Downunderflyer
Topic Author

Is Delta To Fly To Australia?

Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:01 pm

I was talking to someone yesterday who was saying he's just been employed by Delta australian office to prepare for Delta's arrival into Brisbane - August/September 2008 .

Can anyone from Delta confirm this ??

the discussion included Delta codesharing with the new virgin airline - V Australia

Delta metal to Brisbane and V Australia codeshare
and
V australia metal to Sydney and Delta codeshare

thanks

B777ER

Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:31 pm

Surprised nobody has commented on this. I am also surpirsed that if true, DL would not have told your friend to keep quiet about it.

bps3458

Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:35 pm

Is it possible that DL simply intends to open a sales/ticket office here in Brisbane ? When I booked my domestic DL flights FLL-JFK-FLL last year in December I booked through a DL ticket agent in Sydney. If DL would actually start flying in to BNE I would expect a whole lot more publicity !!! Just my 2 cents !!!

Cheers,

Peter

sq452

Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:36 pm

First, why would Delta go to Brisbane first and not Sydney or Melbourne?

Second, how reliable is this source? I'm sure Delta told everyone to be hush hush on anything like this.

Third, will Delta have enough 777LR's by this time to operate the route? Assuming that that would be the aircraft that they would use (-ER is possible I guess from West Coast to Brisbane ops).

I'd be really surprised if this actually materialized...but then again nothing is out of the question entirely.
SIN > CVG > BOS

sparklehorse12

Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:39 pm

Wow - if true BNE is getting some new airlines knocking on the door EY and now possibly DL?

Are we about to see the Australia to US route open right up?
Airlines Flown : QF,NW,AA, CX, AC, MH, SQ, DJ, NZ, TG, PG,US, FJ, J8, AN, DD, JQ

jacobin777

Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:45 pm

Quoting SQ452 (Reply 3):

..over-capacity possibly??

Quoting BPS3458 (Reply 2):
Is it possible that DL simply intends to open a sales/ticket office here in Brisbane ?

.... checkmark ... a sales ticket office doesn't mean a carrier will be starting services there...

for example..in KHI, there are sales ticket offices for UA, VS, and even AZ... spin ....yet none serve Pakistan, let alone KHI...

"Up the Irons!"

kaitak

Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:45 pm

Quoting Sparklehorse12 (Reply 4):
Are we about to see the Australia to US route open right up?

Isn't there an Open Skies agreement between the US and Australia, in which case there shouldn't be any limitations (if there isn't, have there been moves/negotiations in that direction?)

I know Australia has been mentioned in DL's plans, when it gets its 777-200LRs, but BNE (with all due respect to it) does surprise me as a first Australian destination; I thought they might have gone to SYD and/or MEL?

QF175

Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:52 pm

Thanks for the interesting information, but alas, I'll believe it when I see it  Smile

Brisbane (Internationally) supplies a solid amount of premium traffic, but no where near as much as Sydney - and that's where DL should probably be flying.

Qantas currently has a monopoly on nonstop services from Brisbane to the United States, so another carrier would be welcome.

I think it would be better for Delta to fly to SYD (with V Australia codeshare) and V Australia to fly to Brisbane. DJ offers its best domestic connections out of BNE, so a linkup here would be good.

Yes I'm from Brisbane, but I think DL would be better suited at SYD.

But then again, who's to know, a DL service to BNE could prove to be successful sometime in the future.

I'm think Peter/BPS3458 is correct and that they may be simply setting up a ticketing office here in anticipation of SYD services.

Nevertheless, thanks anyway for an interesting topic to discuss!

Rgds

( PS - perhaps we could change the thread title - it leads the reader to believe that DL are starting services to Australia [nothing has been confirmed yet] ).

scorpy

Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:01 pm

It would be interesting to see V Australia code share with Denver when DJ have a limited relationship with UA.

I still don't think that service to Australia will be as lucrative for DL as many here seem to think.

Evan767

Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:16 pm

I just about crapped my pants when I read this thread title.
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

Acey559

Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:32 pm

I've been hearing this rumor for some time. When I worked for OH last summer they were talking like it was imminent, and now I'm back for my second summer (while not in school) and it is still being discussed. I know they are going to do it, the question is when. Hopefully it'll be sooner rather than later!

