CO7e7
Topic Author

AZ: Safe Bet Or A Gamble?

Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:29 pm

Hey everyone,

I was on Kayak.com looking for tickets to TLV from CLE ( Dec. 15th to Dec 29th)... I was surprised to see AZ offering $476 Business class tickets...

Is there a catch? What if AZ runs out of business by December.. will i get my money back?

Is it a safe bet?

Thanks in advance

Zaki

UAL777UK

RE: AZ: Safe Bet Or A Gamble?

Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:32 pm

I would not touch them with a barge pole. Whilst they might still be operating on "life support" from the government then, they strike so often they simply cannot be relied upon.

MAH4546

Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:44 pm

I think it is a safe bet, but I'm in the minority in firmly believing Alitalia isn't going anywhere. Alitalia workers do seem to like strikes, but Alitalia will still owe you your travel.
a.

lijnden

Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:49 pm

As long as credit card companies and travel agencies are not doing difficult, it is pretty safe. Make sure you have an insurance...

Lijnden
Be kind to animals! Next trip: ORF-ORD-NRT-IAD-ORF

ZRH

Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:31 pm

I'd rather play black-jack with this money than to spend on AZ. Either they are down till then or they will be on strike.

Emirates Skies

Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:24 am

Am I the only one who finds these AZ threads very very amusing to read?

I do not think AZ will be around by Christmas time. Having said that, the fare seems very cheap, esp. for J-class and I'd go along and risk my money on that as long as I'm covered with a very good travel insurance. I fully trust AXA for that.

Emirates Skies.
Take nothing but photos, leave nothing but footprints

CO7e7
Topic Author

Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:42 am

Well, i tried booking my flight online..........and guess what? I didn't let me.

According to their customer service rep, the website is being "updated" and that i should try again in 24 hours!

So, i'll check back in 24 hours and see if the same J price is offered.

OOer

Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:50 am

Quoting CO7e7 (Thread starter):
I was surprised to see AZ offering $476 Business class tickets...

Yeah...probably a computer error....there is probably a 0 missing at the end of that fare. You cant even buy a business class ticket from JFK-ATL for that amount!

TK787

Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:55 am

Quoting CO7e7 (Reply 6):
According to their customer service rep, the website is being "updated" and that i should try again in 24 hours!
While on the phone, did they offer you the same fare over the phone?
By the way, I have a ticket from AZ for Sept. and I have purchased it using United Mileage Visa card. Now Visa people tell me that if AZ go bankrupt, there is nothing they will do for me. So I am going to try to get some extra travel insurance just in case.
More bad news; after talking to a travel insurance company, I was told that AZ is on a very short list of carriers they will not do insurance policies for.
Good luck.

[Edited 2007-07-24 20:20:11]

[Edited 2007-07-24 20:29:24]

CO7e7
Topic Author

Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:20 am

Quoting TK787 (Reply 8):
While on the phone, did they offer you the same fare over the phone?

I asked him that question and he told me their computers are down and that i should check back tomorrow!!!

Quoting OOer (Reply 7):
probably a computer error....

I'm pretty sure that's what it is.....

georgiaame

Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:05 am

Had to have been a typo, but sometimes, typos are honored. As long as you pay with a credit card, you are 100% safe as far as you financial investment goes. You get all of your money back if AZ goes pancho supra. But if you have your heart set on travel, I suspect travel insurance would have only covered the cost of the ticket, which is grossly underpriced.
(I looked; I haven't been to TLV in ages, and at a price like that, greedy me would have booked). Christmas in Tel Aviv is not to be missed!
"Trust, but verify!" An old Russian proverb, quoted often by a modern American hero

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos