commavia

New Eagle Routes: LAX/DFW-SAF, RDU-XNA

Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:53 pm

Heard through the grapevine ...

Effective 13 December 2007, American Eagle will be launching flights to Santa Fe, New Mexico from both Dallas/Fort Worth and Los Angeles, and from 4 November 2007, American Eagle will be launching nonstop flights from Raleigh/Durham to Northwest Arkansas.

About SAF: interesting move, and no doubt the DFW flights will do well, but the LAX flights are an interesting move because while they will serve a strong niche seasonal travel market, they will be competing directly with Delta. That being said, I think that AA's huge FF base in the LA area should help them do just fine relative to Delta in the market.

About RDU-XNA: makes sense, given the huge AA/Eagle presence in Wal*Mart/Tyson central (Northwest Arkansas), and this will link XNA directly into some of the east coast's larger business markets and connecting hubs not served by AA from XNA, like BOS, JFK and EWR, plus provide more connection opportunities to cities like LGA and DCA.

RL757PVD

RE: New Eagle Routes: LAX/DFW-SAF, RDU-XNA

Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:56 pm

geesh... i knew XNA was a good market for AA but wow. XNA will now have:
LGA
DCA
RDU
MIA
DFW
LAX
ORD
STL

heck, wonder if we will see an AUS-XNA!
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

commavia

Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:44 pm

Quoting RL757PVD (Reply 1):
geesh... i knew XNA was a good market for AA but wow. XNA will now have:
LGA
DCA
RDU
MIA
DFW
LAX
ORD
STL

I agree. The level of service that mainline and Eagle can sustain at XNA really is impressive. The market is large and growing, so it air capacity there may well just continue to grow!

PanAm747

Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:51 pm

How is American Eagle doing with planes nowadays? I keep hearing a.netter's saying, "they're stretched pretty thin", but are more planes being received and put into service?

Congrats to XNA for all their new and sustained service! Poor little stepchild FSM at least got DL to ATL...

I would have hoped that BFL might get a return of American (Eagle) to DFW...  pray  ...hey, it worked getting United to DEN!!
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

DAL767400ER

Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:26 am

Quoting RL757PVD (Reply 1):

Perhaps AA will soon make XNA their new hub  Silly . XNA for them should be on the level of BNA and SJC flight-wise, or is it still smaller?

casinterest

Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:42 am

I want to see MAH weigh in on this one. This kinda goes against the whole Hub Fying bit out of RDU....
What are the passenger numbers for XNA-RDU currently?
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

stlgph

Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:56 am

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 4):
How is American Eagle doing with planes nowadays? I keep hearing a.netter's saying, "they're stretched pretty thin", but are more planes being received and put into service?

There's been a couple of route pull downs lately ... they're dotted around these boards somewhere.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

elmothehobo

Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:06 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 11):
There's been a couple of route pull downs lately ... they're dotted around these boards somewhere.

Most recently LaGuardia/Logan-Bangor. A bit of capacity will be coming from that.

IADLHR

Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:07 am

Quoting Commavia (Thread starter):
About SAF: interesting move, and no doubt the DFW flights will do well, but the LAX flights are an interesting move because while they will serve a strong niche seasonal travel market, they will be competing directly with Delta. That being said, I think that AA's huge FF base in the LA area should help them do just fine relative to Delta in the market

I am not surprised at LAX-SAF. There is a staggering amount of visitors from LA to the Santa Fe area. Staggering indeed, much of it from the entertainment industry. There are many, many people who commute to LA from SAF as their work schedules in LA dictate.

1337Delta764

Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:09 am

Hmm, both Delta and American doing SAF-LAX. Neither Delta nor American operate an ABQ-LAX route; that service is handled by Southwest. I wonder if this will draw Santa Fe locals away from ABQ to use SAF instead.
The Pink Delta 767-400ER - The most beautiful aircraft in the sky

commavia

Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:16 am

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Reply 23):
Hmm, both Delta and American doing SAF-LAX. Neither Delta nor American operate an ABQ-LAX route; that service is handled by Southwest. I wonder if this will draw Santa Fe locals away from ABQ to use SAF instead.

Assuming that the fares are at least reasonably competitive, I can't see how this would possibly not pull at least some traffic away from Southwest's ABQ-LAX flights. Saving people the 1 hour drive to ABQ is enticing, plus the relatively short length of flight (sub-2 hr block) shouldn't make the RJ an issue.

ABQ747

Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:48 am

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Reply 9):
Neither Delta nor American operate an ABQ-LAX route; that service is handled by Southwest.

Don't forget that UA (SkyWest) also flies that route.

http://flightaware.com/live/findflight/KABQ/KLAX
http://flightaware.com/live/findflig...te.rvt?origin=KABQ&destination=ZLA
The reason New Mexico is so windy is because Texas sucks and Arizona blows.

stlgph

Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:52 am

Quoting Commavia (Reply 2):
The market is large and growing, so it air capacity there may well just continue to grow!

Is AA exclusive to Wal Mart travel contracts?
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

blueheronNC

Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:05 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 12):

and, as a follow-up, how much business does Northwest Arkansas do in Great Britain or Europe? I wonder if the XNA-RDU flight is in part supposed to serve as a dedicated tie-in to RDU-LHR?

1337Delta764

Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:11 am

I wonder what other potential destinations can be served from SAF. I am thinking if these other routes are a success, United may upgrade the SAF-DEN route to RJs and operate them under their own United Express banner rather than via their codeshare partner Great Lakes Airlines. I also think that Delta may start an SAF-SLC route via SkyWest, and CO may start an SAF-IAH route via Continental Express. Someone in the past has stated that an ATL route may work, but a CRJ-200 may have problems on the route, especially in the summer. The infrastructure at SAF is currently designed to only handle aircraft up to 60 seats. A CRJ-700, while capable of handling an SAF-ATL route, may be too large for the airport's current infrastructure.

New Mexico Airlines recently started an SAF-ABQ route, I wonder how it is doing. Once the New Mexico Rail Runner Express runs to Santa Fe, I don't know if this route could survive.

Can anyone think of other potential routes.
The Pink Delta 767-400ER - The most beautiful aircraft in the sky

BCAInfoSys

Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:11 am

DL in SAF? I live here and that's news to me. Is this service running or when is it starting?

DL, AA and XJ coming into SAF, wow. Up until now I thought the only commercial service SAF had was the Great Lakes Beech 1900D's to DEN.
Militant Agnostic - I don't know and you don't either.

AeroWesty

Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:19 am

Quoting BlueheronNC (Reply 13):
how much business does Northwest Arkansas do in Great Britain or Europe?

Wal-Mart owns the Asda supermarket chain in the U.K., the second-largest chain in the U.K. behind Tesco.
International Homo of Mystery

commavia

Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:33 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 12):

I'm not sure if it is exclusive, but it is pretty darn huge. AA/Eagle carry most of Wal*Mart's/Tyson's corporate traffic that isn't flown on those companies' own private jets, and in addition, AA/Eagle's dominant lead in the XNA market means that most of the ancillary traffic that Wal*Mart creates -- vendors, corporate partners, etc. -- tends to be flying on AA.

SilentObserver

Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:56 am

i don't know specific details, except that the AA/Wal-Mart contact, use to require at least two-class service XNA-ORD, hence the MD-80 flight...i believe there are seat requirements on AA to provide and also Wal-Mart to utilize...apparently these flights are low load factor, high yield w/ a guarantee thrown in there...if i recall it used to be all MD-80 service and now they have raised the frequency with CR7s and dropped a few MD80s flights, but there is still one...

N1120A

Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:34 pm

Quoting Commavia (Reply 10):
I can't see how this would possibly not pull

Ouch. Careful with those double negatives.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

ABQ747

Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:46 pm

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Reply 14):
Someone in the past has stated that an ATL route may work, but a CRJ-200 may have problems on the route, especially in the summer.

A CRJ-200 would never be able to do SAF-ATL. DL would need to use a 757 on that route due to Santa Fe's high altitude and relatively short runway. MD-88's struggle to do ABQ-ATL/CVG in the summer even with ABQ's long runways and lower altitude.
The reason New Mexico is so windy is because Texas sucks and Arizona blows.

DFW13L

Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:49 pm

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Reply 9):
Neither Delta nor American operate an ABQ-LAX route

When Eagle first started flying Embraers out of LAX they were bridged through ABQ. For a short time there was a once daily DFW-ABQ-LAX run (and return). Now we just ferry them back and forth as needed. But SAF will provide a bridge route, which is always useful for maintenance planning. The DFW-ABQ was at 8am and the first MD80 was at 9am. But that was also when Eagle had PHX to LAX & SJC flights too, and that has been scaled back, so I doubt we'll see ABQ return.

Oh and yes, the capacity seems to come from the BGR closure. That's quite a bit of capacity freed up. And that's in addition to the SWF closure, all of which is EMJ flying.

[Edited 2007-07-20 11:50:43]
See, I knew American Eagle was first class all along!

CIDFlyer

Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:17 am

has all the capacity from the BGR and SWF flights been put into these new routes, or could we possibly see some new routes from MIA too?

Lexy

Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:10 am

Quoting BlueheronNC (Reply 13):
how much business does Northwest Arkansas do in Great Britain or Europe? I wonder if the XNA-RDU flight is in part supposed to serve as a dedicated tie-in to RDU-LHR?

I would doubt it has much to do with the London flight.
Nashville, Tennessee KBNA

ERJ170

Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:32 am

RDU-XNA has been loaded..

1x daily

RDU (6:00pm) - XNA (7:45pm)
XNA (6:45am) - RDU (9:50am)

SAF has been loaded..

DFW 1x daily

SAF (12:55pm) - DFW (3:35pm)
DFW (11:25am) - SAF (12:25pm)

LAX 2x weekly (F/Sun)

SAF (2:45pm) - LAX (4:00pm)
LAX (11:15am) - SAF (2:15pm)
Aiming High and going far..

ERJ170

Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:22 am

Here is the official RDU-XNA announcement..

American Eagle expands from Northwest Arkansas

Through service: BOS
Connections: LGA, CMH, BDL, and EWR
Aircraft: Embraer 135
Reason: For the XNA customer, not the RDU to allow day-trip service..

XNA: 24 daily AA/AE flights & 8 destinations
RDU: 68 daily AA/AE flights & 17 destinations

flyby519

Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:41 am

Quoting CIDflyer (Reply 22):
has all the capacity from the BGR and SWF flights been put into these new routes, or could we possibly see some new routes from MIA too?

The reduction of BGR service has free-ed up some E135s for the DCA-XNA service as well as this RDU-XNA service. BGR used to be a major maintenance base, but was recently closed. The new XNA routes are partially to provide maintenance coverage for the northeast flying. Reducing the SWF flying frees up some E145/140 a/c out of ORD, which I am guessing will be shuttled to DFW to cover the DFW-SAF routes. AE hasn't received any new a/c in about 2-3 years. Every new route that comes out means a reduction elsewhere in the system. All a/c are being used to the max and are indeed stretched very thin.
These postings or comments are not a company-sponsored source of communication.

casinterest

Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:47 am

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 25):
Reason: For the XNA customer, not the RDU to allow day-trip service..

Kinda means, a hub type activity.

Definately seems to indicate that American is looking for ways to connect the Southeast/Midwest to Big East coast cities without going through ORD/DFW. Wonder how many more cities might get announced this way. I wouldn't be surprised to see BNA/MOB/PNS/MEM.......multiple others.

belizexp

Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:49 am

Quoting BCAInfoSys (Reply 15):
DL in SAF? I live here and that's news to me.

Yes DL Connx (ExpressJet) via LAX..
Belize my home sweet home...

FlyPNS1

Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:04 am

Quoting CasInterest (Reply 27):
I wouldn't be surprised to see BNA/MOB/PNS/MEM.......multiple others.

I'd be surprised to see these routes. AA did try PNS-RDU on the weekends, but pulled it quickly. I do think that AA at times regrets giving up their East Coast hub at RDU. They've done well connecting many of the southern markets to ORD and DFW, but the missing piece is the East Coast.

I think the RDU-XNA is more about connecting two AA focus markets because each has a strong base of AA customers and it allows the XNA customers another way to get to the Northeast. However, markets like BNA/MOB/PNS/MEM are not focus cities for AA. And in the cases of BNA/MEM, they both already have a decent amount of nonstop service to the Northeast. PNS/MOB don't have nonstop service to the Northeast, but they have connections via ATL/CLT. AA would have a tough time against that if they were to use RDU (a major reason AA chopped the RDU hub the first time).

ERJ170

Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:07 am

Where are the American Eagle maintenance bases/hangers? is there one in XNA?

flyby519

Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:15 am

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 30):

Here is a link to the A&P Mechanic job opening positions for AE. All of those locations (except Bangor ME) are MX bases. They do have hangars for heavy MX in XNA, but not RDU. Hence the new routing.
http://americaneaglecareers.com/apm.html

[Edited 2007-07-23 21:17:27]

HVNandrew

Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:20 am

Quoting Belizexp (Reply 28):
Yes DL Connx (ExpressJet) via LAX..

Has this been announced yet? Because it's not in any of the schedules through November...

belizexp

Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:39 am

Quoting HVNandrew (Reply 32):
Has this been announced yet? Because it's not in any of the schedules through November...

SAF-LAX DL7708 dep SAF 8AM arr LAX 9AM
LAX-SAF DL7707 dep LAX 6PM arr SAF 9PM
1X Daily Starting Oct 5
Belize my home sweet home...

casinterest

Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:37 am

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 29):
I think the RDU-XNA is more about connecting two AA focus markets because each has a strong base of AA customers and it allows the XNA customers another way to get to the Northeast

XNA, doesn't have the traffic volume to outpace even Mob or PNS. However the MTC shed may account for the route.
It just seems that if AA has loyal flyers in PNS and MOB that fly West, why not give them a reasonable route NE.

RDU does not have the ambition to be a hub again, but recent decisions by AA seem to indicate that AA and Eagel are interested in doing more than O&D out of RDU.

FlyPNS1

Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:39 am

Quoting CasInterest (Reply 34):
XNA, doesn't have the traffic volume to outpace even Mob or PNS.

Actually, XNA produces more traffic volume than MOB, but less than PNS. In June, XNA had about 56K enplanements versus 30K at MOB and 80K at PNS. However, it's not about volume, it's about high-yield corporate traffic. XNA has Walmart and Tysons which generate some premium traffic demand. Neither MOB nor PNS have anything equivalent in terms of corporate traffic.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see both MOB and PNS get more nonstop service. However, I just don't see a lot of viability in RDU unless AA adds a lot more connecting opportunities (which I don't think they will).

MAH4546

Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:45 am

Just to add, the flight is being added per Wal*Mart's request. While the local market is not huge, when you combine the local market that with much smoother, easier, and quicker connections to Boston, Hartford, and Columbus than provided through other cities served from XNA, I bet you'll have a winner.

Wal*Mart has also asked for a second daily Miami flight, that will depart MIA in the morning, arrive at MIA in the evening. I myself am shocked at how well MIA-XNA has done. They basiclly do dictate how AA works at XNA. It is a very lucrative relationship and it is done with out an exclusive travel contract.
a.

akizidy214

Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:30 pm

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 3):
How is American Eagle doing with planes nowadays?

Not so hot. MQ is up over 300 flt cancels for the month for various reasons

Quoting Flyby519 (Reply 26):
BGR used to be a major maintenance base, but was recently closed.

Not closing until September

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 30):

Of the top of my head. LAX SBP ABI DFW ORD MQT SGF CLE CMI LGA JFK MIA SJU XNA BOS BGR CMH RDU
TUL "heavy checks for the CRJ & YUL "heavy checks on the ATR. I guess you can ad RIC to that list but they don't get much done.

XNA has recently been the talk of expansion lately for MTX. There has been talk of building a new hangar there. Which is badly needed. Hangar space on the east cost for MQ is quite short. A lot of times mtx has to borrow hangar space. As far as new routes go you can look for MIA, XNA, & RDU to be the focus. As I said in another thread MIA is having issues stoking all the EMB spare parts. So once that problem is resolved look for some new routes out of there.
DCA

blueheronNC

Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:17 pm

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 35):
RDU does not have the ambition to be a hub again, but recent decisions by AA seem to indicate that AA and Eagel are interested in doing more than O&D out of RDU.

...and according to the AA press release, "This service will compliment existing connection options on other American Airlines flights from Raleigh/Durham to New York, Newark, N.J., Hartford, Conn. and Columbus, Ohio." So it seems that they are timing the routing in order to achieve feasible connection opportunities through RDU --- not just O&D purposes.

MAH4546

Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:24 pm

Quoting BlueheronNC (Reply 38):
"This service will compliment existing connection options on other American Airlines flights from Raleigh/Durham to New York, Newark, N.J., Hartford, Conn. and Columbus, Ohio." So it seems that they are timing the routing in order to achieve feasible connection opportunities through RDU --- not just O&D purposes.

That is the purpose of this flight. AA is expecting upwards of 80% of the passengers on this flight to be connecting to those four cities, as well as Boston.
a.

flyby519

Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:38 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 39):
That is the purpose of this flight. AA is expecting upwards of 80% of the passengers on this flight to be connecting to those four cities, as well as Boston.

Is there any talk of upgrading the RDU-BOS service to an MD80 due to the loads? I know they already did this with a RDU-LGA spot.

MAH4546

Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:41 pm

Quoting Flyby519 (Reply 40):
Is there any talk of upgrading the RDU-BOS service to an MD80 due to the loads? I know they already did this with a RDU-LGA spot.

No. The RDU-LGA mainlie flight isn't a strong performer in itself. The main reason it was upgraded to mainline was to free up slots for other markets and to provide same-plane service between Austin and LaGuardia, not loads on RDU-LGA.
a.

ERJ170

Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:50 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 41):
No.

Have to agree. Don't see it happening. The only reason I could see an upgrade is to free up 2 or 3 ERJ for other routes (I think 5x to BOS instead of 8x would be good enough)..

I bet AA wishes they had kept those F100 now.. or at least, I think it would be a good bridging aircraft, even if it was a maintenance hog.. they could be dedicated to a market like the other aircraft are.. but I digress...

MAH4546

Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:27 am

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 42):
Have to agree. Don't see it happening. The only reason I could see an upgrade is to free up 2 or 3 ERJ for other routes (I think 5x to BOS instead of 8x would be good enough)..

Agreed, that is a situation where it might happen. Though simply reducing RDU-BOS by 2-3x daily flights without replacement is also a possibility. Not due to lack of demand, but simply lack of aircraft.
a.

ERJ170

Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:33 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 43):
Though simply reducing RDU-BOS by 2-3x daily flights without replacement is also a possibility.

True.. except then AA would open themselves up to losing those fliers to DL or B6. I think there are a couple of markets that AA would maintain near equal capacity.. namely NYC, BOS, DCA, and one of the hubs (not sure which one, probably DFW)

blueheronNC

Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:47 am

Quoting Flyby519 (Reply 40):

I wonder how much untapped revenue potential exists out there for AA to pursue more of these secondary markets (in the Midwest or Southeast) connecting through RDU to other secondary markets (in New England), that would otherwise have to connect anyway through more delay-hidden airports. With all the air traffic woes of New England hubs, and the fact that the markets themselves are too small to justify nonstop service, is RDU a viable reliever "secondary market" hub, what with its uncluttered airspace and generally good weather? e.g. I'd rather fly BDL-RDU-LIT than BDL-LGA (8 hour tarmac stop) - LIT, or BDL-ATL (1 hour taxi to the runway)-LIT.

I assume this would be different from the RDU hub of old, which was made redundant by MIA because the connection through RDU from the NE to FL could be substituted by nonstop flights. That wouldn't be the case here.

[Edited 2007-07-24 17:51:00]

MAH4546

Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:56 am

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 44):

True.. except then AA would open themselves up to losing those fliers to DL or B6. I think there are a couple of markets that AA would maintain near equal capacity.. namely NYC, BOS, DCA, and one of the hubs (not sure which one, probably DFW)

Not nessecarily. The BOS-RDU flights, like many business routes for Eagle, rarely go more than 70% full. There is plenty of space to take them on the remaining flights.
a.

PVD757

Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:05 am

If they would just supplement the RDU-northeast service and add PVD, they could caprure a greater % of the regional market share...