kaitak

33/07 - A Special Dubliners' Aviation Thread!

Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:46 am

Well it had to happen! And to celebrate properly, we're going to find an airline willing to order thirty three widebody Airbus twins - and get the Taoiseach to announce the order!

Turty tree A-tree turties!

I know it's lame, but hey it's midweek; you get the better jokes at the weekend!

Welcome to a new Irish aviation thread and don't worry, it's not just for de Dubliners; de Corkonians and de Shannonsiders are all welcome!

It's been an interesting few days and with Aer Lingus about to announce its new Belfast route and Ryanair jumping the gun, it looks like Belfast - City/Aldergrove - will be a new battle ground between EI and FR. Big Green is apparently about to add BFS-LHR, with four daily services; interesting to see how BD reacts to this.

I would just love to be a fly on the wall when all this was being discussed; I know the airline is supposed to be privatised and the airline, independent of govt control, but I wonder how BFS was chosen over BHX, if indeed this is the outcome!

What does the future hold? Well, if we knew that ... Will there be long haul; will there be a new order?

There's no break from the action on the Irish aviation front, Summer or not. Even outside Dublin!

Eirules

RE: 33/07 - A Special Dubliners' Aviation Thread!

Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:56 am

Excellent introduction as usual Kaitak.

Quoting Kaitak (Thread starter):
I know the airline is supposed to be privatised and the airline, independent of govt control, but I wonder how BFS was chosen over BHX, if indeed this is the outcome!

I hope you're not suggesting government interference in the Irish aviation industry here Kaitak, that wold be unheard of!!! Seriously though, Im rally disappointed about BFS. Yes Im sure it will work for EI, in a way. But compared to the sort of success they could have had by just being a little braver and picking somewhere with a bigger population and more possibilities (yes of both success and failure) then BFS surely will just be more of the same EI spinelessness
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

tonymctigue

Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:11 am

Thank you Kaitak for another great intro. Do you stay up all night thinking of what you are going to say or do you just come up with these ideas off the top of your head? I could name a few politicans in Co. Clare who would definitely be interested in hiring you to as a speach writer.

Welcome to a new Irish aviation thread and don't worry, it's not just for de Dubliners; de Corkonians and de Shannonsiders are all welcome!

Glad to hear we are all still welcome.

I am surprised with EI chosing BFS over BHX. One can only imagine that BHX has much more potential than BFS but lets give BFS a chance & see how it works out. FR are already on the offensive as usual announcing three routes out of BHD today albeit with a restricted payload.
Airports: SNN GWY NOC DUB ORK BOS EWR JFK ORD MCI BOI SEA LHR STN CDG LYS FAO GVA HKG MEL ADL HBA

f1eddie

Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:20 am

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 246):
Sure, we're past the days of central planning, but I am concerned that there's an attitude that just because EI won't serve Asia, or if it makes a pig's ear of DXB and doesn't interline with EK, we say "oh well, that's it".

Hmm quoting this from the last thread. Hope it works. Anyway i forgot to say i was talking to an acquaintance of mine from Australia and he flew home via dubai with EK/EI bout 2 months ago. He commented on how crap EI was but i never found out why that was. He said he got a o/w flight for $800 which is a brilliant price. I think i paid about $1300 o/w with SQ.

Anyway did anyone hear Adam Ruddock on the radio talking about his biography of MOL. He was asked where MOL would go after Ryanair and he said he did not know and also he thinks he will be around for some time in FR.

Regarding Asian flights dont we need to lengthen our runway before this can happen. I think SQ will be here like a shot once this happens as they have an office here and they were doing lots of advertising in Feb/March. I would say they would outdo EY on advertising. I suppose we will have to see. So is anyone going to buy a charity seat on the A380???
Flown on EI, FR, BMI, TG, PG, FD, JQ, DJ, LA, NZ, SQ, DL, LX, LH

OA260

Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:33 am

Quoting F1eddie (Reply 3):
So is anyone going to buy a charity seat on the A380???

Hmmm no I would probably be out priced!! Although the more they get the better as its a good cause!! I will wait until miles seats become available and also when its on the LHR route so I can do LHR-SIN-SYD !!

EISHN just one question , you say on a DUB to SNN flight you cant do web check in and you cant use fastpass machines ?? Is that right?? Do you just have to go to the desk to get a seat??

EISHN

Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:37 am

Quoting F1eddie (Reply 3):
He commented on how crap EI was but i never found out why that was.

I'd say he flew on an A330 without any PTVs. This means he gets off of a 14 hour or so flight with EK, on an A345. Those seats look pretty comfy. Not to mention the immense size of the IFE system, and the size of the PTVs. It has the new Airbus cabin. Everything is much more rounded, sleek, elegant, and fresh. He stapes onto one of EI's ageing birds, with the old cabins, practically no IFE, no Laptop power, broken lights and air conditioning, not to mention how bad the toilets get on EI flights. Also the food offerings. Big tasty meals with EK (from what I've heard) with free snacks and alcoholic drinks as well. EI serve decent enough meals out of Ireland. Snacks have to be payed for, as well as drinks. Has anyone seen the "new" headphones on EI lately (and not the one shown in my TR   )? They look like what VS was offering in 1992. Just some thoughts of mine.

QUOTE OA260
You can't select your seats. You can check in via the web and the machines, you just can't select your seats. They just give them to you. But once onboard, you can change to wherever (except Premier seats).

[Edited 2007-07-25 21:39:46]
St. Flannan/ Fhlanain- She took off to find the footlights, And I took off for the sky

Eirules

Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:46 am

Quoting EISHN (Reply 5):
I'd say he flew on an A330 without any PTVs. This means he gets off of a 14 hour or so flight with EK, on an A345. Those seats look pretty comfy. Not to mention the immense size of the IFE system, and the size of the PTVs. It has the new Airbus cabin. Everything is much more rounded, sleek, elegant, and fresh. He stapes onto one of EI's ageing birds, with the old cabins, practically no IFE, no Laptop power, broken lights and air conditioning, not to mention how bad the toilets get on EI flights. Also the food offerings. Big tasty meals with EK (from what I've heard) with free snacks and alcoholic drinks as well. EI serve decent enough meals out of Ireland. Snacks have to be payed for, as well as drinks. Has anyone seen the "new" headphones on EI lately (and not the one shown in my TR )? They look like what VS was offering in 1992. Just some thoughts of mine

Jees pretty damning comments EISHN, unfotunatly there is f**k all there i can disagree with. Westbound EI are considered to be fine purely due to the fact that the competition is crap. Lets be honest, 20 year old DL 767s, cramped CO 757s and the awful planes that US offer would look good if we compared them to some Latin American planes of the 1980s. But when EI come up against any sort of a quality airline such as EY, EK, CX, SQ etc then hey really do look second rate in every way, except for their fantastic staff
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

OA260

Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:27 am

Quoting EIRules (Reply 6):
Jees pretty damning comments EISHN, unfotunatly there is f**k all there i can disagree with. Westbound EI are considered to be fine purely due to the fact that the competition is crap.

True . Theres no way id entertain flying Y class on EI to USA unless it was DUO or DUZ and even then its not as good as UA or AA. Thanks for the check in info EISHN.

tonymctigue

Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:30 am

Jees pretty damning comments EISHN, unfotunatly there is f**k all there i can disagree with. Westbound EI are considered to be fine purely due to the fact that the competition is crap. Lets be honest, 20 year old DL 767s, cramped CO 757s and the awful planes that US offer would look good if we compared them to some Latin American planes of the 1980s. But when EI come up against any sort of a quality airline such as EY, EK, CX, SQ etc then hey really do look second rate in every way, except for their fantastic staff

Looks like EI's current product just isn't good enough for East bound routes yet & maybe that's why they are continuing to focus on the US for the time being.
Airports: SNN GWY NOC DUB ORK BOS EWR JFK ORD MCI BOI SEA LHR STN CDG LYS FAO GVA HKG MEL ADL HBA

shamrock350

Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:31 am

The Aer Lingus long-haul product is poor but thats being sorted, other airlines take a while to retire and introduce new aircraft with better products the same goes for Aer Lingus. One thing I am not happy about is that EI-DAA, EI-EWR and EI-LAX will be in the fleet for many years and they will not improve the cabin, the fact that passengers will still be flying to LAX without PTVs in 5 years time is embarrassing for Aer Lingus, even if they put the new A330s on the longer routes theres still a chance that you may get a PTVless aircraft. They could also work on the menu in economy, some more choice wouldn't hurt!

Quoting OA260 (Reply 7):
Theres no way id entertain flying Y class on EI to USA unless it was DUO or DUZ and even then its not as good as UA or AA.

I haven't flown UA but my AA experiences haven't been that great. IFE was fine but I'm sure the new AVOD EI have would be better and the seats would probably be better for space and overall comfort. Food was really nice on AA but the cabin crew looked like they were ready to chuck you out the door if weren't quick enough eating it. My last AA flight was in 2004 so things may have changed.

tonymctigue

Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:43 am

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 9):
I haven't flown UA but my AA experiences haven't been that great. IFE was fine but I'm sure the new AVOD EI have would be better and the seats would probably be better for space and overall comfort. Food was really nice on AA but the cabin crew looked like they were ready to chuck you out the door if weren't quick enough eating it. My last AA flight was in 2004 so things may have changed.

