Aer Lingus
Topic Author

Aer Lingus And Their A330's

Sat Aug 12, 2000 9:01 pm

Got this from another forum.

Transaer will take over the lease of 3 x Aer Lingus A330s and will operate on their behalf to North American destinations, also one of these a/c to go to Libya to operate TIP(Tripoli)-SNN-JFK.
What's the story with this ?
Pilot21, you're usually up to date with Aer Lingus info
Can you enlighten me ?
Does anyone think this is a bit strange ?

Yes I have posted this topic under another title but I'm really anxious to see does anyone know anything
Martin

kaitak

RE: Aer Lingus And Their A330's

Sun Aug 13, 2000 1:05 am

Hmm . . . I think this reeks of a herring which happens to be deep red in colour. Tripoli to New York? Half the passengers would be Islamic Jihad and the other half, CIA. Wouldn't like to see an air rage incident on that flight. Joking apart, I think as long as Col. MG is in charge, there won't be any US-Libya flights and certainly, you can take it that Aer Lingus would not be co-operating in such an operation.

Anyway, Aer Lingus's t/a services are doing quite alright without the need to lease any out.

This sounds like a wind up!

dstc47

Sun Aug 13, 2000 1:34 am

Kaitak is right.

Why would EI wish to transfer aircraft, operating on their most profitable routes now to another operator?

cedarjet

Sun Aug 13, 2000 2:09 am

That said, TransAer are quite a big airline and last timed I checked, had a fleet of A300B4s which were getting kind of creaky. Maybe they're looking to replace them with the lovely A330, and Aer Lingus will order some new A330s...?

Agree that the market for US - Libya service would be a bit on the low side. I love the mental image of a planeload of Islamic Jihad guerillas and spooks in black suits and shades, all eyeing each other up, lunging at each other, "In the name of the United States government-" "No! In the name of God, the merciful, the beneficient-" "Hey, screw you, pal!" "No, screw YOU, infidel!" Bullets turning up on meal trays, ceremonial swords confiscated by the captain ("It will be returned to you at Tripoli baggage claim sir - hey what's that ticking noise coming from under your robe?")
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

Aer Lingus
Topic Author

RE: Aer Lingus A330's, Here's The Full Post

Sun Aug 13, 2000 2:14 am

Q:I see on the GCAS website that 2 x A300B4s operated by Irish-based company TransAer will be up for sale early next year. With no known replacement aircraft, does anyone have an idea what future, if any, the A300B4 pilots (permanent and contract) have with TransAer?

Reply:There are several rumours regarding the future of the company, let alone the A300 fleet. One such rumour, all the management are jumping ship, and the company is going down. Not making money......... On the other hand, TLA will take over the lease of 3 x EI A330s and will operate on their behalf to EI North American destinations, also one of these a/c to go to Libya to operate TIP-SNN-JFK. Also, the possible idea of just operating A320s until the B737-800s arrive.