juventus

Virgin America Sparks Fare War On NY-California

Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:00 pm

source-Bizjournals.com

The fare wars have begun.

JetBlue Airways Corp. said it will match fares on routes where it competes with Virgin America Inc., the startup airline owned in part by U.K. billionaire Richard Branson.

JetBlue (NASDAQ: JBLU) is offering round trip tickets for $278 between New York City and Los Angeles and New York City and San Francisco.

Dallas-based Southwest Airlines Co. (NYSE: LUV) said it matched fares on one route and that its fares were lower than Burlingame-based Virgin America's on others, according to a Bloomberg story.

http://airlinepilotcentral.com/frame/news.html

BigGSFO

RE: Virgin America Sparks Fare War On NY-California

Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:08 pm

VX is also offering $389/OW F class to both JFK and IAD. I might just try them out - massage chair and all.

LAXintl

Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:12 am

I would not say the economy fares are a big deal especially headed into the fall. I've regularly seen CA-NY economy fares down to ~$220 during skirmishes between Jetblue, AA and Song.

A bigger deal in my opinion however as BigGSFO mentions is the cheapness of first class. AA interestingly over the weekend matched with its own $800 R/T business class fare, which over a 50% drop from normal. United has not matched, however as a regular transcon flyer I'd say $800 for Virgin's first class or AA's business class is quite a bargain.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

juventus

Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:52 am

Quoting Laxintl (Reply 2):
United has not matched, however as a regular transcon flyer I'd say $800 for Virgin's first class or AA's business class is quite a bargain.

The legacies have not matched, (UA, AA, CO and DL). I wonder if they are waiting for one to jump in first, then the others will follow. Or perhaps they will leave this "fare war" to the LCCs.

Personally, I believe that as soon as one a legacy matches, the others will follow.....

LAXintl

Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:11 am

Quoting Juventus (Reply 3):
The legacies have not matched,

Yes they have.

AA(biz) and NW(first) both have $800 premium fares.

For economy, AA & DL are both selling <$300 fares matching those of Jetblue.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

FriendlySkies

Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:54 am

Quoting Laxintl (Reply 2):
United has not matched

I don't think they will...perhaps in economy, but with the p.s. service UA is going after a crowd that, IMO anyway, probably wouldn't fly VA no matter how cheap it was. As long as UA can fill their premium seats there's no point in matching fares. And I don't think VA is going after p.s. in any way, especially not with their F class offering.

aajfksjubklyn

Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:55 am

Just got back from JFK after dropping off the man for his 2 hour delayed flight to SJU, saw a Virgin America plane hiding in a corner just as you enter airport from Nassau Expressway and get on JFK expressway...looked like it was tucked away hiding from Jet Blue..  Smile

Bicoastal

Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:41 am

Quoting FriendlySkies (Reply 5):
I don't think they will...perhaps in economy, but with the p.s. service UA is going after a crowd that, IMO anyway, probably wouldn't fly VA no matter how cheap it was. As long as UA can fill their premium seats there's no point in matching fares. And I don't think VA is going after p.s. in any way, especially not with their F class offering.

I agree. I hope UA sits back and lets WN, Virgin and JetBlue fight it out. UA has a nice hub going at SFO with tons of international flights and a better domestic network. UA should focus on its loyal Mileage Plus and premium following. No need to race to the bottom at SFO as it is at DEN where no airline is making money.
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos