BBADXB
Topic Author

Why Doesn't Air Berlin Fly To Malta From PMI?

Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:53 am

In the light of the recent incentives of the MTA and MLA for new services to Spain and Portugal (as well as Scandinavia), why doesn't Air Berlin fly to Malta from Palma de Mallorca?

It would offer:
- a convenient connection to a popular destination in the Med:
>> for sunseekers from Germany and elsewhere via PMI, not to mention the resident population of Mallorca;
>> for holidaymakers from a relatively large number of cities in Spain and Portugal via PMI;
- a new popular destination from Malta for outbound tourism;
- a whole lot of new connections to cities in Spain, Portugal, Germany and beyond from Malta, via PMI.

Anyone in the know can tell us whether AB has looked at this possibility or whether the MTA and/or MLA have approached AB?

Lufthansa is flying from FRA to Malta twice daily for July, August and part of September, and it seems it is doing very well as today, for example, it is sending 2x AB6s! This is on top of the relatively aggresive expansion of KM into Germany and 4U's services from STR and CGN. XG also seems to be doing well on the BCN-MLA route as over the last month and through August, their fares are not what I'd consider low-cost. Moreover, with FR starting Girona-MLA in autumn, I'd rather see some competition on Malta-Spain routes, and AB would be the ideal LCC in my opinion.

CheerZ,

BBADXB  wink