vinniewinnie

Do Low Cost Companies Carry Cargo?

Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:18 am

Simple, maybe stupid question, but I'm just wondering...

If yes, which carriers? By Cargo I don't only mean small containers, but also post....

Isn't it a way to increase revenue un general? Take Easyjet for example since they usually fly between well established airports surely they can take cargo at no additional cost. Low load factors can be compensated by a decent amount of cargo in the belly...

srbmod

RE: Do Low Cost Companies Carry Cargo?

Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:24 am

EISHN

Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:39 am

St. Flannan/ Fhlanain- She took off to find the footlights, And I took off for the sky

Bongodog1964

Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:10 am

I don't think U2 & FR handle cargo; well I know for certain that they won't handle the sort of cargo I ever despatch (expired passengers)

adriaticus

Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:22 am

I know for a fact both Interjet and Volaris, two extremely successful Mexican LCCs, are doing a good business carrying cargo in their bellies. www.interjet.com.mx and www.volaris.com.mx

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Luis Tena Orozco - AeroImagenes de Mexico
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Luis Tena Orozco - AeroImagenes de Mexico

__Ad.
A300/18/19/20/21 B721/2 B732/3/G/8 B741/2/4 B752 B762/3/4 B772/3 DC8/9/10 MD11 TU134/154 IL62/86 An24 SA340/2000 E45/90

ehho

Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:31 am

I remember when Vbird was still around at NRN a strange story went around that they hauled cargo in their A320s during off-peak hours, and pax during peak. Obviously, they didn't reconfigure the cabin for the night, so it must've been some heavy cargo then. I don't know, probably a silly myth. Anyway, it's an interesting topic.
"Get your facts first. Then you may distort them as much as you please" -- Mark Twain

srbmod

Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:51 am

Quoting EHHO (Reply 5):
I remember when Vbird was still around at NRN a strange story went around that they hauled cargo in their A320s during off-peak hours, and pax during peak. Obviously, they didn't reconfigure the cabin for the night, so it must've been some heavy cargo then. I don't know, probably a silly myth. Anyway, it's an interesting topic.

Back in the 1980s, Eastern Airlines had a contract to haul cargo at night for a company using some A300s based out of Houston and they actually sold seats for the flights at a dirt cheap price. You couldn't check bags because the cargo hod was used for the cargo Eastern was carrying for this handling company.

BlueWingWalker

Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:03 am

I don't have a link, but b6 carries U.S. Mail, Flowers, Human Remains, amoung other things
The recipe for perpetual ignorance is to be content with your knowledge and satisfied with your opinion.

musapapaya

Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:59 pm

As far as I was told by a 4U pilot a couple of years ago, they do fly cargo only flights at night after all passenger services. I dont know if they do carry cargos during passenger flights though.
Lufthansa Group of Airlines

RJdxer

Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:49 pm

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 1):
It's fairly common with the US-based LCCs, here's a few examples:

But they are pretty restrictive in what they will take. Only Frontier states that they will accepts HR's, and animals. Two of the four specifically say they won't, and none of them accept dangerous goods. So "cargo" is a pretty restrictive term when it comes to the LCC's. WN used to make a bundle moving mail, do they still have the contract for that?
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

bx737

Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:54 pm

I would think that due to fast turnarounds many would be unwilling to carry cargo as it increases the length of time required to turn the aircraft around. Aer Lingus carries very little cargo on European flights for this very reason, long haul they do but in general not too much on short haul, AMS, LHR and FRA are the short haul routes that spring to mind. FR introduced baggage charges to cut down on baggage carried thus reducing turnartound times, so I would doubt they would carry cargo.

srbmod

Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:46 am

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 9):
WN used to make a bundle moving mail, do they still have the contract for that?

I'm not sure which airlines still even carry the mail, as I know FL and NW quit doing it because the USPS cut the rates they were paying. In addition, in the post 9-11 world, there was new equipment airlines would have to buy in order to handle the mail, and some airlines felt that the expense of buying such equipment (which was in the millions of dollars) outweighed the revenue the mail would generate.

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 9):

But they are pretty restrictive in what they will take. Only Frontier states that they will accepts HR's, and animals. Two of the four specifically say they won't, and none of them accept dangerous goods. So "cargo" is a pretty restrictive term when it comes to the LCC's

Handling HRs always creeped me out when I worked@ EV. We carried cremains and small caskets and I would try to avoid loading any flights I knew had HRs on them. I'm guessing the cases of some of the LCCs, they really cannot handle HR caskets over a certain size due to space limitations in the cargo hold (same is probably true in regards to animals as well). So instead of limiting HRs to a certain size, they just have a blanket policy regarding them. Considering how much money airlines charge to ship HRs (My grandfather many years back was in Air Cargo for Eastern and even back then [late 1970s, early 1980s] the price to ship HRs was more than double the passenger fares.), it may be some revenue these airlines are missing out on.

I was working at FL when they introduced their ASAP Cargo program (it got axed after 9/11 as a result of some of the cargo restrictions put in place) and we'd get all kinds of stuff coming in as cargo. Just about every BOS-ATL came in with a load of live lobsters, and there were flights some nights where we had more cargo than bags and mail. Some of the more interesting things I remember included several film cans that contained reels of the movie "Magnolia" and sheets of uncut circuit board backing.

adriaticus

Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:31 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 11):
I'm not sure which airlines still even carry the mail,

FX is moving the largest bulk of the USPS, both domestic and international.

__Ad.
A300/18/19/20/21 B721/2 B732/3/G/8 B741/2/4 B752 B762/3/4 B772/3 DC8/9/10 MD11 TU134/154 IL62/86 An24 SA340/2000 E45/90

RJdxer

Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:56 am

I'm not sure which airlines still even carry the mail

CO does, and has all that equipment too.

I'm guessing the cases of some of the LCCs, they really cannot handle HR caskets over a certain size due to space limitations in the cargo hold (same is probably true in regards to animals as well).

? The cargo holds and doors of a 737NG are the same on WN as they are on CO. HR's and animals don't tavel on RJ's but if it's a boeing, the doggie is going.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

musapapaya

Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:23 am

I'm not sure which airlines still even carry the mail,

UA? I got a parcel from the USA and there is a tag on it saying the parcel was on a UA flight to LHR.

Mach3

Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:51 am

Vey esay question to answer. Just go to your local commercial airport and look at the freight area. You'll see which carriers have office's. UAL is huge in the Cargo business. Most carrier's have small package counters in the baggage area's. They make a ton of money with small packages.
If you pull on the Tiger's tail, better be prepared for him to bite you in the ARSE

ha763

Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:54 am

I suspect most LCCs do not carry or limit the type of cargo they carry because it actually increases costs. You have to have a cargo warehouse, comply with security regulations, increased paperwork, etc. Carrying cargo does not necessarily increase turn around time because the airline sets a cutoff time for the flights and if it is not there with all the paperwork in time, it doesn't fly on that flight. Most cargo is ready to be loaded for a flight before the flight has even arrived.

Most airlines still carry mail, but mostly point to point. Most do not carry domestic transfer mail anymore because of the tracking requirements of the USPS. The only exception I've seen is foreign mail. I work in cargo and regularly go to the post office to get the mail for our flights and have seen the mail destined for other carriers.

pmurr

Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:16 am

Virgin Blue are expanding their freight services, both domestically and internationally.

We may also see an expanded role in the future for Virgin Blue as a service provider for Toll's freight services.

TS-IOR

Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:39 am

From Monastir, MIR/DTMB, you can book for your cargo on a LTU, Tuifly or Air-Berlin flight.

georgebush

Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:45 am

Allegiant Air does not carry cargo or mail. I have no idea why... but they dont.
Al Gore invented global warming.

FCKC

Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:53 am

Norwegian carries mail between Orly and Oslo.

NoUFO

Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:04 am

Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 3):
I don't think U2 & FR handle cargo;

FR does indeed not carry cargo, and O'Leary said he had no intention to change that.
I support the right to arm bears

musapapaya

Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:25 pm

The other day I was sitting in the terminal at MAN and found that even BA flights there dont seem to be carrying any cargos. A few of their flight heading to LHR just have baggage loaded and thats it - even on a 757.Im not sure about KLM or LH flights as I was just sitting next to T3.

alespesl

Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:46 pm

SkyEurope carries cargo in the a/c.

srbmod

Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:12 pm

Quoting Georgebush (Reply 19):
Allegiant Air does not carry cargo or mail. I have no idea why... but they dont.

Probably because of the way their schedule is set up. When you're flying somewhere from LAS of SFB a handful of times a week, folks probably wouldn't be looking to send cargo on one of your flights.

Quoting Adriaticus (Reply 12):
FX is moving the largest bulk of the USPS, both domestic and international.

I was referring to passenger airlines.

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 13):
? The cargo holds and doors of a 737NG are the same on WN as they are on CO. HR's and animals don't tavel on RJ's but if it's a boeing, the doggie is going.

Unless it's a 717.

Bongodog1964

Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:29 pm

Quoting Musapapaya (Reply 22):
The other day I was sitting in the terminal at MAN and found that even BA flights there dont seem to be carrying any cargos. A few of their flight heading to LHR just have baggage loaded and thats it

Hardly surprising really. Its quicker (and far cheaper) to transport freight from Manchester to London by road; only four hours approx door to door by road if in a hurry; or about £60 per pallet overnight.

ha763

Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:44 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 24):
Quoting RJdxer (Reply 13):

Unless it's a 717.

Animals can and do travel in the cargo hold of the 717, unless you're AirTran. HA does it everyday.

[Edited 2007-07-29 22:47:58]

ManchesterMAN

Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:12 am

Lots of LCCs carry cargo. Silverjet and Maxjet have increasingly sucessful cargo operations and as mentioned previously many of the US LCCs have cargo operations. US Airways in particular carry lots of cargo.
Flown: A300,A319,A320,A321,A330,A340.A380,717,727,737,747,757,767,777,DC9,DC10,MD11,MD80,F100,F50,ERJ,E190,CRJ,BAe146,Da

Pe@rson

Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:31 pm

Many years ago FR carried cargo but it was eliminated: cargo represented less than 1% of its total revenue. Carrying cargo also complicated its simple, lean operation. I have read that coffins can be carried on flights to Knock. Is this still the case?

[Edited 2007-07-30 14:35:09]
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

PanHAM

Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:43 pm

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 28):
I have read that coffins can be carried on flights to Knock. Is this

Naah, they stopped it after there was someone knocking from inside.  Big grin

Now, seriously- some LCCs do and some don't. FR is among those who don't and they might be right with that decision because of the airports they serve. O'Leary saiys it costs him more than he coulöd gain aqnd that's it.

Different with Easyjet, they should think about a cargo project since they serve main airport to main airport. They can leave the sales and handling to firms sepcialized and just make sure that the turn around times are kept.

Air Berlin any many others all over the world have appointed Leisure Cargo - which is a LTU company - for their freight business. They act as GSA and they operate a very large system, even offering interlining. It pays for all concerned and the airlines get some additonal revenue.
powered by Eierlikör

A342

Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:45 pm

Leisurecargo, a subsidiary of LT, markets the belly capacity of LT's own fleet as well as that of other LCCs and charter/holiday carriers. Have a look at their website and you'll see their customers:

http://www.leisurecargo.com/

Cargo Counts is a similar company, they're a subsidiary of LH Cargo: http://www.cargo-counts.com
Exceptions confirm the rule.

cricket

Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:49 pm

Don't know the scenario in India, from what I have heard some Indian LCC's (SpiceJet and Air Deccan) are carrying cargo for courier companies, because India is dramatically under-served in domestic air-freight!
Don't know about LCC's in the rest of Asia though!
A300B2/B4/6R, A313, A319/320/321, A333, A343, A388, 737-2/3/4/7/8/9, 747-3/4, 772/2E/2L/3, E170/190, F70, CR2/7, 146-3,

VgnAtl747

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:44 am

Virgin America has a section about cargo on their website...
Work Hard. Fly Right. Continental Airlines

FlyingColours

Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:39 am

Do BA aircraft still carry the Royal Mail logo? I guess they do a fair bit of cargo flights but mainly on longhaul routes.

I know that the charter airlines do a fair bit of cargo hauling too, I know many times I operated LCA-MAN/PFO-MAN with a few cases of Oranges being carried in the hold. Also I do recall that Monarch carried some aircraft parts in the holds of one of their 757s when one of our 737s went tech downroute. As for which ones I know that FCA/DP & My Travel carry cargo (Done by Viking, which I think is an Airtours company?), Excel have carried cargo and like I said Monarch have helped us out in the past.

Cargo is easy money on charter flights, if you restrict the amount of hold baggage you can squeeze a few containers or bins on and carry them off to some airport where no scheduled carrier flies directly (Ala the holiday destinations, like ZTH, EFL, JSI, RHO, SSH).

I think the biggest slow downs on turnaround is if the cargo is oversize or requires special handling, (anyone see that turle being flown back to the Canaries from MAN courtesy of VZ). Also the (cabin) crew would need dangerous goods training, as we need to be able to understand how to deal with fires/leaks regarding dangerous goods in the hold. I presume only a few airlines actually bother with DG training (XLA did, but then again those were the days when they were owned by Air Atlanta) and stick to carrying harmless goods like fruit (except those rotten fruits which set those hold fire alarms off on the BA 747 a few years back.... Wink)

Phil
FlyingColours
Lifes a train racing towards you, now you can either run away or grab a chair & a beer and watch it come - Phil

Pe@rson

Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:02 am

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 29):
Naah, they stopped it after there was someone knocking from inside.

Only because he refused to buy a scratch card!  Big grin
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

PanHAM

Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:30 am

Quoting FlyingColours (Reply 33):
aining, as we need to be able to understand how to deal with fires/leaks regarding dangerous goods in the hold. I presume only a few airlines actually bother with DG training (XLA did, but then again those were the days when they

Airlines can restrict the kind of cargo they carry. However, if DGR is carried, it needs to be properly checked, packed and manifested. That is the job of the cargo department and only specually trained personel can do that. They pilots need the information, the cabin crew has little influence when something happens. There are hardly any incidents with DGR because of the excellent training and awareness of all concerned.

For LCCs, if they carry freight, I would recommend not to handle DGR or HUGOs (regardless if knocking or scratching) Live anmimals etc. That is the full service carriers domain. .