SA7700
Topic Author

Connecting On CO At Houston Intercontinental

Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:59 pm

I am currently finalizing a USA / Canada itinerary for mid-November until the start of December. Two specific sectors of the itinerary include an inbound flight (CO1059) from DCA-IAH, with an arrival time of 16h11 (04:11pm) at IAH, connecting onto CO667 to ANC at 17h30 (05:30pm).

For those of you who travel on a regular basis on CO through IAH, or have any experience thereof, would you consider this an appropriate amount of connection time at IAH for that time of year? Your comments will be much appreciated.

Rgds

SA7700
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

Longhornmaniac

RE: Connecting On CO At Houston Intercontinental

Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:08 pm

Quoting SA7700 (Thread starter):
I am currently finalizing a USA / Canada itinerary for mid-November until the start of December. Two specific sectors of the itinerary include an inbound flight (CO1059) from DCA-IAH, with an arrival time of 16h11 (04:11pm) at IAH, connecting onto CO667 to ANC at 17h30 (05:30pm).

For those of you who travel on a regular basis on CO through IAH, or have any experience thereof, would you consider this an appropriate amount of connection time at IAH for that time of year? Your comments will be much appreciated.

Hello,

1.3 hours in IAH ought to be PLENTY. You will probably be going into C or E, and your departing flight will leave from the same two terminals. It would require 30 minutes at the most (could be done in 10 if you haul it), so you should be good to go!

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

AA737-823

Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:25 pm

You'll be fine.
I regularly connect to that Anchorage flight, coming on from Dallas-Love, on one hour or less... you'll do fine.
I have NEVER mis-connected at IAH... even on a 31 minute layover.

Just tear the airport diagram out of the inflight magazine, get your gate number immediately after you get off the airplane, and make for the train.

Come to think of it, you might not need the train...

OldProfessor

Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:36 pm

You won't need the train unless your leg from DCA to IAH is a Continental Express flight operated by ExpressJet Airlines. Right now I believe they only run one leg a day on COEX and it will arrive at the B concourse which is connected to C and E by train or bus.

Otherwise I would just walk it from C to E or vice versa - the train does not really save you much time between C and E, only effort (and you risk getting lost or worse yet having it break down on you)

DEFFINITELY watch out for crazy passenger cart drivers, they will run you over!!! But you might be able to catch a ride to your gate from one =)

SHUPirate1

Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:56 pm

You'll be totally fine.

Quoting OldProfessor (Reply 3):
DEFFINITELY watch out for crazy passenger cart drivers

Amen, brother...I almost got plowed by one of them yesterday connecting off a redeye (I was half-asleep)...
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

SA7700
Topic Author

Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:39 pm

Quoting OldProfessor (Reply 3):
You won't need the train unless your leg from DCA to IAH is a Continental Express flight operated by ExpressJet Airlines.

Luckily it is a mainline flight.  Smile

Quoting Longhornmaniac (Reply 1):
You will probably be going into C or E, and your departing flight will leave from the same two terminals.

It seems as if both flights will operate to-and from Terminal C.  Big grin

Thanks for all the input thus far guys. Once again the credibility of "valued opinions" on Skytrax are put to shame.

Keep well

SA7700
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

IAHFLYR

Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:39 pm

Quoting AA737-823 (Reply 2):
Just tear the airport diagram out of the inflight magazine, get your gate number immediately after you get off the airplane, and make for the train.

Come to think of it, you might not need the train...

You shouldn't need the train at all, but take a look at the airport diagram on the CO website or the Houston Airport System site.

You will have plenty of time unless the DCA flight is late......almost every DCA-IAH flight arrives at C24 on the northside of the terminal, that is pretty much a given.

The ANC departure is much more of a guessing game, could depart from C or E. Caution, don't be lead down the road of "it departed from C yesterday" thinking as that changes quite often, unlike the DCA arrival which as said earlier is almost always at C24, that has been pretty much a predictable thing for a long time now.

Enjoy our hometown airline and airport.  Smile
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

khelmDTW

Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:51 pm

While on layover, if you're hungry, try the Panda Express or that Burrito place next to it for some food. They should be in the food court, Good food, not bad prices and that held me over on two connections at iah. (Just don't go to the Taco Bell, they don't use gloves)

vomit 
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration"

IAHFLYR

Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:08 pm

Quoting KhelmDTW (Reply 7):
While on layover, if you're hungry, try the Panda Express or that Burrito place next to it for some food. They should be in the food court, Good food, not bad prices and that held me over on two connections at iah.

Yuk.....why not suggest a nicer spot than the food court....something like Harlon's BBQ or in Terminal E the FOX Sports Sky Box, Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen or Pappasito's Cantina!
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

CoolGuy

Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:10 pm

I'm going to transfer in IAH too, for the first time (CO to CO). I have appx 2 hours. Anything sightseeing I can do in or around the airport during that time? First time in Texas too. I'm very excited!

Lumberton

Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:26 pm

Quoting SHUPirate1 (Reply 4):
You'll be totally fine.

checkmark 
I've been disappointed at many airports (PHL, LAX), but IAH certainly isn't one of them. As others have noted, unless you're seriously delayed inbound, you shouldn't have any trouble at all.
"When all is said and done, more will be said than done".

ikramerica

Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:55 pm

Quoting CoolGuy (Reply 9):
. Anything sightseeing I can do in or around the airport during that time? First time in Texas too. I'm very excited!

Take the train to terminal B, then take the transfer bus back to C. You get a birds eye view on the train, and can hang out in the station area and watch the planes, then you get a worms eye view from the bus, dodging in and out of the tarmac space. All the while you remain inside security.

Due to the layout, there aren't too many great places for watching operations, but in terminal D you can see a couple arrivals ruways, one of which is used occasionally for take offs of Europe bound widebodies.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

IAHFLYR

Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:20 am

First time in Texas too

A warm welcome to Texas when you arrive.  Smile

I have appx 2 hours

Watch your time however, CO boards normally 35 minutes prior to departure unless a wide-body or some of the B75's which would board a bit earlier.

If you go out of the secure area you shouldn't have much problem getting back through as the lines normally go pretty quick......and you can use Terminal C, or go up to the next floor above the ticket counter/security level, head toward Terminal E and find a little used security checkpoint which dumps you into Terminal E around the President's Club around E12 if my memory serves me correctly. Another place is Terminal B to go through security then take the above ground tram to C or D/E. Best to stay away from Terminal A, unless you are on Colgan which will be in Terminal A as a CO Connection.

Enjoy.

chase

Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:22 am

Quoting IAHFLYR (Reply 8):
Yuk.....why not suggest a nicer spot than the food court

Absolutely agree...while there's nothing wrong with Panda Express per se, it's like the McDonald's of Chinese food. Texas has some amazing food to share with its visitors - there's no need to go there unless you're in a huge hurry or have never eaten Chinese food before. And I'm guessing neither will apply to the OP.

CoolGuy

Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:52 am

I'm going to see if I can extend my transfer time to 7 hours and take a quick look at the city. I hope I can get that flight! I'm going to try to use Continental's 'same day confirmed travel' policy.

Potential problem though. I am going CO PHX-IAH-LGA. First flight lands at 11:40. Second flight departs at 13:25. The flight I'd like to take departs at 18:55. The same day travel policy only works three hours prior to departure of the new flight I'd like to take. However, because this is a connecting flight, I might be able to try to change it three hours prior to the PHX departure. Not sure. I just want to see Houston!

SA7700
Topic Author

Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:04 am

Quoting CoolGuy (Reply 14):
I'm going to see if I can extend my transfer time to 7 hours and take a quick look at the city. I hope I can get that flight! I'm going to try to use Continental's 'same day confirmed travel' policy.

I was also thinking about "extending" the transfer time to almost 3 hours... Then again I'm arriving in WAS after an 18h45min flight on SA207 from JNB via DKR. I will take my chances with the shorter transfer time.

