SiouxATC
Topic Author

NW Mileage Upgrade Question

Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:34 am

I used some miles to upgrade my upcoming flights later on this year, and I was looking at my account info on nwa.com today and realized that no miles have been taken out of my account. Now, I upgraded these flights about a week and a half ago. Do they not take out the miles until after you have flown? If that is so, you would be able to keep upgrading future flights even tho in theory you wouldnt actually have those miles in your accout, because you used them to upgrade yourself they have just yet to take them away, if you understand what I mean. Or are they supposed to withdrawl the miles right away when you are on the phone with their CSRs? Is it wrong to not call them and say anything if indeed it is a mistake and they did not take out the 15,000 miles each for the upgrades?

Thanks

SiouxATC

Jano

Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:46 am

Give them a call. The upgrade is somewhere stopped in the process. Ten days is way too long to wait for an upgrade to clear.
The Widget Air Line :)

SiouxATC
Topic Author

Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:49 am

It says on their website that the upgrades are confirmed.........

sandrozrh

Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:57 am

Quoting SiouxATC (Reply 2):
It says on their website that the upgrades are confirmed

There shouldnt be a problem then. Print the confirmation as backup for your flight in case there's any complications at the gate or at checkin. You might be lucky and they had some sort of system glitch, meaning your upgrade was confirmed but no miles taken from your account. It happened to my dad once  bigthumbsup 

Jano

Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:00 am

Was the ticket reissued already? Most likely no since the miles were not deducted.

I'm in a somewhat similar situation myself. I had an award ticket on NW/KL/OK. I decided to change the routing a bit and upgrade to business class too for the outbound leg. It's been 4 days since the ticket was changed, but it has not been reissued yet since the miles were not substracted yet. And I'm about to call tonight to find out what's happening.

dtwclipper

Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:39 am

Are the miles under "Current Locked Miles" or still in the balance?
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

SiouxATC
Topic Author

Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:00 am

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 5):
Are the miles under "Current Locked Miles" or still in the balance?

they are still in the current availiable, and I have clicked the refresh milage button many times and they are still there.

SiouxATC
Topic Author

Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:19 am

I talked to a lady on the phone, and just asked how many miles do I currently have and she said the same amount as I had before I upgraded my flights. So I dont know what to think. She also said that the miles should be taken out right away when you upgrade your flights.

georgebush

RE: NW Mileage Upgrade Question

Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:21 am

Read this thread
RE: Diverted, Delayed, Downgraded (by ExFATboy Jul 20 2007 in Civil Aviation)

Sounds like you just got lucky mate! I would go with the approach that you didnt even notice the balance of miles in your account if anyone does say anything, but after reading that above thread I would be happy just to actually get a seat in F on NW with a confirmed ticket. Seems like they are good at downgrading their FF's!
Al Gore invented global warming.

SiouxATC
Topic Author

Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:39 am

I sure appears to me that they are cleared. We will have to wait and see when I get to the airport. But hopefully!

Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:45 am

Miles are only normally deducted for international legs. For domestic USA markets, upgrades are given to Elite status frequent flyers on the basis of time prior to flight or fare basis.

SiouxATC
Topic Author

Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:08 pm

Quoting 113312 (Reply 10):
Miles are only normally deducted for international legs. For domestic USA markets, upgrades are given to Elite status frequent flyers on the basis of time prior to flight or fare basis.

But I am not yet elite for NW. I still dont get it.....

georgebush

Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:57 pm

Do you have your seat assignments in F? Thats a for sure way to know they have cleared. On UA they dont clear till 24hrs prior to departure (for non-eilites), and thats when the miles come out when your actually checked-in to first class.

SiouxATC
Topic Author

Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:36 pm

Quoting Georgebush (Reply 12):
Do you have your seat assignments in F? Thats a for sure way to know they have cleared. On UA they dont clear till 24hrs prior to departure (for non-eilites), and thats when the miles come out when your actually checked-in to first class.

Well on NW you cannot get your seat assignments until 90 days prior to your departure. Up until that point it says "seats not assigned". Im not sure if NW is the same as UA but the CSRs that I have been speeking with all said that the miles are supposed to come out of your account right away..........

NWBOS

Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:38 pm

Most likely your reservation has not been re-ticketed for the upgrade, and it is currently on queue to be manually processed by the rate desk. Look at your reservation. Are there two e-ticket numbers associated to it (the second one reflecting a mileage upgrade)? If not, the upgrade has not been processed. An e-ticket mismatch will prevent you from checking in, and an agent will most likely have to call Worldperks at check-in to get it straightened out.

georgebush

Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:51 pm

Yes but if he called in then that agent would have re-ticketed it then so that she could see if his upgrade was cleared or not. And I dont know of any other airline that has to reticket someone just for an upgrade.... Are you completely sure about that? At UA it just changes your booking code from B F H W Y or whatever to XF or XC meaning you are on a reward seat in first or business. There is no eticket reissueing that goes on.

HowSwedeitis

Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:56 pm

Quoting SandroZRH (Reply 3):
It happened to my dad once

With my Father (On NWA as a matter of fact!) They didn't take miles away, they didn't give him any... "Something he did wrong..." they said...  Confused We still fly on 'em, but we ensure we get the miles now!  Wink
Heja Sverige!!

SiouxATC
Topic Author

Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:27 am

Update: I called and asked if my upgrades where confirmed and they said yes. I also have my seat assginments, 2A for one leg and 3A for the next (MKE-MEM, and MEM-PHX). I re-confirmed the reservation online and everything stayed the same, and I have not been reissued and tickets. Will someone please explain NWs upgrade procedures. When will the miles be deducted? If at all. Will I have any problems at check in if I dont say anything now?

Jano

Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:59 am

Quoting SiouxATC (Reply 17):
When will the miles be deducted

When the ticketing department gets to it. I was told yesterday that there was a big queue.

Quoting SiouxATC (Reply 17):
Will I have any problems at check in if I dont say anything now?

No. But to make sure make a print out of your new itinerary and have it with you.

SiouxATC
Topic Author

Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:20 am

So say the ticketing department gets to it, and say I upgraded more of my existing reservations before they took the miles out of my account for my previous upgrade and I no longer had enough miles for the upgrade that I made for my future flights, what would happen? Would they cancel the upgrades that I technically didnt have enough miles for? Would I still have a seat in econ that I paid for? Hmm interesting.  Wink

NWAatNGO

Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:10 am

I experienced something similar recently. I made WBC reservations for me and the wife to travel NGO-DTW roundtrip at the end of the year. I was able to get PerkSaver for the two of us on the outbound, but only my seat was available at the PerkSaver rate on the return, while my wife's return was waitlisted for WBC. I waited until I had enough miles to go ahead and drop the extra 60,000 miles to make sure she was seated in WBC on the return as well. Right away NW deposited 60,000 miles into the locked miles section and upgraded my wife's reservation. The reservation sat like that for over a month and just last Friday I checked my account and found out that they had returned the locked miles to my account, so I am thinking I am now 60,000 miles richer, time to start looking at WBC flights to SPN in October. Started searching and was really happy that NW had decided to issue her ticket at the PerkSaver rate and they were just taking care of a loyal customer (must have been delusional due to the fast approaching weekend).

I didn't end up making any reservations for SPN, was finalizing schedules. Got an email from NW on Sunday saying that they had reissued my wife's ticket, so I check my account ASAP and find that the 'gift' of 60,000 miles I had received the other day was long gone, and this time not just stuck in locked miles. I really don't understand the delay, but am disappointed in myself that I didn't jump at the chance to get a free trip to SPN. As a Platinum I could have made the reservations and then canceled or changed later without any change fees, but I was not smart enough to think of that at the time. It would have been interesting to see what NW would have done in that situation.

NWAatNGO

flyabr

Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:07 pm

Quoting SiouxATC (Reply 19):
So say the ticketing department gets to it, and say I upgraded more of my existing reservations before they took the miles out of my account for my previous upgrade and I no longer had enough miles for the upgrade that I made for my future flights, what would happen? Would they cancel the upgrades that I technically didnt have enough miles for? Would I still have a seat in econ that I paid for? Hmm interesting.

does make one wonder if there is a built in "gotcha" since they deduct or lock miles for a frequent flyer ticket almost instantaneoulsy!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos