B52overSMF
Topic Author

Small Plane Crash Near SMF And My First Solo

Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:38 pm

It was a busy day at my flight school today as I had my first solo today... And then later one of our planes went down after a bird strike.

One of our instructors was up with a student in a Cessna 150 when a hawk decided it wanted to enter the cabin of the plane through the forward windshield.  Wow! The student and instructor tried to put the plane down in a field somewhere in Woodland, CA (Yolo County), which is west of SMF. The aircraft ended up flipping on the ground but our instructor and student were able to walk away from the crash. The tail number was N531M. Too bad all around. Not a fun experience for the instructor and student to go through I'm sure (But great job to them on not being seriously injured and able to walk away!), it was the favorite of everyone out of the 2 150's we have (I've been up in it a few times and I prefer it as well.), and definitely sucks for the bird. Here's a short blurb about it on a local news station website:
http://www.news10.net/display_story....lnFeLmoPzEKZf+iLkR+fjlWPuyDKbhQ%3D
The article says the bird went into the engine but when I called the school earlier today to see if everyone was okay they told me it went through the windshield.

But, to end this post on a happier note, I had my first solo shortly before this in another aircraft and it was an absolute blast!  champagne   cheerful 

HowSwedeitis

RE: Small Plane Crash Near SMF And My First Solo

Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:44 pm

CONGRATULATIONS!!!  bigthumbsup   champagne  And it's good to hear the instructor and student were not harmed.
Heja Sverige!!

AirTranTUS

Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:46 pm

Quoting B52overSMF (Thread starter):
It was a busy day at my flight school today as I had my first solo today

Congratulations!! Normally I would put the champagne bottle here in celebration, but it doesn't seem appropriate.  Wink

About the crash: Could they not make it back with the busted windshield? As long as the engine was still running, why would they have to land in a field?
I love ASO!

graphic

Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:40 pm

Quoting B52overSMF (Thread starter):
Small Plane Crash Near SMF And My First Solo

Ok, what did you do wrong?  Wink

congrats on the solo dude, welcome to the club!  champagne 
Demand Media fails at life

scrubbsywg

Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:17 pm

GREAT title for the thread. Congrats though! and good to hear they are alright. It must be scary when you know you're going down. I'm wondering, did the hawk survive the voyage through the glass? never mind trying to land a plane that's going down, but with a hawk flying around inside too, that would be nuts.

ua2162

Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:23 pm

Quoting ScrubbsYWG (Reply 4):
GREAT title for the thread.

I must say this title drew me in thus I agree with ScrubbsYWG  Smile

Anyway, I'm glad that nobody was hurt and that your first solo was a success. Great "story", thanks for sharing!

sevenair

Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:47 pm

Quoting AirTranTUS (Reply 2):

About the crash: Could they not make it back with the busted windshield? As long as the engine was still running, why would they have to land in a field?

I think if a window cracks, then the air from the propeller may overstress it, sendingbig chunks of persplex in to the cabin.

SEPilot

Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:13 pm

I had to do a double take when I saw the N-number of the plane that crashed; when I ran the local airport at one time we had a Cessna 150 as a rental plane-it was N627M. I had to check my logbook to make sure it wasn't the same one. As to continuing to fly with a windshield that a hawk had just flown through, I think I would look for a place to set the plane down as soon as possible also.
The problem with making things foolproof is that fools are so doggone ingenious...Dan Keebler

n53614

Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:20 pm

Congrats on your first solo; it's one helluva rush!

Also, glad to hear the CFI and student involved in the off-airport landing are ok.
B722 B732 B733 B734 B735 B73G B738 B739 B742 B752 B763 B772 A319 A320 A332 CRJ2 DHC8 DH8D E135 E140 E145 MD83

B52overSMF
Topic Author

Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:34 pm

Quoting ScrubbsYWG (Reply 4):
GREAT title for the thread. Congrats though! and good to hear they are alright. It must be scary when you know you're going down. I'm wondering, did the hawk survive the voyage through the glass? never mind trying to land a plane that's going down, but with a hawk flying around inside too, that would be nuts.

He he. After posting, I figured the title would get someone's attention. I guess it depends on how you interpret it to see if they're related directly or not. I wanted to tell the story, but also beam about my first solo.  Wink

As far as I know, the hawk was a goner, but I haven't heard for sure yet. Personally, if I was in the plane I'd hope so for the bird and myself. I would rather just take the bird out all the way and not have it in agony from being almost dead, and second depending on how far it came through the windshield, I wouldn't want a hawk in the cabin with me especially hurt bad. Flailing really sharp talons and a beak don't go to well with my face and body. Ouch.

Thanks for the congrats everyone!

SkyexRamper

Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:17 am

Quoting Sevenair (Reply 6):
I think if a window cracks, then the air from the propeller may overstress it, sendingbig chunks of persplex in to the cabin.

I would rather slow the airplane down to around 70kts and risk taking plexiglass to the face (I've got glasses so that would help) instead of flipping the airplane and risking death. Just my view on things.
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

jenkingeorge

Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:51 am

Nice one!!  Wink

I had my first solo on my 16th on thursday and isnt it a brilliant feeling Big grin

And good to hear no one was hurt in the C150, planes are replaceable, people arnt! And as for the hawk, well, he would have had a surprise when he tried to hitch a lift in the 150!

-JG
I reject your reality and substitute my own!

B52overSMF
Topic Author

Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:55 pm

Quoting SkyexRamper (Reply 10):
Quoting Sevenair (Reply 6):

I would rather slow the airplane down to around 70kts and risk taking plexiglass to the face (I've got glasses so that would help) instead of flipping the airplane and risking death. Just my view on things.

After hearing more about after going into flight school yesterday, I'm told the window going out completely changes the drag profile of the aircraft (Obiously.), in a very bad way. I guess they were in a pattern already (I don't know exactly what leg yet.) they didn't have too many options at the time. Why they didn't shoot for the runway I don't know. The awesome part is that the instructor kept the hawk and is going to have it stuffed and mounted. Ha ha ha!

Quoting Jenkingeorge (Reply 11):
I had my first solo on my 16th on thursday and isnt it a brilliant feeling

Absolutely!

SkyexRamper

Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:06 am

Quoting B52overSMF (Reply 12):
Why they didn't shoot for the runway I don't know.

Or any surface inside the fences.
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!