DJ748

Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:41 pm

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 5):
Quoting SQ452 (Reply 3):

..over-capacity possibly??

One good reason, and another that goes along with this is lack of competition on the non-stop routes across the pacific. QF are the only airline that does the trip across the pacific non-stop at the moment, with V Australia due to come on board either late next year or 2009 (fingers crossed). QF, NZ, SQ, CX, BR, JL, MH, TG and CI will get you there with 1 stop, but its not like going non-stop though. And EK and soon to be EY will also get you there with 1 stop, but will take you over double the time of the QF non-stop through to LAX.

It would be great to see another airline serving BNE from the US, particularly to give QF some competition on the route. Will be interesting to see the route operated by 3 airlines eventually, even it is to LAX, but admittedly it does offer good connections to almost anywhere in the States. Correct me if I'm wrong with the connection information.

Would love to see DL connecting to BNE. I would image the route would be LAX-BNE or even ATL-LAX-BNE.

UAL777UK

Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:10 pm

I dont believe for one minute that if DL are going to fly to Australia, that they are going to fly yo BNE first as opposed to MEL or SYD. Does not make any sense at all IMHO.
As mentioned above, having a ticket office in a city is one thing, serving that city or even that country is another matter altogether!

PBIflyguy

Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:26 pm

With the way we have been expanding, I think it is safe to say that ANYTHING is possible, but I would hesitate to put this into the "sure thing" category. We would all love to see it happen though........ Profitability will be the deciding factor.

Assuming it might be true, it poses some questions on one issue that effects the proftabilty of the route. We know that cargo generates revenue, but so does a nice fat properly designed First Class cabin. Our current BizElite product just is not beefy enough for a 14-15 hour flight. A flight to Australia would have to offer and at least meet the standards set by carriers already serving Austalian cities. BizElite to Europe for 8 hours is workable but not on a 14-15 hour flight. There are PAX out there that pay for a true First Class cabin and we would be ignorant to not take advantage of that small, but willing group who pay big bucks for a true sleeper seat and an extraordinary first class experience.

I'm not sure that DL is ready to design and implement a whole new class of service for one city pair. BUT, you never know..........

I'm sure someone will mention that we offer BizElite to South Africa, but that flight does not have the level of demand or competition that exists for USA-Australia flights .

AA7295

Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:32 pm

Delta would be making a smart move by flying into Brisbane. People do not give Brisbane enough credit when it comes to analysing it as a credible destination. BNE Airport is the portal to Brisbane City and surrounding Councils, Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast, Tweed Heads & alot of Northern NSW, Ipswich, Toowoomba, Kingaroy and other areas of South East Queensland, that add up to around 3 million residents. And with South East Queensland being the fastest growing region in Australia, that will overtake Melbourne's population in 2015, Delta is making the right choice.

Its true, MEL & SYD have two carriers (QF, UA) that offer direct flight to West Coast USA, and sometime there is over capacity. From what I here from my friend who works at Flight Centre, QF175/176 is almost always full. This would also be why Qantas has chosen to make the flight daily from March 08 IIRC

Also, from the people I've spoken to, Brisbane residents dislike flying to SYD and MEL to go overseas, which is why SQ, EK, CX do so well in BNE.

Regards,
AA7295

ANother

Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:28 pm

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 6):

Isn't there an Open Skies agreement between the US and Australia, in which case there shouldn't be any limitations (if there isn't, have there been moves/negotiations in that direction?)

Not quite open-skies but a 'liberal' bilateral. I believe new operators are limited to 4x weekly flights - although the two governments may agree to waive this rule for DJ & DL (if the rumours are true)

I understand that one of the main reasons why Australia won't agree to a full open skies is due to other issues - in particular a prohibition on the importation of Australian built ferryboats to operate services within the US. It seems OZ wanted to sell ferrys to Washington State - but under US legislation this is prohibited.

jacobin777

Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:07 pm

Quoting DJ748 (Reply 11):
One good reason, and another that goes along with this is lack of competition on the non-stop routes across the pacific. QF are the only airline that does the trip across the pacific non-stop at the moment, with V Australia due to come on board either late next year or 2009 (fingers crossed). QF, NZ, SQ, CX, BR, JL, MH, TG and CI will get you there with 1 stop, but its not like going non-stop though. And EK and soon to be EY will also get you there with 1 stop, but will take you over double the time of the QF non-stop through to LAX.

Quoting AA7295 (Reply 14):
Delta would be making a smart move by flying into Brisbane. People do not give Brisbane enough credit when it comes to analysing it as a credible destination. BNE Airport is the portal to Brisbane City and surrounding Councils, Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast, Tweed Heads & alot of Northern NSW, Ipswich, Toowoomba, Kingaroy and other areas of South East Queensland, that add up to around 3 million residents. And with South East Queensland being the fastest growing region in Australia, that will overtake Melbourne's population in 2015, Delta is making the right choice.

Quoting ANother (Reply 15):

Not quite open-skies but a 'liberal' bilateral. I believe new operators are limited to 4x weekly flights - although the two governments may agree to waive this rule for DJ & DL (if the rumours are true)

....interesting...I was thinking may DL could start BNE 4-5x/weekly then bump it up to daily...
"Up the Irons!"

asuflyer05

Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:54 am

Airlines have marketing representation in numerous countries they do not serve. One of the largest companies providing this service is Discover the World Marketing.

EddieDude

Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:10 am

DL has hinted in the recent past that they want to fly to Australia, so who knows. I also think BNE is a strange choice. Why not MEL? I think this needs to be taken with a grain of salt. In any case, let's be on the look out for more reliable info.

Quoting AA7295 (Reply 14):
sometime there is over capacity.

Hi AA7295, what time of the year is it when loads are light? I visited Australia early April of this year and the LAX-SYD and MEL-LAX flights I took were 100% or almost 100% full!!! From what I have heard, this is quite common.

Quoting Downunderflyer (Thread starter):
the new virgin airline - V Australia

Sorry for the ignorance, but what is V Australia? An offspring of Virgin Blue? Is it the rumored ultra-low-cost carrier that DJ was considering launching?
Next flights: MEX-LAX AM 738, LAX-PVG DL 77L, SHA-PEK CA 789, PEK-PVG CA A332, PVG-ORD MU 77W, ORD-MEX AM 738

Zone1

Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:12 am

Quoting B777ER (Reply 1):
DL would not have told your friend to keep quiet about it.

No joke. Most likely they would do this route from LAX so they can use a 777-200ER on it. They are at war with UA at LAX. Notice the return of LAX-HKG. I seriously doubt that would have happened if it wasn't obvious DL was planning on beefing up LAX. Now we can only hope that UA doesn't start up the route.
/// U N I T E D

RDUDDJI

Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:15 am

Isn't there an agreement between US/Aus, that only allows one carrier from each country to serve U.S.-Aus? I don't know how DL would get around that...
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

LAXdude1023

Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:19 am

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 18):
Hi AA7295, what time of the year is it when loads are light? I visited Australia early April of this year and the LAX-SYD and MEL-LAX flights I took were 100% or almost 100% full!!! From what I have heard, this is quite common.

It certainly is! I have flown to Australia on every flight that goes down there. LAX-BNE/SYD/MEL on QF and LAX-SYD on UA. I have never once seen an empty seat!

Im not sure how DL is going to do on this one. The thing is that LAX is bombarded with competition, but the market is so large that DL could probably get by. ATL would be out of the question.
It is what it is...

Xkorpyoh

Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:56 am

I recall a comment earlier this year from one of the DL experts in A.net (WorldTraveler?!? maybe) that BNE would be the first market to enter in Australia because of the rapid growth in the region and the reduced amount of competition nonstop on the LAX-BNE route.... I still think it is a great idea for entering this market. Loyal Skyteamers would love a direct option to Australia from the US and I believe it could be successful with their support. After that, I am sure SYD and MEL will follow.

atlflyer

Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:06 am

Well I guess Delta knows what they are doing. They released this press release today:

http://news.delta.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=10799

From Delta.com:
Delta Air Lines Reports Highest Single Month Load Factor on Record
Airline’s international expansion results in record international boardings

ATLANTA, Aug. 3, 2007 – Delta Air Lines (NYSE: DAL) today reported all-time record load factors in July 2007, including consolidated system load factor of 86.8 percent, mainline system load factor of 87.6 percent, mainline domestic load factor of 89.4 percent, and total Latin system load factor of 84.5 percent.

