MAH4546
Topic Author

Air France To Offer Direct MIA-SXM Flights

Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:32 pm

Effective 1 November 2007, Air France will offer three direct flights a week between Miami and St. Maarten, via Port Au Prince. The flights will operate with A320 aircraft, and continue on to Pointe Pitre.

Schedule:

AF 3943 MIA 0835-1020 PAP 1145-1415 SXM 320 MoTuTh
AF 3944 SXM 1735-1820 PAP 1920-2110 MIA 320 MoWeSu

St. Maarten will be the fifth Caribbean destination that Air France serves from Miami. While all flights to/from Miami have an immediate stop in Port Au Prince, depending on the day Air France also operates direct service to Cayenne, Fort de France, and Pointe Pitre.

Air France is basing a second A320 in the French Antillies, as previously discussed. This is allowing them to increase Miami service from 3x weekly to daily, as well as adding A320 service to Santo Domingo and St. Maarten (complimenting Paris service), and adding Paramaibo to the Air France network.
a.

acelanzarote

RE: Air France To Offer Direct MIA-SXM Flights

Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:35 pm

so can you book a ticket MIA-SXM-MIA and what sort of prices are we looking at????
from the Island with sun and great photo's.. Why not visit Lanzarote

adicool

Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:34 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Thread starter):
and adding Paramaibo to the Air France network.

Wow, that's totally new to me. I kinda like the idea of AF increasing their presence in the Carribean sea...but why serve Paramaibo before Bélem?

fly2yyz

Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:08 am

Quoting Adicool (Reply 2):
Wow, that's totally new to me. I kinda like the idea of AF increasing their presence in the Carribean sea...but why serve Paramaibo before Bélem?

I'd say its more along the lines of creating an alternative to the VFR traffic from the Netherlands to Suriname?

MAH4546
Topic Author

Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:19 am

Quoting Fly2YYZ (Reply 3):
I'd say its more along the lines of creating an alternative to the VFR traffic from the Netherlands to Suriname?

The flight doesn't feed into or from anything from Europe. On the Tuesday frequency, it will be possibly to connect to Paramaibo via AF's ORY-CAY flight. I think they are simply going for intra-Caribbean traffic here. Paramaibo is served non-stop from Amsterdam already, but is weakly served intra-Caribbean.
a.

adicool

Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:15 am

Putting up the route ORY-CAY-BEL could be huge success. I mean, BEL is not served my TP and hence has no direct transatlantic service...I think AF starting a regular service could have a major impact on the city and could turn very well into a gold mine for AF - apparently they have a very good reputation in Brazil and expanding into the Brazilian market should be one of the priorities for AF, having in mind that TP, member of *A, has increased their presence drastically over the last few years...
Of course it's a bit problematic that this route would be served by ORY Airport and CDG, making connection difficult...
AF flies to CAY daily, don't they? If maybe having 3x weekly flight being routed CDG-CAY-BEL, then I can see it happening

pizzaandplanes

Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:44 am

Where would they base the A320 crew if their would only be two planes?
A real man lands where he wants to

MAH4546
Topic Author

Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:52 am

Quoting Pizzaandplanes (Reply 6):
Where would they base the A320 crew if their would only be two planes?

The plane and crew are based in Pointe Pitre. This is not a new operation, but they are adding a second airplane to be based in PTP starting at the end of October. If I am not mistaken, the crew and pilots come from France on extended stays. Air France rotates in pilots and FAs from France. I vaguely recall this being the case, but somebody might be able to correct/clairfy.

The planes fly to Cayenne, Fort de France, Miami, Pointe Pitre, and Port Au Prince. With the new airplane, they are expanding service on current routes and adding Paramaibo, St. Maarten, and Santo Domingo. For a long time (until around 2000 or so, IIRC) they also operated service to Caracas. This operation has been going on for nearly three decades, and Air France was flying to Miami from the French Caribbean long before they were flying to Miami from Paris.
a.

Watapana

Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:23 pm

About a month ago Air France placed an add in a local newspaper (Daily Herlad) on Sint Maarten looking for local based cabin crew. So, this will mean that these intra-Caribben flights will have Caribbean crew onbaord. One of the requirements was a valid EU passport. This will give locals from both sides of the island a chance at becoming cabin crew.
SkyCruise Airlines- Your going places and SO are We!

addi375

Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:03 pm

The pilots are on extended contracts from France with the cabin crew is local.
I think AF should give AA a run for thier money on JFK/MIA - Haiti flights.
All those flights are mostly OD from so that should kill the eniter conecion idea
Walmart prices with Bloomies service...........

md90fan

Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:39 pm

Quoting Addi375 (Reply 9):
I think AF should give AA a run for thier money on JFK/MIA - Haiti flights.

They would struggle going up AA and it's A300 (267 seats IIRC;Roach Coach) service, also I don't think AF is really committed to Haiti where they would bog down an aircraft on a 4 hour trip to NYC, instead it functions as a stop on their island hopper to fill up seats en route to the smaller destinations.

Quoting Adicool (Reply 5):
I mean, BEL is not served my TP and hence has no direct transatlantic service..

I'm pretty sure once TAP takes on more widebodies (in the form of A330s), Belem will be added, also ATM, Belem can be reached to Paris through Domestic connections, TAM's Miami service, and the ever-exotic Air Caraibes service.
http://www.devanwells.blogspot.com/

MAH4546
Topic Author

Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:46 pm

Quoting MD90fan (Reply 10):

They would struggle going up AA and it's A300 (267 seats IIRC;Roach Coach) service, also I don't think AF is really committed to Haiti where they would bog down an aircraft on a 4 hour trip to NYC, instead it functions as a stop on their island hopper to fill up seats en route to the smaller destinations.

Correct. Pretty much the only reason why AF flies to PAP is to serve as a seat-filler. Air France frequently is the cheapest carrier on the route, with o/w fares starting at $123, much lower than AA's usual fares. While it doesn't hurt that PAP itself is a high-fare, limited competition airport, the real money comes from PTP/FDF/CAY traffic, which is very high-yielding, but nowhere near as huge.
a.