ORDfan

Flight Delays -- Thoughts/solutions: 787-3?

Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:36 am

Many of us have heard about and probably even experienced the recent surge of flight delays (I know I have) across the US. There are many theories/explanations as to why American flights are becoming increasingly delayed, from a shortage of pilots to a plethora of RJ traffic to antiquated airport design, etc., etc.

When flying throughout Asia last summer, however, even in monsoon-happy Thailand, the few delays I experienced were neither as extensive nor as prolonged as those that I've experienced in the US. However, it's no secret that Asian carriers routinely fly widebody aircraft between medium and even relatively short city-pairs, i.e. 777s on SIN-BKK or even A330s KUL-BKK.

I began wondering if maybe it was high-time that American carriers started adopting a similar strategy, even if it means sacrificing frequency for scale? I know that there are some heavily traveled domestic routes (some seasonal) that do employ widebodies like AA on DFW-MIA or DL on ATL-MIA or several of the legacies on transcon NYC-LAX. But is it time for this to become more common between shorter city pairs say the overly crowded, continously delayedCHI-NYC? To that end, should more US carriers begin looking at the 787-3 as a means to accomplish this? Personally, I wouldn't mind sacrifing some frequency for larger aircraft with fewer delays....

[Edited 2007-08-07 02:37:51]

[Edited 2007-08-07 02:38:26]

A340313X

RE: Flight Delays -- Thoughts/solutions: 787-3?

Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:45 am

It's a good plan in my eyes but it won't happen anytime soon in the same way we won't all be driving fuel cell cars within the next ten years. It'd help the consumer and the earth too but it doesn't make the companies as much money.

siromega

RE: Flight Delays -- Thoughts/solutions: 787-3?

Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:18 am

I don't think airlines will give up frequency unless someone makes them. Congress, airports, FAA someone. What i'd like to see is having wb aircraft on call in bad weather to get everyone where they're supposed to go without stranding people overnight. Of course that wont happen either because airlines arent responsible for wx delays.