flyingbronco05

CNN: "BA Europe's Worst Airline"

Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:47 pm

According to CNN, BA is Europe's worst performing airline.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bus...8/03/hancocks.ba.worst.airline.cnn

[Edited 2007-08-03 15:50:59]
Never Trust Your Fuel Gauge

jfk787nyc

Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:06 pm

Ok but, meanwhile they made close to 200 Million Pounds profit this quarter.

AirTranTUS

Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:11 pm

How many of the bags they misplace are O&D and how many are connections through LHR. I would imagine the majority are connections.
I love ASO!

sevenair

Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:14 pm

I also agree they are rubbish. Unfortunately their brand is so strong that they get away with it. It reminds me of the retailer Next - in that it doesn't matter what rubbish (and how rediculous it looks) people will but it just because it is Next.

As a trainee pilot, everyone always says 'so you want to work to BA?' and NEVER has anyone mentioned the name of any other airline. It is always BA. I hate them!

PM

Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:15 pm

Quoting Flyingbronco05 (Thread starter):
According to CNN, BA is Europe's worst performing airline.

Now let's see. Which do I respect more - BA or CNN...? Let me think.  Wink

YULYMX

Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:18 pm

Do they mean in Europe services? not internationaly?

Pope

Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:20 pm

I think this is absolute BS. I've yet (I fly them 4x - 8x/ year for the past 10 years) to have a bad experience on them. I'm amazed at what they can do on even the shortest of flights. One of the best sandwiches I've ever had in my life was a chicken salad sandwich on a Gatwick to Manchester flight that couldn't have taken more than 40 minutes from takeoff to landing.

If BA is the worst European airline, then I can't imagine how any of the US domestics would rank.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

speedbirdegjj

Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:22 pm

Quoting Sevenair (Reply 3):
I also agree they are rubbish. Unfortunately their brand is so strong that they get away with it

Hmm, Such an insightful and (un) educated post , would be delighted to hear how you came to you conclusion!  stirthepot 

in what way are BA rubbish??

Please, come on, elighten me.....

JoKeR

Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:26 pm

I also agree they are rubbish.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion...

I really like BA. I think they have an excellent brand, good fleet, quality in-flight service... they all take top marks. I will agree with you that cabin crew attitude sometimes leaves alot to be desired, but overall, one of my favorite airlines - no pun intended Big grin

Only pity being that their home base - LHR, is a disaster, that takes them down...
Kafa, čaj, šraf?

sk736

Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:29 pm

And exactly how is CNN qualified to make such bold statements? Many people would argue that BA is Europe's best airline - it's all a matter of your perspective (and your bias).

sandrozrh

Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:34 pm

Quoting Pope (Reply 6):
If BA is the worst European airline

They didn't say BA was the worst airline in terms of service, they said they are the worst performing airline (ontime performance, baggage handling), and looking at the figures, they can't be totally wrong, however i dare to argue that a large part of their bad ontime performance and baggage handling is thanks to the shithole called Heathrow.

typo

[Edited 2007-08-03 16:35:47]

davidkunzVIE

Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:36 pm

Quoting Flyingbronco05 (Thread starter):
BA is Europe's worst performing airline.

Signed, MOL.
DH3 DH4 CR1 CR2 CR7 CR9 F70 732 733 734 73G 738 752 762 763 772 742 743 319 320 321 333 343

fly2yyz

Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:54 pm

Quoting AirTranTUS (Reply 2):
How many of the bags they misplace are O&D and how many are connections through LHR. I would imagine the majority are connections.

Well, in the last 6 times I've flown LHR-CDG-LHR, (no connections) I've had my bag lost 3 times. Casually talking to the agent I was with on the telephone she said that 1 in 20 loses bags. I don't know if this is an accurate estimate, but I'm starting to think yes. BA in flight service is great, but it seems connecting in LHR is not very convenient if you need your bags for business meetings... or maybe its just coincidence for me. Or they hate me.

trekster

Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:57 pm

Quoting DavidkunzVIE (Reply 11):

With him stating he owns the worlds fav airline, what a joke.

When something happens at LHR, fog, strikes etc, BA always get the press coverage. Over Xmas, it was BA BA BA yet the fog affected EVERY airline that operates at LHR.

The press (Daily Mail especially) hate BA at the moment.
Yes its having problems, but name me one airline that is not having trouble.
Where does the time go???

vv701

Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:06 am

Of course 'worst' and 'best' require personal perception. CNN says BA is the 'worst performing European airline' while OAG say they are the world's 'Airline of the Year' and that BA 'were the big winner at the 25th Anniversary OAG Airline of the Year Awards':
http://www.oag.com/Airline+of+the+Year/
You will have to take your choice!

yowza

RE: CNN: "BA Europe's Worst Airline"

Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:17 am

Are BA the best in Europe? No. Are they the worst? Certainly not. Remember this is CNN you're dealing with.

YOWza

FLYACYYZ

Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:30 am

I think this is more tied in to the fact that Heathrow is perhaps Europe´s worst airport, which is an inescapable reality being BA´s base. In the larger picture BA is a very, very good and profitable airline.
Above and Beyond

raffik

Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:48 am

Things will improve when T5 is open.
To say that BA is Europe's worst airlines (according to CNN- Hmm, you might want to watch the performance and service standards onboard their beloved American carriers...) is a bit ridiculous.

They rank BA BELOW Alitalia, Iberia, SAS, Lufthansa? Are they kidding? My God, you get a better service on a BA shuttle Manchester-London (30 minutes) than you do ANY airline operating US East -West - East coast carrier.
Complimentary full bar service, hot meals. hot refresher towels, PTVs, blankets, pillows, an extremely well designed FF programme with BA not to mention an enviable route map.

Baggage is an issue but as I said, once T5 is up and running, things will be pretty streamlined.

What do you expect from CNN! Pft
- Alec

GDB

Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:30 am

FLYACYYZ has it right, LHR is all too often, the cause, not always, but far too often.
Of course, what airline's tails get splashed all over the news, no matter what the cause of the story?

If the Daily Rant hates us, that's almost a badge of honour, just who do they like?

Sevenair, so you 'hate' over 40,000 people?
Trainee pilot? God help us.

JoeCanuck

Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:38 am

I really dislike the excuse of how much service will improve at Heathrow once the magical T5 opens. Why weren't proper contingencies implimented to allow for disruptions?

Usually, when forced to connect through lhr, it's through T3...How will that be effected by T5? For BA or BAA allow the lousy service through lhr to continue is an abomination. It seems BAA really does only care about BA. The other airlines are merely there to provide revenue for T5. Nice.
What the...?

Mir

Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:44 am

Quoting AirTranTUS (Reply 2):

Probably. LHR is a mess, and I avoid connecting through there if I can.

Quoting Pope (Reply 6):
If BA is the worst European airline, then I can't imagine how any of the US domestics would rank.

Probably pretty low.

Quoting SK736 (Reply 9):
And exactly how is CNN qualified to make such bold statements? Many people would argue that BA is Europe's best airline - it's all a matter of your perspective (and your bias).

There's a difference between "worst airline" and "worst performing airline". I've had great experiences on BA flights last year, but some of those flights were late, and they did lose my bags on one of the legs. The onboard staff is great, but the Heathrow operation is lacking. And it's not for lack of effort - they just don't have the space to do what they need to do.

BA is far from Europe's worst airline. But I could definitely see them as the worst PERFORMING airline in Europe.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

rtfm

Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:52 am

Quoting JoeCanuck (Reply 19):
Usually, when forced to connect through lhr, it's through T3...How will that be effected by T5? For BA or BAA allow the lousy service through lhr to continue is an abomination. It seems BAA really does only care about BA. The other airlines are merely there to provide revenue for T5. Nice.

Ha, ha, ha.... I think that quite a few people (management and others included) in BA would think that the statement that BAA only care about BA somewhat ironic given the significant impact that BAA's poor infrastructure and service have had on BA recently.

But to answer your question... once T5 is opened, the majority of BA's ops will move in there. That will free up most of T4 and a large part of T1 allowing other carriers (who currently use other terminals, including many of the big players in T3) to move in there. Their moving will free up space in T3 which, coupled with additional investment which BAA are making in T3 (new car park, forecourt, etc) should make T3 a better place to connect through. (OK, the prrof will be in the pudding, but that's the theory anyway...)

Arsenal@LHR

Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:55 am

There is no such thing as the "worst" or "best" airline, it is all a matter of personal experience and choice. For some people Iberia is the best airline out there for others it is an airline to avoid. BA are one of the best in the business, it might not the *the* best but it certainly isn't the worst.

Usually, when forced to connect through lhr, it's through T3...How will that be effected by T5?

When T5 opens it will house all of BA's flights minus flights to Australia and Spain, so the chances that you as a Canadian passenger having to change terminals for a connection are minimum.
In Arsene we trust!!

JoeCanuck

Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:05 am

Quoting Arsenal@LHR (Reply 22):

When T5 opens it will house all of BA's flights minus flights to Australia and Spain, so the chances that you as a Canadian passenger having to change terminals for a connection are minimum.

I usually don't have to change terminals, (terminal being an awesome description of lhr), thank the gods. If I had to go through more than one terminal, well...I just can't imagine the horror.

From what RFTM said, it looks like the odds of having to transfer through a different terminal will be increased when Ba moves into T5.

We poor Canucks need more options than lhr and FRA for connections in europe, (FRA being, by a ton, the way better option...waaaayyyyyyy better).

I know this was a BA thread but my lhr allergies got the better of me...
What the...?

ANother

Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:26 am

Quoting Raffik (Reply 17):
Things will improve when T5 is open.

You know I really hope this is the case, but since BAA are involved I seriously doubt it.

I can just see it now, 17 lanes of state of the art security screening and two sullen staff to man them all.

antonovman

Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:39 am

Quoting ANother (Reply 24):
I can just see it now, 17 lanes of state of the art security screening and two sullen staff to man them all.

I think you've hit it on the head ANother. BAA claim to have created 22 new security lanes but how often are they open ?

vv701

Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:58 am

How will that be effected by T5? For BA or BAA allow the lousy service through lhr to continue is an abomination. It seems BAA really does only care about BA.

It does not require too much thought to appreciate that if T5 was the only new project at LHR then all areas of the airport should benefit. After all approaching 40 per cent of all passengers currently using LHR will by around this time next year be using a terminal that does not exist today. It therefore follows that the existing terminals will be , on average, almost 40 per cent less crowded. So it is more than clear that all airlines and all passengers using LHR will benefit from the T5 opening.

One of the benefits accruing to all airlines belonging to alliances with the exception off oneworld (to which, of course, BA belongs) is that, for the first time, all member airlines will operate from a single LHR terminal.

Then when Heathrow East is open in 2012 (and LHR's oldest terminal, T2 is closed, BA and its passengers will not benefit in any way.

These facts make the statement 'It seems BAA really does only care about BA' look to have in reality little if any foundation.

lewis

Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:47 am

I've flown LHR-ATH-LHR with BA two times. Not even one out of four flights was above average. From ground staff and ridiculous delays to crew attitude and food onboard, everything left negative impressions to me and my travel companions (not all Greek, British too). I only flew them for a second time just to give BA a second chance. They are certainly not the worst, but they are not as good as you'd expect.

Curiousflyer

Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:04 am

They seat in LHR and have lots of slots, they are a good airline but certainly not the best. They can get away with LHR being so bad because that's where people want to go through in and out of London. As people will slowly understand that there are much better options as London has 5 airports, they will progressively start using the less congested platforms and maybe BA and others will learn they should serve this market (and their clients).

BA787

Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:07 am

No wonder your RU is so low  Silly

You are entitled to your own opinion though. The press seem to be a bit pissed at BA at the moment.

Anyone else think it is slightly unfair the way that Virign Atlantic got off scott free in all of this price fix thing just because they informed the Dft. Squealing shouldn't get you out of a punishment completely

BA787

OB1504

Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:13 am

To those of you who are so quick to slam CNN and American carriers in general, read SandroZRH's post (or watch the entire video).

Quoting SandroZRH (Reply 10):

They didn't say BA was the worst airline in terms of service, they said they are the worst performing airline (ontime performance, baggage handling), and looking at the figures, they can't be totally wrong, however i dare to argue that a large part of their bad ontime performance and baggage handling is thanks to the shithole called Heathrow.

British Airways is "Europe's worst airline" in terms of operational statistics, not service or anything else. They just have late flights and lose bags often, that's a proven fact.

sandrozrh

Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:24 am

Quoting OB1504 (Reply 30):

British Airways is "Europe's worst airline" in terms of operational statistics, not service or anything else. They just have late flights and lose bags often, that's a proven fact.

That's exactly what I said.  Confused

I myself never had a bad experience with BA.

LAXspotter

Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:02 am

How did they come to determine it was the worst airline? By customer satisfaction or in this case dissatisfaction? I mean, isnt that the same way WN is considered to be the "best" airline in the USA because of customer satisfaction on a wide variety points?
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

WAH64D

Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:13 am

Quoting FLYACYYZ (Reply 16):
think this is more tied in to the fact that Heathrow is perhaps Europe´s worst airport, which is an inescapable reality being BA´s base. In the larger picture BA is a very, very good and profitable airline

LHR could do better, no question. I don't think its close to being Europe's worst airport though, it has a long way to degenerate before it hits the depths of CDG or even parts of FRA.
I AM the No-spotalotacus.

Mir

Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:21 am

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 32):
How did they come to determine it was the worst airline? By customer satisfaction or in this case dissatisfaction? I mean, isnt that the same way WN is considered to be the "best" airline in the USA because of customer satisfaction on a wide variety points?

They came to the conclusion that it was Europe's worst performing airline because of its on-time statistics and its baggage loss statistics, which to me seems fair. If you're not getting your passengers to their destinations on time and if you lose their baggage a lot, you're not performing very well as an airline.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

BBADXB

Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:32 am

While I consider CDG's old terminal 1 worse than LHR, I find CDG's T2 way better than LHR.

BBADXB

baw217

Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:42 am

I only fly with BA unless they do not operate to the destination I would like to go to.

I have NEVER had a problem with BA, I enjoy thier CE product. BA have never lost any of my bags and I've never come across a rude member of flight crew, and when my flight has been delayed (longest was 2hrs on a GLA-LGW Shuttle) we where kept informed on what was going on, and once onboard the crew was excellent.

As someone who works in the operations sector of the Aviation world, I can put very good money on why aprox 30% of BA delays stem from, and thats ATC Restrictions. Today I saw at least 5 BA flights from LHR and LGW with delays of 70mins+ due to ATC Slots, yet a BMI Flight on the same route only had a delay of 20mins, its just the way Brussels works slots.

Those slots then make the aircraft laste for the rest of the day, which is why BA's On-time performace is quite poor, its not the worst on-time statistics I've ever seen, that belogs to Flyjet before Silverjet took them over.

BA start to replace the B733 and B735 fleet at KGW from next year with A319's which should improve LGW's on time percentage as there will be less 737 classics going tech!

Cheers

JoeCanuck

Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:52 am

Quoting VV701 (Reply 26):
It does not require too much thought to appreciate that if T5 was the only new project at LHR then all areas of the airport should benefit.

It should also not have taken too much thought for Baa to realise that with thousands of passengers connecting through, say T3, that it might take more than 2 security gates to service transiting passengers, (the same number as 5 years ago...before liquid bans and burning jeeps). Instead, they built a really nifty, overpriced shopping mall...just in time to introduce new carry on "security" measures, (which gets connecting passengers to throw away, (no bins in the budget either, by the way), their booze and perfume), to buy the lhr stuff. Nice priorities.

So while Baa is working diligently to get Ba their swanky new digs, everyone else is taking it like the skinny guy in the prison shower. No worries, though...be patient. Everything will be just fine...really...we promise...just don't look at the track record for any indication of it, though.
What the...?

sstsomeday

Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:19 am

Quoting SpeedbirdEGJJ (Reply 7):
in what way are BA rubbish??

Please, come on, elighten me....

I just joined BA Executive Club and flew 6 segments to and within Europe from LAX, only to find that most of my legs will only be accrued as 25% !!! of my mileage due to the fact that I paid a restricted fare for most legs. Thank you, BA, I will be cancelling my F.F. account.

This is appalling, insulting, and unprecedented. I wasted half an hour contacting Executive Club because I thought my mileage had been assigned in error, since this policy seems to be buried in some fine print I have yet to discover.

I am unaware of any other airline policy that approaches this. Air Canada gives only 50% of mileage on restricted tickets in domestic, internal Canadian markets, due to lack of effective competition, but they can't do it with their trans-border flights. How does BA get away with 25%? I think they should let me have my mileage when I pay $1,400 for an intercontinental coach seat. Actually, if people are paying exorbitant last-minute fares, then THEY should be getting a mileage BONUS rather than penalize me.

And yes, my last flight through Heathrow was delayed an hour since we had to be bussed to where our 747 was parked - at a jetway, but a jetway at a completely different terminal from the one that LAX bound flights are supposed to depart from. There was no explanation as to why this was the case, nor an apology - yet we could tell what the situation was based on where we went once we boarded the busses.

In another instant, after making an inconvenient and exorbitant bus trek from Gatwick to Heathrow (19 pounds for a one hour bus ride! - which BA does not reimburse! Robbery! This is over $40), BA was not allowing people into the terminal until 2 hours before their flights because of the aftermath of the rain storms which had been over for several days. They made us wait in the parking lot! Some connecting international passengers were sitting there on their suitcases for many hours. I managed to find my way in through a side door, but many passengers had been kept outside too long due to lack of communication between the BA personnel inside and outside the terminal, so they missed their on-time flights. It was a DISASTER. The staff were POLITE, it is fair to say, but the system was non-functioning.

Additionally, those cleverly designed seats for intra-Europe flights that change from business class to coach merely by adjusting the armrests are NOT Business seats and the legroom appears to be MEAGER. I'm glad I didn't fall for the offer to upgrade for a fee. The difference is negligable.

I can give BA some leeway in the face of record-breaking rainstorms, but this frequent flyer policy is plainly unacceptable, insulting, and covert.

I will avoid BA and Heathrow at all costs.
I come in peace

Qantas744er

Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:21 am

Bunch of Bullshit...in my opinion

let's not forget which airline was the worlds best in 2006..

Yup it was BA  Wink

source: www.airlinequality.com
Happiness is V1 in Lagos

Caymanair

Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:27 am

BA is a great international carrier. Sometimes, like every other company, something will go wrong. But you can't say that they're bad at what they do. They provide a level of service that North American carriers haven't provided for years and they make a pretty hefty profit in the face of serious competition....unlike their counterparts across the pond.

IF the airport is an issue, I'll just point to MIA. I would choose an international connection at LHR any day over MIA, but thats just my opinion.

CNN, for that matter, is usually incorrect when it comes to aviation related matters. I don't think that has changed recently...

777236ER

Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:35 am

Of course, BA's problems at Heathrow are their own doing. They've been focussing more and more on Heathrow, with an almost complete withdrawl from the regions. BA know Heathrow won't get any better, yet continue to concentrate on it, ignoring most other London airports, let alone the rest of the UK.

Even BA's lobbying of improvements to London airports has been lackluster. Has there been any support for expansion of non-LHR airports? Any talk from BA of supporting a new airport?
Your bone's got a little machine

vv701

Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:36 am

Quoting JoeCanuck (Reply 37):
So while Baa is working diligently to get Ba their swanky new digs, everyone else is taking it like the skinny guy in the prison shower.

BAA are also working diligently to get all the Star Alliance airlines 'swanky new digs'. Heathrow East is being built at a cost of £1.5 billion and will open in 2012. oneworld - BA's alliance - will have to put up with the oldest surviving terminal, T3, while Skyteam and the non-alligned airlines will get what is currently LHR#s newest operational terminal, T4.

Funnily enough although ALL airlines will benefit from the opening of T5 as LHR's capacity increases to 90 million passengers a year (from a figure less than the 68 million passengers actually using it at present) only those airlines who are members of the Star Alliance will benefit from Heathrow East. Its opening will not affect BA in T5, the rest of the oneworld alliance in T3 or Skyteam and non-alligned airlines in T4.

BAxMAN

Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:53 am

CNN is being a bit sensationalist. But whilst I don't think anyone who doesn't have either an agenda or a grudge would seriously call BA 'Europe's Worst,' it would be fair to say that BA has, for a number of reasons (some self inflicted, some not) been 'Europe's Most Disappointing Airline' of the past 12 months. BA deserves, more than any other airline (apart from perhaps AZ!), a period of calm. You really don't want calamity after calamity behind you just as you are about to move into a new terminal at your home base. You can start smelling something.......inevitable.

Quoting SSTsomeday (Reply 38):

That's a nice rant, but in all honesty contains a lot of naivety. The stuff you are so incredulous about is hardly something that is classified information.

BAEC has awarded 25% mileage on discounted fares for several years. It's by no means unique in this situation. A lot of BA's rivals (particularly BD) make quite a song and dance about the extra generosity of their own Diamond Club programme. If disocunted tickets are your sole source of mileage earning, then I don't think BAEC is right for you (although you'd be surprised at how low WT Plus fares can be which, IIRC, will give 125% of mileage).

The transfer between LGW/LHR is also something that BA is very clear about. Book this connection online and a great, tonking big message appears telling you that the connection is not included in your fare. Such a brazen admission like this I would struggle to define as 'robbery.'

The salvaging of the operation after the London monsoon was unfortunate and I wouldn't accept your criticisms in this respect, though I can certainly why you would nevertheless be unhappy.
I need to get laid

BA777ER236

Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:06 am

As a trainee pilot, everyone always says 'so you want to work to BA?' and NEVER has anyone mentioned the name of any other airline. It is always BA. I hate them!

Well, I guess that means that you won't be applying then, which is just as well as I can't imagine wanting to fly with someone who doesn't seem to have an objective mature view about the aviation industry!

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 41):
Of course, BA's problems at Heathrow are their own doing. They've been focussing more and more on Heathrow, with an almost complete withdrawl from the regions.

Yep, it certainly doesn't help when you put all of your eggs in a rotten basket!

I think that LHR has to be the worst performing major airport in Europe, so if BA is so tied to it, it's not very hard to be the worst performing airline in Europe!

Cheers
 Smile
Flying would be easy if it wasn't for the ground

Byrdluvs747

Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:09 am

Quoting SSTsomeday (Reply 38):
I thought my mileage had been assigned in error, since this policy seems to be buried in some fine print I have yet to discover.

Wow. You really need to look harder before joining a FF program.

On discounted economy fares (non-flexible ticket), you will earn 25% of the actual miles flown.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/ecmilesearninfo/public/en_us

Quoting Qantas744ER (Reply 39):
Bunch of Bullshit...in my opinion

let's not forget which airline was the worlds best in 2006..

Which has as much meaning as the digested kibble my dog just dropped in my backyard. It's just another opinion.

At least CNN's piece was rooted in actual figures.
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

JoeCanuck

Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:11 am

Quoting VV701 (Reply 42):
BAA are also working diligently to get all the Star Alliance airlines 'swanky new digs'. Heathrow East is being built at a cost of £1.5 billion and will open in 2012. oneworld - BA's alliance - will have to put up with the oldest surviving terminal, T3, while Skyteam and the non-alligned airlines will get what is currently LHR#s newest operational terminal, T4.

Funnily enough although ALL airlines will benefit from the opening of T5 as LHR's capacity increases to 90 million passengers a year (from a figure less than the 68 million passengers actually using it at present) only those airlines who are members of the Star Alliance will benefit from Heathrow East. Its opening will not affect BA in T5, the rest of the oneworld alliance in T3 or Skyteam and non-alligned airlines in T4.

So this disaster is supposed to continue, unabated, for another 5 YEARS...? And that's good news...? Holy crap...I suppose WW1 was a little skirmish and Katrina was a bit of a sharp breeze.

How can you trust anything those folks say or predict...? In the 5 years I've been forced to go through T3, it's been under continuous construction. They started with 2 xray stations...and they have 2 now. It was a horror show then and it's much worse now. When I was tortured through there a couple of weeks ago, the rude staff curtly informed me how we should be grateful for the lines since it proves their security people are being thorough. I laughed out loud. All it proves is that Baa would rather spend the cash on crap duty free shops instead of xray machines and training.

They've put all their eggs into the "it'll be better in the future...sometime...we promise...honest" basket without provision for a decades worth of disruption.
What the...?

gh123

Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:38 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 6):
f BA is the worst European airline, then I can't imagine how any of the US domestics would rank

Exactly

Quoting SK736 (Reply 9):
And exactly how is CNN qualified to make such bold statements?

Exactly

And i suppose all of CNN's complaints are the reasons why British Airways in Airline The Year 2007.

CNN ought to stick to their sping and propanganda. It has to be the worst news channel in existence bar Russian, Cuban and Iranian State TV.

BBADXB

Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:58 am

CNN was quoting the results of one of the regular AEA reports (AEA standing for the Association of European Airlines). I'm not trying to defend anyone. I still think highly of both CNN and BA, but I avoid LHR at all costs as I think it is one of the worst airports in Europe.

BBADXB  wink 

coolfeet77

Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:11 am

CNN is to television as Washington Post is to print---all they report is nothing but crap. I've flown BA on many occasions and I have yet to be attended by an FA wearing sneakers, served nuts and a 4-oz drink on a short jaunt, provided a blanket on board that reeked body odor, or given lip for even asking politely for an upgrade (given seating is available). I give no credence to this reportage.