sparklehorse12

JQ - Charge You $15.00 To Apply For A Job!

Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:51 pm

My dislike for JQ is not popular on this forum and the beauty is we can all have our opinions however, JQ charge 15.00 to apply for a job. Can any JQ employees confirm this is the same for all positions? I am sure even if you like JQ that you will agree this has gone too far!!

Is anyone else OUTRAGED about this utter arrogance and stupidity!?!?
Airlines Flown : QF,NW,AA, CX, AC, MH, SQ, DJ, NZ, TG, PG,US, FJ, J8, AN, DD, JQ

sevenair

RE: JQ - Charge You $15.00 To Apply For A Job!

Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:54 pm

Well, its not as bad as some airlines! One LCC I know of charges 200GBP to apply to be a pilot - and 20,000GBP extra IF you are successful!

Lumberton

Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:55 pm

Quoting Sparklehorse12 (Thread starter):
Is anyone else OUTRAGED about this utter arrogance and stupidity!?!?

Outraged? Not really. But it is "outrageous" enough to spread! Universities have been charging application fees for as long as I can remember, so why not employers?
"When all is said and done, more will be said than done".

sparklehorse12

Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:00 pm

Well, it is outrageous in my opinion and downright typical of JQ and QF arrogance.........not even TR charge nor do DJ........geezus what is the world coming to!
Airlines Flown : QF,NW,AA, CX, AC, MH, SQ, DJ, NZ, TG, PG,US, FJ, J8, AN, DD, JQ

VHVXB

Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:17 pm

My dislike for JQ is not popular on this forum and the beauty is we can all have our opinions however, JQ charge 15.00 to apply for a job

Were you planning to apply for a position?  

[Edited 2007-07-29 14:18:08]

vheca

Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:21 pm

Quoting Sparklehorse12 (Reply 3):
Well, it is outrageous in my opinion and downright typical of JQ and QF arrogance.........not even TR charge nor do DJ........geezus what is the world coming to!

One of Low Cost Carriers, perhaps? It would not suprise me to see some airlines try to cover costs we they have sacrificed them on airfares.

It could be worse, I guess, as stated above by Sevenair. Some business call it "Application Processing Fees".
PAX on-312,320,722,732,733,73H,73W,739,742,743,74C,752,753,762,789,AB4,CR7,D1C,D28,DHT,F27,L11

srbmod

Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:47 am

It does cost airlines quite a bit of money to hire employees. They've got to pay for a criminal/employment background check, drug testing, physicals (Some airlines actually make employees take a pre-employment physical, most for CYA reasons. When I went to work for EV, they did ergonomics tests, hearing tests, vision tests, and some of the usual stuff a physical entails.), and that's even before you get sent to training. And if the person isn't going to be based out of the city where the training center is, they have to fly them to that city and put them up in a hotel for the duration of training. That's hundreds of dollars (or even thousands of dollars) invested before the person even is officially hired. And what if after all that, the person washes out of training or quits during training? Or say several days into the training, something like a positive drug test or something in their background check they didn't disclose immediately disqualifies them from the job? Or they get through training, get out there in the field and decide they made a bad decision and quit? That's money the company has essentially wasted. So you can't blame a company for charging to submit an application, as it helps offset the costs they incur with screening potential employees.

Hypothetical and overly simplified situation:

Let's say it costs XYZ Airlines on average, $500 to hire a single ramper. Over the course of the year, they process 5,000 applications of which 1000 applicants get asked to go to training and go through all of the pre-employment processes. And of those 1000, 500 of them bail out of the process at some point or are disqualified for employment. Of the remaining 500, 150 don't even last a few months in the job. So barely a third of the folks they brought in to join the company over the course of a year even remain with the company. In some cases this may barely keep up with turnover. Cost break down:

$500,000 spent to process 1000 potential employees.
$250,000 the amount of money spent on those who did not finish the hiring process for whatever reason(s).
$75,000 the amount of money spent to process employees who worked for the airline a very short time.

So essentially, $325,000 got wasted a year.

Now let's say they charged $25 to apply for a job and despite the charge, they still managed to attract 5000 applicants a year. That generates $125,000 a year, which helps cut the amount of "wasted" money by well over a third.

It also probably helps them get better candidates for the job as well (as people willing to spend money in order to apply for the job are more than likely serious applicants), and potentially over time, the amount of money spent on applicants that don't pan out or stay with the company very briefly after hiring gets less and less. This in turn could eventually mean that the application fees pay for the processing of provisional employees and in the long run saves the company money.

khobar

Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:48 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 6):
It does cost airlines quite a bit of money to hire employees. They've got to pay for a criminal/employment background check, drug testing, physicals (Some airlines actually make employees take a pre-employment physical, most for CYA reasons. When I went to work for EV, they did ergonomics tests, hearing tests, vision tests, and some of the usual stuff a physical entails.), and that's even before you get sent to training. And if the person isn't going to be based out of the city where the training center is, they have to fly them to that city and put them up in a hotel for the duration of training. That's hundreds of dollars (or even thousands of dollars) invested before the person even is officially hired. And what if after all that, the person washes out of training or quits during training? Or say several days into the training, something like a positive drug test or something in their background check they didn't disclose immediately disqualifies them from the job? Or they get through training, get out there in the field and decide they made a bad decision and quit? That's money the company has essentially wasted. So you can't blame a company for charging to submit an application, as it helps offset the costs they incur with screening potential employees.

The company is in the business to make money. It costs money to make money. The company is investing time and money in the tools it needs to make that money, and the tools include employees.

The employee doesn't choose where they are to be based, so if the airline has to fly them and put them up in a hotel, etc. that's the airline's fault, not the employee's. If the person washes out or quits, that's life and the company tries to recoup losses as tax write-offs.

If several days into the training, something like a positive drug test result disqualifies them from the job, then the airline's drug testing lab has the responsibility to perform the drug tests earlier to prevent a repeat. The candidate should also be informed of the result - drug tests are not perfect.

If someone does get the job and then decides they made a bad decision and quit, that's life. The company is no more committed to the employee than the employee to the company. Companies don't spend money on training, etc. for the benefit of the employee - they spend it for the benefit of the company.

So, yes, since the company is in business solely to make money, and it uses employees to achieve that goal, and the company has sole choice over who they hire and who they don't, I can blame them for charging a fee.

Now if they were forced to hire anyone who handed in an application, that would be entirely different.

smcmac32msn

Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:53 am

I thought it was a bad idea for them to charge when I first read this thread, but its actually a good idea. $15 isn't a lot and it makes the future employee think about what their doing before they apply. It costs the airline money to send the new hire to training in the hub city and if they don't end up staying very long, they atleast get to recover $15 of that $$$$$ to the employee (who didn't last's training). It makes you wonder and weeds out who really doesn't want to apply/work for that company.
Hey Obama, keep the change! I want my dollar back.

pilottim747

Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:14 am

This all sound great except that they'll be missing out on talent that won't apply because of this application fee.

I am in the midst of a job search. I've applied to about 40 different jobs so far at many different companies. It's obvious to me that the majority of my job applications will not turn into an offer for a position. If a company tried to charge me $15 to submit an application I'd just move on...lots of companies out there who don't charge.
Aviation Photographers & Enthusiasts--Coordinate your life.

Poitin

Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:19 am

Quoting Khobar (Reply 7):
The company is in the business to make money. It costs money to make money. The company is investing time and money in the tools it needs to make that money, and the tools include employees.

Absolutely correct. It is a cost of business to find good people.

Maybe they should have to hire a headhunter to find them applicants, like we do in the high tech world. If they are charging money for people to apply, then they should not be surprised that the don't get the better people who are turned off by the arrogance and in time wonder why they are so short of qualified personal. If this is true of JQ, then it is very, very shortsighted.
Now so, have ye time fer a pint?

srbmod

Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:47 am

Quoting Pilottim747 (Reply 9):
This all sound great except that they'll be missing out on talent that won't apply because of this application fee.

Those who are willing to pay are more than likely serious about wanting the job. Sure some potentially good applicants may be missed because they aren't willing to pay to apply, but it also separates the wheat from the chaff as it were.

Having gotten hired at two airlines via open houses, the vast majority of those who attended those job fairs didn't even get invited to go to training. When I was hired at FL, the open house I went to had probably close to 100 people and of that number, barely 20 of them were invited to training. Of that 20-odd people, 12 actually completed training. When I was hired at EV, there was about 25 folks who showed up for that one, and only 7 got asked to continue the process. Recruiting employees in this manner can be very time consuming as on occasion, it takes time to get enough bodies to even be able to hold training classes. I used to know a guy @ FL that went into recruiting department and he told me that at times it would take several open houses or booths at job fairs to even get enough folks to hold a training class. It was not uncommon to have folks wait several weeks to be told when to report to the training center.

The employee doesn't choose where they are to be based, so if the airline has to fly them and put them up in a hotel, etc. that's the airline's fault, not the employee's.

While that may be true for pilots, F/As, and mechanics, it's not necessarily true when it comes to ramp agents, ticket agents, or gate agents. When I went through training @ EV back in 2000, the first three days of classroom training included folks who were going to be working at an outstation and were hired in that local area. Someone who was going to work as an agent in PFN wasn't going to be hired out of ATL nor would someone from another city be hired to work at ATL unless they had already made plans to move up here anyway (I knew some guys when I worked at FL that pretty much moved here in order to get hired because they weren't hiring at their home airport and were hoping to transfer there eventually.).

jhooper

Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:12 am

Soon you're going to be paying "application fees" to the FAA to get your certificates, so be ready for it. BTW, $15 isn't unreasonable and helps keeps frivolous and unqualified people from applying wasting everyone's time and resources. If you really want to work for JQ, it's should be a no-brainer for you. If I recall, when AA was hiring in the late 90s, didn't they charge a $100 application fee?
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

Gemuser

Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:02 am

Quoting Sparklehorse12 (Reply 3):

Even if your are right about TR now (I have doubts) don't expect it to last much beyond the actual start of operations. This practise AFAIK originated with FR in the airline world so it will be no big surprise to see it happen at TR.

In Oz it is starting to become standard practise in some industries and is estimated to be common within 2-3 years. Once again it's not just JQ and not just the airlines.

gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

sparklehorse12

Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:13 am

I am floored by the apathy..........where does the responsibility of the employee lay when it comes to paying for good people?

FLYGUY767

Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:24 am

My dislike for JQ is not popular on this forum and the beauty is we can all have our opinions however, JQ charge 15.00 to apply for a job.

Northwest Airlines charged a $25.00 fee payable by check in 1995 or 1996 to apply for a Flight Attendant position..

It is not a new pratice, and it makes sense. Doing the research to hire a candidate can take a lot of money. It would make sense that they charge for an applicant to apply. In addition it weeds out the applicants who really want the job.

-JD
Summer Trip 2007: DEN HAAG>DUBAI>LONDON>VERONA>COSTA SMERALDA>CAPRI

sparklehorse12

Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:35 am

Quoting FLYGUY767 (Reply 16):
Northwest Airlines charged a $25.00 fee payable by check in 1995 or 1996 to apply for a Flight Attendant position..

It is not a new pratice, and it makes sense. Doing the research to hire a candidate can take a lot of money. It would make sense that they charge for an applicant to apply. In addition it weeds out the applicants who really want the job.

-JD

Well, I guess I totally and utterly disagree. It is a new practice in Australia I guess more and more we are going down the "free marketeer" track like our friends across the pacific. I might start charging my employer each time I tidy my office or fix a small issue with my computer.

greggarious

Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:43 am

I could think of worse possibilities. I payed about $500 a couple of years ago to apply to seven universities (around $70 per school). Last year I decided to transfer, so I wound up doing it twice. Like I said, it could be worse. The costs surrounding applying (and attending, but that's another story) to American universities are far more outrageous, in my honest opinion. Considering all the work that goes into reviewing applicants, I'd say that 15 dollars is actually somewhat reasonable.

sparklehorse12

Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:55 am

Quoting Greggarious (Reply 17):
I could think of worse possibilities. I payed about $500 a couple of years ago to apply to seven universities (around $70 per school). Last year I decided to transfer, so I wound up doing it twice. Like I said, it could be worse. The costs surrounding applying (and attending, but that's another story) to American universities are far more outrageous, in my honest opinion. Considering all the work that goes into reviewing applicants, I'd say that 15 dollars is actually somewhat reasonable.

Fortunately our Universities in Australia are not as corporatized as in the U.S and yes there is an application fee however I am puzzled why Universities are even being mentioned in this thread. Universities are not corporations and never should be.

The argument of it weeding out frivolous applicants is irrelevant in my humble opinion because applying for a job is not a slap-dash microsoft word job, it takes time. Anyone knows if you are to be taken seriously you need to put a hell of a lot of work into an application. If people apply who are time wasters the weeding out process is simple, take one glance and put the application to one side. I feel the arguments are flimsy, this is money making venture for JQ and before you ask if I know what it is like to hire people, yes I do, I hire people in my current position from beginning to end.

Halophila

Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:03 am

This may prevent 'doll diary' spurious applications for positions for which doll recipients are hopelessly underqualified. I haven't lived in Australia for several years now, but when I was young it was common practice for doll recipients to apply for doctor's positions, just to satisfy their number of applications for that week.
Flown on 707, 717, 727, 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 741 742 743 744 74SP 757 753 762 763 772 773 77W D10 DC9 M11 M80 M87

industrybuff

Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:04 am

Hello All

JQ charges new applicants an admin fee, QF charges all new applicants for the ASIC and
police history checks, and all MAM casual FA's also pay fees both to QF and to MAM before
commencing employment. As for DJ im waiting confirmation on that.

Anyway its a small sum of money .... and the way of the world.

* Id like to know if Sparklehorse has been interviewed for a role with JQ, didnt get it and therefore
lost his money * ?????

Cheers
Ibuff

sparklehorse12

Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:26 am

* Id like to know if Sparklehorse has been interviewed for a role with JQ, didnt get it and therefore
lost his money * ?????

Cheers
Ibuff[/quote]

Hello Industrybuff,

No , I did not apply for a job with JQ, have never and never will for the simple reason that I personally don't want to work for a company that behaves like JQ does and dumbs down the standards of business in this country(purely my opinion)

Quoting Industrybuff (Reply 20):
Anyway its a small sum of money .... and the way of the world.

What world are you living in? It's news to me and many other people.....look up seek or career one, I don't see any application fee's on there when you apply for positions. QF charge the applicant for the relevant checks after they are verbally offered the position subject to the checks, so your assertion is incorrect. Have fun in your world.
 wave 

* I wonder if Industrybuff knows DJ don't charge for applying*

greggarious

Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:27 am

Quoting Sparklehorse12 (Reply 18):
Universities are not corporations and never should be.

Welcome to America! Unfortunately, my college experience thus far has indicated that American universities tend to be administered as such. It's a shame, but education is a business these days.

Anyone knows if you are to be taken seriously you need to put a hell of a lot of work into an application.

By the same token, reviewing applications can also be a painstaking process, as I'm sure you know (judging by the rest of your post). While it's possible that they might be attempting to earn some extra money on the side (as you and VHECA [reply #5] suggest), I don't find it particularly unreasonable.

So, yes, since the company is in business solely to make money, and it uses employees to achieve that goal, and the company has sole choice over who they hire and who they don't, I can blame them for charging a fee.

That's the rub, in a nutshell.

Edit: Grammar

[Edited 2007-07-30 02:28:49]

RIHNOSAUR

Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:06 am

The argument of it weeding out frivolous applicants is irrelevant in my humble opinion because applying for a job is not a slap-dash microsoft word job, it takes time. Anyone knows if you are to be taken seriously you need to put a hell of a lot of work into an application. If people apply who are time wasters the weeding out process is simple, take one glance and put the application to one side. I feel the arguments are flimsy, this is money making venture for JQ and before you ask if I know what it is like to hire people, yes I do, I hire people in my current position from beginning to end.

checkmark   checkmark   checkmark 

very well said...with all honesty, I am very surprised to hear some people's opinion on this issue, granted I respect every one's opinion here but I just do not understand all those of you who are out there to defend the righteousness of a company to charge applications fees ..(are they paying you to think this way or what????). IMO that is just outrageous and out hand.

the company is indeed out there to make money but where do you draw the line?????..I work for a company and I completely understand that the bottom line is to make money....but I also help them make money as an employee and I can surely tell you that I spend so much of my personal time "which benefits the company" do I feel that I am entitled to charge extra for all the instances here and there when i sacrifice my personal time....

as mentioned before....when my computer breaks down ..when there are problems in transportation...when a business trip is delayed........when I have to spend a weekend out of home....should I "charge the company for every singe aspect that affects my personal life...

NO

I know one must charge for services provided.....but there is this other thing called common sense, and my common sense tells me that charging for your demonstrated interest in the company is too much. Any how it seems to me that a well managed company will budget the cost it takes to hire its employees and use its revenues accordingly to sustain a free application policy...

ohhh that is right that might mean the ceo's can get that much of raise next year.......(but that is a separate discussion)

By the way universities, that is an different story, although some people here have mentioned that in some countries this doesn't happen (demonstrating that through good management it can be done), you could argue that they are not out to make money thus they need the help....

cheers..
particles and waves are the same thing, but who knows what that thing is...

kubus

Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:38 pm

Sorry but if I had to pay just to apply for a job, I wouldn't want to work there in a first place. It just tells me that the company is too cheap, and apparently doesn't see that an employee is an investment.

HPAEAA

Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:51 pm

Fortunately our Universities in Australia are not as corporatized as in the U.S and yes there is an application fee however I am puzzled why Universities are even being mentioned in this thread. Universities are not corporations and never should be.

Just to point out... while I agree by and large with your statement and it's a little off track, but here in the US we have University of Phoenix Online, which is a fully accredited University that is also a for profit Corp. It was started by a man from academia who got sick of the politics in the Universities here.... just as an FYI...
Why do I fly???

anstar

Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:41 pm

Quoting Kubus (Reply 24):
Sorry but if I had to pay just to apply for a job, I wouldn't want to work there in a first place. It just tells me that the company is too cheap, and apparently doesn't see that an employee is an investment.

There a loads of wannabees in the airline industry and this just helps weed out the ones that are not passionate about it.

$15 well spent

eoinnz

Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:43 pm

If people apply who are time wasters the weeding out process is simple, take one glance and put the application to one side. I feel the arguments are flimsy, this is money making venture for JQ

Anyone can appear one way during an interview process and different when they get the job and start working - no interview process can fully reveal the person within. By making people pay it will certainly eliminate a large amount of these time wasters.

I wouldn't say JQ is making money out of it, simply making less of a loss.

Since you quite clearly have something against Jetstar, I believe that you won't agree with any reason, even if it is logical and fair. You don't like Jetstar - we get it.

VHVXB

Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:53 pm

Quoting ANstar (Reply 26):

$15 well spent

Not to mention you are eligible for tax deduction once you are employed by JQ

skidmarks

Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:01 pm

If you are out of work and looking for a job then having to pay for applications could be crippling. You dont just apply for one job, you spread your CV around and hope something comes back. When I was recently made redundant from BA/Flybe, I applied for in excess of 40 jobs. At a $15 rate that would have been more than $600 with no guarantee of return. Couple that with the cost of traelling to each interview and you have a cost that could become financially disastrous.

A job is not a right but it is a give and take thing between employer and employee. The employer employs a staff to carry out administration and vetting among other duties which makes a specific fee for applying nonsensical and a clear profit making scam. The company gets a return on its investment from your application once you commence work. If their working environment is so bad they think employees are going to drop out of training, leave after only a short period or some other reason then I would suggest that they forget charging to apply but overhaul their working practices to ensure the employee WANTS to work and doesnt feel inclined to just leave.

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

57AZ

Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:31 pm

My dislike for JQ is not popular on this forum and the beauty is we can all have our opinions however, JQ charge 15.00 to apply for a job.

Welcome to the real world. $15.00 isn't worth complaining about when you see what other companies require just to get an interview. Here in the states, if you want to hire on with CSX Transportation as a conductor trainee, you have to go to one of the community colleges that offers the Railroad Sciences program that CSX helped initiate. You have to go through the whole program and get the Associates Degree. Then, after you've paid the tuition and other school costs, you get an interview with CSX-not a guaranteed job offer.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

Gemuser

Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:03 pm

Quoting Kubus (Reply 24):
It just tells me that the company is too cheap, and apparently doesn't see that an employee is an investment.

A good description of 80-85% of ALL companies doing business in Australia!

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

PER744

Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:55 pm

I personally wouldn't have a problem with it.

Whilst I've not applied for any airline jobs, I know Air Services Australia charge a fee if you make it through to a testing day with them, around $90 or so I believe.

In the case of JQ, I'd imagine it's to cover external costs they incur such as clearances, rather than covering their internal expenses.

ADXMatt

Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:19 pm

back in the late 1980's early 1990's when getting a job with an airline paid well and was a career TWA used to charge for your flight attendant training. It was payroll deducted over a period of time.

Atlantic Coast a.k.a. independance air used to charge first officers about $10,000 for their initial training.

It depends on the job and how much of a demand there is for it.

I personally wouldn't pay to apply for an entry level position with low pay. If the job paid well and was an extremely competitive position I just might give in to paying.

HKGKaiTak

Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:28 pm

Quoting Sparklehorse12 (Reply 14):
I am floored by the apathy

I'm pretty meh about it myself - unfortunately that's the case of wanting a job in a profession that has more demand than supply. $15 is really nothing - it's enough to stop the people who apply just for the hell of it and maybe they get better applicants (or just better quality resumes) out of it. I actually find it to be quite a good tactic. What can you buy with $15 anyway?

Fortunately our Universities in Australia are not as corporatized as in the U.S

You obviously haven't been at university lately - I'm both a student and academic staff and unis operate on "business principles" with a healthy dose of doctrine thrown in. IIRC Education is Australia's 3rd biggest export industry ...
4 Engines 4 LongHaul

hz747300

Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:39 pm

$15 to apply is not unreasonable and it serves several purposes. If you think JQ is laughing all the way to the bank with $15 per applicant, you are wrong. They probably have found that is the perfect amount to not be punitive and still be effective. I would be even more supportive of it if you said that when you are hired and pass the probation period it is refunded. Try becoming a stockbroker, you pay for everything up front on your own. JQ is not compelled to make the process easy, and there is no benefit to them for making it easy--it would probably only add to the stack of crap CVs they have to sift through anyways.

If you fly JQ, you can't be shocked. They charge for everything... EVERYTHING! On top of fares that are not that cheap to begin with.
Keep on truckin'...

hugosel

Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:46 pm

JQ, I am sure, will charge this fee as long as the marginal benefit (more efficient screening yielding lower cost per hire, + fee revenue) outweighs the marginal cost (fewer applications and candidates to choose from, workforce resentment). I say, let's encourage innovative approaches, and let the market decide whether they work or not...

Simes

Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:20 pm

It's a stupid idea, yes it costs to hire and train people, however the business is able to claim these costs to minimise their tax exposure, basically internal and external costs are legitimate business expenses, the organisation's accountants should treat it as such. Some people have said in the same post that $15 is nothing and it's to weed out timewasters. Well....if it were to weed out timewasters - wouldn't it be more than $15?

Sounds cheap and nasty to me and it would discourage me from applying there (I'd be more inclined to apply at the parent company instead!)

sparklehorse12

Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:47 am

Quoting HKGKaiTak (Reply 34):
You obviously haven't been at university lately - I'm both a student and academic staff and unis operate on "business principles" with a healthy dose of doctrine thrown in. IIRC Education is Australia's 3rd biggest export industry ...

I actually go to University part-time so that blows your assertion out of the water. Education is not a commodity so sadly I think you might be misguided when you talk about education being our third biggest export industry...anyways, completely off track.

I agree, charging to apply for a job is cheap,nasty,tacky and a show of JQ's true colours.

itsnotfinals

Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:15 am

Quoting Poitin (Reply 10):
Maybe they should have to hire a headhunter to find them applicants, like we do in the high tech world.

You're about 6 years late with that comment. With websites like Dice.com and others, no self-respecting tech company pays a 20 or 30K or higher fee any more. this is limited to C level only these days.

I thought you said you were a Venture Capitalist....hmmm.
Speedbird 178 Heavy, FINAL runway 27L

Gemuser

Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:54 am

Quoting Sparklehorse12 (Reply 38):
Education is not a commodity

laughing   laughing   laughing 

I teach at the tertiary level, believe me "officially" it IS a commodity! Under the GATTS (The general Agreement on Trade & Tariffs in Services) it is treated as a commodity, hence the current Federal governments stealth attempts to destroy the 170 year old TAFE system in this country.

I would totally agree that education SHOULD NOT be treated as a commodity. If you truly believe that you should make yourself aware of the facts and do something! Write your MP, support the various union & non union groups opposed to it, whatever you can!

Gemuser

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos