ShootTheMoon
Topic Author

America West 757 Engine Shutdown Over The Pacific!

Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:49 am

Was just checking the Honolulu Advertiser and noticed that they posted an article about a 757 shutting down an engine in route to the islands and was diverted to Hilo. Does anyone have further information on this incident? Must have been scary for the pilots.

"An America West Boeing 757 flight from Las Vegas to Honolulu was diverted to Hilo this weekend when one of its two engines shut down after experiencing vibrations.

The flight landed in Hilo at 8:51 p.m. without incident, Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Ian Gregor said. The FAA is investigating the incident, Gregor said.

"Manufacturers have shown that their aircraft can fly long distances on one engine," Gregor said. "That's why we let them do it."

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...e/2007/Jul/30/br/br9326054817.html

[Edited 2007-07-31 01:12:38]

socal

RE: America West 757 Loses Engine Over The Pacific!

Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:55 am

You mean a US Airways 757 right...???
I Love HNL.............

dutchjet

Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:55 am

Quoting ShootTheMoon (Thread starter):
Was just checking the Honolulu Advertiser and noticed that they posted an article about a 757 losing an engine in route to KLAS and was diverted to Hilo. Does anyone have further information on this incident? Must have been scary for the pilots

The 757 was travelling, per the article, from LAS to HNL (not enroute to LAS)....the 757 did not ""lose"" an engine (it did not explode or fall off, etc), one engine was shut down by the pilots due to vibrations. The airplane landed at Hilo since it was the first airport available. Engine shutdowns, especially over water, are not a good thing, but airplanes are designed and powered to accommodate such situations. And, that is why ETOPS rules exist.

dutchjet

Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:56 am

Quoting Socal (Reply 1):
You mean a US Airways 757 right...???

HP/US sill operates on two seperate certificates.

starguy

Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:57 am

Quoting Dutchjet (Reply 2):
The 757 was travelling, per the article, from LAS to HNL (not enroute to LAS)....the 757 did not ""lose"" an engine (it did not explode or fall off, etc), one engine was shut down by the pilots due to vibrations.

LOL! I was going to say. My first response was OMG! But then I realised that it didn't actually fall off.

ShootTheMoon
Topic Author

Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:11 am

""lose"" an engine (it did not explode or fall off, etc), one engine was shut down by the pilots due to vibrations.

I shall change the title of the post.

LHRBlueSkies

RE: America West 757 Engine Shutdown Over The Pacific!

Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:15 am

the 757 did not ""lose"" an engine (it did not explode or fall off, etc), one engine was shut down by the pilots due to vibrations.

Bit picky - don't think many would actually think..."ooh, wow, an engine fell into the Pacific!" More..."Hmm, engine shutdown, interesting!"

Still - not what you need at the best of times...
flying is the safest form of transport - until humans get involved!

AlexPorter

Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:23 am

I wonder how far out from the islands they were... i.e. how long after the engine shutdown it took for them to fly to Hilo. Does anyone know the flight number?

Quoting Dutchjet (Reply 3):
HP/US sill operates on two seperate certificates.

Let's not split hairs here. It's an America West flight in terms of the operating certificate, but it's a US Airways flight in terms of marketing. It's just like arguing over whether a flight is a Mesa flight or a United Express flight. Same thing, different definitions.
Last Flight: SCX701 MSP-PHX B738 8Jan2008

HPLASOps

Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:24 am

An America West Boeing 757 flight from Las Vegas to Honolulu

Author needs to check his facts. HP doesn't have a LAS-HNL flight. There's LAS-OGG or PHX-HNL, but no LAS-HNL.
"Just because I know how to get off a freeway doesn't mean I know how to get back on!" - Retard Joe

dutchjet

Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:29 am

Quoting ShootTheMoon (Reply 5):
I shall change the title of the post.

Cool.

Quoting LHRBlueSkies (Reply 6):
Bit picky - don't think many would actually think..."ooh, wow, an engine fell into the Pacific!"

Really? How about this:

Quoting StarGuy (Reply 4):

LOL! I was going to say. My first response was OMG! But then I realised that it didn't actually fall off.

An engine shutdown due to virbrations is a very different thing than "losing an engine" - especially for the crew and pax on the subject aircraft. The OP correctly changed the title of the post.

Quoting AlexPorter (Reply 7):
Let's not split hairs here

Is it splitting hairs? HP and US are technically still operating as two different airlines.......the subject flight was an America West and not a US Airways flight.

ikramerica

Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:34 am

Does anyone have further information on this incident? Must have been scary for the pilots.

If it was scary for the pilots, then they shouldn't be pilots.

It's not a huge deal to shut down an engine on an ETOPS aircraft. Obviously, it's a little more nerve racking, since there is the very, very, very remote possibility that the other engine could fail. But not scary.

I was on an engine shutdown on a DL 757, and the pilots said they would have liked to just continue on to LAX but were not allowed to pass up LAS since we were close to it. Considering the ensuing delays at LAS, I'd have much rather they flew on to LAX too...  Wink
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

socal

Just because they operate on two diffrent cert's, still it's US Airways.
I Love HNL.............

JoeAirbus

I know that there are no LAS flights on HP that go to HNL and that some of the above statement is not correct. I will find out more info. 906AW is the equipment in question

JoeAirbus

Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:38 am

Check that last 1,908AW is in ITO awaiting a replacement for the #1 eng.

Viscount724

Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:45 am

Quoting Socal (Reply 11):

Legally they're still 2 separate companies until their operating certificates are merged. If you book a US flight e.g. PHX-HNL it shows "Operated by America West Airlines", as with any other codeshare operation.

socal

Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:50 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 14):
If you book a US flight e.g. PHX-HNL it shows "Operated by America West Airlines", as with any other codeshare operation.

Yea on US Airways website, since there is NO America West Airlines website.
I Love HNL.............

dutchjet

Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:56 am

Quoting Socal (Reply 15):

Whether or not America West still maintains a website is conclusive of..........nothing. Legally, America West still remains a seperate airline from US until US and HP merge their operating certificates.

Legally they're still 2 separate companies until their operating certificates are merged. If you book a US flight e.g. PHX-HNL it shows "Operated by America West Airlines", as with any other codeshare operation

Exactly.

socal

Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:16 am

Quoting Dutchjet (Reply 16):
Whether or not America West still maintains a website is conclusive of..........nothing. Legally, America West still remains a seperate airline from US until US and HP merge their operating certificates.

Any NORMAL person will understand that America West merged with US Airways, it say's so in it's website. All that matters it's that US Airways runs the SHOW. Your 2 cert explanation is conclusive of..........nothing, since US Airways is responsible for everything........
I Love HNL.............

Viscount724

Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:29 am

Quoting Socal (Reply 15):
If you book a US flight e.g. PHX-HNL it shows "Operated by America West Airlines", as with any other codeshare operation.

Yes, from a marketing point of view they have merged, but until the certificates are merged, flights on former HP routes are still being operated by former HP aircraft and crews and vice versa for former US routes. I agree that the average passenger doesn't care bout this but behind the scenes they are still two legal entities with separate union contracts etc. etc. It's the same with all airline mergers. It usually takes quite a while before all those issues are resolved and they can integrate everything, although they do their best to look like one company to their customers.

ua2162

Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:36 am

I was working at KOA when we got a call from HNL asking us if we could send someone over to help (AQ Contract Services).

Quoting AlexPorter (Reply 7):
I wonder how far out from the islands they were... i.e. how long after the engine shutdown it took for them to fly to Hilo. Does anyone know the flight number?

It was US22 (PHX-HNL). They were about 2 hours from ITO when they pilot shut down the engine due to vibrations.

Quoting JoeAirbus (Reply 13):
Check that last 1,908AW is in ITO awaiting a replacement for the #1 eng.

It is indeed 908 - the same plane that had to come back to KOA about six months ago - after the pilot had to shut down the engine for a similiar reason. Too scary.

AlexPorter

Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:38 am

Did any of you people get my point? My point is that you're all correct. It's America West. It's US Airways. It depends who you ask. The government will say it's America West, as will Air Traffic Control, and so forth. The passengers and the airline itself will say it's US Airways. That's because the definition varies for marketing purposes.

Just as I said before: A certain flight can be both Mesa Airlines and United Express. Same goes for, say, Expressjet and Continental Express. And, of course, the same goes for America West and US Airways. In fact, here is a photo of the aircraft in question:
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Dave Budd - Las Vegas Spotters

What does that say on the side of the plane? It says US Airways. But, if you were to look up the flight in question on Flightaware, it would say America West. This is such a pointless discussion. Why does this happen any time something happens on an HP-coded flight? Christ.

Anyway, does anyone know what the flight number was? I actually can't find it on flightaware, probably because it's not operated everyday, and it's been more than 24 hours.
Last Flight: SCX701 MSP-PHX B738 8Jan2008

ua2162

Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:49 am

Quoting AlexPorter (Reply 20):
Anyway, does anyone know what the flight number was? I actually can't find it on flightaware, probably because it's not operated everyday, and it's been more than 24 hours.

It was 22 (PHX-HNL)

socal

Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:51 am

Thanks for the pic....AlexPorter
I Love HNL.............

LAXspotter

Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:08 am

Engine shutdowns, especially over water, are not a good thing, but airplanes are designed and powered to accommodate such situations. And, that is why ETOPS rules exist

Not a big deal, at all, not life threatening.

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 10):
If it was scary for the pilots, then they shouldn't be pilots.

Precisely, there is standard procedure for dealing with this stuff as mentioned it is extremely rare for the aircraft to "lose" both engines. That is why they have ETOPS.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

itsnotfinals

Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:12 am

Quoting Socal (Reply 17):
US Airways runs the SHOW.

NO, they are gone (except for the memory of a piss poor airline management of Rangesh Gangwal (Now CEO of Indigo airlines in India) and Steven Wolf. The 2 of them ruined US and no one could fix it until HP bought them out.

HP bought out US Airways, HP chose to keep the name US Airways and the headquarters is now in HP's home town of Tempe, Az.

HP runs HP and US Operating certificates

[Edited 2007-07-31 03:38:09]
Speedbird 178 Heavy, FINAL runway 27L

rb211tristar

Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:22 am

Man, you guys like to argue the most meaningless stuff and then go in circles like you're in the pattern!  Yeah sure Funny part is... every one of you knew the engine didn't "fall off", and you knew that HP was US. So why beat it into the ground?!

Here's a technical question I'd like to know the answer to...
What engines does US run on their 757's. P&W? Seeing how this is the 2nd incident of this engine type (forgetting it was the same ship), is that anomaly rate consistent with that power plant's reliability numbers?

itsnotfinals

Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:24 am

Quoting RB211TriStar (Reply 25):
Here's a technical question I'd like to know the answer to...
What engines does US run on their 757's. P&W? Seeing how this is the 2nd incident of this engine type (forgetting it was the same ship), is that anomaly rate consistent with that power plant's reliability numbers?

Rolls Royce RB211'

Quoting JoeAirbus (Reply 12):
906AW is the equipment in question

908AW is in ITO

Not sure which one it actally was but they both have RB211's

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinqu...=906AW&cmndfind.x=15&cmndfind.y=12

Serial Number 23568 Type Registration Corporation
Manufacturer Name BOEING Certificate Issue Date 06/25/1986
Model 757-2S7

Engine Manufacturer ROLLS-ROYC Classification None
Engine Model RB.211 SERIES
A/W Date None

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinqu...=908AW&cmndfind.x=19&cmndfind.y=18

Serial Number 24233 Type Registration Corporation
Manufacturer Name BOEING

Engine Manufacturer ROLLS-ROYC Classification Standard
Engine Model RB.211 SERIES Category Transport

[Edited 2007-07-31 03:30:46]

acvitale

Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:53 am

If this is in fact the same aircraft twice in six months that is a little concerning.

More importantly would be how many in flight engine shut-downs have occurred in a finite time span. If too many they could lose ETOPS authority and then would NOT be able to operate from the mainland to Hawaii.

travatl

Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:13 am

Quoting RB211TriStar (Reply 25):
Man, you guys like to argue the most meaningless stuff and then go in circles like you're in the pattern!

Damn skippy - that's the M.O. at Airliners.net these days - and one of the primary reasons I spend less and less time posting here.

As for the TOPIC - kudos to ETOPS and the crew.

tcfc424

Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:59 am

I understand that it is splitting hairs whether it is HP/US, however, for our purposes and for the purpose of this post, isn't it important? If the flight is operated on HP's certificate, that would mean that it is on HP equipment. Is there a difference between HP and US 757's? That could have been the point that was lost in translation.

For Example, CO Express now I believe also includes some flights operated by Skywest...wouldn't an incident involving a Skywest ERJ be different than an incident on an XJet ERJ? Just food for thought. Glad everything turned out okay...hopefully they will correct the problem for good this time and get that 75 back in the air soon!

Mike S. in AUS

Tornado82

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:15 pm

Quoting ACVitale (Reply 27):
If too many they could lose ETOPS authority and then would NOT be able to operate from the mainland to Hawaii.

And this would be a good reason to keep the certificates separate, as losing ETOPS authority would definitely impact the PHL-Europe flights as well if they were on one certificate.

travatl

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:18 pm

Quoting Tcfc424 (Reply 29):
I understand that it is splitting hairs whether it is HP/US, however, for our purposes and for the purpose of this post, isn't it important?

Uh, no. This is AIRLINERS.NET, we all know who the aircraft belongs to. Just more triviality to be argued below the meaningless point it is.

itsnotfinals

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:22 pm

Quoting Travatl (Reply 31):
we all know who the aircraft belongs to. Just more triviality to be argued below the meaningless point it is.

Not really, many people here do not know that so they come here to learn.

Tornado82

RE: America West 757 Engine Shutdown Over The Paci

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:23 pm

For Example, CO Express now I believe also includes some flights operated by Skywest...wouldn't an incident involving a Skywest ERJ be different than an incident on an XJet ERJ?

Actually no. CO Express includes flights run by Chautauqua, and Skywest doesn't own an ERJ in the whole fleet.

For the other point, the flying public in your case would be flying "Continental" and not know nor care about the difference of who was operating the RJ. They paid Continental, likely checked in on Continental.com, and that's all they know about the flight.

In the case of the HP incident though the flying public in the PHX area probably still knows them more as America West than as USAirways, and despite whatever name was on the plane the public perception will be of that conglomeration of airline.

[Edited 2007-07-31 05:28:14]

OPNLguy

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:25 pm

If this is in fact the same aircraft twice in six months that is a little concerning.

If it was the same engine, maybe. Unlike automobiles (where the same engine is usually mated to the same car during its entire lifespan), aircraft engines get changed around. If an engine has a major problem or is scheduled for a change, they remove the engine. Rather than keep the aircraft out of service waiting for the engine to be repaired/overhauled, they hang a spare engine on the bird and get it back in service ASAP.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

travatl

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:38 pm

Quoting Itsnotfinals (Reply 32):
Not really, many people here do not know that so they come here to learn.

Seriously? This is an argument? One clarification post is all it would take. I'm referring to the incessant, needless, ongoing, trivial, immature arguments (much like this one I'm posting now) that go on and on and on over worthless topics.

Does anybody have the link for airliners.net/notfordummies? This used to be a great site, now it's nothing but

"I hate the new DL scheme"

"AirTran sucks if they buy Midwest"

WesternA318

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:40 pm

Legally they're still 2 separate companies until their operating certificates are merged. If you book a US flight e.g. PHX-HNL it shows "Operated by America West Airlines", as with any other codeshare operation.

The side of the plane says US AIrways...case closed
Check out my blog at fl310travel.blogspot.com!

HPRamper

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:42 pm

What was this thread about again?

itsnotfinals

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:45 pm

Quoting Travatl (Reply 35):
Seriously? This is an argument? One clarification post is all it would take. I'm referring to the incessant, needless, ongoing, trivial, immature arguments (much like this one I'm posting now) that go on and on and on over worthless topics.

I agree with you, total crap many times, people posting "I heard this, or I think that" If people would do a Google search they would just know and not have to post this kind of stuff.

PPRUNE.com is the "not for dummies site"

Although there are plenty of smart people on Anet posting also, epecially in Tech Ops

[Edited 2007-07-31 05:47:39]

LAXintl

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:54 pm

until their operating certificates are merged

Quoting Dutchjet (Reply 16):
until US and HP merge their operating certificates.

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 18):
but until the certificates are merged

Which will be soon. Sept 27th to be exact.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Flighty

Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:04 pm

"Losing an engine" is perfectly acceptable aviation jargon that means "engine shutdown."

Even seven year old girls know what "losing an engine" means. If you don't, there is something wrong with you. Or, English is not your first language. One or the other.

This was an America West flight. Just like their Dash-8 flights are Piedmont Airlines flights. Operationally, it does not matter if the corporate owner is US Airways or the King of Siam. The air carrier involved here is America West, callsign "cactus."

Flighty

Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:10 pm

Quoting WesternA318 (Reply 36):

Not in all cases.

Anyway, I am glad they made it to Hilo. Personally, I would not enjoy the experience. It was probably a rather lengthy ride with one motor, since it is 2,000 miles of PURE BLUE OCEAN out there. Yikes.

Flighty

Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:14 pm

Is there a difference between HP and US 757's? That could have been the point that was lost in translation.

Sure there is. HP has some really old 757s doing ETOPS Hawaii runs (1984 or so?), while US East only uses quite new 1996-2000 build 757s for their ETOPS. It's definitely something to consider when you're looking down at that ocean with one burner left.

iFLYjets

Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:19 pm

what date this this actually happen? my best friend was working flight 22 on the 28th.

itsnotfinals

Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:20 pm

Quoting Flighty (Reply 40):
The air carrier involved here is America West, callsign "cactus."

US will be call sign cactus also, after the operating certificates merge

Quoting Flighty (Reply 42):
Sure there is. HP has some really old 757s doing ETOPS Hawaii runs (1984 or so?),

1989 for the aircraft involved

N908AW

Aircraft Description

Serial Number 24233 Type Registration Corporation
Manufacturer Name BOEING Certificate Issue Date 09/27/2005
Model 757-2G7 Status Valid
Type Aircraft Fixed Wing Multi-Engine Type Engine Turbo-Jet
Pending Number Change None Dealer No
Date Change Authorized None Mode S Code 53106371
MFR Year 1989 Fractional Owner NO

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Registered Owner

Name WELLS FARGO BANK NORTHWEST NA TRUSTEE
Street 299 S MAIN ST FL 12 MAC U1228-120
City SALT LAKE CITY State UTAH Zip Code 84111
County SALT LAKE
Country UNITED STATES

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Airworthiness

Engine Manufacturer ROLLS-ROYC Classification Standard
Engine Model RB.211 SERIES Category Transport

A/W Date 08/25/1989

OPNLguy

Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:25 pm

Quoting Flighty (Reply 41):
It was probably a rather lengthy ride with one motor, since it is 2,000 miles of PURE BLUE OCEAN out there. Yikes.

Assuming they were LAS-OGG, that's about 2,600 miles, about 2,400 of which are overwater. If they lost the engine at the mid-point, that's about 1,200 miles from an airport, and probably less distance to LAX with an equal-time point (ETP).

Bottomline, not a huge drama, and within the ETOPS capability of the aircraft...

Anyone know where they were when they shut it down?
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

wukka

Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:39 pm

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 34):

If it was the same engine, maybe.

Personally, I'd be more comfortable knowing that it's the same engine... now it's time for the mechs to pull that thing off the wing and break it down for a total rebuild.

If it's a different engine altogether, it might be pointing at something to do with the frame in general, which leaves the potential open to pull most of the other systems apart to find out why it's burning up engines.

I'd rather see the engine get a full workover and beat into the ground than the whole airframe.

The biggest question is "is it the same engine that caused trouble before"?
We can agree to disagree.

OPNLguy

Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:12 pm

Quoting Wukka (Reply 46):
now it's time for the mechs to pull that thing off the wing and break it down for a total rebuild.

Yep..

908AW is in ITO awaiting a replacement for the #1 eng.

I presume they're flying in the replacement engine, and the failed one will leave the same way...

AirframeAS

Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:15 pm

Quoting Socal (Reply 11):

Social, until the two certs merge, its still an HP operated flight with HP crews wearing HP uniforms with HP interiors using HP metal.... need I say more?

Quoting WesternA318 (Reply 36):

Obviously, you have not seen what the decal next to the right of the L2 door says under the heritage logo....  sarcastic  It Reads "Operated by America West Airlines"

Why is this so god darn difficult to understand? Certs merge, as indicated previously on Sept 27th.

Now, as for the thread.......

Must have been scary for the pilots.

They are trained not to get scared. I doubt they freaked out or anything. Being a 121 pilot, one has been trained on what to do in these kinds of situations. Kudos to them for keeping their cool, like they are trained to do!
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

Jetfixr757

Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:18 pm

No doubt that's an engine change, Rolls engines are not good with vibration or engine compressor stalls, however you know the true meaning of ETOPS??
Extended Twin OPerationS
or
Engines
Turn
Or
People
Swim
funny but not funny.
Jet