ANother

Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:20 am

Quoting RDUDDJI (Reply 20):
Isn't there an agreement between US/Aus, that only allows one carrier from each country to serve U.S.-Aus? I don't know how DL would get around that...

No, there is no limit on the number of airlines each country can designate, and at the moment there are two, and possibly three US airlines designated. HA from HNL and CO (I think) from GUM. But, as I mentioned above there is a frequency limitation for new entrants. Why and what, I don't know - but I've seen this referred to here before.

SLCUT2777

Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:44 am

The topic of DL starting U.S./Australia service comes up in these threads often. I think it is likely to be eventual, when and where are the topics for this debate. My thoughts are that with 772LRs coming on line early next year, DL could have some 772ERs that are available for some experimental service. While Australia service from the west coast (LAX, SFO & YVR) is quite saturated with Qantas, UA and AC, most of this service is aimed at the largest two Australia destinations; SYD and MEL. Could DL look at a niche market such as LAX-BNE? Or dare I say possibly LAX-PER? As it stands, I don't think PER has any direct service to the U.S., and despite it's isolation out on the Indian Ocean, point to point service makes this at the very least experimental, and the addition of 787 equipment in a few years might actually make an LAX-PER route a reality. If DL wants to serve SYD or MEL, then they will likely use a 772LR from ATL, given the saturation from LAX on these routes.
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

CitrusCritter

Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:45 am

Quoting ANother (Reply 24):
HA from HNL

HA just doesn't get it that they have a huge Asian opening to revitalize the airline. Every route does not need HNL involved...they could jump on LAX-BNE or LAX-SYD immediately and make themselves a legitimate TransPac carrier. They have the authority, they ought to use it!!!

kaitak744

Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:00 am

Quoting SQ452 (Reply 3):
Third, will Delta have enough 777LR's by this time to operate the route?

8 777-200ERs
6 777-200LRs.

777-200LR routes
--daily JFK-BOM
--daily ATL-JNB
--5x weekly(?) ATL-PVG/PEK

777-200ER routes
--5x weekly ATL-DXB
--daily ATL-TLV
--daily ATL-NRT
--4x weekly ATL-ICN
--One more free route.........

omoo

Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:47 am

Please DL, setup service btn ATL-PER so i can visit some friends .....  Smile  Smile
Fly Air Popobawa

dutchjet

Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:59 am

While we may eventually see DL launch a route to Australia as part of their world wide expansion and as part of their plans to turn LAX into a Pacific gateway.......I have my doubts about Brisbane. Its a nice city and the surrounding areas have touristic interest, but any real money to be made on routes to Australia is to Sydney (Australia's largest city) or Melbourne (Australia's financial center). I realize that QF flies a LAX-BNE nonstop, but QF is so very well established in and dominates the US-Australia market, is LAX-BNE a route that makes any sense for DL?

srbmod

Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:04 am

Considering that there is currently no Skyteam service directly from the US mainland to Australia, it's a major hole in the route map to fill (The current options are on CS out of GUM and KE out of ICN).

I doubt it would be a nonstop flight from ATL (as other than perhaps cargo, the demand probably wouldn't be high enough to support nonstop service) and more than likely, it would be routed via LAX since that is a focus city of sorts for the airline.

If DL fails to gain access to China for 2008, I would put money on them starting service to Australia by late 2008.

AirClapton

Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:05 am

Great news for skyteam!

Now I can fy direct US-Aussie on my round the world trip with skyteam

FLYGUY767

Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:11 am

Quoting CitrusCritter (Reply 26):
HA just doesn't get it that they have a huge Asian opening to revitalize the airline. Every route does not need HNL involved...they could jump on LAX-BNE or LAX-SYD immediately and make themselves a legitimate TransPac carrier. They have the authority, they ought to use it!!!

They dont have a legitimate aircraft type or a international standard business class product to be viable..

-JD
Summer Trip 2007: DEN HAAG>DUBAI>LONDON>VERONA>COSTA SMERALDA>CAPRI

onewickedboi

Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:14 am

Interesting information.

I for one had never heard of V Australia before yesterday, when I noticed their order for 6 B777s, which is reflected on the weekly update to Boeing's Order's and Deliveries website (http://active.boeing.com/commercial/orders/index.cfm) which is current through July 31, 2007.

That sort of metal should definitely be able to carry out the mission the original poster's source indicated, tending to corroborate the source (for all of those posters above expressing their doubt).

In addition, based on the Customer Report searches I initiated on Boeing's website, I would speculate that these frames are in addition to the 6 B777-300ERs ordered by Virgin Blue International on March 9, 2007, because Boeing does list V Australia's 6 B777 these as new orders, and does not indicate a cancellation by Virgin Blue International.

Please correct me if I am wrong or if I have misinterpreted Boeing's information.

R E G A R D S
"instant gratification takes too long . . . "

EXAAUADL

Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:14 am

Quoting SQ452 (Reply 3):

No kidding..also with Virgin Blue about to enter the US market plus QF introducing the A380, ther is going to be little in the way of crumbs left for them. I hope they arent dumb enough to try LAX-HNL-SYD and go up against JetStar, Hawaiian and Air Canada

Austrailia is globally what ILG was to the US. Glen wanted to serve all 50 states and we see how well that went. So now he wants to serve all continents.

Without a partner in Austrailia to take passengers beyond the gateway, it is nearly impossible for a US carrier to do well in OZ.

EXAAUADL

Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:17 am

So as part of this rumor a thrid OZ airline is in the works called V Australia. Given the hisory of the OZ aviation market, it is clear there is room only for two long term players.

EXAAUADL

Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:19 am

Quoting Dutchjet (Reply 29):
Sydney (Australia's largest city) or Melbourne (Australia's financial center).

The financial centre is SYD, the manufacturing centre is MEL

kaitak744

Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:42 am

Quoting Onewickedboi (Reply 33):
I would speculate that these frames are in addition to the 6 B777-300ERs ordered by Virgin Blue International on March 9, 2007, because Boeing does list V Australia's 6 B777 these as new orders, and does not indicate a cancellation by Virgin Blue International.

Quoting EXAAUADL (Reply 35):
So as part of this rumor a thrid OZ airline is in the works called V Australia. Given the hisory of the OZ aviation market, it is clear there is room only for two long term players.

I think "V Australia" stands for Virgin Australia. Just a re-brand of Virgin Blue, in order to do the long haul routes.

onewickedboi

Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:51 am

Quoting Kaitak744 (Reply 37):
I think "V Australia" stands for Virgin Australia. Just a re-brand of Virgin Blue, in order to do the long haul routes.

I very much see your logic here, however if this were the case, I would not expect that Boeing would show an order for 6 new 777s on their Order and Deliveries website, and not reflect something under "changes" evidencing that these were the aircraft formerly ordered by Virgin Blue in March.

On the other hand, if this were a completely new order, and seperate frames from those ordered by Virgin Australia in March '07, there should be a press release to this effect. I can't seem to find one though.

Found a pic of V Australia's livery: http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2007/07/25/1185043163190.html

R E G A R D S

[Edited 2007-08-03 22:56:41]
"instant gratification takes too long . . . "

EXAAUADL

Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:11 am

Quoting Kaitak744 (Reply 37):
think "V Australia" stands for Virgin Australia. Just a re-brand of Virgin Blue, in order to do the long haul routes

Will they fly domestically in Australia? Isnt DJ teamed with UA and isnt DJ either joining STAR or going to?

I can see V Australia codesharing with DL on the transpacific but the metal wil lbe A Aus, not DL.

CitrusCritter

Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:28 am

Quoting FLYGUY767 (Reply 32):
They dont have a legitimate aircraft type or a international standard business class product to be viable..

-JD

Of course. They would need some 777 a/c and design such a product, but that's not out of reach if they would show some aggressive growth. They seem to be hoping to stay afloat just by increasing their Hawaii-mainland flying. Strong leadership would jump on some of these opportunities -- witness MaxJet applying for China rights...at least they're willing to grasp for something. Anyway, this is a DL thread, we can discuss HA elsewhere.

dutchjet

Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:30 am

Quoting EXAAUADL (Reply 36):
The financial centre is SYD, the manufacturing centre is MEL

Check your facts and find out where most of Australia's banks are headquartered, then get back to us, OK?

Zone1

Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:34 am

Quoting Kaitak744 (Reply 27):
--5x weekly(?) ATL-PVG/PEK

The China routes can be done with the ER.

Quoting EXAAUADL (Reply 39):
Isnt DJ teamed with UA and isnt DJ either joining STAR or going to?

Yes they codeshare with UA, but that doesn't mean they will be joining *A. They could become a codeshare whore.
/// U N I T E D

IADCA

Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:44 am

Quoting ANother (Reply 24):
No, there is no limit on the number of airlines each country can designate, and at the moment there are two, and possibly three US airlines designated. HA from HNL and CO (I think) from GUM. But, as I mentioned above there is a frequency limitation for new entrants. Why and what, I don't know - but I've seen this referred to here before.

UA flies to SYD from the US mainland (sorry, don't remember if it's LAX or SFO). CO's service is GUM-CNS, but it's Air Mike, so it's a bit different than if the big CO was to choose CNS as its sole Australian destination. That said, I guess the Air Mike service does make some precedent for DL to choose a "secondary" city to open Australian service. There would still be a few regulatory hurdles to jump before DL would be able to fly to Australia using its own metal, so it seems more likely that this is either a precursor to a codeshare or just opening a ticket office for the hell of it.

burnsie28

Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:58 am

Even Northwest has a office in Australia.

Quoting IADCA (Reply 43):
UA flies to SYD from the US mainland (sorry, don't remember if it's LAX or SFO).

It's from both Los Angeles and San Francisco.

EXAAUADL

RE: Is Delta To Fly To Australia?

Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:19 am

Quoting Dutchjet (Reply 41):
Check your facts and find out where most of Australia's banks are headquartered, then get back to us, OK?

Where is the All Ordinaries and ASX HDQ?

Two of the largest banks in the US are in SFO, is that the financial HDQ for the US? I lived in OZ. SYD is regarded as the financial centre, MEL the manufacturing centre.

AA7295

Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:55 am

As I keep saying, BNE is not just for Brisbane City, its for South-East Queensland. IIRC 65% of arrivals at BNE (International) get straight in a car and drive somewhere not in Brisbane.

Quoting EXAAUADL (Reply 45):

And the Brisbane region is known for its lifestyle and numerous tourist attractions such a theme parks, beaches and numerous shops.

FYI: Brisbane Region - More concentrated definition that SEQ, its more Brisbane City, Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast, Ipswich and Toowoomba. Pretty much anywhere that is 2hr drive from BNE Airport.

kaitak744

Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:02 am

Quoting Onewickedboi (Reply 38):
I would not expect that Boeing would show an order for 6 new 777s on their Order and Deliveries website, and not reflect something under "changes" evidencing that these were the aircraft formerly ordered by Virgin Blue in March.

From Boeing's website:

Virgin Blue Airlines: 0 777s
V(irgin) Australia: 6 777s

So, it is effectively nothing but a name change.

Thankfully we won't be seeing 777-300ERs in that awful Virgin Blue livery.

teamspeedy

Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:37 am

Quoting IADCA (Reply 43):
A flies to SYD from the US mainland (sorry, don't remember if it's LAX or SFO).

'it's both
Flown on 727,747-200,747-400,757,777,A320,DC10,DC9.MD-80,SB340,CRJ-200,A380

teamspeedy

Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:39 am

Quoting Kaitak744 (Reply 47):
So, it is effectively nothing but a name change

correct , they created a new arm of the company for international flights and transfered the orders over to it

[Edited 2007-08-04 01:41:44]
Flown on 727,747-200,747-400,757,777,A320,DC10,DC9.MD-80,SB340,CRJ-200,A380

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos