kingcavalier

Frontier Adding MEM-FLL

Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:54 pm

Frontier is breaking away from its business model in MEM. This just came out -

New non-stop Memphis – Ft. Lauderdale service will begin Nov. 15

By the end of the year, Frontier will have seven non-stop mainline flights to Memphis:

Sept. 6, 2007: Flights to and from Las Vegas increase to five days per week (includes a new daytime schedule)
Nov. 15, 2007: Daily service to and from Ft. Lauderdale begins, as does an additional, third flight to and from Denver
Dec. 15, 2007: A second flight is added to and from Orlando

Thank You Very Much................
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness

jetbluefan1

RE: Frontier Adding MEM-FLL

Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:08 am

Looks like F9 has found a little niche at MEM. Good for them, especially since WN and B6 have yet to enter the market.

JetBluefan1

FLYGUY767

Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:09 am

Quoting JetBluefan1 (Reply 1):
Looks like F9 has found a little niche at MEM. Good for them, especially since WN and B6 have yet to enter the market.

Do they really want to piss off Northwest Airlines?

Remember what happened when F9 entered the LAX-MSP market?

-JD
Summer Trip 2007: DEN HAAG>DUBAI>LONDON>VERONA>COSTA SMERALDA>CAPRI

Riddle274

Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:28 am

NW serves MEM-FLL daily during the summer and fall, and double daily from the holiday season through the spring. It will be interesting to see how they respond.

CitrusCritter

Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:45 am

I wonder if FL will add this? They countered F9's MEM-MCO route. This just proves the point I've made in other threads that MEM is underserved by LCCs (before F9 it was just FL to ATL) and that someone could find some room with just NW in the market to any signfiicant degree. FL deserves to get beat out for MEM having had so long to expand their offerings from there.

MSYtristar

Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:49 am

Very good news for MEM. Now MEM flyers actually have a quality carrier for nonstops to South Florida. NW can't touch them with a 10 foot pole in terms of service.

FLYGUY767

Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:17 am

Quoting Riddle274 (Reply 3):
NW serves MEM-FLL daily during the summer and fall, and double daily from the holiday season through the spring. It will be interesting to see how they respond.

I am sensing DEN-LGA, DEN-MKE, DEN-BOS, DEN-MDW being introduced..

-JD

jetbluefan1

Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:28 am

Quoting FLYGUY767 (Reply 2):
Do they really want to piss off Northwest Airlines?

Remember what happened when F9 entered the LAX-MSP market?

I remember hearing something along the lines of...if WN ever entered MEM, NW would retreat and scale back its operations.

In other words, MEM is not what DTW and MSP are to NW.

JetBluefan1

azjubilee

Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:39 am

How different is the service between NWA and Frontier on the FL routes from MEM? MSYtristar states "Now MEM flyers actually have a quality carrier for nonstops to South Florida. NW can't touch them with a 10 foot pole in terms of service." Since Frontier doesn't have a premium cabin, we'll compare the Y product.

NWA - Free drinks. $2 trail mix and pringles. Alcohol is $5.

Frontier - Free drinks. Alcohol is $5. IFE for a $5.

So you're telling me that Frontier has service leaps and bounds ahead of NWA? Looks like on NWA you can actually eat something if you want and there is a premium cabin to buy a ticket in or get upgraded to if you're a FFer. Geez, can't watch TV on a flight that BLOCKS no more than 2 hours, that really is a drag and makes Frontiers service unreachable with a 10 foot pole. Don't even argue that NWA has awful FAs... there are always a few bad eggs at every airline, including Frontier.

I fail to see the logic...

AZJ

jetbluefan1

Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:16 am

Well, not to start a war here, but F9 wasn't the airline that was all over the headlines for canceling flights due to pilot shortages...

Back on topic. F9's new service is just another alternative to NW, which has had a monopoly on the route. Competition is good.

JetBluefan1

MikeM2648

Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:17 am

Quoting Azjubilee (Reply 8):
So you're telling me that Frontier has service leaps and bounds ahead of NWA?

Yup! Having flown both in the past few months there is no question. Frontier's aircraft have much more comfortable cabins. Their seats are more comfortable, offer winged headrests, and offer more legroom. The new leather seats are even better in that regard (lucked out on a A318 flight). On top of that Frontier's flight attendants are generally energetic, upbeat and funny. Northwest flight attendants (aside from the bad eggs) are fine but they don't seem nearly as enthusiastic about their jobs...that rubs off on the whole experience for the traveler IMHO.

-Mike

P.S. I'll be Silver Elite on Northwest this year ...I'm not an NW hater although my last experience was terrible having ended in an emergency landing. NW 619 Air Return / Emergency Landing July 22 (by MikeM2648 Jul 22 2007 in Trip Reports)

alphascan

Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:23 am

Quoting FLYGUY767 (Reply 6):
I am sensing DEN-LGA, DEN-MKE, DEN-BOS, DEN-MDW being introduced..

If NW hardly responded to the introductions of, and then additional service to, MEM/MCO and MEM/LAS, why do you think they would go ballistic with money losing services over MEM/FLL?

They don't have the ability to fly DEN/LGA, its a restricted route. DEN/MKE and DEN/MDW would make NW the fourth and third carrier on those routes respectively with no hub at either end. DEN/BOS isn't even flown by F9.

1291 posts in three months (with time off for bad behavior) and counting.
"To he who only has a hammer in his toolbelt, every problem looks like a nail."

MAH4546

Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:40 am

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 5):
Now MEM flyers actually have a quality carrier for nonstops to South Florida

I don't see how Northwest won't respond. When American Eagle added a measly two daily ERJs to Miami two years ago, Northwest doubled MIA-MEM frequency.
a.

MSYtristar

Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:42 am

It absoultely is. Not even close. The seats are more comfortable, pitch is generally better, you have the option of IFE if that suits you, F/A's are generally friendlier, and if you fly F9, there's not a chance that you'll get a plane more than what....6 years old? F9 coach class is a much more enjoyable flying experience than NW coach is.

ChiGB1973

Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:50 am

Quoting Alphascan (Reply 11):
They don't have the ability to fly DEN/LGA, its a restricted route

Is it restricted to just F9? I know there is a perimeter rule, but DEN is an exception.

M

dutchjet

Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:52 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 12):
I don't see how Northwest won't respond

Agreed, this is NW which is very territorial about its operations......this is NW, the airline that is launching LGA-DFW flights in response to AA opening a route from LGA to MSP. NW will do something, they always do.

If NW hardly responded to the introductions of, and then additional service to, MEM/MCO and MEM/LAS, why do you think they would go ballistic with money losing services over MEM/FLL?

I guess because a pattern is developing, Frontier is slowly building its MEM operation and, at a certain point, NW will want to end this expansion. NW does not want or need significant competition at MEM.....the economics of NW's MEM hub are fragile enought and NW does not want to lose any of its limited O&D pax at MEM.

They don't have the ability to fly DEN/LGA, its a restricted route.

How is this route restricted? NW is starting LGA-DFW (against AA no less), LGA-DEN could be next if NW wants to play games and teach "small but annoying" Frontier a lesson. Frontier is a good airline with a good product, and they have stepped on NW's toes a few times already, I fear that the NW-F9 wars are about to begin once again.

Riddle274

Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:07 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Alphascan said DEN-LGA was restricted in reference to LGA being slot controlled, and NW not having an available slot to allow a DEN-LGA flight (or any additional flights to/from LGA in that case). NW started LGA-DFW because they had available LGA slots that were once used on the MKE-LGA flights when MKE was a focus city.

dutchjet

Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:27 am

Quoting Riddle274 (Reply 16):
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Alphascan said DEN-LGA was restricted in reference to LGA being slot controlled, and NW not having an available slot to allow a DEN-LGA flight (or any additional flights to/from LGA in that case). NW started LGA-DFW because they had available LGA slots that were once used on the MKE-LGA flights when MKE was a focus city.

NW could cancel one flight from LGA to DTW and one flight from LGA to MSP........and launch LGA-DEN if they were so inclined. Does it make sense, of course not, but does NW flying LGA to DFW make any sense?

EXAAUADL

Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:48 am

If this isnt a sure sign that the industry has too many planes, I dont know what is.

SpencerII

Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:22 am

IM not sure, but I believe LaGuardia has the 1500 mile rule whereby flights cannot operate nonstop from the airport if they are more than 1500 miles from LaGuardia- exceptions are Sat & Sun and I also believe Denver is exempt from the perimeter rule.

MSYtristar

Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:43 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 12):
When American Eagle added a measly two daily ERJs to Miami two years ago, Northwest doubled MIA-MEM frequency.

I forgot about AA Eagle's service MEM-MIA....they do a decent job...I was really talkingabout NW mainline, and how it has really been reduced (quality wise) over the years.

I'm sure NW will bump up capacity to an extent....match fares....maybe offer double miles or something.

mariner

Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:43 am

Quoting SPENCERII (Reply 19):
I also believe Denver is exempt from the perimeter rule.

You are correct. When the perimeter rule was introduced, DEN was grandfathered in.

Quoting Dutchjet (Reply 15):
NW will do something, they always do.

I think you are right, they will do something. But - what?

The retaliation over Frontier's initial expansion at DEN faltered some. The 4th MEM-MCO was quickly reduced to week-ends only, and IND-DEN only lasted six weeks or so. People are now saying that IND-DEN was only ever to be seasonal, but I didn't see that in the announcement. In any case, why end it before the end of season?

There is always the possibility that NWA will play it's ace - invade DEN from somewhere else, or, most particularly, re-itnroduce DEN-LAX. But is MEM-FLL worth blowing your ace for?

The more interesting question for me is what Airtran might do? I never understood why they introduced MEM-MCO after Frontier - MEM is hardly a stronghold of theirs.

And I am not sure why Frontier is doing this - they have denied that they are building a focus city at MEM, and they must be ready for some NWA retaliation.

Is MEM such a prize?

mariner
aeternum nauta

frontierflyer

Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:56 am

NW at DEN would be financial suicide. With thier old planes, cancellations, bitchy FA's and big bad UA, F9, WN no one is going to give them the time of day. NW should be glad WN hasnt invaded Memphis.

airbusaddict

Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:03 am

Well Nw is pretty much thinking of MEM as a small hub. Everyone of course knows that Memphis is the smallest hub for Northwest. Is it me or is F9 gonna turn Memphis into a focus city? If they do, it would be great time to expand into the Upper Midwest of the country. Like routes that NW doesnt have, But I know if they turned MEM into a Focus City, that it wouldnt happen that quickly.
Finally F9! FSD-DEN 7-4-2011

iowaman

Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:06 am

Quoting EXAAUADL (Reply 18):
If this isnt a sure sign that the industry has too many planes, I dont know what is.

How so? MEM is a very low LCC comeptition city and could use the lower fares.

OB1504

Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:14 am

So you're telling me that Frontier has service leaps and bounds ahead of NWA? Looks like on NWA you can actually eat something if you want and there is a premium cabin to buy a ticket in or get upgraded to if you're a FFer.

Is it really so horrible to be "forced" to buy something in the terminal before boarding? And besides, does a premium cabin really make that much of a difference on a flight like MEM-FLL? Not to mention the fact that F9 tends to have both a fare and service advantage. Which of these two cabins would you prefer to fly in?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Tim Samples
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Nick Onkow

Geez, can't watch TV on a flight that BLOCKS no more than 2 hours, that really is a drag and makes Frontiers service unreachable with a 10 foot pole.

Do you have a source? (and there aren't any PTVs on NW's A319s to begin with)

Don't even argue that NWA has awful FAs... there are always a few bad eggs at every airline, including Frontier.

True, but NW seems to have a lot more than its share... a lot more.

frontierflyer

Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:15 am

Quoting OB1504 (Reply 25):

Those NW seats look like they have black mold on them.

airbusaddict

Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:26 am

Frontiers look like an older style. I still like NWs cabin better, although F9's cabin has bigger headrests cuz the TV's.

FLYGUY767

Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:29 am

They don't have the ability to fly DEN/LGA, its a restricted route.

Two others have asked and now I must ask..

How is Denver to La Guardia restricted?

-JD

airbusaddict

Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:37 am

Im totally surprised Frontier hasnt started E170 service to FSD. United is gonna start using 733 and 735 to FSD from DEN for a trial period for 6 months. If they started 2 daily E170 flights, they would get a lot of Business. I think FSD deserves the E170 instead of Dash. And how does DEN-LGA be restricted

kingcavalier

Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:04 am

Quoting Airbusaddict (Reply 23):
Is it me or is F9 gonna turn Memphis into a focus city?

Don't know if you'd call MEM a focus city yet by major carrier standards. For Frontier, though, it "looks" like a focus city. It appears Frontier is "testing the waters" in MEM. Not much to lose. Like DEN-MCO, DEN needed another FLL flight. Frontier can route the plane through MEM, which is conveniently located on the way, to FLL. The MEM-LAS route is a different story. NW shouldn't worry just yet with the relatively small frequency that Frontier will have.
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness

COERJ145

Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:06 am

How is this route restricted? NW is starting LGA-DFW (against AA no less)

LGA is slot restricted.NW used their slots from the former LGA-MKE route. They'd have to drop a flight in order to add a new one. Speaking of which, I can't seem to book the DFW-LGA flights on NWA.com, did NW drop it due to low pax loads?

Quoting Frontierflyer (Reply 22):

NW at DEN would be financial suicide. With thier old planes, cancellations, bitchy FA's and big bad UA, F9, WN no one is going to give them the time of day. NW should be glad WN hasnt invaded Memphis.

Old planes? Not really. The DC-9s are old, yes, but NW would probably put an A319(under 8yrs old) or A320(oldest is 20 yrs old) on their routes out of DEN(if they ever started non-hub routes out of there). I've had good luck with NW F/A's mostly helpful, some very nice, etc.

[Edited 2007-08-10 01:09:04]

dutchjet

Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:25 am

Quoting COERJ145 (Reply 31):
LGA is slot restricted.NW used their slots from the former LGA-MKE route. They'd have to drop a flight in order to add a new one. Speaking of which, I can't seem to book the DFW-LGA flights on NWA.com, did NW drop it due to low pax loads?

I know......

Quoting Dutchjet (Reply 17):
NW could cancel one flight from LGA to DTW and one flight from LGA to MSP........and launch LGA-DEN if they were so inclined. Does it make sense, of course not, but does NW flying LGA to DFW make any sense?

Quoting FLYGUY767 (Reply 28):
How is Denver to La Guardia restricted?

Its not.....simply the slot issue at LGA.

FreequentFlier

Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:42 pm

Interesting to see NW face some real LCC competition at one of its hubs finally. Outside of a few NK and WN routes to DTW, its almost non-existent.

mariner

Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:05 pm

Quoting Mariner (Reply 21):
The retaliation over Frontier's initial expansion at DEN faltered some.

Oops. That should read: "The retaliation over Frontier's initial expamsion at MEM faltered some."

My bad.

mariner
aeternum nauta

RedTailDTW

Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:06 pm

Quoting JetBluefan1 (Reply 7):
In other words, MEM is not what DTW and MSP are to NW.

JetBluefan has a good point. NW defends their hub's but MEM is not as important to NW as DTW and MSP are. That's why we are not seeing much of a battle between the two carriers. Dropping a route from MEM because of competition is not as tragic to them as dropping a route from DTW or MSP.

Mason
Airlines Flown: AA, CO, HP, MQ, NW, RP, UA, US, WN, YX / Aircraft Flown: 737-200/300/700/800, 757-200/300, 777-200, A319/A320/A321, DC-9-30/50, DC-10-40, ERJ 140/145, E170, MD80/83/90

frontierflyer

Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:34 am

Quoting FLYGUY767 (Reply 28):

Quoting FreequentFlier (Reply 33):
Interesting to see NW face some real LCC competition at one of its hubs finally. Outside of a few NK and WN routes to DTW, its almost non-existent.

NW is uinque among legacy carriers, imune to LCC at MSP, MEM unlike UA where all their hubs are under assualt. You think they where in better shape than the other legacies.

Indy

Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:59 am

Quoting Mariner (Reply 21):
and IND-DEN only lasted six weeks or so. People are now saying that IND-DEN was only ever to be seasonal, but I didn't see that in the announcement. In any case, why end it before the end of season?

I know when they first loaded the route it was loaded as year round. Then they changed it to seasonal. Not sure when the scheduled it to end. I'm thinking the 20th of this month. There is no end date listed in the current timetable. It either fell victim to the pilot shortage problem or NW needed the equipment to get back at someone somewhere else for adding a route in NW land.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

OB1504

Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:19 am

Quoting Frontierflyer (Reply 36):
NW is uinque among legacy carriers, imune to LCC at MSP, MEM unlike UA where all their hubs are under assualt. You think they where in better shape than the other legacies.

The way I see it, UA having all of their hubs under assault serves as a motivation to raise their service standards and lower their fares, benefitting the traveler and UA, since they've managed to lure passengers back by improving (at least theoretically).

Northwest has almost no competition out of its hubs. If you don't like what they have to offer, most of the time you have no choice but to put up with it.

SkyyMaster

Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:44 am

Are F9's LAS and MCO routes out of MEM actually making any money? Seems every so often they get a wild hair to add non-traditional routes to their network and they most always seem to fail (i.e. recent intra-California service). Their niche seems to be, other than DEN, Mexico. The should work on adding new city pairs in those type markets. I don't see the extra MEM flights lasting very long. You can be sure that if F9 does scale back and even downsizes it's a/c into MEM to an E70, NW and UA will take their mainlines off the route as well.

sw733

Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:00 am

Quoting MikeM2648 (Reply 10):
Yup! Having flown both in the past few months there is no question. Frontier's aircraft have much more comfortable cabins. Their seats are more comfortable, offer winged headrests, and offer more legroom. The new leather seats are even better in that regard (lucked out on a A318 flight). On top of that Frontier's flight attendants are generally energetic, upbeat and funny. Northwest flight attendants (aside from the bad eggs) are fine but they don't seem nearly as enthusiastic about their jobs...that rubs off on the whole experience for the traveler IMHO.

yes ...come on, everyone knows that just because things may look equal on paper doesn't mean they are equal. You can't just comapre food and alcohol. Like Mike said, there is a comfort factor on Frontier that I have never found on Northwest domestic, even comparing A320 family to A320 family...don't even bring in the ancient DC9. And I agree about the customer service too...NW customer service and flight attendants are ok, they get the job done, but Frontier is great, their people have always been fantastic to me. If prices were fairly equal, and time were fairly the same, I would never even consider flying NW when I could fly Frontier.

sampa737

Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:10 pm

Quoting SkyyMaster (Reply 39):
You can be sure that if F9 does scale back and even downsizes it's a/c into MEM to an E70, NW and UA will take their mainlines off the route as well.

Is UA back to mainline in MEM? I thought mainline pulled out several years ago.

yyz717

Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:40 am

Quoting SkyyMaster (Reply 39):
Seems every so often they get a wild hair to add non-traditional routes to their network and they most always seem to fail (i.e. recent intra-California service). Their niche seems to be, other than DEN, Mexico.

Agree, but the problem is that F9 is extremely, indeed dangerously, over-reliant on the DEN market. So F9 really has no choice to branch away from DEN by testing new focus markets/cities to reduce their reliance on DEN until something works and will stick.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

frontierflyer

Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:01 am

I think its DO OR DIE for F9. Hubbing in MEM or some other southern city will help out especially during a winter storm at DEN. Its sad to see that UA and F9 essentially built DEN and to have WN come in all cozy. Makes me boil. Its just all about the money, more passengers more fees for the airport, at the expense of UA and F9.

SkyyMaster

Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:02 am

Quoting Sampa737 (Reply 41):
Is UA back to mainline in MEM? I thought mainline pulled out several years ago.

You're right, my bad. I thought I had read that they too were going mainline on the route to counter F9. I stand corrected.

airbusaddict

Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:06 am

Two days before F9 was to announce the first four new routes on the Dash-400, United decided to bring back Mainline to FSD (sioux falls, sd) with two flights a day on one 733 and one 735. And United is going to bring mainline back to the FSD-ORD route to starting in November.

sampa737

Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:22 am

Quoting SkyyMaster (Reply 44):
You're right, my bad. I thought I had read that they too were going mainline on the route to counter F9. I stand corrected.

No biggee. I just wish UA would bring back mainline to MEM. Yet it's good to have UA in the city.

I do wish Frontier the best but I still scratch my head at not only the airline choosing MEM but also the cities in which to offer service.

SkyyMaster

Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:31 am

Quoting Sampa737 (Reply 46):
No biggee. I just wish UA would bring back mainline to MEM. Yet it's good to have UA in the city.

Several years ago, a friend of mine worked for UA and told me that when they were scaling back mainline, both BNA and MEM were not actually slated to go all RJ, but somehow the ball got dropped "upstairs" and all mainline service was pulled. At the time, UA had BNA-DEN all to itself, now from what I hear, F9 is kicking their butt. Would still be nice to see a couple UA Airbii around.

flydl2atl

Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:58 am

Any thoughts about F9 adding destinations out of ATL...they could rely on the Airtran marketing aggreement to help fill the planes. It seems that BDL, SLC, ABQ and other western destinations might make good choices....however not sure what their gate situation is in ATL

Lexy

Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:29 pm

Quoting SkyyMaster (Reply 47):
Would still be nice to see a couple UA Airbii around.

Amen to that brother. I get tired, no SICK and TIRED, of seeing their CRJ's here at BNA. Between them and the fifty-thousand flights on Continental's ERJ's each day, I don't know what to think around here. Especially when markets much smaller than both MEM and BNA have mainline on these carriers...and all we get our RJ's? Come on. Oh well. Life goes on I suppose. LOL!!

[/end of soapbox rant]

Congrats to MEM. I hope it works for them, but i'm like many on here. Why MEM? But, if it works for F9 then good for them and good for MEM.
Nashville, Tennessee KBNA