ATH etc so why not PTVs that you pay for on EI?

shamrock350

Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:33 am

Quoting EIRules (Reply 6):
Yeah very nice seats. And surely Frontier's flights aren't that much longer than some of EI's, to the likes of BUD, ATH etc so why not PTVs that you pay for on EI?

EI could make some money out of PTVs but the extra weight added to the A32X aircraft has probably put them off and the fact that no other airline has PTVs on European routes. The F9 seats are very similar to EI seats, even the pattern on the leather is the same. I wonder if EI would consider getting those coloured seats on the A32X.

tonymctigue

Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:45 am

Quoting Snnus (Reply 2):
Why is SNN-MAD on FR not bookable in November, are they dropping the route?

I don't know. I believe that SNN-MAD is operated by a MAD based AC & MAD is a new base which of course means that there is going to be some bit of testing the water to find out which routes are going to perform well so there is a possibility that the route is not performing & will be dropped. It is also possible that it is set to become a seasonal route like they did with many of their other routes from SNN to mainland Europe.
Airports: SNN GWY NOC DUB ORK BOS EWR JFK ORD MCI BOI SEA LHR STN CDG LYS FAO GVA HKG MEL ADL HBA

tonymctigue

Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:19 am

Guys. Just checked on the SNN arrivals website. There is a flight DL115 from BCN-ATL on the board that arrived at 22:15. I checked it out on the DL website & its status is "Diverted". I'm guessing a medical diversion or a technical problem. Any of our members who are in the know have any more information?

kaitak

Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:49 pm

Quoting Tonymctigue (Reply 8):
I don't know. I believe that SNN-MAD is operated by a MAD based AC & MAD is a new base which of course means that there is going to be some bit of testing the water to find out which routes are going to perform well so there is a possibility that the route is not performing & will be dropped. It is also possible that it is set to become a seasonal route like they did with many of their other routes from SNN to mainland Europe.

I've heard that loads on SNN-MAD have been pretty poor, so I would imagine that they are axing the route.

Quoting Tonymctigue (Reply 9):
Guys. Just checked on the SNN arrivals website. There is a flight DL115 from BCN-ATL on the board that arrived at 22:15

I'm actually surprised that a BCN-ATL trip would fly this far north, but I guess even for BCN-ATL, SNN would become the closest suitable diversion airport for part of the trip.

OA260

Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:34 pm

Just some news that if it goes ahead may affect the DUB to IST TK flights!!!

Union threatens ‘indefinite’ strike at Turkish Airlines

An indefinite strike over pay by workers at Turkish Airlines has been set to begin on Friday (July 20) – the start of the summer holiday peak

smokeyrosco

Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:57 pm

On my way to a customer site I passed two developments comparable (well as comparable as you can get in Ireland I suppose) with the building of a new terminal. Both are due like T2 to open in 2009 and both have already started construction or demolition unlike T2.

I passed the point where the new point village is being built including luas line to the point. more mega office blocks and a complete redevelopment of the area, due open in 2009 by the king of Rock and Roll Elvis!

The other was Lansdowne Road which I was amazed to see how much of it's already gone this of course involves the Dart AND suburban services as the line literally runs under the west stand and is going to be completely rebuilt.
John Hancock

jwmd123

Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:28 pm

i see there is a weekly service from Dublin to Ponta Delgada with TP recently operating.

is this a seasonal service or is this just a charter?

OA260

Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:51 pm

Quoting JWMD123 (Reply 13):
i see there is a weekly service from Dublin to Ponta Delgada with TP recently operating.

is this a seasonal service or is this just a charter?

Its operated by SATA (S4) with a TP codeshare. I was on it a few months back . I did a full TR .

Was in Dublin Airport around midday and the heavy and i mean biblical down pour flooded the bus stop area outside arrivals!!! Also the Swiss/ATTS offices next to out size baggage were evacuated as sewage over flowed and could be smelt in the surrounding areas of check in .Staff rushed out with hands over mouth and noses and the stench was un real. The Gards cordoned off the area and no one was allowed in !!!

SU are planning to return over the next 12 months with an A320 DUB-SVO service . Fingers crossed!!!!

n272wa

Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:33 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 14):
SU are planning to return over the next 12 months with an A320 DUB-SVO service

Thats's great news! Do SU operate out of DME at all, or solely from SVO.
I always thought DME was called "DEMENTIEVA". Didn't realise Dementieva is actually a female Russian Tennis player...hehehe...I now know it is Domodedovo, but it will always be Dementieva to me!
Next: (EI)DUB-ORD-DUB, DUB-EWR-IAH-DFW-MSY-AUS-AMA-DEN-EWR-DUB

Humberside

Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:50 am

Quoting N272WA (Reply 15):
Thats's great news! Do SU operate out of DME at all, or solely from SVO.

Just SVO
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

tonymctigue

Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:32 am

SU are planning to return over the next 12 months with an A320 DUB-SVO service . Fingers crossed!!!!

It would be great to see SU back in Ireland again. Its been along time since they pulled out of SNN. I've been wondering for some time why there was no SVO service from DUB until now.

kaitak

Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:33 am

Lufty has just announced that it will move to DME; mind you, SU has commissioned a new terminal at SVO, so hopefully it will be better than T2 (can't really be worse!) DME - as far as I can tell - has better connections to Moscow (rail link).

I wonder would EI ever consider a DME service?

tonymctigue

Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:04 am

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 18):
I wonder would EI ever consider a DME service?

Or would FR ever think of expanding farther east into destinations as DME of SVO? Maybe not from Ireland but from other eastern European countries such as Poland. They are bound to saturate the current European market at some point so the two next obvious places to serve would be eastern Europe & North Africa.

Eirules

Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:07 am

Quoting N272WA (Reply 15):
I always thought DME was called "DEMENTIEVA". Didn't realise Dementieva is actually a female Russian Tennis player...hehehe...I now know it is Domodedovo, but it will always be Dementieva to me!

LOL  laughing , dont really have a comment on that! Would be great to see flights to Moscow and if SU came it would mean yet another SkyTeam airline (along with CO, DL, AF and OK) which would give DUB bit more clout having seen the likes of AZ and TP leave recently.

rineanna

Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:55 am

Hello all.

Just back home after arriving into SNN from EDI. Nothing really extraordinary about the flights. The outward leg to PIK was delayed slightly, however, as the Cable and Wireless logojet which was meant to be operating our flight went tech at SNN but luckily there was a replacement aircraft available not long after we were meant to depart. (I was hoping to add another logojet to the Hertz one I flew on before, oh well!).

The return led from EDI-SNN went perfect. We arrived in 15mins ahead of schedule (Now, all ye cynics, please don't start shouting "padded-schedule" at me...early is early!). It was my first time flying out of EDI and I liked it, tbh. Lots of shops, and the departure lounge is perfect for spotting. The only complaint I would have is that both EI and FR depart from the exact same gates (I think it's 1b or 1c) which is a bit of a walk from the main thoroughfare. EI must be permanently stationed at these gates as there is several EI advertisments on the walls down there.

Actually, as we drove into the airport, we passed the EI A320 operating the DUB flight. Now I think there has been a little debating on here as to whether EI should modernise their livery, but the EI A320 looked notably well in the sunshine amongst the rather bland EZY A319s and BA jets. Don't change it, I say!

I had some time yesterday, in the Edinburgh tourist office, to have a quick glance through the threads and was suprized and delighted to see the new LGW service. Fair play to EI for taking on not one, but two established carriers on the route. I think it was asked in the last thread when was the last time EI took on FR on a route. I think Newcastle was the last one, and the short lived LPL service before that. As was said somewhere, it might be an idea to do a link up with Oasis to HKG. It might be a cheaper option then connecting PAX through LHR.

tonymctigue

Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:56 am

I just checked out the SNN departures board. There is a Flight # EI2110 shown on sn SNN departures board with destination "Shannon" on it. Anyone know what that is about? I checked the EI website & all it says is that there is no information available on that flight.

http://www.shannonairport.com/flight-info/departingflights.asp

tonymctigue

Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:04 am

Quoting Rineanna (Reply 21):
Just back home after arriving into SNN from EDI

Welcome back Rineanna. How many were on board the flights if you don't mind me asking? I'm asking because I'm trying to get a feel as to how well FR are doing out of SNN & I can't find any information on load factors on the web.

shamrock350

Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:12 am

the EI A320 looked notably well in the sunshine amongst the rather bland EZY A319s and BA jets. Don't change it, I say!

Totally agree about the livery but I would like to see what it would look like making the titles bigger. It worked very well for QR.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Julien Bersheim

Not sure if I would like "Aer Lingus" that big though!

rineanna

Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:15 am

Quoting Tonymctigue (Reply 23):
How many were on board the flights if you don't mind me asking?

Oh crap, sorry, meant to mention it! It was absolutely JAMMERS today. There were only a couple of spare seats. It was great to see. The PIK flight was quite full too, not as full as today, but still healthy. In relation to the talk re: MAD, I think it was oone of the routes which was made summer only when the eight new routes were announced. The new routes start in November I think, so it would be from Nov onwards that the flights wouldn't be bookable.

There were these american tourists on the flight, and as they made their way down the aisle whilst boarding one of them asked a FA "do we have assigned seats?"!! I was like, ha, welcome to Ryanair!!

Quoting Tonymctigue (Reply 22):
I just checked out the SNN departures board. There is a Flight # EI2110 shown on sn SNN departures board with destination "Shannon" on it.

Training flight?

Pe@rson

Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:18 am

It was my first time flying out of EDI

I was in Edinburgh and Edinburgh Airport last week. Been to the airport before. And I agree: it's pleasant and good for watching the 'planes.

When were you there?

I then flew to LCY.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

n272wa

Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:20 am

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 24):
Not sure if I would like "Aer Lingus" that big though!

Bigger is definitely better. Would love to see gigantic Aer Lingus titles plastered onto the side of the 330's... maybe leave the logo as it currently is on the 320's. Always loved the old PANAM on their 747's. I think EI 330's would look mighty fine in with a bigger script...

On a different note, I am still in the process of juggling a date for our 1st ever Anet meet in DUB. Thanks to all who responded to my previous message. More details to follow  Smile

M...

rineanna

Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:28 am

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 26):
When were you there?

Just a few hours ago. Spent a couple of hours at the airport itself.

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 26):
I then flew to LCY.

Was it with CB or BA? I'd love to fly CB's Dorniers sometime.

Pe@rson

Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:38 am

Quoting Rineanna (Reply 28):
Was it with CB or BA? I'd love to fly CB's Dorniers sometime.

BA C/F. I too would love to fly on CB's 328s. It'll cost a minimum of about £62 one-way from EDI to LCY, or about a fiver more from LCY to EDI.

You could always fly BE DUB-SOU (minimum of about 41 EUR one-way incl. taxes but plus card fee), then connect to CB SOU-AMS (minimum about £82 one-way all-in), then either spend a night in AMS or fly back to DUB with EI. That'd be a pretty cool, if somewhat expensive, day. E.g.:

DUB-SOU: 0845-1010 = BE
SOU-AMS: 1445-1700 = CB
AMS-DUB: 2045-2120 = EI

[Edited 2007-07-17 23:43:59]
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

shamrock350

Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:39 am

Quoting N272WA (Reply 27):
Bigger is definitely better. Would love to see gigantic Aer Lingus titles plastered onto the side of the 330's

Here's the best I could come up. It gives us an idea of what it would look like anyway.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m198/SkyNet1000/bigEItitles.jpg

What do you think guys?

jwmd123

Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:48 am

Its operated by SATA (S4) with a TP codeshare. I was on it a few months back . I did a full TR

Thanks, must do a search and look up your TR.

rineanna

Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:58 am

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 29):
You could always fly BE DUB-SOU (minimum of about 41 EUR one-way incl. taxes but plus card fee), then connect to CB SOU-AMS (minimum about £82 one-way all-in), then either spend a night in AMS or fly back to DUB with EI. That'd be a pretty cool, if somewhat expensive, day. E.g.:

DUB-SOU: 0845-1010 = BE
SOU-AMS: 1445-1700 = CB
AMS-DUB: 2045-2120 = EI

That would be a great trip to make, to be sure. I haven't flown EI in a few years, and even at that it was on the old 735s, so would like to try out an EI A320.

Yes, I'd love to take an obscure routing like that someday, and maybe even include a Loganair SF340 while I'm at it. There was an impressive line up of their SF340s at EDI today (also quite a distance from the main thoroughfare, gates 18/19 IIRC).

tonymctigue

Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:44 am

Quoting Rineanna (Reply 25):
In relation to the talk re: MAD, I think it was oone of the routes which was made summer only when the eight new routes were announced

I don't think so. It is not specifically mentioned that the MAD route is going seasonal on the press release announcing the new routes.

http://www.shannonairportenthusiasts.net/

snnus

Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:49 am

EI 2110 operated DUB-SNN as 1 or 2 transatlantic flights diverted to DUB this morning due to fog in SNN, so pax came back down on that flight

tonymctigue

Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:40 pm

There are reports this morning of a plane crash in Sao Paulo in Brazil.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0718/brazil.html

May all those unfortunate people rest in peace.

n272wa

Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:33 pm

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 30):
Here's the best I could come up. It gives us an idea of what it would look like anyway.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m198/SkyNet1000/bigEItitles.jpg

What do you think guys?

Shamrock350 - I LOVE it!!!! Looks class....

eirbus06

Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:17 pm

Quoting Tonymctigue (Reply 35):
There are reports this morning of a plane crash in Sao Paulo in Brazil.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0718/brazil.html

May all those unfortunate people rest in peace

Terrible news!!! May all those souls RIP  Sad  Sad  tombstone 

bx737

Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:34 pm

What do you think guys?

I think it looks very good and would make the livery stand out a bit more than it does already.

I was talking with a friend of mine whose sister works for Irish Helicopters. Apparently the helicopter involved in last weeks crash actually landed first and then skidded on the grass hit a ditch and flipped nose first over the ditch and into the next field. The reason it landed is not clear.

[Edited 2007-07-18 10:46:38]

shamrock350

Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:59 pm

Quoting N272WA (Reply 36):
Shamrock350 - I LOVE it!!!! Looks class....
Thanks N272WA!

I first thought that the titles looked a bit small when Airbus released their Aer Lingus A350 image and seeing as the A350 will be quite a large aircraft, having bigger titles might look better and as Bx737 said, it makes it stand out more. That's if Aer Lingus dont change the livery by 2014 which I hope they dont just minor changes is all thats really needed.

[Edited 2007-07-18 11:01:25]

n272wa

Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:05 pm

Quoting Rineanna (Reply 32):
Yes, I'd love to take an obscure routing like that someday, and maybe even include a Loganair SF340 while I'm at it.

Yup, come up for a wee hop to LDY with me some day Rineanna.

OA260

Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:43 pm

Well I finally got to do some plane spotting at DUB last night from 6pm to 7pm and was just about to leave when EY 41 landed. Was brilliant and I got some cool photos will post later.

rineanna

Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:01 pm

I was just flicking through the list of "Airlines of the Rep. of Ireland" on Wikipedia, and there are actually two airlines (Aviajet and Expressjet Europe) which I didn't know was Irish and/or existed. Aviajet I had heard of and seen their logo around DUB and elsewhere, but didn't know too much about them. This is what it says about them:

Quote:
Aviajet is a Dublin-based charter broker. While it's not an airline, the company provides flights for tour operators. Its flights are operated by MD83's in the Aviajet livery. Airlines that lease Aviajet's aircraft include Mapjet and Spanair. Air Atlanta Icelandic have previously operated A310's for Aviajet, and euroAtlantic Airways have done the same thing with a Boeing 767-300.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aviajet

ExpressJet Europe I don't think have actually operated a flight as of yet. It seems they are trying to replicate the feeder airlines like Mesaba, et al, with ERJ-145s.

Quote:
ExpressJet Europe is a start-up airline based in Cork, Ireland. It is a proposed regional feeder airline planning to develop the capacity purchase agreement concept in Europe. It intends to sign up its first customer before ordering its aircraft and applying for an air operators certificate.[1]
The airline was established in 2004 and is owned by European shareholders (50.1%) and ExpressJet Airlines (49.9%).[1] In 2006 it was planning to enter long term ACMI agreements with major European airlines and is considering taking over some of ExpressJet's Embraer ERJ 145 aircraft, or leasing larger regional jets for this purpose.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExpressJet_Europe

Quoting N272WA (Reply 40):
Yup, come up for a wee hop to LDY with me some day Rineanna.

Ya, drinking contest on a SF340!  drunk   box 

OA260

Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:28 pm

Quoting Rineanna (Reply 42):
(Aviajet and Expressjet Europe) which I didn't know was Irish and/or existed. Aviajet I had heard of and seen their logo around DUB and elsewhere, but didn't know too much about them. This is what it says about them:

Yeah AviaJet is very popular in DUB. I saw one land last night.

bx737

Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:37 pm

I think a few weeks ago I saw 4 MD83S with Aviajet titles. I know Flightline are contracted to operate Aviajet flights this year.

There is an article about Expressjet Europe in Airliner World. It says it is founded by ex Jetmagic personnel. It is nearly finished a restructuring (why??). It is hoped to operate with 70 or 90 seat aircraft.

rineanna

Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:19 am

Quoting Bx737 (Reply 44):
It is nearly finished a restructuring (why??). It is hoped to operate with 70 or 90 seat aircraft.

Yes I read that particular article just a few days ago, but didn't know it was based in ORK. Yeah, and whyat the hell do they need to re-structure when they don't have an airline in the first place?! Maybe they're referring to JetMagic itself, but doubt it.

smokeyrosco

Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:14 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 43):

Probably because they are based in DUB  Smile
John Hancock

eirbus06

Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:33 am

News coming from another forum is that from the 1st of november SKY EUROPE are starting a 3 x weekly service from Cork to bratislava.If true,it would be an excellent boost for Cork region.Nothing on the Sky Europe website as yet.
 bigthumbsup 

Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday

Bratislava - Cork
0940 - 1150

Cork - Bratislava
1220 - 1620

kaitak

Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:15 am

Not sure if this has been mentioned before: A320 LN 3345 has been assigned to EI as EI-DVH.

tonymctigue

Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:48 am

What do you think guys?

Looks good Shamrock350.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 43):

I saw an AviaJet MD 83 at SNN last Sunday. I assumed that they were a European carrier filling in on a charter for Spainair or someone like that. I would never have thought they were Irish.