skyhawk62507

Inappropriate Cabin Crew Conversation?

Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:15 am

Not sure if this could be considered a trip report or not... and while I'm no fan of the carrier this occurred on, I'll be the first to admit this probably could have happened on any airline.

I was on NW 625 Sunday night, MSP to ABQ. Sat in row 23 on an A320, two ahead of the rear flight attendant station. Apart from the usual cramped accomodations, it was a decent flight, on time and even had a nice light show due to T-storms around ABQ.

The flight attendants had been chattering in their station throughout the flight, and while this was a little annoying it wasn't a big deal. However, with about 20 mins to go before touchdown, one of the attendants began to speak of her ordeal with breast cancer... including graphic details of her chemo treatment and double masectomy.

I'm also a cancer survivor, and so I'm familiar with this type of conversation... as well as the desire to share this kind of story with others. But on a commercial airline flight, on which you're a crewmember? It's worth noting she was speaking in a normal tone of voice, and was easily heard by everyone near the back of the aircraft -- people in row 19 were glancing back at the station, apparently in response to details of the conversation.

On my way out of the plane, I flagged down the chief attendant, and explained the ordeal. I related the details to her, said I did not want the attendant in question to get in trouble, and that I was glad to hear she was doing well now -- "but on a commercial flight, I'd prefer to not hear about this kind of thing at all," I added. "It's beyond inappropriate."

The attendant seemed to agree, but did not specify what kind of action would be taken.

Was I out of line? I didn't think so at the time, but now I'm having second thoughts. It still seems this was an extremely personal story to be sharing with coworkers on the job, within earshot of 30 or so total strangers.

Thoughts?

swiftski

RE: Inappropriate Cabin Crew Conversation?

Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:24 am

Quoting Skyhawk62507 (Thread starter):
what kind of action would be taken

What would you want to happen?

I was called a c**k in April by crew chatting to each other, which was fair enough because I was indeed being a fussy sh*t that day, but I didn't like hearing it from them. They offered me 5k miles when they realised; end of.

skyhawk62507

Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:28 am

Quoting Swiftski (Reply 2):
what kind of action would be taken

What would you want to happen?

A simple reminder of what is appropriate OTJ conversation and what is not would have sufficed.

smokeyrosco

Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:31 am

Do you chit chat in your workplace? I think it would have been a nicer thing to flag down the attendant in question and just mention that you are uncomfortable with the conversation being had.
John Hancock

AASTEW

I guess the same thing applies to passengers as well. F/A's also don't like to here passenger's outrageous celluar phone conversations or better yet their conversation, with passengers sitting right next to them.

It's just basic manners. Some people have them some don't.

Also, you never know if those F/A's were best friends/relatives. However, I wouldn't necessarily share that information with another crewmember I may never see for awhile.

AASTEW

richm

You're overreacting by far. If that was me, I'd be glad to hear that she was ok. I must say though, you must have exceptionally good hearing.

Just because the working conditions are cramped and in close proximity to passengers, it does not mean to say that they should not be allowed to exchange conversation at times during the flight. I fail to see how the nature of this conversation was inappropriate. The fact was that they were not talking to you and therefore it's none of your concern anyway.

Perhaps next time you'd consider buying a pair of inflight headsets so that you could listen to the IFE instead of listening into other people's conversations.

sevenair

Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:48 am

Sometimes I find easyJet crew from NCL having discussions which I find slightly inappropriate, particularly on the very early morning flights! But I don't know. Perhaps it is an NCL thing. I admit when I worked for a well known Swedish furniture shop, we would have dodgey conversations, but we would always ensure we were out of earshot from the customers!

speedbirdegjj

Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:49 am

FFS, they wonder why our beloved industry is going to the wall, if its not govt regulations, security checks, increased taxes etc, we're not even allowed to be human at work anymore.... just very very sad i'd say

skyhawk62507

Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:50 am

Quoting RichM (Reply 6):
You're overreacting by far. If that was me, I'd be glad to hear that she was ok. I must say though, you must have exceptionally good hearing.

Not so much. As I said, people in row 19 were looking back at the station, seemingly in response to comments the FA made. This was also at the back of an A320 away from the engines.

Quoting RichM (Reply 6):
Perhaps next time you'd consider buying a pair of inflight headsets so that you could listen to the IFE instead of listening into other people's conversations.

It wasn't by choice, friend... a) the plane had no IFE, and b) I didn't have to try at all to "overhear" the discussion.

nzrich

Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:50 am

Quoting RichM (Reply 6):

Mind you that person may just have a loud voice .. I have heard crew talk and i have been seated 10 rows away from the crew seats .. Now as i was fellow crew i went up to the guy and he does have a very loud voice and told him ..he didnt believe me untill i told him exactly what he said in the conversation !! He was shocked to say the least but he did thank me as he did not realising now far his voice can travel ..
"Pride of the pacific"

starguy

Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:51 am

I was called a c**k in April by crew chatting to each other, which was fair enough because I was indeed being a fussy sh*t that day, but I didn't like hearing it from them. They offered me 5k miles when they realised; end of.

OMG!
The aircraft, especially the galley, is our little office/home and we are so at home onboard the aircraft that sometimes we do forget that there are customers sitting sometimes just a metre away from us. Crew love to gossip, we love scandal, the juicier and dirtier the better and that will never change. We are also used to having to talk so loud over the sound of the engines, ovens and 6 other crew conversations, that we totally forget just how much can be heard from inside the passenger cabin. Once on a flight to Hong Kong as a passenger, I was standing at the 744 5 doors with my friend sharing some juicy gossip, when a crew member came down from the 4 door galley to let me know that him and his colleagues could hear every word that was being spoken, I was mortified.

swiftski

Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:57 am

Quoting StarGuy (Reply 11):
Crew love to gossip, we love scandal, the juicier and dirtier the better and that will never change.

It's just human nature to talk about things; that's why I said something, but wasn't overly fussed.

Same crew spent a couple of hours chatting to me about where to go out in London, once the lights went out (SFO-LHR)

jhooper

Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:14 am

Quoting StarGuy (Reply 11):
We are also used to having to talk so loud over the sound of the engines, ovens and 6 other crew conversations, that we totally forget just how much can be heard from inside the passenger cabin.

Last time I flew AA, the crew was totally unprofessional. Not only was the flight attendant giggling throughout the entire safety announcement as if it were a joke, they were so busy gossiping they neglected to bring me the cup of water I had very politely asked for (during the regular cabin service). Maybe they could spend less time BSing in the galley and more time doing their jobs.
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

lowrider

Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:33 am

Thoughts?

I think your over-reacting a little. If the conversation was troubling or kept you from sleeping, you could have asked them to quiet down and I am sure they would have accomidated you. It was obviously not a conversation you were meant to hear. I think going to the lead flight attendant was a little spiteful.
Proud OOTSK member

pacifique75

Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:43 am

Quoting SpeedbirdEGJJ (Reply 8):
we're not even allowed to be human at work anymore.... just very very sad i'd say

Exactly my thoughts!!!
Also due to the nature of our job, flying with different crew almost every day, we sort of talk about anything and everything to build a rapport and get easily used to confide in your colleagues, get on with one-another quickly...
Remember that we do stay away from home (and family/friends) many times and often I've flown with other crew members who somehow have the need to offload their problems, have a chat and they just turn to a colleague they feel closer to.

starguy

Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:46 am

Quoting Jhooper (Reply 13):
they neglected to bring me the cup of water I had very politely asked for (during the regular cabin service). Maybe they could spend less time BSing in the galley and more time doing their jobs.

I'm sure that you did ask politely as most people do, but when we are doing cabin services, we often get asked for things and we do sometimes forget, even though we have the best of intentions to get it for you. I wasn't there so I can't speak for them, but I would imagine that it wasn't done to offend you. I know how sorry I feel when I see that passenger again and I realise that they asked me an hour ago for the simplest thing and I forgot.

I do find laughing throughout safety demos annoying and unprofessional, but having stood up in front of 200 passengers myself, all it takes is for your life jacket strings to get tangled or a colleague to look at you and you remember something they said 2 minutes earlier and that is it, laughing fit, and the more you try to suppress it and be professional, the worse it gets. It doesn't happen often at all and you do feel like a complete idiot after cause you know that it wasn't even funny. What more can I say, it one of those "you had to be there" moments

Sasha

Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:13 pm

On a LHR-GLA late eve shuttle flight with BA cabin crew kept giggling entire 50 mins of the flight... in fact they were laughing so hard that in all the fuss they simply didn't manage to collect the trays from the reclining tables on the entire B-757. So we landed with the tables in horizontal position, which thinking about it raises serious safety concerns be it a landing of the rough kind. It all went smooth and FAs collected the trays while the plane taxiied to the gate  Smile.

Neither me or the rest of the passengers didn;t have a clue what the crew were all excited about but I did notice a few distressed glances from the pax.
An2/24/28,Yak42,Tu154/134,IL18/62/96,B737/757/767,A310/320/319,F100,BAe146,EMB-145,CRJ,A340-600,B747-400,A-330-300,A-340

sevenair

Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:21 pm

Quoting SashA (Reply 17):
So we landed with the tables in horizontal position, which thinking about it raises serious safety concerns

Well a pax could use their initiative - put the table up and hold the very small, lightweight service trays used on BA.

varig md-11

Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:33 pm

Quoting SashA (Reply 17):
So we landed with the tables in horizontal position

though crew chat could be annoying, this is far more risky!!!
I even don't understand how a purser manage to let this happen: if the plane skids off the runway landing what will happen with these trays?
AF TW AA NW DL UA CO BA U2 TP UX LH SK AZ MP KL SN VY HV LS SS TK SQ PC RG IW SE LI TN

FLYACYYZ

Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:46 pm

Quoting Smokeyrosco (Reply 4):
Do you chit chat in your workplace?

Exactly. Sorry that SKYHAWK62507 found this topic unpalatable. While the company often reminds us to keep "galley chat" at a minimum, and at a low audible level, there are certain topics which I agree should be off limits. They include:

*Company politics & particularly company bashing
*Union Issues
*Personal references to customers or other crew on board
Above and Beyond

airbazar

Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:06 pm

Thoughts?

I think you did right. I too have had similar experiences and there's nothing more annoying than having to listen to someone else's conversation on a late night flight while trying to doze off. Chit-chatting in front of customers is unprofessional, no matter what your line of business is. I'm not saying you should tape your mouths shut but common courtesy applies here so it should be kept at a minimum and to a tone that is not disturbing to others. It's worth mentioning however that this "less formal" type of attitude is far more predominant in the US where corporate culture in general is less formal (again, this applies any customer facing job, not just the airlines). It's still no excuse though but, that's life.

PAHS200

Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:32 pm

Last time I flew AA, the crew was totally unprofessional. Not only was the flight attendant giggling throughout the entire safety announcement as if it were a joke

it kinda is, no one really cares about anyway

one of the attendants began to speak of her ordeal with breast cancer... including graphic details of her chemo treatment and double masectomy.

what was wrong about that? maybe a member of the crew knows somebody with it and is just talking about.

I would say you should clam down, its not big of a deal, people talk about gross things all the time

Quoting Airbazar (Reply 21):
nothing more annoying than having to listen to someone else's conversation on a late night flight while trying to doze off.

stuff your head in the seat.. i bet people don't want to hear what you have to say, sometimes too

airtran717

Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:36 pm

Quoting Jhooper (Reply 1):
F/As chit-chat all the time within earshot of customers about a plethora of inappropriate things. Most of them think they have the power of God so they can get away with it. Meanwhile, all we have to do is sit down, put on our seatbelt, keep our hands and feet to ourselves, turn off our I-Pods, keep quiet, and don't dare touch that "Flight Attendant Call Button" and maybe, just maybe, we won't have the police called on us when we land.

No sir. I beg to differ. Not on MY planes were my crew allowed to have that attitude. In these situations, most flight attendants simply don't realize they're voices carry as well as they do at times. That's all. No superiority complex. I've even been called on the carpet for my own voice carrying. I take offense to your attitude and inferrence.

airtran717

Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:45 pm

We have limited space and most of the flight we are out and about within the cabin. The galley is our little place to relax and sometimes we talk. Sometimes we can be a little louder than intended, but when we chat about whatever the topic is, that's creating a rapport and sense of family that WE need as crew. If you don't feel comfortable and trust the crew you are flying with, you can't work as team. Professionalism and training only goes so far in an emergency. You need all crewmembers functioning as one... even during inflight service... It seems to me that all you needed to do was get up and perhaps approach the crewmember and just suggest that they might lower their voices a little. It's common courtesy both ways. No one has the courtesy or guts to approach people anymore. Instead, they just go for the first manager, supervisor, or leader they can find.

airtran717

Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:53 pm

Flight attendants are people too... most people forget that. We have lives at home. We have troubles just like the rest of you. We are trained professionals and no matter how we are trained, sometimes it leaks through. We are not robots folks. The very graphic and personal details are best left for the crew "debriefing" later at the bar or hotel. I agree it may have been a bit off color, but you can't just shelve your problems everyday any more than we can. Put things and perspective.

FlyboyOz

Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:01 pm

Yes, I agree with you...One of the placements inside the galley for cabin crews on Cathay Pacific, Oasis Hong Kong Air and Singapore Airlines' aircraft. It said "Please do not talk so loudly when the passengers are relaxed (or something)". Haha...it's so funny!

Japan airlines cabin crews are learning to keep quiet without making little noise in front of the passengers. For example, they learn how to close the blind and the curtain softly, do not yell when they are hit by the object or fell down on the floor, do not be frightened of the spiders and cockroaches, etc.

[Edited 2007-07-31 16:08:53]
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

pacifique75

Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:03 pm

Quoting AirTran717 (Reply 24):
The galley is our little place to relax and sometimes we talk. Sometimes we can be a little louder than intended, but when we chat about whatever the topic is, that's creating a rapport and sense of family that WE need as crew. If you don't feel comfortable and trust the crew you are flying with, you can't work as team. Professionalism and training only goes so far in an emergency.

Quoting AirTran717 (Reply 25):
Flight attendants are people too... most people forget that. We have lives at home. We have troubles just like the rest of you. We are trained professionals and no matter how we are trained, sometimes it leaks through. We are not robots folks.

Very well said, AirTran717!!!!!

airbazar

Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:10 pm

Quoting AirTran717 (Reply 25):
Flight attendants are people too... most people forget that. We have lives at home. We have troubles just like the rest of you. We are trained professionals and no matter how we are trained, sometimes it leaks through. We are not robots folks. The very graphic and personal details are best left for the crew "debriefing" later at the bar or hotel. I agree it may have been a bit off color, but you can't just shelve your problems everyday any more than we can. Put things and perspective.

bla, bla, bla. Do it on your own time outside of your work place. And then people wonder why US carriers never even come close to winning any service awards, LOL.

pilotaydin

Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:15 pm

as a pilot i always defend F/As....give us a break we spend our lives up in the air and inside the pressurized lawn dart....if you dont like what's being talked about, dont listen, as long as they werent trash talking their own company, i dont see what the big deal is...

anyways, who gets to decide what appropriate is and what isnt that's a SUPER subjective term and we can debate for years and lightyears...

if you think about it, someone somewhere will always find something inappropriate...
The only time there is too much fuel onboard, is when you're on fire!

kmh1956

Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:28 pm

Quoting Airbazar (Reply 28):
bla, bla, bla. Do it on your own time outside of your work place. And then people wonder why US carriers never even come close to winning any service awards,

So I gather you NEVER have conversations at work unless they're work-related?
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

RussianJet

Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:46 pm

Quoting PAHS200 (Reply 22):
Last time I flew AA, the crew was totally unprofessional. Not only was the flight attendant giggling throughout the entire safety announcement as if it were a joke

it kinda is, no one really cares about anyway

Way to tar everybody with the same brush. I sure care about safety briefings, and I doubt I'm the only one.

Quoting Pilotaydin (Reply 29):
as a pilot i always defend F/As....give us a break we spend our lives up in the air and inside the pressurized lawn dart....if you dont like what's being talked about, dont listen

Sorry, but I can't agree with this attitude. F/As undoubtedly take a serious amount of stick in their jobs, and I admire them for what they have to put up with, and for the fact that most of them are totally professional in their work. But that's the key word - professional. Whilst accepting that most F/As are great and have my undying admiration for that, they're not all perfect and in fact occasionally some are downright awful. This is the case in any industry. It's not acceptable to say that anything goes and if you don't like hearing something then you shouldn't listen. By all means show a human face, engage in chit chat, talk to your colleagues and friends, but do it in an appropriate manner and be professional. To say that you would "always defend" them is to suggest that in fact they are not human and not capable of making errors of judgement or mistakes. We ALL make these on occasion and it's important to know when to recognise them and make amends if needs be.

As for the OP, I'm undecided as to whether what he heard represents unprofessional behaviour. If it was genuinely as loud as he suggests, then regardless of the topic of conversation I would say that any very loud, non work-related chatting emenating from the galley is probably a bit unprofessional. In this particular case I don't think it would have hurt to go and have a quiet word with the individuals concerned at the time, IF it really bothered you that much.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

SBBRTech

Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:53 pm

Was I out of line? I didn't think so at the time, but now I'm having second thoughts. It still seems this was an extremely personal story to be sharing with coworkers on the job, within earshot of 30 or so total strangers.

So the chit-chatting itself wasn´t the problem, what made you uneasy was the subject?
Why shouldn´t they be allowed to talk among themselves, it´s their office space after all.
I always wanted to catch some hot f/a´s in a XXX gossip...never got that lucky though... Big grin
"I'm beginning to get the hang of this flying business" - C3PO

Tarheel

Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:00 am

I've had the same experience several times and it gets under my skin. It's especially annoying in today's atmosphere of extreme security. Today passengers are under "scrutiny" by attendants, undercover armed people disguised as passengers, reduced to bringing you own food or buying overpriced "snacks" while sitting in cramped seats. Is it any wonder we passengers are a bit cranky? I think most attendants are not the least interested in making passengers comfortable and happy--which they used to be required to do-- but are flying to be able to get travel passes.

na747

Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:09 am

This is also known as "Jumpseat Therapy".
Any subject is open to conversation...any subject.

pacifique75

Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:16 am

Quoting NA747 (Reply 34):
Any subject is open to conversation...any subject.

That is so true... Wink

Arcrftlvr

Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:26 am

I think you may have over-reacted a bit. Whenever I fly, I have my iPod turned on so as to drown out any annoying conversation between passenegers, F/As, crying babies, etc.

MD11Engineer

Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:36 am

Another thing I noticed when working in pax handling and also now from close contact with flight crews, even though many passengers will be upset by the thought:
The passengers are an amorphous mass. Ok, from time to time there is a regular customer, some frequent flyer, who flies the same route every few days and becomes a known face, but almost all passengers appear and disappear and except for the few moments at the check in counter or the few hours during flight you'll never see them again in your life. You don't really care about them (except for company policies).
What matters are the people you know at the airport, whom you meet every day, colleagues, fellow crew, etc., especially at a small airport like ours. You'll often meet after work at parties or in the pub. You might even have a personal relationship with some colleague (e.g. boyfriend/girlfriend) from another department (e.g. several of my colleagues have F/A girlfriends), but the passengers just come and go. You'll end up ignoring them again in everything exept company policies.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

Boston92

Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:38 am

Quoting ArcrftLvr (Reply 36):
I think you may have over-reacted a bit. Whenever I fly, I have my iPod turned on so as to drown out any annoying conversation between passenegers, F/As, crying babies, etc.

What if you had no iPod?

If you ask me...you didn't like the subject. Hearing a conversation on how good her sex was last night would honestly be as annoying as any conversation. If you can hear them, than it would be at the same annoyance level regardless of what they were talking about.

They have every right to talk in the galley or while doing a beverage service as long as it does not interfere with their jobs or make other people around them uncomfortable. If there were small children around, than that subject might have been bad enough to go tell the head F/A.

If it actually BOTHERED you, than you had every right to report them, but if you yourself was not personally affected, keep your mouth shut, it wasn't going to change anything for the better.
"Why does a slight tax increase cost you $200 and a substantial tax cut save you 30 cents?"

PExDCA

Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:41 am

Quoting AirTran717 (Reply 24):
The galley is our little place to relax and sometimes we talk.

gal·ley /ˈgæli/ [gal-ee] – noun, plural -leys.
1. a kitchen or an area with kitchen facilities in a ship, plane, or camper.

I don't see anything in that definition that refers to relaxation or conversation. I think you might be confusing a galley with a crew lounge. Perhaps they will cover that in recurrent training.
"A single twig breaks, but the bundle of twigs is strong." - Tecumseh

PAHS200

Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:42 am

Quoting Boston92 (Reply 38):
Hearing a conversation on how good her sex was last night would honestly be as annoying as any conversation.

maybe to you, but 99% of a.net would love to hear that conversation

COA735

Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:46 am

Well.. I think the F/A was so excited with beating cancer, that in a way, she wanted everyone to hear her victory. Think about it.. If I do the impossible, such as beat Mike Tyson in a fight, I'm gonna tell anyone who would listen. I think this was more of an annoyance rather than inappropriate. I'm glad the cancer was beaten though. Not easy to do.

NWADTWFA

Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:55 am

First off I will acknowledge as a crew member I have done this exact behaviour...talking too loud that is not necessarily inappropriate.

Second, please don't lump all crew members into to some category, 'they need to stop bsing and do their job'...bring me my water.

Third, when you get on the plane as a passenger you are not the only one...you are one of maybe 100-300. (Sometimes crew forget things like bringing cups of water to polite customers...sometimes they get asked for so many things that when they go to bring what you politely asked for they can't find you. I can't tell you the number of times I have realized on the next flight that I forgot to get something for someone on the previous flight. Does that make me a bad flight attendant...NO! I take pride in my work and very professional.

I was once non-reving on a DC-10 center seat of five about 6 rows back from door 2 and I could hear all the conversation during boarding. IT WAS LOUD. I knew there was a jumpseating flight attendant. I knew where she lived how many kids she had, how old they were. The one flight attendant shared with the jumpseater that she didn't like one of her crew members. I would have jumped up and said something but I was trapped in the center.

Like someone mentioned, you get the crew in the galley which funnles into the aisle get them talking over the noise of the engines, the noise of the doors, the noise of the ovens add to that the many planes have had our galley curtains taken away and it is surely a set up for loud voices that where never intended to be loud.

Often as a crew member we remind each other when we are getting loud and shush each other.

I am sorry you felt uncomfortable, I have been in that situation. A simple reminder to the lead that you could hear their conversation in the back and that they may want to know that customers can hear them was sufficient. I am sure when she told them they were embarrassed. Qualifying what is appropriate and/or inappropriate was not necessary in my opinion.

My 2 cents.

Cheers,

NWADTWFA

n710ps

Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:16 am

While I aknowladge you survival of a hardship (cancer) I think you should lighten up. They are also human and they need to act it. If you have ever been a crew member you would know exactly what it is like to be cramped in airplanes and airports for well over half of the day. It is hard. We are all human and will act as so. They were in THEIR section of the airplane. Now if they were talking about this as they are doing the drink and snack service I could see an issue. They were in back on their own time as they had done the serivce already I would guess and no one was chimeing for htem.

Quoting Pilotaydin (Reply 29):
as a pilot i always defend F/As....give us a break we spend our lives up in the air and inside the pressurized lawn dart....if you dont like what's being talked about, dont listen, as long as they werent trash talking their own company, i dont see what the big deal is...

anyways, who gets to decide what appropriate is and what isnt that's a SUPER subjective term and we can debate for years and lightyears...

if you think about it, someone somewhere will always find something inappropriate...

checkmark   checkmark   checkmark 

Quoting NWADTWFA (Reply 42):
you are one of maybe 100-300

Or 50 to 70 Big grin
There is plenty of room for Gods animals, right next to the mashed potatoes!

pacifique75

Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:18 am

Quoting NWADTWFA (Reply 42):
'they need to stop bsing and do their job'

NWADTWFA, your post really made me chuckle as it reminded me a pax on my last flight. In a rude/arrogant way he asked me for a glass of water as he went on to add along the lines "disgusting that on a 4-hour flight we only offered drinks once with the meal and yet our inflight magazine recommends you drink plenty of water/juice"! The reality was we did a bar round and then offered again drinks with dinner - I guess that makes 2 drinks rounds, but why bother to tell him that... You, the F/A, cannot win!
We are always the lazy F/A that disappear after the meal service, etc nomatter what. Besides 2 of us had 5min earlier been through the cabin with water, but he didnt notice that because he was sleeping! However, he was very quick to imply we were lazy.

Arcrftlvr

Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:34 am

Quoting PAHS200 (Reply 40):
maybe to you, but 99% of a.net would love to hear that conversation

Depends on what she looks like...

L1011Lover

Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:50 am

Quoting Jhooper (Reply 1):
F/As chit-chat all the time within earshot of customers about a plethora of inappropriate things. Most of them think they have the power of God so they can get away with it. Meanwhile, all we have to do is sit down, put on our seatbelt, keep our hands and feet to ourselves, turn off our I-Pods, keep quiet, and don't dare touch that "Flight Attendant Call Button" and maybe, just maybe, we won't have the police called on us when we land.

This is probably the most inappropropriate comment I´ve heard in a long time!!!

None of us FA´s think that we are God! In fact we´re reminded way too often that we are not! By passengers, by co-workers, by the compay, by the unions... but that´s not the point!

I´m aware of the fact that some FA´s out there love the little authority they have on the plane and take it up to the limit whenever possible and I don´t like that either. However sometimes we simply don´t have another choice... on almost every single flight I´ve worked on in the past 10 years I had to deal and interact with passengers who are trying to bypass onboard regulations in some sort of way... !!! That is what I find even more frustrating and sad... !!! Isn´t that a shame??? And believe me, I don´t exaggerate... but 8 out of 10 flights I have to "use my authority" because otherwise people wouldn´t listen!!!

Why is it that some people think they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, wherever they are??? "Well it´s my right to do it", "Well Sir, your right ends at the point where you break the rules or hinder other passengers on the flight"!!!

Jhooper, have you ever tried it with treating FA´s nicely??? Nice passengers don´t have to sit down and shut up and don´t have to fear that we´ll call for the police on them! In fact I highly appreciate a nice conversation with passengers if they have something interesting to say! And Yes I even invite them to the galley to get a drink or chat a little... Of course I don´t appreciate the grumpy passenger in 24C who pushed that damn FA call button 5 times within an hour to order a drink because he was too lazy to get his fat a** out of his seat to walk three rows to the galley and get the drink himself, but then all of a sudden when we´re trying to set up our carts for the next service he feels the need to come back there and start to exercise in the galley!!!!

So please put things into the right perspective!!!

Okay and now back to the topic itself...

FA´s chat a lot in the galley... so do I! I usually try to keep my voice down and low and talk as softly as possible, especially during a night flight. We are very well aware of the fact that the last 3 rows are usually able to listen to our conversation. Still, it´s on an airplane a public area in a way and some people get excited about certain conversations. Especially a conversation like the one that gave reason for this thread. It´s only human... We´re all human... We eat, drink, sleep... Some of us are happy, some are not... Some people have problems, others don´t... And so are FA´s... we´re human as well and some of us have the need to talk... and sometimes talking to coworker never met before helps more than talking to a relative, family or friends... There´s even a term for it, as we call it "jump-seat therapy"!

I´m pretty sure the FA during her conversation got excited about the fact that she was a breast cancer survivor which I highly understand... sharing her story with the last 10 rows of the cabin however, was surely not done on purpose...

Also, do I find her conversation inappropriate???

NO!!! Not at all!!!

If she would have talked about her sexlife and shared every detail of it I would agree and say yes that was totally inappropriate and out of line. That´s nothing I wanna listen to from a total stranger! However I´m sure some people out there would love to... and not complain a bit about it!!!

So if you don´t wanna listen to a FA telling her coworker about her fight against breastcancer, just listen to some music, move a few rows up ront, use earplugs and if that is all out of possibility and you really feel she´s too loud, go back there and kindly ask her to lower here voice.

If I´d been the lead FA on this flight I´d have handed you a pair of ear plugs suggesting you use them next time you fly!!!

Best regards

L1011Lover

Arcrftlvr

Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:53 am

Quoting PExDCA (Reply 39):
I don't see anything in that definition that refers to relaxation or conversation. I think you might be confusing a galley with a crew lounge. Perhaps they will cover that in recurrent training.

cu·bi·cle /ˈkyubɪkəl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kyoo-bi-kuhl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. a small space or compartment partitioned off.

of·fice /ˈɔfɪs, ˈɒfɪs/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[aw-fis, of-is] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. a room assigned to a specific person or a group of persons in a commercial or industrial organization:

To your point, I don't see anything in the above-captioned definition that refers to relaxation or conversation either. Hopefully when you have a non-work related discussion at your office or cubicle, they will cover that in recurrent training, as well. Hopefully you are not confusing your office or cublice for a break room...

airbazar

Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:55 am

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 30):
So I gather you NEVER have conversations at work unless they're work-related?

I don't work in front of the customers so that doesn't apply to me. You're missing th epoint entirely. You can cit-chat all you want just don't do it in front of your customers. The fact that people actually think it is appropriate sort of sums up the state of the industry in this country. I don't see this sort of behaviour when I travel on European and Asian carriers. Besides, it's any conversation that shoudl be kept away from the passenger, not just non work related. On a recent flight on AA from MIA to BOS the gate agent placed a lap child in an exit row. To make matters worse, they closed the doors before the problem could be resolved. The flight was delayed by an hour trying to resolve this problem I was sitting in the last row and had to spend the entire flight listening to the FA's insulting the entire MIA ground crew well within earshot of the last 3-4 rows on the plane. This was a flight that got into BOS around 1am. So not only did I have to put up with all the yapping from the FA's at that time of the day, but I was also subjected to to listed to them insult their own co-workers. This was some of the most unprofessional behaviour I have ever witnessed. Apparently you and I have very different ideas of what is appropriate for an FA to do in front of the customers. Just don't expect the rest of the non-Union flying public to have any sympathy for you next time you want a pay raise.

n710ps

Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:10 am

I think the botom line comes down to that EVERYONE is human. Some people are on this site to complain, bicker, trash talk, yap, moan and never be productive, informative, constructive etc etc etc...... They think THEY are god and therefore when someone acts human the critic in them comes out. Well next time those people do not shit roses they will be reminded of just how human they are compared next to us lowly airline employees. It frustrates me that people sometimes not even in the business or with their only understanding of the business comeing from a.net get on here and say this or that and critisize the world of aviation. Well untill you have worked on a flight deck, in a cabin, at a gate, at a counter, on a ramp, in a tower or otherwise my personal opinion is sit down, shut up, put you seatbelt on, do not be rude to my flight attnedants, accept that they are there strictly for your safety and nothing more though as an added service you get drinks and a small bag of snack mix and get on with you life., If you have to insult and critisize us for being humans you must not have alot going on that is intresting in your life.

END OF RANT
There is plenty of room for Gods animals, right next to the mashed potatoes!

Arcrftlvr

Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:33 am

Quoting N710PS (Reply 51):
do not be rude to my flight attnedants,

As long as they are not rude to me, all is well.