IFLYMCO
Topic Author

Airtran At DAB

Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:21 pm

Greetings,

I was just wondering if anyone knew how the FL flights at DAB were doing. I know at the zenith of service there were 4x ATL and 1x BWI. Now I think there is a single departure and arrival to ATL, still good considering it was supposed to be seasonal IIRC. I have flown DCA-ATL-DAB and return twice in the past couple months and the flights to/from DAB were about 80%-90% full (and the DCA flights have been 100%) That being said, any FL employees know how the loads are or if FL has been happy with DAB? Thanks for any info!!
Now it should be "IFLYDCA"

deltadawg

RE: Airtran At DAB

Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:32 am

I am not an employee but I have flown several of the segments in the past month or so.

I flew ATL-DAB, 6-26-07, coach appx. 90% full, Biz Class 100% full.

DAB-ATL, 6-28-07, coach appx. 80-85% full, Biz Class, one empty chair.

I understadn the DAB-BWI is gone for the summer right now.

For the most part I believe it is going well for them though.
GO Dawgs, Sic' em, woof woof woof

B777ER

Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:37 am

DAB-BWI - canceled

DAB-ATL - reduced to 1 flight a day. Was supposed to be a complete withdrawal but after begging from airport authority, kept it at 1 flight.

RL757PVD

Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:40 am

The one flight was kept because the airport is providing assistance with the ground handling services

Loads for FL @ DAB have been steadily improving, though some service was trimmed back in may.june they still have 3-4 daily flights

Jan 53%
Feb 64%
Mar 74%
Apr 81%
May 89%
Jun 92%

http://www.flydaytonafirst.com/Airli...es%20Overall%20Load%20Factor07.pdf

Looks like things have picked up quite well for them, I imagine additional frequencies will begin to appear around the holoday season
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

quickmover

Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:41 am

Does the Daytona area slow down that much during the summer? I would have thought that with the full flights into MCO, DAB might be a reliever for more than 1 a day. Does Delta and Continental cut back DAB as well?

RL757PVD

Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:41 am

Quoting B777ER (Reply 2):
DAB-BWI - canceled

I believe that flight still exceeded expectations, and i would expect it back during the peak season next year, perhaps saturday only beyond that next year.

Rookinla

Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:54 am

Quoting B777ER (Reply 2):
DAB-BWI - canceled

Not exactly true. The DAB-BWI flight was announced as seasonal from the very beginning. The season is over and so is the flight...temporarily. You can pretty much assume that it will be back next year.

B777ER

Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:31 pm

Quoting Quickmover (Reply 4):
Does the Daytona area slow down that much during the summer? I would have thought that with the full flights into MCO, DAB might be a reliever for more than 1 a day. Does Delta and Continental cut back DAB as well?

You can see from the load factor percentage posted above, the loads were actually increasing going into summer. I have lived here practically all my life and no, it does not slow down here. Many families come here to go the beach and what not. If FL would have kept all 3 dailies to ATL, they would have gotten pretty good loads on them. I really cannot understand why they cut back when loads were increasing unless advanced bookings were down.
DL beefed up all their ATL-DAB flights to mainline MD88 aircraft when FL came here. As soon as they left, they went back to a mix of mainline and regionals. Go figure.

KPWMSpotter

Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:37 pm

What exactly is "seasonal" for a Florida route anyways?
Up here at PWM, I'm used to Seasonal meaning June-September service. I'm assuming DAB sees it somewhat the other way around? What months would BWI come back for if FL decides to return the service another year?
I reject your reality and substitute my own...

RL757PVD

Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:09 pm

Quoting B777ER (Reply 7):
You can see from the load factor percentage posted above, the loads were actually increasing going into summer. I have lived here practically all my life and no, it does not slow down here

DAB does slow down in the summer, load factors went up as seat capacity was trimmed back to reflect that, but DAB is stronger in the summer then they used to be

Quoting KPWMSpotter (Reply 8):
What exactly is "seasonal" for a Florida route anyways?
Up here at PWM, I'm used to Seasonal meaning June-September service. I'm

DAB's peak season is February through April, as is for most of florida, demand drops off but remains somewhat strong for the summer, but literally falls off a cliff in september

NASCARAirforce

Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:48 pm

Quoting RL757PVD (Reply 9):
DAB's peak season is February through April, as is for most of florida, demand drops off but remains somewhat strong for the summer, but literally falls off a cliff in september

Not sure I totally agree with that. They beef up a lot at DAB during the Christmas season too. Delta was regularly flying in 737-800s, Continental was bringing in 737-700s and 800s, and Comair or ASA can't remember had that weekend flight to LGA last Christmas season. Usually around Christmas Continental would upgrade to a 737-500 from the ERJ-145.

Although the most stuff happens around Daytona from Feb-April (Daytona 500, Bike Week, Spring Break), you usually don't see an increase in frequencies then - although in January we would see the Cleveland CO ERJ flight start on weekends.

I am wondering how Skybus flying out of St Augustine is going to effect loads at DAB too. St. Augustin is in DAB's capture area.

RL757PVD

Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:08 pm

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 10):
Not sure I totally agree with that.

Take a look at what happens to the seat counts... big drops from May to June and from Aug to Sept

For airports like DAB and RSW September can often be near 50% of what March is thats a pretty big seasonal difference

quickmover

Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:19 pm

We had our Orlando vacation a few weeks ago and honestly, I would almost consider using DAB instead of MCO if the price was right. DAB is still within an hour of the theme parks and you have beach to boot. The airport is a breeze to navigate. I like it, but fares to MCO were enough cheaper to keep us over there.

United_fan

Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:38 pm

If nothing else,they are competing with DL for carrying the deceased from DAB. I read here that that's one of the reasons DL still uses mainline there ...
Champagne For My Real Friends,and Real Pain For My Sham Friends

xjramper

Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:40 pm

Quoting Quickmover (Reply 4):

When FL was at the peak of their operation, we had all MD-88s. Now we switch back and forth between a CR7 and an MD88 on the noon turn on certain days and the first morning turn and the last turn are both CR7s.

Continental on the other hand had, for some reason, only one aircraft daily (1x735 EWR) with the exception of Saturdays when they had four flights, three ERJ's to EWR and one to CLE. Now they operate only 1x 735 to EWR daily.

I wish to see more opportunity in DAB, however, I don't think the airport honestly cares.

XJR
Look ma' no hands!

RL757PVD

Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:00 am

Quoting XJrampeR (Reply 14):
I wish to see more opportunity in DAB, however, I don't think the airport honestly cares.

The airport cares, and the often show they care by dishing out hundreds of thousdands of dollars each year to get more air service. the problem is the huge vacuum that is MCO that just sucks everything in due to volume, seat capacity, access to more low fares and nonstop choices.

luisca

Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:42 am

Quoting RL757PVD (Reply 15):
The airport cares, and the often show they care by dishing out hundreds of thousdands of dollars each year to get more air service. the problem is the huge vacuum that is MCO that just sucks everything in due to volume, seat capacity, access to more low fares and nonstop choices.

I live in MLB and I have to go to MCO every time I want to travel, I would not mind making one stop in ATL if it meant not having to park at MCO, I spent over 70 dollars on my last trip. The thing is that factoring, parking, tolls, gas and everything fares still end up cheaper out of MCO. Traffic would pick up a lot at MLB and DAB if LCCs flew in, prices are prohibitive right now. For example, I paid 198 return to ATL from MCO on NK, on DL it was 433 dollars out of MLB!
If it ain't Boeing (or Embraer ;-)) I ain't Going!

B777ER

Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:46 am

Every year when I take my vacation, I used to drive to MCO and leave my vehicle there for about 7-8 days. Since they hiked the parking fee to 17.50 a day, it has balanced out flying out of DAB now.

MCOflyer

Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:26 am

Quoting B777ER (Reply 17):
Since they hiked the parking fee to 17.50 a day, it has balanced out flying out of DAB now.

isn't it only 7.5 a day?

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

luisca

Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:38 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 18):
isn't it only 7.5 a day

I think its 9 in the cheapest on airport lot, the cheapest ive seen out of the airport is Park Bark and fly for 6.99
If it ain't Boeing (or Embraer ;-)) I ain't Going!

United_fan

Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:49 am

Quoting Luisca (Reply 19):
isn't it only 7.5 a day

I think its 9 in the cheapest on airport lot, the cheapest ive seen out of the airport is Park Bark and fly for 6.99

Jeez,ROC is only $4.50 for the remote lot...
Champagne For My Real Friends,and Real Pain For My Sham Friends

CO777DAL

Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:10 am

Continental on the other hand had, for some reason, only one aircraft daily (1x735 EWR) with the exception of Saturdays when they had four flights, three ERJ's to EWR and one to CLE. Now they operate only 1x 735 to EWR daily.

I often wonder the demand of a IAH-DAB. I’m surprised CO hasn’t tried it with all the traffic at IAH, I think they could fill at least 1 ERJ to DAB. I always have to fly into MCO and all the CO flights from IAH-MCO are always full. It is just such a pain to rent a car at MCO and drive all the way to DAB. DAB is such an easy airport to fly in and out off. Yes I would give up F in 752 or 753 to MCO if I could get a direct flight to DAB in a RJ no less from IAH.

When I was in college I took CO DAB-TPA and then TPA to IAH and DAL. I know I could take AirTran out of DFW for cheap to DAB, but they are not an option, neither is Delta.
Worked Hard. Flew Right. Farewell, Continental. Thanks for the memories.

RL757PVD

Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:20 am

IAH has been talked about on and off for a while, but the pax #s at DAB heavily favor north-south traffic. When DL did weekend only DAB-DFW it did ok, but not great, but it was also weekend only and to a weaker DL hub. I do think IAH would do good, but perhaps they are hesitant on doing it 1x because there would be no other options throughout the day (LAX via EWR is not a feasible option)

NASCARAirforce

Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:48 pm

I know a lot of the people high up at DAB, I worked there and being it is a small airport you meet the various people. Also while I went to ERAU, I did a research project on getting more service at DAB and I worked with the people at DAB who are in charge of getting new airline service. Believe me they bent over backwards to get United in, even though United is now gone. Waived landing fees for several months, passengers flying United got free parking etc.

isn't it only 7.5 a day?

It is only about $6 or 7 at DAB, but in the main garages at MCO it is $17 or $18 - though you get 40 minutes free.

Quoting CO777DAL (Reply 21):
I often wonder the demand of a IAH-DAB. I’m surprised CO hasn’t tried it with all the traffic at IAH, I think they could fill at least 1 ERJ to DAB.

I know DAB is a north south airport, but it would be nice for them to have a flight to DFW, IAH or DEN for east west routes. I think they could at least do ERJ service to IAH, though again most people flying to Daytona Beach don't come from further west than Chicago.

xpfg

Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:29 am

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 23):

I know DAB is a north south airport, but it would be nice for them to have a flight to DFW, IAH or DEN for east west routes. I think they could at least do ERJ service to IAH, though again most people flying to Daytona Beach don't come from further west than Chicago.

I'm curious to know what more could come of DAB. I live on the west coast and fly to DAB almost bi-weekly at times, but it's a pain from the west coast at times, especially for a non-rev. DL to ATL and over is the easier option obviously, but I really wouldn't mind another alternative like F9 to DEN....however, I've noticed F9 to be poor with marketing and flight planning with opening new stations before pulling them.

A prime example of F9 failure is FAT. Why they decided to go to 1x daily on an Airbus is beyond me. It was extremely inconvenient to be coming back from a trip, and have to wait literally for HOURS for a late PM flight from DEN-FAT. Not only this, but they decided to not do really any advertising. I really think they shot themselves in the foot when they did this. FAT-DEN is a very profitable market, as shown by OO/UA's performance. The flights are almost always booked full on a daily basis.

apodino

Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:37 am

Having gone to ERAU myself for six years, having used DAB numerous times, and knowing the area, I firmly believe that the airport is a goldmine waiting for someone to tap into it. There are lots of people up in DAB who hate the drive to MCO, which can be over 2 hours during Rush Hour, and are screaming for service out of DAB. Personally, I think its a great RJ airport, even with DL running mainline into there. I think US would do well out of CLT here, and I think American could do well out of DFW, and remember DL ran a DFW flight out of DAB before they dehubbed it.

One of the things I have never understood about the way passengers book air travel is this, They always choose the lowest airfare, but yet, don't do an in depth analysis to see what actually is the cheapest option. For example, a typical Delta fare out of DAB might cost 50 dollars more than MCO. Now a typical ERAU student (Just to use an example), might see this and then shell out the 50 dollars less to fly out of MCO. However, as some of you may know, a good chunk of the ERAU students who fly out of MCO use a shuttle service called DOTS. The problem being, is that DOTS is $35 in one direction. If you have a round trip ticket, you are going to be shelling out $70 extra dollars. If you add that to the airfare, all of a sudden, Delta out of DAB is a much better option than MCO. Now assuming it was driven by a friend, you would have to figure on Gas. (My guess is you would burn 3 gallons in each direction, so assuming $3.00 a gallon, you would be shelling out $18 in gas, possibly $36 if they did two roundtrips to both drop you off and pick you up. Plus there are some tolls, and if memory serves me correctily, its about $5.00 in each direction on route 417, or the Beeline from Titusville. Thats another $10. All of a sudden, the convenience of DAB makes much more economic sense. And don't even get me started if you have to park a car somewhere. I once paid $240 for a Round Trip to BOS on DL when I could have flown for them at $180 out of MCO, but i realized that I would pay less money by flying out of DAB then I would if I flew out of MCO.

This isn't just true about MCO-DAB. but a lot of other places as well. It could actually be somewhat applied to the ILG vs PHL thread. It can be applied to MKE vs Chicago airports, or MKE vs ATW and GRB. It could be applied to the BOS vs MHT/PVD debate. Lots of places it can be applied to. But my thesis is, just because you are buying the cheapest ticket, doesn't mean you will be spending less money overall. And I actually firmly believe that if passengers started realizing this and did more in depth analysis on this, that the airlines themselves would actually be in better good shape.

xjramper

Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:16 pm

Quoting RL757PVD (Reply 15):

That huge vacuum that is MCO was not sucking properly when FL was at its peak then. What happened to the catchment when FL was running 6x daily? DL was running all MD88s into DAB and united had their 2x to IAD. That is just above 24k available seats just for FL and UAx, and if the loads were as high as they say they were (at 80%), where did the 20,000 + people go? Right back to MCO because DAB won't get air service in here.

Some people will go out of their way to avoid MCO. Not only is parking a pain in the butt, they have been and probably will be constructing at the only exit for the airport off of 528 for quite some time.

Honestly, we all know that there is a market that is willing to come to DAB, we just need to give it to them.

Believe me they bent over backwards to get United in, even though United is now gone. Waived landing fees for several months, passengers flying United got free parking etc.

I know, I worked for united. Thing is, they shouldn't have to bend over backwards for any airline, airlines should be knocking at their door. I understand they have to prove that their is a definite need for the service, but the airport shouldn't have to give away the farm just to get two daily flights that are off peak business time and off international flight time. Heck, they didn't even get first class or explus into DAB except for the off chance of a diversion or an aircraft swap.

What ever happened to advertising for United Express? As it stood at the peak of United's run in DAB, there were apparently only two billboards that advertised air service, both of which were located in really random areas (Holly Hill and about two miles from the state pen on 92 in deland) and nowhere near where they should be, ie the airport area, race track, etc. Heck, when I was working an IAD flight on a Saturday, I was putting up the Chicago sign as well and I had a few angry passengers come up to me and ask why they didn't know about that flight. I know it was a Saturday only flight, but come on, give it business!

Personally, I would love to see the airport go not for profit. I bet you there would be a significant change in the amount of aircraft flying into DAB, not only on frequencies but new airlines as well.

Quoting CO777DAL (Reply 21):
I’m surprised CO hasn’t tried it with all the traffic at IAH, I think they could fill at least 1 ERJ to DAB

I bet you they could fill a 733 daily to IAH, but they don't really ask me.

Quoting Xpfg (Reply 24):
I'm curious to know what more could come of DAB. I live on the west coast and fly to DAB almost bi-weekly at times, but it's a pain from the west coast at times, especially for a non-rev.

lol. This airport could be rocking. I have no doubt in my mind. Expansion of the airport would be necessary, but I would love to see the airport go with its "plan" and extend the terminal out another 6 gates to the grass between A1 and N5. That would be a start.

Let's start with the current airlines.

Delta
Delta is rocking. Fresh out of bankruptcy and the paint still wet on the new livery, this would be the biggest player in DAB. The New York area is a big one for DAB, why not challenge CO on their one daily flight to EWR? Mix it up, throw a few aircraft in there to perhaps LGA or JFK. The LGA flight, for the most part, kicked butt. This time around, lets upgrade the equipment, perhaps a CR9 or an E70.

What happened to CVG? It seems to me that DL perhaps is looking to make that into a mini hub the way they are going lol. DAB needs CVG again, not only to add another destination, but to send aircraft to another DL hub. This not only strengthens the route map out of DAB, but gives fliers another option. Aircraft on this run shouldn't run smaller than a CR7, preferably an E70, but something to restart the DAB-CVG route.

Sticking with the hubs, why not SLC? I fully support a DAB-SLC run for two reasons. The first completes my hub strengthening activity. You are offering your customers connections out of all three major hubs, BIG strategy plus in my book. The other reason is folks who are going to the west coast often have to make dual connections (ie DAB-ATL-SLC-XXX). Aircraft on this route...no smaller than a 738.

When DL cut back on some of those Comair flights into MCO, where did those enplanements go? I am not really going to get into the smaller cities, but what if DAB picked up some of those random central Florida routes?

CO
CO has their great customer service and is world renown for it. Why then just shed just one flight a day of your greatness? I am only half joking. One flight a day is not enough. What happened with all of their business passengers? Make them go up a day early? I think not! The aircraft is great for that route, just why not up the frequencies 3x daily.

Again, in my hub route theory, we shall stick to the basics with this one and just add CLE to the list. ERJ or 737, doesn't matter, just send a flight to a less congested part of the country for connections.

As of right now, out of DAB you have your choice as far east as EWR and as far west as ATL. With my SLC idea aside, why not add a CO flight or two daily to IAH. Again, CO would be solid with covering all three hubs, and have a decent, solid timetable.

FL

I don't really have anything to add for airtran, but to increase their frequencies. BWI wouldn't be a bad thing, but lets just see the frequencies up to ATL.

---------------

I figured we would have SkyTeam covered just fine. lol

OneWorld

American would be a great addition to DAB. Two destinations come to mind: MIA and ORD. A handful of ATR's or ERJ's to MIA would be great. Heck, if AA can support multiple A300s from MCO-MIA a few ATR's or ERJ's should be no problem to fill. Throw a few Super80s into DAB for the ORD run.

Not only will this diversify the alliance base in DAB, it will add more flights.

Star Alliance

Two key players: US and UA.

UA needs to come back with a vengeance into DAB. I am not talking something crazy like mainline, but an upgrade from a CR2 and Mesa. IAD, ORD, and DEN a must. Atleast a CR7 from OO to IAD and ORD. DEN needs an E70 from
S5. UA already has the market here, their loyal customer base. Let's not lose it by letting time slip away.

US needs to step up to the plate with as small as a CRJ or bigger CR7/9 to CLT. To compete with the west coast destinations, perhaps toss an HP metal aircraft to either LAS or PHX.

---------
Ok. I am done rambling for the night, because these are all just hopes I have for an airport that I fully support. And none of these will actually happen because the airports that I like, well suck. This is just my way of seeing the future for an airport that is, as Apodino says, "a goldmine waiting for someone to tap into it. I will never stop trying until I see results.

I may be a tired camper by that point.  Silly

XJR
Look ma' no hands!

MCOflyer

Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:31 pm

It is only about $6 or 7 at DAB, but in the main garages at MCO it is $17 or $18 - though you get 40 minutes free.

Isn't sat parking only 7 dollars?

XJRamper,

I think CO should do 1x daily to IAH in the morning and 2x daily to EWR. One in the morning and one in the evening. I could US adding a PHL run 1x daily. I wish B6 would come in but chances of that are slim to none since they have MCO. Then again, it may be possible with daily E190 service.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

panam330

Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:51 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 27):
Isn't sat parking only 7 dollars?

$9/day at MCO, as mentioned above.

DeltaRules

Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:16 am

Is CO still running a 733 or 73G daily to EWR? I remember seeing one daily a few times both during the week & on the weekends while I was there in June.

Quoting XJRamper (Reply 26):
As it stood at the peak of United's run in DAB, there were apparently only two billboards that advertised air service, both of which were located in really random areas (Holly Hill and about two miles from the state pen on 92 in deland) and nowhere near where they should be, ie the airport area, race track, etc.

Wasn't there a billboard advertising the DC flights on ISB just west of US 1? The picture faced west, but you would see it traveling toward the beach. There have also been DL & FL billboards at that location over time (it's right next to a Checkers restaurant, IIRC).
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

panam330

Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:24 am

Quoting DeltaRules (Reply 29):
Is CO still running a 733 or 73G daily to EWR?

4x weekly 733, 3x weekly 735, 1x weekly ERJ. 2 flights per day on Thursdays only.

xjramper

Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:58 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 27):
I think CO should do 1x daily to IAH in the morning and 2x daily to EWR. One in the morning and one in the evening. I could US adding a PHL run 1x daily. I wish B6 would come in but chances of that are slim to none since they have MCO. Then again, it may be possible with daily E190 service.

I agree with you on CO. I still would like to see 3x into EWR, because one flight a day is crap. IAH flight, they should have that run 2x one in the morning and one in the evening.

As per your B6 not happening, you may not want to discount that theory. using your logic, FL should have had "slim to none" chance because of ops in MCO. MCO is one of their hubs, and yet we had service.

I would love to see any form of new air service into DAB. Lets see what happens.  Smile

XJR
Look ma' no hands!

burnsie28

Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:48 am

Doesn't seem to be that good for FL in DAB, if they were going to drop DAB all together and is still running a bunch of flights down there, mine August 6th is already booked solid.

CitrusCritter

Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:41 am

Quoting XJRamper (Reply 26):
Not only is parking a pain in the butt, they have been and probably will be constructing at the only exit for the airport off of 528 for quite some time.

You need to get on the Cargo Road and take it down past B6's place, where it drops you off on Goldenrod, which also has a 528 exit. This is great for going east-bound. If going west-bound, you can bypass the 528 by taking Bear Rd. down around the B-52 park where the old terminal used to be and get to Tradeport, then down McCoy Rd to Sand Lake to jump on 528. The latter is a bit out of the way and the toll is probably worth it, especially if you don't know Orlando or are in a hurry.

DCA-ROCguy

Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:13 am

But my thesis is, just because you are buying the cheapest ticket, doesn't mean you will be spending less money overall. And I actually firmly believe that if passengers started realizing this and did more in depth analysis on this, that the airlines themselves would actually be in better good shape.

Apodino--this thesis comes up every now and then at the forum, and it seems to me that each trip is a judgment call. One needs to do some comparison and see how much one would save, and weigh the importance of nonstop vs. connection. For instance, back before AirTran came into Rochester, I used to fly WN to Buffalo on some trips. But I wouldn't ask my parents to drive 1:20 to BUF unless I was saving at least $100--which back when US Airways and United controlled fares on ROC-DC Area, did sometimes happen.

It isn't clear to me why passengers doing better homework would mean the airlines would be in better shape. They'd still choose the most overall reasonably-priced option. At DAB, from the information given above, it sounds to me that if price alone is one's concern, one might want to be able to save $100-120 before one drives to MCO.

There's also the factor that from MCO or SFB one might get a nonstop one many routes that one couldn't get at DAB--which itself can be a huge factor. I book nonstops whenever possible if the price is fair, just to avoid connections and additional opportunity for delay. On business trips, my employer quite reasonably wants to save money rather than fund an FF habit, and I wouldn't make one a priority anyway. My time is worth nonstops--which from the DC area can be on many different carriers from one of three accessible airports.

Good luck to DAB in growing its air service.

Jim
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

apodino

Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:04 am

Quoting DCA-ROCguy (Reply 34):
It isn't clear to me why passengers doing better homework would mean the airlines would be in better shape. They'd still choose the most overall reasonably-priced option. At DAB, from the information given above, it sounds to me that if price alone is one's concern, one might want to be able to save $100-120 before one drives to MCO.

The reason I said this is because if that $50 that is going to the cost of getting to and from a big airport, like MCO (Actually over $60.00), instead is going to the airlines themselves, then the passenger is still shelling out the same amount of money, but the airlines are getting a bigger share of it than they would if they paid Dots $60 or if they paid for gas and parking. You have to agree that when airlines get a bigger share of the total cost of a trip, then they are in better shape overall. That makes perfect sense.

xjramper

Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:31 am

Quoting DCA-ROCguy (Reply 34):
There's also the factor that from MCO or SFB one might get a nonstop one many routes that one couldn't get at DAB--which itself can be a huge factor. I book nonstops whenever possible if the price is fair, just to avoid connections and additional opportunity for delay. On business trips, my employer quite reasonably wants to save money rather than fund an FF habit, and I wouldn't make one a priority anyway. My time is worth nonstops--which from the DC area can be on many different carriers from one of three accessible airports.

This is a great time to invoke my argument about point to point. It is going to eventually have to happen. I am not saying obliterate the hub and spoke system, because it still is sort of necessary. But there eventually needs to be more of a point to point system. This way the airlines make more money and they could potentially decrease the amount of flights at hubs overall and diminish the gridlock that is the northeastern corridor (and elsewhere too..ie ord, lax, etc etc). But I feel as if I am preaching to the choir now.

XJR
Look ma' no hands!

CitrusCritter

Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:37 am

Quoting XJRamper (Reply 36):

The problem is that markets like DAB can not support a significant number of P2P flights. Besides the hubs, to what destinations could DAB fill a plane? Until the operating/cost characteristics of the RJs come way down, markets like DAB will only see hub service. It is not practical to fly CRJs from small markets to anywhere but the hubs because of the costs involved. And I highly doubt similar small market scould even fill CRJs to non-hubs.

CO777DAL

Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:36 am

Just for the heck of it I wanted to see how CO would route me from DAL to DAB

I got some interesting routing all from $450 to $700 round trip. All of these were also cheaper depending on date than flying DAL-IAH-EWR-DAB or vice versa.
Some of the more interesting routes
DAL-IAH-DFW-EWR-DAB
DAL-IAH-MCO-EWR-DAB

Return
DAB-EWR-JAX-IAH-DAL
DAB-EWR-TPA-IAH-DAL
Worked Hard. Flew Right. Farewell, Continental. Thanks for the memories.

xjramper

Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:48 pm

Quoting CitrusCritter (Reply 37):
The problem is that markets like DAB can not support a significant number of P2P flights.

What is your definition of Daytona's market?

Daytona is the perfect market between JAX and MCO. Most people hate MCO just due to the size, parking, and time it takes to get from car to gate. The last time i was in MCO, I timed how long it would take me to get from the Blue lot to the gate. Total time (and the ticket counter was empty and I used my badge to get me through the crew line) took me almost an hour and a half. Now imagine how long it would have taken me if the line was out the door for the ticket counter and i was just a normal passenger with no badge.

That being said, I couldn't count the amount of times that, when taking bag deals, I was writing down addresses for orlando hotels. A lot of people fly into DAB for the Orlando attractions.

As i said above, we had an additional 28,000 people per month fly out of DAB. The market is there, they just need to untap it.

XJR
Look ma' no hands!

ClearedDirect

Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:52 am

Quoting CO777DAL (Reply 38):
DAL-IAH-DFW-EWR-DAB
DAL-IAH-MCO-EWR-DAB

Return
DAB-EWR-JAX-IAH-DAL
DAB-EWR-TPA-IAH-DAL

Those look like some excellent mileage run schedules!!