Osprey88
Topic Author

DL International Service From SLC?

Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:17 pm

This is something I have been wondering for quite a while, but why is their a distinct lack of DL (or anyone else for that matter) international service (excluding Mexico) from SLC?

DL has a hub at SLC and yet it is the only one of their hubs which has no direct flights to Europe or Asia. Their are also no flights direct to Europe or Asia operated by any other carrier at SLC.

I do not know if DL previously served Europe or Asia, but why hasn't DL tried to launch new routes to Europe or Asia from SLC?

Here is Delta's published route map:

http://delta.innosked.com/

Make sure you go to Select Map Settings > General Settings > and make sure "Only Show Nonstop Flights" is checked. If you don't do this, you'll see that DL somehow has a direct flight from PDX to ZRH!  Smile
"Reading departure signs in some big airports reminds me of the places I've been"

DLOnur

RE: DL International Service From SLC?

Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:30 pm

"Direct" is different than "non-stop"

Also, DL's route map also includes code share. PDX-ZRH could be AF....
What you believe is what you see.

2travel2know

Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:13 pm

I guess there'll be some DL 1-2 per week service to niche leisure (non-Mexican) destinations in the near future: MBJ, POP, PUJ, BZE, LIR, SJO.
I don't work for COPA Airlines!

SpencerII

Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:17 pm

This question comes up frequently and Delta has stated that at some point in the future there will be Euro service from SLC, but not now. Currently most DL passengers are routed through ATL for Euro destinations. Back in the days of Western in the 80's I think they operated a Denver to London flight for a short time. European flights from SLC would primarily collect travelrs to hub in SLC from the West-- California (who allready has service from LAX & SFO to most Euro desitnations) & Washington & Oregon who has some Euro Serivce. That would leave feeding traffic to Euro destinations from Idaho Montana, Wyoming, Nevada and Arizona (which has some Euro Service as well). So all other Delta points East of SLC can primarily connect to Europe through DL's ATL hub wihtout much back tracking. Then of course you have UA CO NW etc going Eastbound out of most western cities, so ORD, IAH EWR & MSP & DTW would compte with it as well.

SLCUT2777

Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:49 pm

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 2):
I guess there'll be some DL 1-2 per week service to niche leisure (non-Mexican) destinations in the near future: MBJ, POP, PUJ, BZE, LIR, SJO.

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl  That will be the day! MZT & PVR (Seasonally) do great from SLC as do SJD and CUN (the only direct service to the Caribbean--not counting FLL). Quite interestingly the first four destinations you listed are all closer in air miles and time than HNL, OGG and KOA, all Hawaii destinations that have or have had direct service from SLC.

Quoting SpencerII (Reply 3):
This question comes up frequently and Delta has stated that at some point in the future there will be Euro service from SLC, but not now. Currently most DL passengers are routed through ATL for Euro destinations. Back in the days of Western in the 80's I think they operated a Denver to London flight for a short time. European flights from SLC would primarily collect travelrs to hub in SLC from the West-- California (who allready has service from LAX & SFO to most Euro desitnations) & Washington & Oregon who has some Euro Serivce. That would leave feeding traffic to Euro destinations from Idaho Montana, Wyoming, Nevada and Arizona (which has some Euro Service as well). So all other Delta points East of SLC can primarily connect to Europe through DL's ATL hub wihtout much back tracking. Then of course you have UA CO NW etc going Eastbound out of most western cities, so ORD, IAH EWR & MSP & DTW would compte with it as well.

checkmark  SLC is perhaps the highest passenger U.S. airport to not have direct service to Europe, but questions remain about how much the O&D level could contribute if DL offered direct service to CDG or LGW since between those two it is somewhere at or around 60,000 from what I've read. Many DL SLC passengers go via JFK as well as ATL to Europe. While the two Europe flights are possible in the next couple of years, the primary role for the SLC hub will be connecting western North America with the rest of North America. Additional service to places in Canada, Mexico and possibly the Caribbean (perhaps including at least seasonal service to some of the places 2travel2know pointed out above!) from SLC will likely be at least attempted or tried in the next few years.
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

GlobalATL

Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:35 am

DLs more spacious and state-of-the-art lobby in SLC offers kiosks in english, spanish and french. French, eh?? In my eyes, this is just a precursor to gearing up a future flight to France. If not, DL could have just chosen another language other than French, just an example.

SLC lobby News Release:
http://news.delta.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=10777
TriStar BusinessElite FedEx AirTran Delta Air Lines oneworld SkyTeam JetBlue/jetBlue MAXjet SkyMiles Eos = good spelling

SLCUT2777

Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:57 am

Quoting GlobalATL (Reply 5):
DLs more spacious and state-of-the-art lobby in SLC offers kiosks in english, spanish and french. French, eh?? In my eyes, this is just a precursor to gearing up a future flight to France. If not, DL could have just chosen another language other than French, just an example.

Keep in mind that AF already codeshares several flights into SLC on DL, so there is already a use for the French language at SLC. Even someone from Quebec will be able to navigate the DL system at SLC  biggrin 
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

rwsea

Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:31 am

This has been discussed many, many times (try the search engine for DL and SLC). The consensus seems to be a mix of factors that are preventing SLC from having their own n/s service to Europe/Asia at the moment, most importantly the lack of O&D, lack of open-skies (changing), short runway at SLC, and DL's focus on building up at JFK/ATL.

ConcordeBoy

Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:27 am

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 4):
CUN (the only direct service to the Caribbean--not counting FLL

Neither of the above are Caribbean destinations

Quoting GlobalATL (Reply 5):
French, eh?? In my eyes, this is just a precursor to gearing up a future flight to France. If not, DL could have just chosen another language other than French, just an example.

Um cher, they have French posted all over the terminal at BTR, which doesn't even see mainline service, let alone intercontinental nonstops. It's just for the codeshares, et al.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

S12PPL

Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:39 am

Quoting DLOnur (Reply 1):
Also, DL's route map also includes code share. PDX-ZRH could be AF....

Huh??? Did I miss something? When did PDX get a non-stop to Zurich???? And when did AF luanch service to PDX??
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

Brick

Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:45 am

It's the same with the United Airlines hub at Denver Int'l Airport. The only United operated nonstops to other countries is to Mexico and Canada.
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man...

SLCUT2777

Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:03 am

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 8):
Neither of the above are Caribbean destinations

Uhmm... Technically they are in the "greater" Caribbean region, including MIA. Since CUN is on the far western end on the edge of Mexico's Yucatan, and both FLL and MIA are important cruise ship hub/gateways for the region, at least in the mind set of many they belong in the Caribbean, just as much as you would include the Bahamas.

Quoting RwSEA (Reply 7):
This has been discussed many, many times (try the search engine for DL and SLC). The consensus seems to be a mix of factors that are preventing SLC from having their own n/s service to Europe/Asia at the moment, most importantly the lack of O&D, lack of open-skies (changing), short runway at SLC, and DL's focus on building up at JFK/ATL.

You could rank these in perhaps this order (debatable):
1. The O&D for SLC with a catchment area of @2.5 million (smaller than PHX or DEN & not the resort destination of LAS).
2. Lack of Open Skies with Europe (E.U.), which thankfully is changing.
3. Lack of suitable runways at SLC being only 12,000' (I'll argue that this one is VERY quickly moving to the top)
4. DL's focus on building ATL & JFK to there (being supplanted by the LAX build-up to Asia, Pacific & The Far East).

rwsea

Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:28 am

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 11):
4. DL's focus on building ATL & JFK to there (being supplanted by the LAX build-up to Asia, Pacific & The Far East).

This is off-topic, but I'm a bit skeptical of this, especially in the next couple of years. DL has a whopping 6 777's on the way, but wants to start 2x daily flights to China, as well as beef up in India (and maybe South Africa). That maybe leaves one or two daily flights from LAX. Not much to get a momentum going with, especially if rumors of JFK-NRT returning are true. And yes, I'm aware that Japan could be served with the 763, but I doubt they'd want to limit a potential LAX-NRT route to a 763.

blackknight

Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:26 am

3. Lack of suitable runways at SLC being only 12,000' (I'll argue that this one is VERY quickly moving to the top)

As I have often noted in other treads the runway issue will be a non issue when the expansion is given the ok. 15,500 is the target length as of today.

Also Delta will and is planning to pull passengers from the west coast as well as the mid west. Buying a ticket from the west coast to Europe with one stop in SLC is as easy as a stop on the east coast.
BK

jetlanta

Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:34 am

Quoting RwSEA (Reply 12):
This is off-topic, but I'm a bit skeptical of this, especially in the next couple of years.

You are correct to be skeptical. I think that everyone, including some folks at Delta, got a little ahead of themselves in terms of discussing TransPac at LAX. It looks like nothing will happen in these terms until Delta gets some long-haul aircraft that aren't needed in ATL or JFK, and thats not happening for several years. There is simply too much low-hanging fruit at ATL and JFK and not enough airplanes to pick it all. LAX will end up on the back burner for a while.

SLCUT2777

Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:56 am

Quoting BlackKnight (Reply 13):
As I have often noted in other treads the runway issue will be a non issue when the expansion is given the ok. 15,500 is the target length as of today.

They need this sooner than later with runway 34R-16L. Today was another hot one at SLC with temperatures well in excess of 101 degrees F (38.5 C).

af773atmsp

Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:08 am

MSP has the same thing. A major airline with a hub, but doesn't do any international expansion at its hub.  Sad

I thought DL had SLC-LGW service. I've seen photos of DL 763s at SLC, where do these 763s go? And wasn't DL going to start SLC-CDG?
It ain't no normal MD80 its a Super 80!

klkla

Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:30 am

The immigration facities at SLC are very small and would have to be beefed up before they could start widebody international service from there.

jbmitt

Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:49 am

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 9):
Huh??? Did I miss something? When did PDX get a non-stop to Zurich???? And when did AF luanch service to PDX??

Delta flight #66 originates in PDX continues to ATL and then leaves from ATL to ZRH. It requires a change of aircraft and about 2.5 hour connection in ATL. The original post mentioned that it was a direct flight (same number), rather than a non-stop (flying from Portland to Zurich without landing elsewhere)

ConcordeBoy

Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:59 am

at least in the mind set of many

...hun, "in the mind set of many": there's a big-ass undetectable monster swimming around in a Scottish lake, aliens kidnapped Elivs, and there's still weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.

they belong in the Caribbean, just as much as you would include the Bahamas.

***sic 'em Mark***
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

slcdeltarumd11

Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:54 pm

Quoting Af773atmsp (Reply 16):
thought DL had SLC-LGW service. I've seen photos of DL 763s at SLC, where do these 763s go? And wasn't DL going to start SLC-CDG?

Western back in the day wanted to start slc-london but delta has never gotten as far as planning the route that we know of.
delta offers 767 service on 400s and 300s to ATL multiple frequencies a day, sometimes to JFK historically but not at the present second, all hawaii destinations get 767 service so there are 767s in slc

None are going to europe and none will until the runway is long enough and dl tries more europe route combinations. I think dl knows this flight will make decent money, but no one else is gonna start it so they want to better utilize aircraft. They want to see if another route could make more money. Who knows those eastern european cities could be real gold mines or they could loose millions only time will tell. Some of these routes will fail horribly such as ATL-EDI and aircraft will be freed up, but its gonna take some as right now dl is very thin on long range aircraft. I say, and the CEO of delta has said that SLC- LGW and CDG service is "about" two years away??? hope that answers your question?

boeing743

Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:07 am

There is many international airlines services near SLC, DEN, PDX, SEA, LAX, SFO. Bascially if people in SLC want to go to europe or asia, they all need to hop to one of t hose city on west or East coast to connect flight toward europe or asia. I know for sure that SLC has some service to canada and mexico aboard DL.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos