727LOVER
Topic Author

Former F/A Recalls Flight From HELL....FUN Read

Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:31 am

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20053546/

i don't know what's worse, being a pax or a crew mwmber on this flight. Don't know the airline, sorry.
Love Trumps Hate

ehho

RE: Former F/A Recalls Flight From HELL....FUN Read

Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:54 am

The only thing that comes to mind after reading this is that either the Captain hadn't used his authority as necessary, or the writer is hiding the fact that he/she did, given that the Captain is not mentioned once in the story, although he/she must have interacted many times during the crisis.

Basically, if a riot starts onboard, it is enough reason to divert.
"Get your facts first. Then you may distort them as much as you please" -- Mark Twain

EHCPH

Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:11 am

Very interesting story indeed... Amazing how everything can go wrong at one time...

Sounds like Tower Air to me...

CanadianNorth

Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:25 am

If I was a f/a on that flight I probably would have ended up saying "f*** this" and quitting half way there as well. Amazing how stupid many passengers are, making it as if it was the flight attendants fault that the airplane was broken, their crew time ran out, the bridge broke, etc.

CanadianNorth
What could possibly go wrong?

Poitin

Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:29 am

Sounds like an ideal candidate for Mike Rowe who is looking for more "Dirty Jobs". This would be right up his alley, what with all the sewers he crawls in.
Now so, have ye time fer a pint?

PanAm747

Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:59 am

Here's a question: If, as stated in this story, an airline refused to let their crew disembark from going over their legal limit, and the crew is "forced to fly", so to speak, who is to be prosecuted? The airline? Or the individual crew members?

Also, if an airline cancels a flight due to mechanical reasons, aren't they supposed to provide accomodations?

Quote:

Agreed - sounding very much like a TLV-JFK flight.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

Curiousflyer

Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:16 am

Tower is not a major airline (although certainly a prime candidate, I flew them once, unforgettable!)... I read/heard many stories of major US airlines playing that very trick on crews (pulling the jetway so they cannot get off when they become illegal). I have no link to one here though.

Boeing737WG

Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:14 am

F/A's don't deseve to take that kind of abuse. People should be glad that they are there to help them insted of verbaly abusing them. I feel sorry for the F/A's on that flight.  flamed ,that's how i would feel if i was an F/A on that flight.

Boeing737WG
Yay, I won baid-aids! :)

san747

Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:57 am

I feel very sorry for that crew. Amazingly bad luck for all those negative occurences to happen at once, and they didn't deserve the treatment they got. Also, what's up with the attitude that gate agent had? Good to hear he was fired for his conduct.
Scotty doesn't know...

MCOflyer

Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:12 am

If I ever meet this guy, I'll buy him a beer. If he is reading this: Thank you for the courage to stand up and thank everyone. Not everyone can do this and you are one who can.

What airline was this?

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

AirTranTUS

Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:43 am

Quote:
The gate agent replied that this was impossible — there was no replacement crew, no vacant hotels in the city and, besides, the mechanics had fixed the problem.

"Oh, no they haven't!" a voice shouted out from the cockpit.

I snickered at that part.

This sounds like a very bad flight to be on. But the insults and spitting were really unnecessary.
I love ASO!

futuresdpdcop

Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:47 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 9):
Thank you for the courage to stand up and thank everyone. Not everyone can do this and you are one who can.

It wasn't his choice. He said all the bathrooms had been taken by other crew so he was forced to be out in the passenger cabin.

MCOflyer

Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:49 am

Quoting FutureSDPDcop (Reply 11):

It wasn't his choice. He said all the bathrooms had been taken by other crew so he was forced to be out in the passenger cabin.

He could have went into the cockpit. But he choose to stand out.

Hunter

aloha73g

Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:52 am

Passengers handle bad situations very differently.

When I first started at HA last November we were in the midst of an aircraft shortage, so many flights were rescheduled to operate between 4 and 20 hours earlier or later than originally planned. Passengers were contacted in advance and given travel vouchers between $200 and $500 depending on the length of the delay (I think HA did a great job handling this situation).

The 2nd flight I ever worked was a 12 hour delayed HNL-SEA-HNL turn leaving at 2am with the entire crew (all 9 F/As) being my classmates from training....yes we were nervous. I ended up being the First F/A (lucky me!) and even though we were all very new I dont think the passengers could tell. When we got to the gate the passengers were sprawled out everywhere sleeping. Most of them were glad to be getting home and the flight went pretty smoothly.

During deplaning most of the passengers were ok.....but one guy yelled one word in my face as he stepped off, "INTOLERABLE." I thanked him and said goodbye. A few weeks later we got a compliment letter for the flight saying how good we all did even though it was so late....blah, blah, blah.

Moral of the story, some people are half glass full types, others are half glass empty types.

INTOLERABLE!!

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

BCALBOY

Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:51 am

Quoting Aloha73G (Reply 13):
The 2nd flight I ever worked was a 12 hour delayed HNL-SEA-HNL turn leaving at 2am with the entire crew (all 9 F/As) being my classmates from training

Sounds very dubious to me ......does the FAA have regulations reg the nbr of 'ROOKY' F/As on any given Flt.

C'ant believe they wud allow the In Charge Crew Member to br straight out of training school !!!

Certainly wouldn-t happen in Europe.

kubus

Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:59 am

This story sounds really familiar for some reason. Wasn't there a trip report a while back with A.netter side of this?

ualcsr

Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:17 pm

Quoting EHCPH (Reply 2):

LOL!!! This would have been Tower Air on a good day!!

Charles79

Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:39 pm

The one thing that always irritates me is when people say that F/As are nothing but waiters/waitresses at 30K feet. They are there for our safety, to listen for weird/odd sounds during flight, and to evacuate the plane in an emergency. I always think about that AF A343 that burst into flames in Toronto a few years back. It was a perfect example of how the F/As can save lives in an emergency, just so happen that they can also bring you your food.

I always make the point of saying thanks to the flight crew after I fly, if only more of my fellow passengers did the same.

P.S. Any guesses as to which airline he worked for?

Cheers!

Charles

D328

Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:46 pm

So I think the captain should have left the seat belt sign on. I would have. Even though I see people get up all the time when it is on. Tell the F/A's to sit down and strap in, and say looks to be turbulence ahead. I see F/A's all the time come over the p.a. telling people to sit down. Or claim you are sick and can't fly.
If I was a F/A and someone spit on me I would have called the cops, or if it was a guy I would have wanted to deck the guy in the face (if it was a guy). Isn't that interfering with a crew member, and now in the US that is a bad thing to do.
I guess this is why I am in flight school and never want to be in the back with the F/A's. I couldn't handle it, I am not that great with rude people. I respect them for what they do and for what they have to put up with!

aloha73g

Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:58 pm

Quoting BCALBOY (Reply 14):
Sounds very dubious to me ......does the FAA have regulations reg the nbr of 'ROOKY' F/As on any given Flt.

No such regulations. We were all qualified as far as safety goes. It rarely happens, but did to my class at Hawaiian because of the rescheduled flights where an entire crew would be aseembled from the standby F/As.

For most of my classmates before this trip we flew interisland and 1 mainland flight then we all ended up together on one flight.

My 1st few days at Hawaiian:
6 landing interisland day,
2-day San Francisco trip which was rescheduled to operate 2 hours late (had a great senior crew!!).
2 landing interisland (called in for ONE 3am flight to Maui with 12 people!!)
Rescheduled HNL-SEA-HNL turn, all 9 F/As were my classmates
9 landing Interisland day (CRAZY day of crew shortages, my 1st time flying as 1st F/A interisland!!!)
Rescheduled HNL-SEA-HNL turn, all 9 F/As were my classmates, ferried the plane HNL-SEA (very fun!)
Deadhead HNL-LAX-PDX, work PDX-HNL. all 8 F/As were my classmates

What was really funny was 3 of my classmates had to do an interisland day together on their 1st day!! They said the pilots and some F/A commuters on the flights helped them out alot.

We used it as an opportunity to try different positions without being junioed into them and all worked together to get the job done.

I got the "honor" of flying as First F/A because I was the class valedictorian from training and they guilt-tripped me into doing it.

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

Philadelphia1

Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:59 pm

ugh. shame on air travel in situations like that.  thumbsdown 

Well here are some clues in the article.

1. 11 hour flight back to the US
2. Crew hour limit with no replacement, so we can rull out it being a hub for that airline.
3. Convention intown and all rooms were booked (later admitted that there were actually some rooms, so maybe a major city)

Im guessing maybe
CO TLV-EWR
DL SVO-JFK
CO LOS-EWR
any south american route.
Who knows, im tired and just throwing out flights, lol

Quoting Kubus (Reply 15):
This story sounds really familiar for some reason. Wasn't there a trip report a while back with A.netter side of this?

There was a recent CO flight from AMS i think to EWR where the toilets broke and there was a big delay. not sure tho.

SuseJ772

Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:23 pm

My question is after parousing the guys website, I saw this photo. Did this actually happen? It looks real to me.
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>

SuseJ772

Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:26 pm

On another note, I think he flew for United. Most of the photos on his site appear to be United (or Star Alliance). And he I think he flies for an American airline - so that would make sense.
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>

D328

Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:27 pm

Quoting SuseJ772 (Reply 21):
My question is after parousing the guys website, I saw this photo. Did this actually happen? It looks real to me.

Fake.

Philadelphia1

Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:31 pm

Quoting D328 (Reply 23):

Fake.

concur...

D328

Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:44 pm

From this photo? Or this test on this 747?

http://www.time.com/time/europe/photoessays/lockerbie/8.html

Edit- Added some text.

[Edited 2007-08-07 06:45:30]

AirTranTUS

Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:44 pm

Fake, but there was an actual demonstration where a few grams of a substance did that damage to a 747. Just shows you cargo in the hold should be screened.
I love ASO!

wingsofman72

Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:15 pm

CO has never flown LOS-EWR, nearly did, but was non-starter. I agree Tower Air sounds like a good bet.

PanAm747

Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:24 pm

The picture you show is doctored.

The plane that was blown up was a 747 being used as a control case in an evaluation of a new type of lining for cargo containers of commercial planes. The plane pictured did not contain the new material, and consequently, the retired jet was shattered.

Here's a link:

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/pao/History/presrp97/faa.htm

It is amazing what digital photo-shopping can do.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

n710ps

Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:28 pm

Wow, I recall Tower, that was my uncles last gig. What a joke of a company.
There is plenty of room for Gods animals, right next to the mashed potatoes!

Boeingluvr

Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:14 pm

Fake picture. Looks a little bit more like how the airline is run then an actual accident!

bwohlgemuth

Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:24 pm

Quoting N710PS (Reply 29):

Yeah, my dad was lead 747 captain there for a while. There's been quite a few jokes from that place.

NorthstarBoy

Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:57 pm

if i had to guess, i'd say maybe UA, and as for the a/c type, probably a 763, my logic being i don't think you can hear the flight crew from the midship door of a 777 and if it were a 744, with the cockpit upstairs, i'd think you couldn't hear them at all.

it reminds me of an experience i had on HP that caused me to boycott them for 2 years, where they filled the plane completely full, every last seat taken, and we sat at the gate for two hours, they wouldn't cancel the flight, they provided no updates on how long the delay might last (it was a weather delay, chicago in winter). i was so disgusted i got up and walked off the airplane. I few southwest home the next day. that in and of itself was a fun experience, we almost went out 2000 pounds under fueled and we hit an airpocket on descent.
Yes, I'd like to see airbus go under so Boeing can have their customers!

airtran717

Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:43 pm

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 5):
Here's a question: If, as stated in this story, an airline refused to let their crew disembark from going over their legal limit, and the crew is "forced to fly", so to speak, who is to be prosecuted? The airline? Or the individual crew members?

Possibly both. Most likely both. In crew reg issues, the individual crew member is ultimately responsible for their duty time though. It's a raw deal for the crew, but if the Feds wanted to pursue that, they'd be supported by the duty regs.

If the company refuses to let them off, they should call their country's aviation safety authority immediately and report it. They can then walk off the flight and it's now the company's liability if they punish the crew. There is no legal reason they can be forced to fly over their duty time for the day in this context... there is one term/example that would allow it, but I won't convolute the explanation at this point... but crew will know it... Legal to start/legal to finish... if they were to go over their duty time for the day in this case, they are compensated for it the next rest period. Compensatory Rest.

[Edited 2007-08-07 15:59:41]

Starlionblue

Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:56 pm

What always amazes me is how abusive pax are. I was recently on a very delayed flight that was canceled because a ground stop was putting the crew over their legal limit. The Captain apologized and said they were by law not permitted to work any more since they had been at it since the morning (this was 10pm).

One of the pax behind me started calling out "cowards". I told him that there's nothing the crew can do. They are not legally allowed to fly. He then turned on me and said when we got to baggage claim he would kick my ass and throw me against the wall. I am not a big guy and this was a member of the professional LaCrosse team on board. six feet of muscle and testosterone. I tried to explain again but he kept threatening. In the end I just smiled and said "whatever dude".

We got out of the plane and I was walking towards baggage claim. He called out to me, obviously wanting a fight. I kept walking. In hindsight I should maybe have let him punch me in the middle of an airport. He obviously wanted to. The ensuing police action and lawsuit would have been just what the a**hole deserved.

Apart from the digression, my point is that while crew are sometimes less than perfect, in most cases they work hard and want to get there just as much as we do.

Quoting NorthstarBoy (Reply 32):
I few southwest home the next day. that in and of itself was a fun experience, we almost went out 2000 pounds under fueled and we hit an airpocket on descent.

You're blaming the airline for an air pocket?
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

EXAAUADL

Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:47 pm

10:1 this was NWA flight from NRT.

MCOflyer

Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:22 am

Quoting EXAAUADL (Reply 35):
10:1 this was NWA flight from NRT.

disagree. If it was in NRT, wouldn't they have had a spare plane since NRT is one of NW's hubs?

ten bucks on UA or AA.

Hunter

787EWR

Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:27 am

Fake - You would have heard about that one.

BigOrange

Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:33 am

Sounds like last week's USeless Airways flight from MUC to PHL  Wink

Boeing744

Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:04 am

That really sounds like a terrible flight that the FA experienced.

I'll add my nightmare-flight to the list. I was coming home from a vacation near Santa Clara, Cuba. We were supposed to fly SNU-YVR (via YYC to let pax off) on an Air Transat A310. Everyone arrived at Santa Clara airport to check in at the ONE existing counter. After waiting in that line for about an hour we were all crammed into the departure area, which was literally a single room (with a bathroom), which in square feet was most definitely smaller than the inside dimensions of our A310. Departure time crept up, and the finally the Cuban TS rep. started yelling for everyone to listen to him (no PA system). He announced that there would be a delay of about 2 hours. He said that we would all receive 10CUC food vouchers. That was a nice gesture, but the one food place ran out of food pretty quickly, so people bought rum. So we sat there (actually, no, we standed, because there weren't enough seats) for another 2 hours in that cramped little room. The 2 hour point came, and the TS rep. yelled out again that there would be a longer delay. He explained that the problem was the cabin crew was supposed to come in on a chartered plane from Montego Bay, but their plane had broken down. We waited, and waited some more. Surprisingly most passengers took this whole thing really well, and the only yelling was done by passengers fighting with each other. Another 2 hours passed, and I finally saw the cabin-crew's old Yakolev land at the tiny airport. Once they were on-board the plane they started to board us immediately, after about a 5 hour delay. That means we were all in that one room for over 7 hours.

The problems didn't quite end when we got on board the aircraft. It was about 40 degrees inside there! At least the room we were crammed into had fans and such... but this was just torture. The flight attendants promised that it would get cooler as soon as we took off, but this was a lie. It remained extremely hot for the first hour or so of flight.

After that the flight was fairly uneventful. We had to pick up a new crew in Calgary, but we arrived in YVR about 4 hours late (at 3 or 4AM if I remember right).

Overall a very bad experience. The TS rep. did handle it well (using his VERY limited resources), and the pax were actually all wonderful (we had gotten to know most of them in our week in Cuba (there were only 3 resorts in the area)). The whole problem was the extremely small Santa Clara airport. Not to bash Cuban airports though, because Havana airport is great.

cytz_pilot

Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:26 am

Ugh, sounds like a horrible experience for all concerned. The behavior of some of those passengers made me cringe, I don't know what it is about air travel that causes normal everyday people to become impatient and nasty. I remember one flight on AC SFO-YYZ, totally normal flight until around Chicago we diverted south to avoid a thick line of quick-moving thunderstorms which stretched all the way to our destination. The pilots managed to get the plane into a shrinking alleyway between cells on approach, and we landed at about 9:30pm. 5 minutes later the airport shut down to wait for the weather to clear. We were sitting 30 feet from our gate for about an hour and a half while the female passenger sitting next to me huffed and puffed the whole time. After getting sick of this, I commented loudly to my wife that 'at least we wouldn't be spending the night in Buffalo or Ottawa like other Toronto-bound passengers.' I thought I heard the word 'smartass' mumbled shortly thereafter.

Morvious

Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:12 am

Well, I love being on an airplane and I always dislike the fact that the flight is "already" over, but this is something else.

I can understand it why the passengers reacted on the flightcrew though. They are the one that are facing the customer in the first place. It doesn't happen only in the air, its happening in every industry on every place on this planet.

Love the reactin of the granny at the end. Atleast someone with working brains on the flight!
have a good day, Stefan van Hierden

DiscoverCSG

Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:20 am

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 5):
Agreed - sounding very much like a TLV-JFK flight.

Except for the early evening departure time - this would put the plane back in the US after midnight.

My money is on a return from Asia (UA KIX-ORD?) or deep South America (AA EZE-JFK?).

NorthstarBoy

Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:02 am

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 34):

not in the least, Southwest is good, but they can't control the weather, just noting that on that one particular flight from Stl-Oma, we almost went out 2000 pounds underfueled, a situation that was discovered by the groundstaff and rectified (the jetway actually hit the side of the aircraft to keep it from being pushed back) and on the same flight, after a very bumpy ride from Stl-Oma, we hit the airpocket descending over the Missouri river into oma. there was a collective gasp from the passengers as the plane dropped out from under us then bounced back up again. I blame HP for alot of things that happened the previous day: lying to me about being able to do anything with two other nonref paper tickets i had with me at the time, packing the plane completely full then announcing the delay and keeping us on the airplane for a further two hours with almost zero information (i kept saying to myself, an update every thirty minutes, even if it was just to say they had no new information would have been nice). i reached my breaking point when it became clear they had no intention of canceling the flight but intended to keep us on that airplane until they got a clearance to go, but rather than go postal on the crew, i simply got my jacket, got up and walked off the airplane.
Yes, I'd like to see airbus go under so Boeing can have their customers!

advancedkid

Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:18 am

Hi There,
Form the description I get the feeling it was a DC-10 or L1011.
But must be a second class airline ala Tower Air that operated
one of the types, but cannot think of a particular airline.

Any thoughts about the airline or the 11 hr route??

Best regards,

Advanced  Smile

ACFA

Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:24 am

Here is what I posted on the MSN forum in response to the article:

I have to take the time here to thank James Wysong for posting his experience from a crew perspective -- which is one that many never hear from. As a flight attendant myself, I understand what that flight must've been like. I too have been in that situation where I have taken unnecessary abuse from passengers. That man that spat at the crewmembers face should have had the police called on him, and been barred from travel as far as I'm concerned. Crewmembers should not have to work in a hostile environment as it is a safety concern if a near riot breaks out in the air, anyone displaying unnecessary hostility (beyond just complaining) should have been denied boarding.

The flying public needs to understand that we don't like irregular operations either, often during long delays the crewmembers are not even paid! And they are expected to defuse and manage the situation. The flight attendants were right to walk off when their time expired, its not safe to have a sleep deprived crew managing the exits on the aircraft in case a situation necessitates an evacuation. It was the passengers' duty to respect the crew's right to walk off if they had any concern for their own safety at all. The inflight crew cannot be faulted for the maintenence issues; however they recieve most of the abuse because they are the only uniformed personnel that passengers can see. I'm glad that ground agent was fired for causing more hostility amongst the passengers. Ground staff don't have easy jobs either, and I can imagine they must take more abuse than flight crews do.

EXAAUADL

Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:50 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 36):
disagree. If it was in NRT, wouldn't they have had a spare plane since NRT is one of NW's hubs?

ten bucks on UA or AA.

Ivre heard something like this on NW before. Does NW have hot spare 744s in NRT?

Zone1

RE: Former F/A Recalls Flight From HELL....FUN Rea

Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:18 am

Quoting Philadelphia1 (Reply 20):
Im guessing maybe
CO TLV-EWR
DL SVO-JFK
CO LOS-EWR

It has to be either AA or UA because he states that there is a business and first class section.

Quoting SuseJ772 (Reply 22):
On another note, I think he flew for United. Most of the photos on his site appear to be United (or Star Alliance). And he I think he flies for an American airline - so that would make sense.

A good start here.

Quoting NorthstarBoy (Reply 32):
if i had to guess, i'd say maybe UA, and as for the a/c type, probably a 763, my logic being i don't think you can hear the flight crew from the midship door of a 777 and if it were a 744, with the cockpit upstairs, i'd think you couldn't hear them at all.

I think it is a 777 because he said there were 300 people. He probably rounded up a tad from a typical 3 class 777 seat count.

I couldn't get that many routes to be 10 hours long, use a 777, and leave at 5.
NRT-ORD is close, but over 11 hours long. NRT-SFO might be a winner depending on when this occurred and if UA ever had a 777 on this route. It is scheduled to depart 9:13 on a 747 currently, so a little bit longer if they use a 777. My best guess would be this because most EZE, GRU, or GIG flights leave after 5:00pm. Another plus for the NRT-SFO route is that he said it circled for 2 hours. SFO is fairly delay prone if there is bad fog. A frequent SFO flyer can tell me if 11am is particularly a bad time for fog.
/// U N I T E D

SHUPirate1

Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:45 am

Zone1-Isn't, or wasn't, NRT-SEA a 777, with continuing service to Denver?
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

Starlionblue

Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:53 am

Quoting NorthstarBoy (Reply 43):
Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 34):

not in the least,

Ok. Just checking.  Wink
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo