flyb

Edmonton International Boom Continues

Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:09 am

Booming Edmonton International setting new records monthly
Leaves Vancouver in its contrail as a destination for WestJet flights
Gary Lamphier, The Edmonton Journal

EDMONTON - Canada's fastest growing major airport? It's no contest -- Edmonton International Airport takes the crown.

In fact, June was the busiest month on record for EIA, with nearly 508,000 passengers shuffling through the terminal.

That marked the 18th straight month of double-digit growth, says Edmonton Airports CEO Reg Milley, and an eye-popping 22.2-per-cent increase over June 2006, when 416,000 travellers enjoyed the airport.

On a year-to-date basis, traffic volumes rose an impressive 18.7 per cent, to well over 2.9 million, EIA says. Calgary International Airport, the nation's second-fastest growing major airport, posted traffic growth of 10.6 per cent in the first five months of 2007, to nearly 4.9 million passengers.

At current growth rates, Milley figures Edmonton could hit the six- million-passenger mark for 2007.

After mapping out the airport's long-term projections, he's also forecasting double-digit growth rates to continue for the next five years . . .

Story link http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...f8e-4a4e-9e9b-f5f478248fcc&k=74947

falcon7x

RE: Edmonton International Boom Continues

Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:41 am

20% per month...WOW!!!And the oil boom has slowed down for 2007 and still growing!Amazing...

yow

Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:48 am

I see YEG's official June numbers aren't out yet, but yup that airport is booming...but I'm still waiting for WS to add YEG-YOW.

Except YYZ, most airports in the country are booming at the moment. YOW and YUL are up 7-8% YTD, which is pretty good considering we don't have any black liquid out here. YOW is currently on pace to top well over 4 million pax this year for the first time ever. Amazingly YUL's growth has been strong enough for at least the time being fend off YYC to keep the # 3 spot in the country.

The strong pax numbers nationwide are a reflection of the strong Canadian economy as a whole.

[Edited 2007-07-17 18:49:23]

[Edited 2007-07-17 18:49:58]

flyb

Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:10 am

Edmonton still is in need of the addition or added frequency a few markets.

Prince George
White Horse
Ottawa
Lethbridge

Houston
Dallas
New York
Honolulu

Europe:
Frankfurt

yegbey01

Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:22 am

I noticed that AC has droppped the YLW flights....I presume it has to do with yields..

Still puzzeld with the US flights....I know during the summer transborder out of YEG slows down a bit, but 2 weeks ago, my inlaws had a tough time finding flights to YEG....(really expensive given limited avialability)

flyb

Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:31 am

Just paid 1500 for flights to the mid-west via ORD.
CRAZY! Flights were packed on the E-170

Heard people trying to get on the flight to Denver when I was leaving, the lady said it was over booked.

The United lines are out of control.

Sounds like SFO is doing well with UA! LAX is rumoured to be getting some competition starting the winter season.

flyb

Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:21 am

more stats:

Edmonton International is posting double-digit percentage passenger volume increases in all major market segments.

Domestic – 20.7% (June) and 15.3% (year-to-date)
U.S. – 12.2% (June) and 21.3% (year-to-date)
International –182.9% (June) and 77.7% (year-to-date)
The more than twofold increase in international passengers from June 2006 to June 2007 is driven by Air Canada’s non-stop service to London-Heathrow. Other international destinations are also on a major upswing. In the first half of 2007, Mexico continued its growth as the largest and fastest growing international destination for Edmonton, and most other sun destinations showed triple-digit increases over 2006. International flights have quadrupled since last summer, jumping to 12 departures per week from three.

On the domestic side, Sunwing’s new non-stop Toronto service and Air Canada’s summer non-stop service to Halifax helped propel domestic traffic to new highs. WestJet continues to expand rapidly at Edmonton International with almost 40 per cent of all seats dispatched belonging to the Alberta-based airline. Edmonton International also replaced Vancouver earlier in the spring as WestJet’s third largest hub.

From July 1, 2006 to June 30, 2007, almost 5.7 million passengers used Edmonton International.

falcon7x

Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:56 am

Xjet is supposed to be adding YEG-LAX with ERJ-145's,no offense but yuck!

flyb

Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:37 am

Horrible! Delta Connections flies the crj100's to SLC from YEG as well. I know many people that are avoiding Delta just because of those planes...and that is just to SLC. Can't imagine a ERJ-145 to LAX from YEG...

Acey

Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:53 pm

Quoting Flyb (Reply 8):
Horrible! Delta Connections flies the crj100's to SLC from YEG as well. I know many people that are avoiding Delta just because of those planes...and that is just to SLC. Can't imagine a ERJ-145 to LAX from YEG...

Um, good luck getting to YEG from SLC if you're a CRJ-hater. One might as well just stick it out on the RJ for a couple of hours. Concerning YEG-LAX, the ERJ-145 is more comfortable than the CRJ-200, but not as good as the CR7 with AVOD AC flies on the route. In addition to that, I doubt the 145 will be able to stack up against the connections at both YEG and LAX with AC and the other members of Star Alliance.
If a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live. -- Martin Luther King, Jr.

yegbey01

Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:02 pm

AC should upgrade the YEG-LAX to an E190....but they still like to keep a low profile for YEG.....

Acey

Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:01 pm

Quoting Yegbey01 (Reply 10):
AC should upgrade the YEG-LAX to an E190

"Should" they? I'm sure if demand warrants it they will...
If a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live. -- Martin Luther King, Jr.

SLCUT2777

Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:09 pm

Quoting Flyb (Reply 8):

Quoting Acey (Reply 9):
Um, good luck getting to YEG from SLC if you're a CRJ-hater. One might as well just stick it out on the RJ for a couple of hours. Concerning YEG-LAX, the ERJ-145 is more comfortable than the CRJ-200, but not as good as the CR7 with AVOD AC flies on the route. In addition to that, I doubt the 145 will be able to stack up against the connections at both YEG and LAX with AC and the other members of Star Alliance.

Once DL starts taking delivery of more 738s next year, this will at the very least free up some MD-90s to cover at least once flight from YEG and YYC to SLC. then perhaps DL can put one of the OO CRJs on a more appropriate trans-border route such as YQL-SLC since there is some O&D on this route.  biggrin 
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

yegbey01

Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:16 pm

Quoting Acey (Reply 11):
Quoting Yegbey01 (Reply 10):
AC should upgrade the YEG-LAX to an E190

"Should" they? I'm sure if demand warrants it they will...

They are running 3 flights (A319/320) from YYC...and still forcing folks to connect through to fill those planes

2travel2know

Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:22 pm

Quoting Flyb (Reply 3):
Houston
Dallas
New York

If it's Oil what is driving YEG boom, then IAH by CO, DFW by AA and EWR by CO would come anytime soon. Also I think there's room for ANC (by AS?), GLA/PIK (if not flown already) and MTY (by ?).
I don't work for COPA Airlines!

pnwtraveler

Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:35 pm

I haven't even been in the new terminal. The expansion of flights is great news though. It was quite a boring airport to get stuck in before. The AC Maple Leaf lounge was so dinky. The need to fly or drive to Calgary for so many flights is a huge issue for Edmontonians. For those of you who don't know there is a huge rivalry between Edmonton and Calgary in everything. Think the rivalry between the Bo Socks and the Yankees and project that to everything and you get the idea  Smile. So it rankles them that the airport to the south has better services. More head offices are located in Calgary by far than Edmonton so that drives much more traffic through the airport there. I actually believe Calgary has overtaken Vancouver or is projected to shortly in the number of company head offices. Edmonton has the oil and government traffic but not the same level of other corporate travel.

Emirates773ER

Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:59 pm

Quoting Pnwtraveler (Reply 15):
I haven't even been in the new terminal. The expansion of flights is great news though. It was quite a boring airport to get stuck in before. The AC Maple Leaf lounge was so dinky. The need to fly or drive to Calgary for so many flights is a huge issue for Edmontonians. For those of you who don't know there is a huge rivalry between Edmonton and Calgary in everything. Think the rivalry between the Bo Socks and the Yankees and project that to everything and you get the idea . So it rankles them that the airport to the south has better services. More head offices are located in Calgary by far than Edmonton so that drives much more traffic through the airport there. I actually believe Calgary has overtaken Vancouver or is projected to shortly in the number of company head offices. Edmonton has the oil and government traffic but not the same level of other corporate travel.

Flames Rule!!!!!!!!!!

Big grin
The Truth is Out There ---- Face It!!!!!

flyb

Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:04 am

One of the reps that works for Air Canada at YEG has told me that the LAX flight is packed, and was told a while back that it was going to be upgauged. But that never happened.

If Delta does actually pull into LAX, it is only a matter of time before AC or UA pick up the slack.

One of the major problems for AA and CO is that they don't have any prime slots open at YEG for Transborder flights. with the new south terminal needing expanding the room is limited. Rumours has it that AA was unable to start a DFW flight because of this issue.

I believe the ERAA needs to adjust there terminal expansion to ensure they have enough gates and passenger room. Right now at around 6 million and growth predicted to grow by at least 10% each year for the next five, YEG is looking at needing that new south terminal sooner than the expected completion of the new North terminal wing.

On a side note. Sunwing is now offering winter charters from Edmonton.

[Edited 2007-07-18 17:07:02]

yegbey01

Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:30 am

Unfortuantely, the new plan for the airport remains extremely conservative....nothing concrete that recognizes the growth projections....ya ya, 1000 new stalls!!!!!

The old EAA board was a joke. They never understodd the airline business.

Let's see if they can really push AC and WS and the US carriers to at least upgrade the existing weak service of RJs and props to the US...

Acey

Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:53 am

Quoting Yegbey01 (Reply 13):
They are running 3 flights (A319/320) from YYC...and still forcing folks to connect through to fill those planes

Then that's obviously the msot economic way to do it for them. Do you know for a fact that QK 8594 goes out full every day?

flyyul

Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:06 am

Flyb.. are you wolsingerjet? Because you owe me a case of beer for the YEG-FRA and YEG-IAD that never materialized for 2007  Smile

flyb

Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:11 am

HA! nope....wolsingerjet worked for UAL and was transfered to YYZ.

falcon7x

Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:13 am

Lets not forget that YYC is also a Hub for AC,so even if a route is packed or busy from YEG that has little impact on AC's thinking.I flew YEG-LAX 3 month's ago,and it wasnt nonstop I was put through YEG-YYC-LAX by AC.I wasnt happy about that considering we have the nonstop flight but that was how it went.Next time I will use US and go through PHX if I cannot get on the AC nonstop.In october I head to England with my wife,I tried to get on the AC nonstop YEG-LHR and couldnt,we are now going YEG-YYZ-LHR on AC.I am not a fan but if our flights are that packed it cant be a bad thing....

yegbey01

Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:21 am

Quoting Acey (Reply 19):

in fact, almost always you get a cheaper flight connecting via YYC when travelling to LAX because all the seats out of YEG are snapped up...

The flight is usually 90% at least. Last week my inlaws got bumped because the flight was overbooked!!! And ended up being routed via Calgary on those ugly props!!!

flyb

Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:23 am

AC non-stop loads are in the high 99% with average prices over YVR/YYC.

Like Falcon7x said AC is not going to focus to much on this considering their attention is on YYC because of hubbing. YEG is a reactionary market depending on competition. That is why AC is slow entering the IAH market...they know that CO is still not able to enter YEG and is targeting other markets. AC Canada will add a IAH flight, but not until they fell CO is able or willing to approach the YEG market once again.

Acey

Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:25 am

Quoting Yegbey01 (Reply 23):
in fact, almost always you get a cheaper flight connecting via YYC when travelling to LAX because all the seats out of YEG are snapped up...

The flight is usually 90% at least. Last week my inlaws got bumped because the flight was overbooked!!! And ended up being routed via Calgary on those ugly props!!!

As more E90's come online I would expect it to be upgraded to mainline next summer. However, that's only about a 20 seat increase and maybe the market needs more than that. Another option is a second CR7 flight, but I'm not sure if that much demand is there.

yegbey01

Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:26 am

Quoting Flyb (Reply 24):
AC Canada will add a IAH flight, but not until they fell CO is able or willing to approach the YEG market once again.

what would AC wait until CO has (re) entered the market...that seems stupid to me. If the demand wartrants, they should try to prevent CO from entering!!

drgmobile

Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:43 am

what would AC wait until CO has (re) entered the market...that seems stupid to me. If the demand wartrants, they should try to prevent CO from entering!!

Airlines do this all the time. If they make more money flowing the passengers through another city, they will. Someone comes in with direct service so they match it until the competitor goes away.

flyb

Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:53 am

^Exactly! I would do the same thing if I was the head of Air Canada.

We in Canada tend to not realize that Air Canada is a public company not run by the government.

2travel2know

Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:37 am

Quoting Flyb (Reply 17):
One of the major problems for AA and CO is that they don't have any prime slots open at YEG for Transborder flights.

So AA and CO don't want to go thru the hassle of arriving at their YEG flights DFW or IAH F.I.S.?

yegbey01

Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:46 am

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 29):

Currently, there are no slots (gates) for morning departures out of YEG - which is most preferred.

2travel2know

Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:14 am

Quoting Yegbey01 (Reply 30):
Currently, there are no slots (gates) for morning departures out of YEG - which is most preferred.

At all, or just at the U.S, Port of Entry gates? Doesn't YEG have international (non-transborder) gates?

drgmobile

Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:21 am

At all, or just at the U.S, Port of Entry gates? Doesn't YEG have international (non-transborder) gates?

Not for U.S. flights. These go out of the trans-border area because U.S. customs and border protection service pre-clears flights from Canada to the U.S. before passengers board the plane.

yegbey01

Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:30 am

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 31):

There are only a few gates assigned for US flights and are usually busy in the morning

ConcordeBoy

Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:43 am

What scheduled international flights does the airport enjoy?

(that includes all international service: transborder, shorthaul, and intercon)
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

yegbey01

Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:57 am

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 34):

LHR, SEA, SFO, LAX, PHX, LAS, SLC, ORD, DEN, MSP (seasonal scheduled flights to PSP)

chris1976LBA

Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:27 am

I'm surprised that Edmonton only has direct service to LHR and LGW in the UK. With growth like 20%, I can't imagine it will be long before Manchester is served non stop (Zoom, Thomas Cook, Air Transat maybe ??) and maybe some other UK airports outside London like Glasgow and Birmingham. Great to hear that Edmonton is doing so well - it will be great to see more UK - Canadian non stop services.
"another great LBA landing"

flyb

Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:39 am

There are charters to Frankfurt, Mexico city(inbound only), Cancun.
Winter you have the usual South bound traffic and a few Asian charters.

falcon7x

Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:41 am

Flyb you forgot the seasonal service to AMS and FRA by MP and TS.

flyb

Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:58 am

I did! And AMS is one that I always enjoy seeing here.

copaair737

Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:01 am

Are there YEG-HAV flights in the winter?
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

flyb

Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:08 am

VRA not HAV.

Charters have really picked up for the winter this year...not all schedules have been released yet.

Anyone have news on any winter schedule increases?

Acey

Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:10 am

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 40):
Are there YEG-HAV flights in the winter?

It would probably only be a once weekly flight, and I don't see that here on the AC timetables.

9252fly

Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:06 am

What's the driving time between the YEG airport and YYC airport? Would that partially explain why AC is a little reluctant to expand too quickly?

flyb

Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:29 pm

2 1/2 hours

the ERAA estimates that the number of seats that drive to YYC from YEG is around 1 million a year still in 2007.

drgmobile

Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:27 pm

What's the driving time between the YEG airport and YYC airport? Would that partially explain why AC is a little reluctant to expand too quickly?

Network carriers are always reluctant to add a lot of direct international flights from non-hub cities. If they think they can make more money flowing passengers through Vancouver or Toronto, they will. It's just the nature of the model in Canada that you are more likely to get nonstop or direct service from airlines OTHER than your home carriers, unless you are talking about the leisure airlines that focus on point to point.

Think about it. A British Airways flight from a secondary Canadian city is only part about traffic between that city and London. A lot of the passengers will be flowed on to other BA destinations. For AC, though, it doesn't have its hubs in Europe so it will flow the same passengers through its hubs in Canada first; through Star partner hubs second.

Of course if there is enough of a market and the competition offers a good, direct service, then AC will consider getting into the direct market as well.

yegbey01

Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:23 pm

When YYC had 6 million passengers, it was served better than what Edmonton has now.

Even when Edmonton had 3 million pax, they had flights to LHR (CP and AC) and FRA (CP)

bottom line is that the old airport authority management was terrible and rebuilding the image of the airport is taking a lot of time

flyb

Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:52 am

That is not entirely true. Edmonton has more routes now than before.

Calgary has always benefited from being a hub for cp and ac. Not Edmonton. That explains alot. Also back the government had there hands in the mix (or had just let go).

ATHYEG333

Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:53 am

Hi

Flyb (or anyone else): Do you know anything about AC YEG-FRA during 2007 or early 2008?

I think the route would be profitable, at least during the winter season!

Acey

Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:03 am

Quoting ATHYEG333 (Reply 48):
Flyb (or anyone else): Do you know anything about AC YEG-FRA during 2007 or early 2008?

Hasn't as yet been announced, but there has been tons of speculation. Based on the success of YEG-LHR I'd expect to see it sooner rather than later.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos