Door5Right

Emirates Diverted To Gatwick - Pilot Not Told!

Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:54 pm

Anyone interested in the chaos and appalling management of LHR these days may enjoy the following tale of a delayed Emirate flight from Dubai to LHR being diverted to Gatwick - only no-one told the pilot who landed at LHR only to then have to tell the pas they weren't getting off but were now about to have a fifteen minute hop across to LGW!

Full story eloquently narrated by Simon Calder in todays Independent newspaper at link below

http://travel.independent.co.uk/news_and_advice/article2832068.ece
My soul is in the sky...

kaitak

RE: Emirates Diverted To Gatwick - Pilot Not Told!

Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:58 pm

Quoting Door5right (Thread starter):
fifteen minute hop across to LGW!

Fifteen minutes my foot! More like an hour and fifteen minutes, depending on traffic.

Door5Right

Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:06 pm

LOL - you are quite right, Mr Kaitak!

The aircraft pushed back from stand at LHR at 10.50pm "for ther short flight to LGW" but did not touch down at Gatwick till 12.27am!
My soul is in the sky...

antonovman

Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:10 pm

Anyone interested in the chaos and appalling management of LHR these days may enjoy the following tale of a delayed Emirate flight from Dubai to LHR being diverted to Gatwick - only no-one told the pilot who landed at LHR only to then have to tell the pas they weren't getting off but were now about to have a fifteen minute hop across to LGW!

I think that should read appalling management of EK operations. Should it have been the job of LHR management to call the captain on the radio or send him an ECARS message telling him to divert to LGW ? I think not ! EK Ops job that

gilesdavies

Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:12 pm

Great story and sums up the absolute mess London airports are in!

I like the way Simon Calder tells the story, but do not believe for one minute he was on that flight! He is always coincidently caught up in these problem flights.

OA260

Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:24 pm

What a nightmare !!! Would have made a cool TR though LOL.... Are the passengers being compensated???

Indy

Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:29 pm

This is a great story. It should go into the aviation hall of fame  Smile

Quoting OA260 (Reply 5):
Would have made a cool TR though LOL

Maybe qualify as an extra FF segment? LOL
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

777STL

Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:31 pm

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 1):
Fifteen minutes my foot! More like an hour and fifteen minutes, depending on traffic.

The pax didn't get off the plane, i.e. they were flying the plane over to LGW.
PHX based

sanjet

Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:35 pm

I just feel like there's more to this story. I mean pilots usually call their company OPS at the approaching airport to advise them of their ETA. Feels weird that they wouldn't at least tell the pilots that they must divert to Gatwick?!?
Will Fly For Food!

Leezyjet

Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:40 pm

Quote:
Heathrow's ground handlerswere stood down.

Thats rubbish, I know who does Emirates ramp handling, and certainly the ramp staff would have been there until after midnight, so the a/c could have been offloaded. Maybe the customer services staff had been sent home, but I doubt that either.

Quote:
9.40pm: Touchdown at Heathrow

The latest take off time for the noise curfew at LHR is 23:29 to be lined up at the end of the runway for the ban to come in at 23:30, so I don't understand why they couldn't have turned the a/c round in that time, unless "facts" have conveniently been missed out by Mr. Calder.

Lets get one thing straight, this has absolutely NOTHING to do with the BAA or Heathrow Airport Ltd (not often I'll back them up), it is purely down to Emirates themselves.

As the situation unfolded, and they found the a/c HAD actually landed at LHR, the best thing for them to do would have been to revise the plan of action, and offload the a/c at LHR, then if they really needed to, position the a/c empty to LGW, but this would have all depended on crew hours. Although hindsight is a wonderful thing, and coming from an Airline Ops background, I know how even the best thought out plans can go drastically wrong if one minor thing is forgotten, or something else comes along and screws the plan up - both of which happened in this case !!.

Not a huge fan of Simon Calder. For such a well travelled, travel journalist he often gets things very wrong or conveniently misses out vital facts to make the company he chooses to slate this week appear stupid/rubbish/incompetant - delete as applicable. Heck in the 2nd paragraph he can't even spell Gatwick !!

Quote:
your boarding pass says Gatwich

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

LHRBlueSkies

Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:39 pm

Quoting Sanjet (Reply 8):
I just feel like there's more to this story.

Yup, I can smell the fish from here!

Quoting Leezyjet (Reply 9):
Lets get one thing straight, this has absolutely NOTHING to do with the BAA or Heathrow Airport Ltd (not often I'll back them up), it is purely down to Emirates themselves.

Bang on leezy! This had nothing to do with how Heathrow operates, as late flights are often allowed to arrive late, they just can't always turnaround and depart late as well.

Could it be that EK wanted the a/c in LGW for the next day, planned the whole thing badly, and hence the pile of poo wriiten by Mr.Caulder?!  scratchchin 
flying is the safest form of transport - until humans get involved!

justplanes

Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:10 am

Shame on EMIRATES for doing this to the inbound LHR pax! There is no excuse for that.
If they were already on the ground at Heathrow they should have at least let the pax disembark.. then ferried the a/c empty to Gatwick.
I also wonder what the fuel situation was when that aircraft landed at Gatwick.

LHRBlueSkies

Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:16 am

Quoting JustPlanes (Reply 11):
I also wonder what the fuel situation was when that aircraft landed at Gatwick.

What do you mean? I'm sure they would have refuelled the a/c with sufficient to get to LGW and any diversion point... they may have been badly organised, but corner-cutting is not an EK issue!

Vasu

Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:18 am

That was a very interesting read!

But those poor passengers... the ones on the plane... I bet they wondered why they couldn't just deploy an emergency slide and quickly drop them off while they were at LHR!

Ryanair737

Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:23 am

Simon Calder talks out of his arse most of the time, but yes he was definitely on the flight because last Sunday morning he rang into Radio Five Live at around 0100 in the morning, I was listening. I like the way he always mentions the "Pilot" when actually there is two people flying the machine, somebody should tell him that.

LAST FLIGHTS= Ryanair LPL-BGY-LPL - EI-DPS/DWV - MAY 08 // NEXT FLIGHTS= TBC

MCOflyer

Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:46 am

I can smell fish too.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

LHRBlueSkies

Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:54 am

I'm surprised EK156 hasn't given us some 'insight' into the shenanigans of this flight!?!?

Someone must know more about what went on...

dl767captain

Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:04 am

I don't understand, how did he land at lhr if he was diverted wouldn't some one at lhr have told him when they were bringing him in? And if they were already on the ground why would they leave

LHRBlueSkies

Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:08 am

Quoting DL767captain (Reply 17):
I don't understand,

That's because none of this makes sense....

If he was being diverted, it would upon his company orders, or the airports. LHR was not shut to arriving a/c at that time, and air traffic would not send a flight anywhere else without a refiled flight plan from the EK ops dept.

This whole story just smacks of inconsistantcies..

Indy

Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:12 am

This is just a guess from someone who does not work for an airline. It seems to me the diversion was the brainchild of the airline and not the airport. It seems the airline wanted the diversion so they could do their 2 hour turnaround without having to deal with the noise restrictions. It seems LHR had no problem with them landing otherwise they wouldn't have been given clearance to land. It seems the airline figured out their problem after they landed that they had moved to the other airport. I doubt its LHR's problem to know that the airline decided to move its passengers. I could be wrong. But this just seems like it is all on the airline.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

Ryanair737

Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:18 am

Quoting LHRBlueSkies (Reply 18):
This whole story just smacks of inconsistantcies..

What do you expect, Simon Calder wrote it.

He should stick to writing about countries, period.

[Edited 2007-08-04 18:20:54]
LAST FLIGHTS= Ryanair LPL-BGY-LPL - EI-DPS/DWV - MAY 08 // NEXT FLIGHTS= TBC

LHRBlueSkies

Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:18 am

Quoting Indy (Reply 19):
so they could do their 2 hour turnaround without having to deal with the noise restrictions.

a rule of thumb is, if you speak to the airport in advance, they are normally pretty accommodating in letting you break the curfew, because they don't want 300+ pax stranded at their airport overnight.

Boeing77W

Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:33 am

Quoting Ryanair737 (Reply 20):
What do you expect, Simon Calder wrote it.

He should stick to writing about countries, period.

I agree with you here, this isn't the first time I've read an article by him which is full of holes and in-terms of knowledge on BAA and regulations etc. could have been written by a 10 year old.

BMED

Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:48 am

Quoting 777STL (Reply 7):
they were flying the plane over to LGW

All of the pax, must be making big cockpits nowdays
Living the jetset life! No better way to be

vv701

Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:53 am

Anyone interested in the chaos and appalling management of LHR these days may enjoy the following tale of a delayed Emirate flight from Dubai to LHR being diverted to Gatwic

Quoting Gilesdavies (Reply 4):
Great story and sums up the absolute mess London airports are in!

Quoting DL767captain (Reply 17):
I don't understand, how did he land at lhr if he was diverted wouldn't some one at lhr have told him when they were bringing him in? And if they were already on the ground why would they leave

You all need to read the story. The aircraft was very late leaving Dubai because EK had loaded it too heavily for the ambient temperature. Bad management by EK or BAA? Not BAA!

The aircraft was going to arrive too late to avoid the government enforced night curfew at LHR for the return flight. Was this the fault of EK management or BAA? Obviously EK.

EK bussed the passengers for the return flight from LHR to LGW before the revised ETA of the flight from DXB to beat the LHR curfew. Clearly EK management's and not BAA's decision.

EK failed to tell the EK pilot to divert to LGW. It is also clear that since EK management do not communicate directly with LHR ATC that we should flame not EK management but LHR ATC.

So EK management made a whole series of blunders and it is all down to BAA!

LHR and BAA are not the greatest performers in the world but those criticising them need to make sure they have at least read the thread and its contents before they get their flame guns out and this includes Door5right who clearly had not read what he posted when he started this thread with:

Anyone interested in the chaos and appalling management of LHR these days may enjoy the following tale

So he comes out of this as badly as EK does. Will he apologise for flaming BAA and misleading so many of you? I doubt it. But we will see.

AirTranTUS

Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:56 am

Quote:
Ticking equally inexorably were the meters of the taxis that had, in at least one case, gone from Gatwick to Heathrow and back again.

I don't understand the significance of this quote. Will the taxi passenger have to pay for the travel between LGW and LHR and back, even though they were not inside?
I love ASO!

ikramerica

Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:00 am

how does anyone arrive at blame for BAA for this?

It's all EK's fault, 100%. Diverting a plane to LGW was a choice by EK due to a total F-up at DXB (what, they didn't know it was hot and loaded a full jet with extra cargo without fault? please...).

The plane landed well before curfew. The LHR pax could have been offloaded at LHR and the plane ferried to LGW before curfew. It does not take 1:45 to offload a plane and do a quick prep for a ferry flight. That's how much time they had to do it. Instead they sat on the ground for over an hour.

There must be more to this story, or the times are wrong, because otherwise, I just don't get it.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

justplanes

Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:06 am

Quoting LHRBlueSkies (Reply 12):
What do you mean? I'm sure they would have refuelled the a/c with sufficient to get to LGW and any diversion point... they may have been badly organised, but corner-cutting is not an EK issue!

OK but in that case how do explain the fact that they would have sat there for more than half an hour but been unable to offload the pax/bags... that makes even less sense.
You are at your destination airport and have to sit there while they refuel the aircraft to take you to the wrong airport?

Leezyjet

Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:17 am

The passengers should have demanded to get off the a/c. If the airline refused, then they could technically be accused of holding you hostage against your will especially when you are at your destination anyway and they are trying to take you somewhere else !!. Although if you are not at your destination, things are a little different !!.

Get one or 2, or more passengers to refuse to sit down, and then see how quickly a set of steps arrives to let them off - more than likely accompanied by the Police though, but at least you would be off in the right place !!.

The a/c would have had to take on fuel for the LHR-LGW leg anyway which probably explains why they were on the ground for so long at LHR. During that time, there was ample oppertunity to offload the passengers and bags.

Big screw up by EK I'm afraid.

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

ikramerica

Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:21 am

Quoting Leezyjet (Reply 28):
The a/c would have had to take on fuel for the LHR-LGW leg anyway which probably explains why they were on the ground for so long at LHR. During that time, there was ample oppertunity to offload the passengers and bags.

Yep. Because this was not a weather diversion, but one specifically for the benefit of EK, they really had no right to take you against your will after arrival, at least from a human perspective. Someone who knows aviation law might be able to enlighten us on the legal perspective, since law does not always dictate the humane thing to do.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

qantasguy

Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:23 am

So why did LHR ATC not have anything to say to the Captain about his approach to the airport? Do ATC allow just anyone to land if they radio a request? I would think ATC would have had an idea of who was expected, and when these guys showed up, alerted the Captain. I do however stand to be corrected.
Airplanes Flown on..B-727-100, B-727-200, DC-9, F-27, B-707, B-717, B-737, B-747SP, B-747-100, B-747-200, B-747-300, B74

Door5Right

Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:27 am

Will he apologise for flaming BAA and misleading so many of you?

I am not saying this is directly BAA's fault. But surely it does seem extraordinary an aircraft lands at the airport it was originally destined for, despite being diverted by EK's Network Control Centre to LGW even if the pilot did not know about it, but is unable to off load pax and bags?

This was, as others have pointed put, well before the curfew restrictions would have come into place. This is not some hicksville airport in the country. This is one of the words major international airports! Passengers for the return flight were being checked in and put onto coaches and despatched to Gatwick - according to the article - so presumably the gound handling agents in whatever terminal knew what was happening. Presumably too the BAA Duty Manager for that terminal was informed.

Any of you guys an air traffic controller out there? Surely ATC would, or should, have known if a diversion was planned? I am not sure I understand how people on the ground at BAA knew but ATC and the pilot did not?
My soul is in the sky...

Leezyjet

Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:32 am

As far as ATC would be concerned, the flight plan destination is LHR, and unless the flight plan is re-filed with LGW as the destination, they would be non the wiser, a bit like the Captain.

If the plan had been re-filed, and the crew not been made aware, the en-route sector controller would have handed them over to Gatwick Approach rather than Heathrow, and at this point the crew could have queried the destination if they were still not aware at that stage.

Smile

EK156

Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:51 am

I am going to ask some pilots in EK about this flight cause this is weird as hell!!!

But I have to say that if BAA were informed about the diversion then approach at LHR would already know and divert the pilot or atleast inform him to contact EK OPS. Seems that all the initial measure on ground were done but they were either done:

1) Late... which means EK was landing when the whole thing happens which makes it weird cause it seems passengers and staff on ground were already informed about the diversion... but by how long? In that case EK messed up

2) Early ... which means EK OPS and LHR Radar and Approach (BAA) were no informed which is also EK's fault!

EK messed up in managing this flight and I think they know it... but this is one weird story... how can the ground staff know and divert all passengers to Gatwick, whilst EK OPS and BAA not know and allow the flight to land??? This is very weird... seems like someone in London from EK Handlers or Management Team or maybe even EK OPS messed up really bad and is now being grilled!!!

vv701

Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:54 am

Quoting Qantasguy (Reply 30):
So why did LHR ATC not have anything to say to the Captain about his approach to the airport? Do ATC allow just anyone to land if they radio a request?

Flight EK005 was not "just anyone". It was a flight scheduled to land at LHR. It was also a flight where the Captain had filed a flight plan naming LHR as the destination.

EK management clearly made an operational decision to divert the aircraft but failed to tell anyone who mattered. No responsibility can be foisted on some innocent third party even if it is BAA's subsidiary, Heathrow Airport Ltd.

As we know from other after take-off incidents, communications between airline management and their Captains during a flight is far from uncommon. It is just that on this occasion EK management failed to communicate their decision and then compounded it by ferrying passengers from their expected destination, LHR, to an entirely different airport. On the other hand I very much doubt that there is ever any direct communication between airline management and any airport control tower except in a grave emergency.

ekskycargo370

Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:01 am

I was on duty that night,all I can is it is a total embarassment!

UAL-Fan

Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:08 am

And here I thought completely messed up air travel was unique to the U.S. Nice to hear other Countries are sharing in our chaos!

LHRBlueSkies

Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:13 am

Quoting EKSkycargo370 (Reply 35):
total embarassment!

understatement of the year!!!!

And as we have said, the a/c landed well before curfew, so could have been turned around, and if they had spoken to the ODM then probably got dispensation to depart after 2329L.

2 words - Bad Planning!

Emirates773ER

Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:31 am

Quoting EKSkycargo370 (Reply 35):
I was on duty that night,all I can is it is a total embarassment!

Did the passengers get compensated?
The Truth is Out There ---- Face It!!!!!

Leezyjet

Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:36 am

Quoting EK156 (Reply 33):
LHR Radar and Approach (BAA)

Quoting EK156 (Reply 33):
if BAA were informed about the diversion then approach at LHR would already know and divert the pilot

BAA and ATC are 2 completely seperate companies.

ATC is owned and operated by NATS, National Air Traffic Services which used to be government owned, until they decided to sell it off along with everything else. It is now owned by a consortium of UK airlines.

I imagine what happend was EK's ops staff in DXB (they would have made the decision) advised EK staff at LHR, who then would have passed this info on to the relevant departments, such as check-in/ticket desk/loaders/cargo and they would have advised the BAA terminal Duty manager of the situation.

As far as the BAA would be concerned, everything else is the airlines problem, all they needed to know for was so they didn't allocate a baggage chute and to be advised that coaches would be coming to the coach park.

BAA TDM would probably either have told the Airport Duty Manager, who is the highest person on duty at LHR incharge of thw whole LHR operation (the one you see driving a VW Sharon with ADM on the side), or not bothered as they didn't really need to know.

The ADM is pretty much the only person from BAA who is in regular contact with ATC/NATS regarding serious operational issues, and again if they had actually been advised by the T3 TDM that the EK was going to LGW, they would just assume the airline had taken care of everything else and not bothered telling ATC as one a/c going to another destination isn't very serious unless it is an emergency.

So again, nothing at all to do with ATC or BAA screwing up - only one company screwed up - EK.

Smile

theginge

Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:09 am

Quoting Qantasguy (Reply 30):
So why did LHR ATC not have anything to say to the Captain about his approach to the airport? Do ATC allow just anyone to land if they radio a request? I would think ATC would have had an idea of who was expected, and when these guys showed up, alerted the Captain. I do however stand to be corrected.

As has been said above ATC will only be aware of diversions if the flight plan is refiled, if EK ops don;t tell them then they won;t know so the aircraft would continue to LHR as normal. For a diversion of that nature you would not need to refile the flight plan. All EK ops would need to do was tell the pilot and then he would advise ATC when he was in UK airspace, then its easy from there.

I am sure there is some truth to the article but I am sure there are bits missing from it as well. It would make sense for them to divert the flight to LGW though if they weren;t going to make departure before the Night Jet Ban and weren't going to get dispensation.

BoeingBoy

Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:46 am

Totally mis-leading. The flight was not diverted, it landed exactly where it was destined. Whatever happened after landing at Heathrow is a totally different story.
10% is the best we can do

cumulus

Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:15 am

What really annoys me is people like Simon Calder are self appointed "experts" at all things relating to travel, he's not. Bit like Jeremy Clarkson and cars, the man is a tool.

Calder knows f*ck all about the intracacies of running a airline and the logistics and operational demand involved. His opinion is based purely as a passenger, anyone who can spell can do that. Granted, this is a balls up of the first order by EK but so what? Nobody died, nobody would have done so who his Calder to write a condesending and patronising atricle?

All major airlines have major screw ups on a regualr basis, like any other operation of a similar magnitude.

Calder, if on the off chance you read this you are a self righteous pompous arrogant little twat and your pompous and patronising style of writing is indicative of a small little individual (that you are) who is full of his own self importance who can only get a job writing for left wing papers that nobody, except students and the umemployed, read.
What Goes Up Must Come Down, Hopefully In One Piece!

trintocan

Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:25 am

I actually know somebody who was on that flight, he was returning to the UK from India and told me the story about the plane landing at LHr and then diverting to LGW after they had been on the ground for awhile. I found the story to be very strange indeed! As I now read the article I have a clearer picture. This is entirely the fault of EK whose despatchers messed things up very badly. The flight was indeed scheduled for LHR and landed there, why did they not offload the passengers there before operating an empty positioning flight? Alternatively, if there were a problem with the flight and it would have been too late to turn around at LHR and be on its way ahead of curfew, then why not decide that the flight should go to LGW at the outset, plan the route to get the plane there and shuttle the outgoing passengers by bus to LGW after they checked in at LHR?

It seems as though somebody at EK's management decided to try to see whether they could get away from paying higher costs of diverting the plane, moving passengers to and fro, etc. by flying for LHR and hoping for the best. All in all this was a very poor episode from this airline.

TrinToCan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

NorthstarBoy

Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:41 am

the one thing i don't get is, why inconvenience two sets of passengers? why not unload the heathrow bound passengers, their baggage and cargo at heathrow and fly the aircraft empty to gatwick to pickup the passengers on EK 006?

i guess i find it hard to believe that they can't get a 777 unloaded and pushed off again in time to meet the curfew
Yes, I'd like to see airbus go under so Boeing can have their customers!

ADXMatt

Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:51 am

Quoting Sanjet (Reply 8):
I mean pilots usually call their company OPS at the approaching airport to advise them of their ETA.

Thing of the past. ACARS send a message automatically to the ops printer with ETA, WCHR, UMNR etc.

Quoting LHRBlueSkies (Reply 21):
a rule of thumb is, if you speak to the airport in advance, they are normally pretty accommodating in letting you break the curfew, because they don't want 300+ pax stranded at their airport overnight.

I don't know about LHR but some others like SNA will not budge more then 5 or 10 min.

You don't know the conversations between the Capt. and SOCC after landing at LHR. You would think that since LGW was closed with the Thomas Cook jet incident that they would have changed the plan and let them deplane the pax at LHR then ferry over to LGW.

I can't believe that they took off from LHR while LGW was still closed with the disabled Thomas Cook aircraft. Even if it was re-opened and with the volume of traffic waiting to land at LGW you would think they would hold on the ground at LHR until there was a space open. Why add another a/c to a holding pattern.

vv701

Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:07 am

Quoting Trintocan (Reply 43):
The flight was indeed scheduled for LHR and landed there, why did they not offload the passengers there before operating an empty positioning flight?

Quoting NorthstarBoy (Reply 44):
why not unload the heathrow bound passengers, their baggage and cargo at heathrow and fly the aircraft empty to gatwick

My assumption is that the LHR EK staff and sub contractors had all gone home. They, unlike its Captain, had been told the aircraft was diverting to LGW. I mean you would not keep baggage handlers and the like on overtime waiting to service an aircraft that was late and had been diverted to another airport, would you?

Leezyjet

Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:47 am

Quoting VV701 (Reply 46):
I mean you would not keep baggage handlers and the like on overtime waiting to service an aircraft that was late and had been diverted to another airport, would you?

Quoting Leezyjet (Reply 9):
I know who does Emirates ramp handling, and certainly the ramp staff would have been there until after midnight, so the a/c could have been offloaded.

Most wouldn't have been on OVERtime, they would have been on normal time, as the a/c is a normal regular scheduled flight, so the staff would be there anyway. The ramp staff would not have been sent home, they would have been utilised elsewhere in the operation on other contracts/airlines. There are hardly enough of them as it is !!.

Smile

WunalaYann

Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:50 am

Quoting Leezyjet (Reply 39):
BAA and ATC are 2 completely seperate companies.

I will contribute my modest  twocents  and point to this very interesting comment. The split between ATC and airport management probably has a role in the communication breakdown.

Let us be serious. This event suggests that airplanes are allowed to roam freely in some of the busiest skies in the world with no one asking double-check questions such as "hey, by the way, you're going to LGW, aren't you?". Answer would be "well, I don't know, depends if we're in the mood or not"?

Ridiculous.  sarcastic 

Where is the communication between ATC, BAA and EK?!?!

9VSIO

Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:36 am

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 1):

Quoting 777STL (Reply 7):

LOL When I first read Kaittak's post, I thought he meant air traffic! Hence I got very confused by your reply, 777STL.

Quoting WunalaYann (Reply 48):
Let us be serious. This event suggests that airplanes are allowed to roam freely in some of the busiest skies in the world with no one asking double-check questions such as "hey, by the way, you're going to LGW, aren't you?". Answer would be "well, I don't know, depends if we're in the mood or not"?

I fail to see how this event suggests anything like it! Could you clarify please?

As far as I can tell, no fault lies with BAA and ATC...
Me: (Lining up on final) I shall now select an aiming point. || Instructor: Well, I hope it's the runway...