Rgds

SA7700

co777er

Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:45 am

If you're leaving Terminal E, go by Pappasitos! They have the best tex/mex! (and no, I'm not receiving a raise for saying this  Wink )

SA7700
Topic Author

Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:24 am

Quoting CO777ER (Reply 16):
If you're leaving Terminal E, go by Pappasitos! They have the best tex/mex! (and no, I'm not receiving a raise for saying this

Thanks, I will keep that in mind  Smile

Rgds

SA7700

CM767

Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:33 am

Quoting IAHFLYR (Reply 8):
Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen

I highly recommend eating there.  Smile
But The Best Thing God Has Created Is A New Day

CoolGuy

Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:54 am

How much transfer time would I need in order to take a very quick trip into the city. Just so I can say I've been there.

ti717

Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:00 am

Quoting CoolGuy (Reply 19):
How much transfer time would I need in order to take a very quick trip into the city. Just so I can say I've been there.

2 days Big grin, Unlike other cities (DC, NYC) the stuff to see is not close to each other.
Sir, don't you think we should turn on the runway lights?" "No, that's just what there expecting us to do!"

sllevin

Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:02 am

While it always SEEMS to take forever, I've timed myself a couple of times going from one of the end C gates over to the B gates (i.e., on the tram), and it never took more than 20 minutes from the door of the plane opening to me standing at the B gate. If I was sitting up front, it was more like 14 minutes.

Steve

ShannoninAMA

Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:07 am

I cant really help you here, as my views would be very biased since they threw my connection in the DUNGEON (Downstairs terminal B)  Wink And every time (4x) i connected in IAH, ive been in the dungeon  Wink So i cant really offer any views on the other terminals!  Smile

Btw, the rest of IAH is awesome, youll have fun connecting  Smile
Shipwreck alert. Head on over to Airspaceonline.com.

boeing743

Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:34 am

I used to live in Houston for 2 yrs and I flew out of IAH few time. I recently visited houston since I moved back to my home state Indiana. I always find that IAH is so easy to make connection. Most of CO using terminal E and some use C. So bascially you will have no problem make connection at IAH.

If you want to explorer houston that is good but beware of traffic at Houston is killed. Sometimes it would take forever to get one place to another place. From IAH to downtown houston can take about 30 to 45 mins one way. So Makre sure you have enough time to explore houston with time to check in for your flight to ANC.

ikramerica

Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:51 am

Quoting CoolGuy (Reply 14):
I'm going to see if I can extend my transfer time to 7 hours and take a quick look at the city.

Prepare to be disappointed. The city (downtown) isn't all that interesting. You'd also need to rent a car (really expensive with the stupid taxes they apply at IAH) and fight traffic.

Quoting CoolGuy (Reply 19):

IAH is "in the city" so just landing there, you've been there. Most of the stuff to see is quite spread out around the area.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

IAHFLYR

Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:27 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 24):
IAH is "in the city" so just landing there, you've been there

IAH is in Humble not "in the city"! Heck it is even outside the Beltway let alone the Loop but it is just inside FM1960!  Smile

You'd also need to rent a car (really expensive with the stupid taxes they apply at IAH)

Very true, gotta love those taxes at IAH and DFW.

Quoting Ti717 (Reply 20):
2 days , Unlike other cities (DC, NYC) the stuff to see is not close to each other.

The metro area is around 90 miles X 90 miles......south of town past HOU and EFD on I-45, The Johnson Space Center visit Space Center Houston, a great place to visit if you do have 7 hours and have any interest in NASA, be alert though for crazed astronaut girlfriends chasing you around!  biggrin  It will take around an hour to an hour & 15 min mid day to get there from IAH.

WesternA318

Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:53 am

I think you can get ANYWHERE in IAH in that amount of time, with some time left over to chill.
Check out my blog at fl310travel.blogspot.com!

COIAHLGW

Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:47 am

IAH is in the City of Houston. It was annexed. The keymap shows the City of Houston boundary lines that are separate from Humble  Smile

nwafflyer

Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:56 am

The only connection issue at all is if you arrive at terminal A or B, and then need to connect to a flight from C D or E. Even then, if you use the bus service, you should be fine. If I come into terminal A at Gate A12, and need to fly out of C23, or E6, I can do the transit in 1/2 hour, and that's assuming slow bus time. Remember though, use the bus, don't go outside of security - lines at terminal C can be awful

Airplanelover

Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:46 am

Houston is really easy to connect through. I recently did a trip back in June on Continental, although my connection was much shorter (31 minutes). I was really worried about it but everything worked great. With over an hour you'll be fine. You'll either be in terminals C or E and they were both real easy to get around - nice airport.. Have a good trip.

ANCFlyer

Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:57 am

Sorry, rather late to the thread, I've been traveling.

Experience dictates, if you're on time into IAH, no problem at all with the transit time. . . .

Remember two beers when you get to Alaska:
Alaskan Amber
Kassicks Blonde Ale

biggrin  drunk 

Give a call, you should have my cellular . . . if not, PM me.

Pep
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

102IAHexpress

Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:06 pm

Prepare to be disappointed. The city (downtown) isn't all that interesting.

?
Minute Maid Park, Toyota Center, Wortham Center, Alley Theatre, Hobby Center, Verizon Wireless Theatre, Jones Hall, Downtown Aquarium, Macy’s, The Shops in Houston Center, 6 miles of climate controlled subterranean tunnels, night life, notable architecture, etc…

co777er

Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:33 pm

Quoting 102IAHexpress (Reply 31):
Minute Maid Park, Toyota Center, Wortham Center, Alley Theatre, Hobby Center, Verizon Wireless Theatre, Jones Hall, Downtown Aquarium, Macy’s, The Shops in Houston Center, 6 miles of climate controlled subterranean tunnels, night life, notable architecture, etc…

Don't forget the Museum District, River Oaks (if you want to see some HUGE houses) etc. and its only about 15 mins from downtown.

brons2

Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:43 pm

Quoting CO777ER (Reply 16):
If you're leaving Terminal E, go by Pappasitos! They have the best tex/mex! (and no, I'm not receiving a raise for saying this Wink

That's crazy talk. Pappasitos is glorified gringo Tex/Mex. It's ok for what it is but it's not really that great. There are better choices, although if you are limited to the terminal area, it's not a bad choice.

If we're talking Houston based chains, I like Escalante's a lot better.

a.net content: IAH is easy to connect in, and the time limits mentioned should be no problem.
Firings, if well done, are good for employee morale.

pr1268

Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:46 pm

The city (downtown) isn't all that interesting.

Aww, c'mon! The 700 Louisiana (Bank of America) Building is certainly worth seeing - after all, it's a landmark in Sim City 3000!
 silly   Smile
The only time an aircraft has too much fuel is when it is on fire.

SA7700
Topic Author

Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:23 pm

Quoting WesternA318 (Reply 26):
I think you can get ANYWHERE in IAH in that amount of time, with some time left over to chill.

Thanks Western  Smile

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 30):
Remember two beers when you get to Alaska:
Alaskan Amber
Kassicks Blonde Ale

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 30):
Give a call, you should have my cellular . . . if not, PM me.

I will do so Pep, thanks for everything done "behind the screens" thus far. It seems as if the 10 sector ticket will be issued today. Big grin

Rgds

SA7700

IAHFLYR

Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:45 pm

Quoting COIAHLGW (Reply 27):
It was annexed

I hate when annexing make a fool out of me! It will always be Humble in my book/heart!  Smile

COflyerBOS

Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:47 am

People who don't find Houston interesting are usually people who have 1) never been there and basing things on perceptions or 2) have only been there for business.

Houston isn't an easy city to explore without the help of someone who lives there.

However, Houston is VERY interesting. Skyscrapers galore. The Menil Collection/Rothko Chapel is easily one of the best private art collections in the nation and it's FREE. Funky things like the Orange Show, Beer Can House, and Art Car Museum. Hermann Park is stunning along with Rice University's grounds. Live oak canopies will remind you that you are indeed in the South. A restaurant scene that is top 3 in the nation IMO with everything from fine dining to BBQ to Soul Food to Tex-Mex to Vietnamese to Gulf Coast Seafood. Hang out with the locals at an icehouse. Explore the Montrose area with CD joints, tattoo parlors, resale shops, drag shops, gay bars, coffee houses, old filling stations that now serve deserts, and antique stores in converted houses. Hit the new Chinatown and mega-malls in Southwest Houston. Drive along the best streets in River Oaks (Lazy Lane, River Oaks Blvd, Inwood, Brentwood, etc...) and see beautiful old mansions from the 1920s and 1930s.

I love traveling to Houston now that I have many friends down there. The lifestyle, especially that time of year, makes me jealous up here in Boston (maragaritas outside in December after a nice game of tennis at Memorial Park).

Amazonphil

Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:53 am

IAH is "in the city" so just landing there, you've been there. Most of the stuff to see is quite spread out around the area

If you are referring to "in the city" as Houston...no,actually the airport is btw Tombal and Kingwood, a ways north of the city of Houston. But as you said...there isn't a whole lot to see just at the airport.

Regards,
Felipe
If it ain't Boeing, I ain't goeing!

ShannoninAMA

Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:28 am

Quoting Brons2 (Reply 33):
That's crazy talk

Sorry, but no its not. Living in texas a large portion of my life, ive tried Every kind of Tex mex there is, and pappasitos definitely wins.

Be sure to try that or pappadeux!! Big grin

Shan  Smile
Shipwreck alert. Head on over to Airspaceonline.com.

WesternA318

Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:13 am

Quoting ShannoninAMA (Reply 39):
Be sure to try that or pappadeux!!

Pappadeux indeed....LOVE that place...
Check out my blog at fl310travel.blogspot.com!

102IAHexpress

Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:53 am

Quoting Amazonphil (Reply 38):
If you are referring to "in the city" as Houston...no,actually the airport is btw Tombal and Kingwood, a ways north of the city of Houston. But as you said...there isn't a whole lot to see just at the airport.

No it is in the city of Houston.

Edit: Also, IAH has always been part of the city of Houston. Houston did annex Kingwood, but IAH was never in Kingwood.

[Edited 2007-08-04 05:04:11]

nateDAL

Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:11 pm

Quoting Amazonphil (Reply 38):
If you are referring to "in the city" as Houston...no,actually the airport is btw Tombal and Kingwood

IAH is inside the city limits of Houston. The vast majority of Kingwood was annexed by the City of Houston in 1996 and is therefore part of Houston.
Set Love Free

SA7700
Topic Author

Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:38 am

Quoting SA7700 (Reply 35):
It seems as if the 10 sector ticket will be issued today

The tickets have barely been issued and already there is a schedule-and equipment change... Instead of a 738 to ANC, I will get to fly on a 753!  Big grin

Rgds

SA7700

DualQual

Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:44 am

Quoting KhelmDTW (Reply 7):
While on layover, if you're hungry, try the Panda Express or that Burrito place next to it for some food. They should be in the food court, Good food, not bad prices and that held me over on two connections at iah. (Just don't go to the Taco Bell, they don't use gloves)

I believe the Taco Bell is gone and is replaced by the aforementioned burrito place. I recommend either that or any of the Papa's establishments.
There's no known cure for stupid

nwafflyer

Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:53 am

And don't try Popeye's -- food is not thorughly cooked - pretty disgusting raw chicken strips

lgbga

Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:30 pm

Quoting WesternA318 (Reply 40):
Quoting ShannoninAMA (Reply 39):
Be sure to try that or pappadeux!!

Pappadeux indeed....LOVE that place...

Hubby eats there every time he goes thru IAH....even if he has to get it to go. That says alot about how good the food is because he usually hates to get food to go.

CoolGuy

Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:50 am

My trip is coming up and I'm looking forward to it. Does anyone know how the Continental Airlines policy works for same-day changes when I want to extend, rather than shorten, my layover time in IAH. Basically, I have 90 minutes there and would like to make it 6 hours. I'm not sure how to do that, and the phone agents at Continental give slightly more detailed advice than the website. Anyway, it's my first time ever in Texas, and I'd like to at least visit something outside of the airport. Any ideas on how to do that?