My two experiences with AA were both crap. I flew twice from SNN-BOS with AA & both times on the outward leg of the journey the IFE system broke down. Both times were on 752's which are very cramped even at the best of times. However I will concede that the food was above average as far as airline food goes.

f1eddie

Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:56 am

I can concure. Although with these new aircraft coming on line things should be looking up. Im flying delta at xmas so i will see for myself what they are like. Unlike you OA260 i dont get free upgrades or i cant/wont pay the price. Flying east i will always choose SQ if it suits. I would not be interested in Dubai anyway.

EISHN

Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:13 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 7):
Theres no way id entertain flying Y class on EI to USA unless it was DUO or DUZ

You know, it's funny. Fly on DUO after flying on DAA, you can't get over the world of difference there is. The cabin is brighter, sleeker, modern, refreshing, and relaxing. But, I was surprised. Flying home, I couldn't help but feel a little more cramped, and the seat felt a little more firm, all in all making it hard to get any sleep, although I did manage an hour or so, I'm not really sure. But then, for my DUB-SNN flight (EI 133) on EI-DUB, we had the old seats like on DAA, and most of the cabin was covered with the new covers, although about 30% still had the old green covers. It felt like I was flying in a dinosaur, even though it also had the new carpet. But, I found it to have more legroom, and also found myself to be a little more comfortable, although I prefer the position of the headrests on DUO. But I'd take DUO anyday for the IFE (although chatting to the cute american student across from me for the flight was good enough entertaiinment for me on the way to SNN Big grin ).
St. Flannan/ Fhlanain- She took off to find the footlights, And I took off for the sky

OA260

Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:20 am

Quoting F1eddie (Reply 11):
Unlike you OA260 i dont get free upgrades

Free upgrades??? I wish mate!!! Those are few and far between and mostly using my miles or paying these days. I just choose to pay . I just would feel dreadful after a 10 hour flight in Y . Its not worth the pain Big grin Anyway got a great deal on EI DUB to MCO. Paid EUR275 for my ticket and then called EI and paid EUR150 for a J class seat!!! Well worth it .

EISHN

Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:42 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 13):
Paid EUR275 for my ticket and then called EI and paid EUR150 for a J class seat!!! Well worth it .

I wanna see a trip report, capeesh?

kaitak

Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:13 pm

Looks like EI has more urgent concerns on its mind than product quality:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/irishex...qqa=ireland-qqqid=38225-qqqx=1.asp

De paper is reporting that there is a serious risk of all out industrial action at EI, over PCI 07; the unions and SIPTU particularly are objecting to plans to cut employee holidays and overtime; industrial relations are apparently at an all-time low. It's also been revealed that Merrion Stockbrokers are predicting profits far higher than those suggested by the airline at arbitration talks earlier this year.

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 9):
One thing I am not happy about is that EI-DAA, EI-EWR and EI-LAX will be in the fleet for many years and they will not improve the cabin, the fact that passengers will still be flying to LAX without PTVs in 5 years time is embarrassing for Aer Lingus, even if they put the new A330s on the longer routes theres still a chance that you may get a PTVless aircraft

I agree completely; this really isn't good enough; another good reason, as suggested above, for EI to focus on routes to the U.S. That said, I flew CO and although the 757 is a narrowbody, the service was very good and CO will soon have PTVs in Y class - AVOD included - on the 757.

tonymctigue

Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:52 pm

Looks like EI are in for more turbulent times. This really needs to stop if EI is to have any sort of a chance to compete on level terms with other carriers. It is very obvious that EI still carry's the burden of "Semi-State Company" & that employees/unions have not fully adapted to working in the private sector just yet. I hope all sides involved will see reason & avoid yet another embarassing strike in EI.

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 15):
That said, I flew CO and although the 757 is a narrowbody, the service was very good and CO will soon have PTVs in Y class - AVOD included - on the 757.

Couldn't agree more Kaitak. Having flown both AA's & CO 757's for some reason, even though the planes are almost identical, CO didn't seem so bad whereas AA seemed to be the longest most cramped flight I ever was on. I found it was so bad that when I finally managed to get to sleep, I dreamed I was getting off onto the airbridge at SNN! I I woke up after about an hour to find there was still three hours flying to go. Perhaps the most depressing moment I can ever remember while flying. Contrary to this, CO seem to have slightly more leg room & more comfortable seats as well as the fact that their 757's generally look to be in better condition than AA's both inside & out. Once they get the PTV's installed, flying on CO's 757's will be quite pleasant. The thing I hate most though about the 757 is its ability to cope with turbulance. Has anyone here ever experienced bad turbulance on a 757? They are bloody terrible. There's nothing more nerve recking than bad turbulance on a 757 somewhere over no mans land above the North Atlantic. I would love to eventually see a CO widebody serve the SNN-EWR route. Maybe in a couple of years time if the demand is there on this route they will upgrade to a 767.

n272wa

Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:51 pm

Hey lads, just a quick question concerning Lufty's operations in Ireland:

I heard a few threads back that LH were going to pull out of Dublin altogether, but are they not currently running 3 daily flights from FRA to DUB? Also, I saw it mentioned sometime back that LH were looking at expanding from HAM and MUC to DUB as well, but nothing materialised here either...
Remember those LH CRJ's from TXL, STR and HAM on a Saturday to DUB back in mid 90's?!
Next: (EI)DUB-ORD-DUB, DUB-EWR-IAH-DFW-MSY-AUS-AMA-DEN-EWR-DUB

OA260

Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:20 pm

Quoting EISHN (Reply 14):
I wanna see a trip report, capeesh?

Of course I have a few comming up over the next few weeks and will do full TR's . Its great to see more Irish TR's.

De paper is reporting that there is a serious risk of all out industrial action at EI, over PCI 07; the unions and SIPTU particularly are objecting to plans to cut employee holidays and overtime; industrial relations are apparently

Oh no not again. When is there going to be a time when EI is free of all this nonsense. If they dont like it then they can get a job in Tescos!!! There are alot of companies who have alot worse working conditions than EI. I think some people think they are in the old days.

legoguy

Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:13 pm

it's not just for de Dubliners; de Corkonians and de Shannonsiders are all welcome!

Ahem, and us Northern Irish guys!

Big Green is apparently about to add BFS-LHR, with four daily services; interesting to see how BD reacts to this.

Is it just me or have I been seeing BMI A321's flying out of Belfast City recently? I thought they recently got rid of their four A321's. Perhaps there is quite a demand between BHD and LHR that the A320 is just not quite enough.

Hopefully Aer Lingus will have great success in Belfast.
Can you say 'Beer Can' without sounding like a Jamaican saying 'Bacon'?

EIDAA

Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:43 pm

Free upgrades??? I wish mate!!! Those are few and far between and mostly using my miles or paying these days. I just choose to pay . I just would feel dreadful after a 10 hour flight in Y . Its not worth the pain Anyway got a great deal on EI DUB to MCO. Paid EUR275 for my ticket and then called EI and paid EUR150 for a J class seat!!! Well worth it .

Know what you mean about free upgrades - I was delighted when I was given one a few weeks ago on AF / WX, but it doesn't happen that often!

That really is a great deal on the MCO flight, €425 and you have a premier class seat all the way direct to Florida! I presume that is one-way? Might have to look at taking a trip over to my sister in Orlando with fares like that!!
Most Flown:- G-BUVA (20 Flights), EI-DEB (12 Flights), EI-JFK (11 Flights)

OA260

Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:50 pm

Quoting EIDAA (Reply 20):
That really is a great deal on the MCO flight, €425 and you have a premier class seat all the way direct to Florida! I presume that is one-way? Might have to look at taking a trip over to my sister in Orlando with fares like that!!

Yes its un real . Oneway and well worth it. I couldnt believe it. Called up and got my fav seat 3D also!!! Good IFE and loads of leg space. I know it wont be on the new A/C but still its pretty cool. I actually like the old J class seats. Im really glad i booked it as the planes quite full now and if I were to book it today it would be €826 oneway!!! It changed the next day so they must have got a group booking or something.

shamrock350

Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:00 pm

The unions will not get what they want by going on strike and I dont think DM would be very happy after they staged that strike a few weeks ago. Staff should realise that whenever they are unhappy about something they cant run to their union and go on strike and then expect their job to be there when they decide to go back. DM should also put more effort into talking with staff and unions and not just when theres a problem.

I agree completely; this really isn't good enough; another good reason, as suggested above, for EI to focus on routes to the U.S. That said, I flew CO and although the 757 is a narrowbody, the service was very good and CO will soon have PTVs in Y class - AVOD included - on the 757.

We can look forward to new A330s with a better product and we can say goodbye to some of older A333s in 2009 but I still think Aer Lingus really should update the A332s, they have no real excuse not to. I think EI need to work on the catering, more choice and better quality on all flights long-haul flights not just flights out of Ireland but flights on the way back too.

Quoting Legoguy (Reply 19):
Is it just me or have I been seeing BMI A321's flying out of Belfast City recently? I thought they recently got rid of their four A321's.

They still have two I think, GMIDC and GMIDL. They wont be around much longer though.

Anyway got a great deal on EI DUB to MCO. Paid EUR275 for my ticket and then called EI and paid EUR150 for a J class seat!!! Well worth it .

I hope we can look forward to one of your TRs!

OA260

Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:42 pm

FLT5573 (AviaJet) DUB to BOJ went out on Sunday 13 hours and 14 minutes late!!!

smokeyrosco

Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:04 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 23):
FLT5573 (AviaJet) DUB to BOJ went out on Sunday 13 hours and 14 minutes late!!!

Nothing new there, Aviajet is not the most reliable airline, I used to handle them when I worked in the airport. they once dropped a 747 in DUB with 25 minutes notice to the handlers. Other times flights where suppose to be positioning in and end up coming in full and often the handlers know flights are due in but times/aircraft/loads seem to be unimportant to aviajet.
John Hancock

EISHN

Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:48 pm

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 22):
I still think Aer Lingus really should update the A332s,

This is where it gets confusing. EI are talking about replacing them somewhere around 2016, I believe, which is fine so long as they have a proper makeover.EI has actually really screwed up their A332s. They have one new A332 kitted out with new seats, IFE, and crew rests. The old A332s however, have been ravaged on the inside. They used to have a capacity of 275 passengers with 24 Premier and 251 Economy. They now have a capacity of 257 with 22 Premier (two seats removed for the installment of a pilots rest area) and 235 Economy, with 16 seats removed for the installment of a cabin crew rest area. We all know how EI are so particular when it comes to commonality on short haul, but don't really care that much when it comes to long haul. I believe at some stage they are going to have to upgrade the interior of the A332s. Mybe when the next CEO comes along, he'll be more assertive, and get long haul in shape.

EISHN

Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:59 pm

Just noticed there's a large collection of videos from FUB on www.flightlevel350.com

http://www.flightlevel350.com/aviation_videos.php?detail=search

dstc47

Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:15 pm

A newly published series of maps by the RPA shows the route (s) of the Dublin Airport metro.

Map 3003 shows the location of the proposed airport metro stop. This is "conveniently" located under the car park behind the church.

The route, broken into various portions, is in a series of maps at
http://www.rpa.ie/?id=315

OA260

Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:17 pm

Quoting Smokeyrosco (Reply 24):
dropped a 747 in DUB with 25 minutes notice to the handlers

LOL....that must have been like supermarket sweep. Years ago we had a 747 come into LHR and there was a bomb scare and the pilot refused to take off until all the passengers came down off the plane onto the tarmac to identify their bags before re loading them on again!! Was a nightmare.

God the weather is crazy here at the moment. We just had the most terrible storm with sheets of rain the worst ive seen yet. The local Tesco's roof caved in and water everywhere!!!

shamrock350

Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:23 pm

By 2018 Aer Lingus should have 14 long-haul aircraft,
6 A350XWBs
7 A333s
1 A332
What is EI going to do with one A332?

Quoting EISHN (Reply 25):
Mybe when the next CEO comes along, he'll be more assertive, and get long haul in shape.

I should hope by the time DM leaves EI, most of the long-haul issues will be sorted out including the product. I dont think Aer Lingus need the trouble of introducing a new CEO. What DM should be doing is talking to staff and unions, hearing passenger opinions and acting on them to improve the passenger experience. To be honest I think they were just being lazy not updating the A332 cabins when they had the chance. Didn't someone say they heard EI got so,eone in from VS too look at the product? I dont think there is much to look at, all they have to do is put -DUOs cabin in -EWR, -LAX and -DAA.

EISHN

Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:06 am

Seeing as it's a "Special Dubliners" thread, I thought I'd post this:

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhcwaugbsnoj/rss2/

OA260

Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:43 am

Quoting EISHN (Reply 30):
Seeing as it's a "Special Dubliners" thread, I thought I'd post this:

Well Dublin is a cool city. It said it gets thumbsdown for noise and dirt but I wouldnt call Dublin any dirtier than other EU capitals. Hospitals are terrible though but thats the whole country!!! Dublin is alot nicer than alot of EU capitals.

shamrock104

Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:44 am

Aer Lingus long haul is appauling. It always used to be ok but after several flights recently i just decided to give up on it, its not worth the hassle especially when world class airlines like BA, AF, KL etc offer flights that are usually no more expensive. DM doesn't seem to have a clue how to run the operation and all the issues re unions arguing over minor issues just adds to the general malaise of the whole situation.

kaitak

Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:57 am

I have to say that I haven't flown long haul on EI for about 17 years (back when ORD was served twice weekly - two stop - with 747s!), but I do think that the one thing they need is consistency across the fleet. Having one flight with PTVs and another without is not good enough and it's simply not acceptable for them to continue like this for the next few years.

If they get someone in from VS, I hope they sit up and take notice; no major European carrier would be content to have a different standard of cabin across the fleet; they might think people won't notice or simply because they won't answer letters/complaints, the issue will go away; the pax may go away (to a different airline), but the problems won't.

Really, the best solution here is competition; if EI had a major quality competitor (like VS, for example) operating long haul out of DUB, you can be pretty darn sure they'd be quick to get PTVs installed across their fleet. Cue Virgin Ireland ...

smokeyrosco

Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:17 am

Quoting Dstc47 (Reply 27):
Map 3003 shows the location of the proposed airport metro stop. This is "conveniently" located under the car park behind the church.

Yeah I knew about this, it's not pretty is it. Metro stop was suppose to located where Area 14 is now (but that makes too much sense), then the DAA wanted to put it next to the great southern hotel (muppets) I guess what we now have is a compromise, To be fair the church isn't located too far from the terminal but there where other options rather then setting up area 14 down in the basement but the DAA management didn't want to lose their precious parking spaces.
John Hancock

OA260

Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:15 am

Quoting Smokeyrosco (Reply 34):
To be fair the church isn't located too far from the terminal

Well not the most ideal option. Under the terminal would have been good . If theres bad weather you will get soaked or are they planning a covered walkway. It might be something similar to SOU airport. At least its a link to the city which is badly needed.

COEI2007

Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:36 am

Quoting N272WA (Reply 17):
Hey lads, just a quick question concerning Lufty's operations in Ireland:

I heard a few threads back that LH were going to pull out of Dublin altogether, but are they not currently running 3 daily flights from FRA to DUB? Also, I saw it mentioned sometime back that LH were looking at expanding from HAM and MUC to DUB as well, but nothing materialised here either...
Remember those LH CRJ's from TXL, STR and HAM on a Saturday to DUB back in mid 90's?!

Didnt LH have STR flights not soo long ago? I remember hearing they were interested in starting MUC-DUB service with a CRJ.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 18):
Oh no not again. When is there going to be a time when EI is free of all this nonsense. If they dont like it then they can get a job in Tescos!!! There are alot of companies who have alot worse working conditions than EI. I think some people think they are in the old days.

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 22):
The unions will not get what they want by going on strike and I dont think DM would be very happy after they staged that strike a few weeks ago. Staff should realise that whenever they are unhappy about something they cant run to their union and go on strike and then expect their job to be there when they decide to go back. DM should also put more effort into talking with staff and unions and not just when theres a problem.

Well, unless you work for EI, you wont understand! Theres a lot going on at the moment, and i'm sure something will happen soon enough!

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 29):
What DM should be doing is talking to staff and unions, hearing passenger opinions and acting on them to improve the passenger experience. To be honest I think they were just being lazy not updating the A332 cabins when they had the chance. Didn't someone say they heard EI got so,eone in from VS too look at the product? I dont think there is much to look at, all they have to do is put -DUOs cabin in -EWR, -LAX and -DAA.

Its easy to sit back and think DM is doing nothing. The fact is, he is changing EI, albeit at a slower pace than we would all expect. Unions, and intense competition from FR on nearly every route EI operates on, isnt helping! I personally heard someone from VS was coming over, and trying to change the T/A service. I'd also heard that they were scrutinising flight reports more often, to try to gain more feedback, and see where they can improve the quality of service on long-haul flights. EI is recruiting a huge number of CC this summer, so the feeling is more a/c (320's and 330's) are on the way. DFW is probably first as a new destination, and the next is anybodies guess! DAA, LAX and EWR should receive the new cabins! I'd reckon they're waiting until early next year, when new A330's arrive, to allow some slack in the schedule to allow re-fits!

Thats just my opinion/ Galley gossip!

OA260

Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:00 am

Quoting COEI2007 (Reply 36):
Well, unless you work for EI, you wont understand! Theres a lot going on at the moment

I know about all the cuts and various problems among the staff . I hear it from a neighbour of mine but to be honest if a strike does happen it will hurt the strikers even more this time . Ive heard that in future it will be the hammer on the toffee effect. I dont support strike action at all . I can maybe sympathise with certain issues at EI but if staff strike it will loose any support that they may have not to mention putting future jobs at risk and damage to the confidence of potential clients. We have seen it all before. The last time the attitude of certain EI staff warrented instant dismissal and P45 without a reference!!!!

kaitak

Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:02 am

Thanks very much COEI2007; I'm glad to hear this. I appreciate that DM has a lot on his mind with the opposition from SIPTU and other unions and FR on the other side; one would think that the pressure from FR would encourage them to fall into line, but of course, if they were my holidays and my overtime, I'm sure I'd think differently!

The long haul operations are hugely important to EI and I think - obviously without knowing anything firm - that one of the areas they will be looking at is consistency of service; not much point in having the outbound flight great, with all bells, whistles and AVOD, if the return flight isn't up to much, or the acft doesn't have the same equipment.

Have you heard anything about DXB? If they're not going to allow connections with EK - as seems to be the case with the Winter schedule currently planned, then it doesn't seem as if they're terribly interested in it; maybe it would make more sense to use the capacity to open up a new route, like DFW. I hope they do continue DXB, but they really need to make sure the scheduling is right and the marketing is in place, at both ends, to make it work. Ideally, EK should be codesharing with EI and marketing DUB throughout its network. But I don't see any sign of that.

smokeyrosco

Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:03 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 35):
Well not the most ideal option. Under the terminal would have been good . If theres bad weather you will get soaked or are they planning a covered walkway. It might be something similar to SOU airport. At least its a link to the city which is badly needed.

The plan is to have the passangers walk in and out of the carpark (as you would for busses for quick park etc) climb an esculator (in the car park) then venture across the already conjested set down area into the terminal! not ideal at all. Not sure what the story will be with T2, will they expect passengers to use the one stop?
John Hancock

OA260

Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:15 am

Quoting Smokeyrosco (Reply 39):
Not sure what the story will be with T2, will they expect passengers to use the one stop?

Well I guess its still better than nothing . If its a 5 mins walk then so be it . We needed it 5 years ago so I just hope they get on with it .

tonymctigue

Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:26 am

Quoting Dstc47 (Reply 27):

Perhaps they will connect the metro to the main terminal via a tunnel with those moving walkway things like they have in the CO terminal in EWR or in BOS to connect Terminal E to the car park? It wouldn't be so inconvenient then. Area 14 was intended to be used as a Subway stop but the short term problems at DUB meant this space had to be used as an additional check in area.

COEI2007

Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:43 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 37):
I know about all the cuts and various problems among the staff . I hear it from a neighbour of mine but to be honest if a strike does happen it will hurt the strikers even more this time . Ive heard that in future it will be the hammer on the toffee effect. I dont support strike action at all . I can maybe sympathise with certain issues at EI but if staff strike it will loose any support that they may have not to mention putting future jobs at risk and damage to the confidence of potential clients. We have seen it all before. The last time the attitude of certain EI staff warrented instant dismissal and P45 without a reference!!!!

I dont think an all out strike will happen, in my opinion. That doesnt rule out a work to rule!

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 38):
Have you heard anything about DXB? If they're not going to allow connections with EK - as seems to be the case with the Winter schedule currently planned, then it doesn't seem as if they're terribly interested in it; maybe it would make more sense to use the capacity to open up a new route, like DFW. I hope they do continue DXB, but they really need to make sure the scheduling is right and the marketing is in place, at both ends, to make it work. Ideally, EK should be codesharing with EI and marketing DUB throughout its network. But I don't see any sign of that.

I had a look at the loads for the next 2 weeks, and they're really good. J is pretty full for a few dates, and cargo does really well! I read there is some problems with the B6 tie-up, and its going to take longer than expected, so maybe they're waiting to get that sorted, then sort out an EK tie-up. I also

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 38):
one would think that the pressure from FR would encourage them to fall into line, but of course, if they were my holidays and my overtime, I'm sure I'd think differently

Exactly! Nobody wants to give up holidays, and days off!

Also, found this:

Aer Lingus revamps website to fight off increased competition
Source: nma.co.uk | Published: 17 May 2007 00:00
Irish national airline Aer Lingus is working to redevelop its website, as it looks to update its online profile and identity in the face of increased competition from the likes of Ryanair and Aer Arann. NMA understands that technology and digital media group Conchango has been selected.

Aer Lingus shortlists four agencies
Source: mad.co.uk | Author: Branwell Johnson | Published: 26 July 2007 16:45
Aer Lingus has shortlisted four UK agencies to pitch for the business to promote the Irish airline to British travellers.
The agencies are Vallance Carruthers Coleman Priest, Mustoes, Delaney Lund Knox Warren and Miles Calcraft Briginshaw Duffy. The pitch is being overseen by Aer Lingus head of marketing Fintan Lonergan with the help of the AAR.

OA260

Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:07 am

Quoting COEI2007 (Reply 42):
I had a look at the loads for the next 2 weeks, and they're really good. J is pretty full for a few dates

Im just wondering why some tour operators have been told that they will not be getting renewed contracts for Nett fares past 29th March for the Dubai route!!! Loads of rumours are going around . One being that an A330 will be a regular visitor to BFS . Maybe free up an A330 off DXB to facilitate this!! Like I said lots of rumours going around , some reliable and some not .

shamrock350

Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:18 am

I understand that unless I work for EI I dont feel the effects of the changes happening but if things continue like they are, with more frequent strikes, unhappy staff and a management team under pressure not to mention the threat of rising costs and oil price, the airline might not be around to see the A350 take to the skies never mind take delivery of them. ok I'm exaggerating here Wink but the threat from other airlines is bad enough, they dont need a staff dispute. I do think DM and Unions will be able to talk though this and I'm glad to hear that they are looking at passenger opinions and have someone with VS working with them, it shows things are being done but do the passengers, the most important people know it? Maybe this is where more advertising would help.

Quoting COEI2007 (Reply 36):
Its easy to sit back and think DM is doing nothing. The fact is, he is changing EI, albeit at a slower pace than we would all expect.

I think DM is doing a good job and I would hate to see him leave or be forced out I think that would be terrible, however as a passenger I'm not happy at the fact that I could end up flying an aircraft with great seats, great food and IFE but then on the way back I might end up flying on an aircraft with old seats, no or little IFE and less than satisfactory food.

Irish national airline Aer Lingus is working to redevelop its website, as it looks to update its online profile and identity in the face of increased competition from the likes of Ryanair and Aer Arann. NMA understands that technology and digital media group Conchango has been selected.

Seeing as this was on the 17th May has the revamp already happened with the new website logo or can we expect a whole new site?

Aer Lingus has shortlisted four UK agencies to pitch for the business to promote the Irish airline to British travellers.

Excellent news! I would love to see more of EI in Britain, I hope i can look forward to a TV ad campaign or is that just wishful thinking Big grin

f1eddie

Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:18 am

That guy Adam i think from travel extra was on RTE again today. He commented on the EI base in Belfast saying it may happen but its not confirmed yet.
He then talked about how Ryanair and how MOL is going to gauge how Easyjet react to him being there. This is his first confrontation with them since they tried to move into Knock and Cork(am i correct here on these destinations). He said they will do one of two options. Either throw on loads of capacity or just pull out. I dont see FR pulling out though and i dont see Easyjet backing down from a fight at all. Should be an interesting few months ahead in that regard.
He also commented about NWA coming into SNN as there is some issues in Detroit with international arrivals and the fact that SNN will have full border control by next year so it will make this really easy for NWA to route people through SNN. Then he went on to talk about DUB T2 and how he doubts it will be ready for late 09 as they are still waiting for planning permission!!!!
Then he went on to talk about cheap destinations for a week or two week getaway. He also commented to look out for cheaper business class seats as business travellers dont travel during the summer months.
Thats it from me.
Over and out

COEI2007

Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:46 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 43):
Im just wondering why some tour operators have been told that they will not be getting renewed contracts for Nett fares past 29th March for the Dubai route!!! Loads of rumours are going around . One being that an A330 will be a regular visitor to BFS . Maybe free up an A330 off DXB to facilitate this!! Like I said lots of rumours going around , some reliable and some not .

I'd say a BFS-SNN-USA, or SNN-BFS-USA route could be on the cards!!! I dont think CO would be too happy if EI starts T/A services from BFS!

tonymctigue

Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:51 am

Quoting F1eddie (Reply 45):
He also commented about NWA coming into SNN as there is some issues in Detroit with international arrivals and the fact that SNN will have full border control by next year so it will make this really easy for NWA to route people through SNN

I doubt that operating via SNN will be NWA's preferred option. I would presume they would prefer to sort out the issues at DTW. However if NWA do come to SNN then I presume that the flights will operate DUB-SNN-DTW-DUB-SNN with all pax coming on the DUB-SNN leg having to disembark & pass through US customs. I presume that the passengers will need to claim their baggage in order to dot this? Sounds very awkward doesn't it.

EI321

Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:54 am

ALDERGROVE LANDS AER LINGUS BASE DEAL

Quote:
BELFAST International Airport at Aldergrove has beaten off Birmingham to become a major new base for Aer Lingus.
An official announcement to this effect is expected during the first two weeks of August and sources indicate hundreds of new jobs will be created as the Irish national carrier expands its route network out of BIA. The first flights are expected to take off later this year and the airline will initially base two A320 aircraft at Aldergrove with speculation these will be joined by a third in 2008.
It is believed a major priority for Aer Lingus and BIA will be the re-establishment of a Heathrow service from the airport.
Indeed it has been reported this week such a service could start as soon as next month with four flights each way per day.

http://www.lisburntoday.co.uk/news?articleid=3063283

f1eddie

Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:00 am

Quoting Tonymctigue (Reply 47):
I presume that the passengers will need to claim their baggage in order to dot this? Sounds very awkward doesn't it

Well there would be the option to interline with EI if they are still doing this route. But with EI and interlining at the moment that would not be likely!!!