FlyAZA
Topic Author

Allegiant Announces AZA-RFD

Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:07 am

Allegiant just gave the official announcement of their first destination from AZA.

From the official press release:

"Allegiant Air, LLC today announced Rockford, Ill. will soon have two more ways to get some vacation sun with new, nonstop and low-cost flights to sunny South Florida and Arizona. Flights from Chicago Rockford International Airport to Phoenix-Mesa will begin Nov. 16 and service to Fort Lauderdale will begin Dec. 14. The low-fare carrier will celebrate the convenient new service to South Florida with sunny introductory fares as low as $69* each-way and fares as low as $79* each way to Arizona.

Flights to Phoenix-Mesa will operate Monday and Friday, departing Rockford at 5:25 p.m. arriving in Williams Gateway Airport at 8:15 p.m. Flights leaving Phoenix-Mesa will depart at 12:45 p.m. arriving in Rockford at 4:50 p.m. (all flight times are local.)"

itsnotfinals

RE: Allegiant Announces AZA-RFD

Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:11 am

Excellent to see that annoucement. SkyValue did 59 to GYY each way, so already G4 is showing they are much smarter than the prior Chicago area service. 79 each way is still a great price also!
Speedbird 178 Heavy, FINAL runway 27L

YNGguins

Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:19 am

Isn't it IWA? Congrats RFD.
I am PROUD to live in the greatest country on earth: The United States of America!

itsnotfinals

Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:20 am

Quoting YNGguins (Reply 2):
Isn't it IWA? Congrats RFD.

The airport is trying to get the identifer changed to AZA, for now it is IWA.

thirteenright

Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:31 am

Quoting Itsnotfinals (Reply 3):
The airport is trying to get the identifer changed to AZA, for now it is IWA.

Why AZA??

FlyAZA
Topic Author

Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:32 am

Quoting Itsnotfinals (Reply 3):
Isn't it IWA?

Officially AZA with IATA (changed this year) and will be used by Allegiant for their ticketing and planning purposes, as well as for marketing to new carriers. IWA still with FAA for their needs. Too much paperwork and manuals to change right now for them apparently.

itsnotfinals

Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:34 am

Quoting ThirteenRight (Reply 4):
Why AZA??

Because it seems more like "Arizona" than IWA could ever be interpreted as being.

ATAIndy

Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:36 am

Allegiant hasn't updated their route map yet. Great news for Rockford though!
Boiler up! - Next flights: IND-MIA, MIA-IND

airbusaddict

Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:41 am

That is so surprising that they chose Rockford instead of Sioux Falls, Sioux Falls was getting 95% load factors the airport was saying, but SF no doubt will get it in the second round. Great News for ROckford! CONGRATS!!!
Finally F9! FSD-DEN 7-4-2011

itsnotfinals

Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:49 am

Quoting Airbusaddict (Reply 8):
That is so surprising that they chose Rockford instead of Sioux Falls, Sioux Falls was getting 95% load factors the airport was saying, but SF no doubt will get it in the second round. Great News for ROckford! CONGRATS!!!

That is only the first of 13 destinations to be announced. Sioux Falls could still happen!

g4resagent

Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:12 am

Quoting FlyAZA (Reply 5):
will be used by Allegiant for their ticketing and planning purposes

I would check that. All of our systems show IWA and not AZA.

AirCop

Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:36 am

Great choice; I imagine it will be filled with Cubs/White Sox fans at least in March. Alot of ex-Chicago people here, and in summer they will want to head east, so yes, with the proper marketing it should be a success.

YNGguins

Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:35 am

Quoting Airbusaddict (Reply 8):

Not really surprising at all AirbusAddict. RFD already has routes to PIE, LAS, and SFB; so it only makes since that they get flights to IWA and FLL first. Cities like Springfield, MO and Peoria, IL will also probably get announced before Sioux Falls as they too already have service to PIE, LAS, and SFB.

Sioux Falls will probably get it, but it will probably be in the coming weeks; not days.
I am PROUD to live in the greatest country on earth: The United States of America!

JetBlueGuy2006

Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:58 am

Quoting YNGguins (Reply 12):
Not really surprising at all AirbusAddict. RFD already has routes to PIE, LAS, and SFB; so it only makes since that they get flights to IWA and FLL first. Cities like Springfield, MO and Peoria, IL will also probably get announced before Sioux Falls as they too already have service to PIE, LAS, and SFB.

I would have to agree with you 100%. That is why I think LAN will get service to both as well. They have really found there market here in Mid-Michigan
Home Airport: Capital Region International Airport (KLAN)

access-air

Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:44 am

All I can say is that I think its great.....I predict that we will be busy at work booking this route for people....
Im not sure how well FLL will do but I know that the Mesa service should work.....it does get into Mesa kinda late but at least they get there....

Access-Air.
Remember, Wherever you go, there you are!!!!

airbusaddict

Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:23 pm

I forgot RFD had PIE, SFB, LAS. But yeah. Will Spirit try and compete against Allegiant at FLL?
Finally F9! FSD-DEN 7-4-2011

National757

Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:30 pm

Quoting Airbusaddict (Reply 15):
Will Spirit try and compete against Allegiant at FLL?

Why would they? Spirit focuses on routes to/from Latin America from FLL while Allegiant will focus on bringing travelers from small town America to FLL. Two entirely different markets.

MAH4546

Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:13 pm

Quoting Access-Air (Reply 14):
Im not sure how well FLL will do but I know that the Mesa service should work...

You are talking about a flight from suburban Chicago to suburban Miami. This flight will fill easily.
a.

access-air

Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:07 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 17):
You are talking about a flight from suburban Chicago to suburban Miami. This flight will fill easily.

Well really, I wouldnt call Rockford suburban Chicago...Rockford is 63 Miles NW of OHare.....on The Tristate....As much as the people in Rockford like to think of themselves as part of Chicago, the urban sprawl has not reached quite that far...Still plenty of corn fields separate the two.....90 minutes of 65mph travel on a bus is not my idea of a suburb....

I just hope that the service will work. We will all see...With the load factors as high as they seem to be to the other destinations out of Rockford, I am sure it will work....I know that the service to Mesa will be a big hit....I would imagine the flights to Mesa will probably be just as busy as the Others....it was a good choice....However Im not so sure about the departure time from Rockford....Time will tell....

I think the best thing for Alleginat that contributes to their high load factors are that they dont fly 5-7 days a week in every market, If they did, then you would see their load factors thinner ans more spead out. Since they limit days of the week they fly to each city, everyone that flies them only gets the chance on those token days of the week, Its not like trying to fill that plane every day..I think as long as Alleginat has the smart guys running their scheduling depratments to keep up with just when people are more likely to fly, you will see continued success....

Acces-Air
Remember, Wherever you go, there you are!!!!

itsnotfinals

Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:25 pm

Quoting Access-Air (Reply 18):
90 minutes of 65mph travel on a bus is not my idea of a suburb....

Actaully it's only about 35 miles from the western Chicago suburbs to RFD. Even If you are a person that lives closer in in places like Hoffman Estates, Arlington Heights, Shaumburg, Rolling Meadows, etc, etc, RFD is going to be a fairly easy commute when compared to the other LCC mecca , MDW and especially GYY, whcih is just out of the question certain times of the day for the NW suburbs.

FlyAZA
Topic Author

Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:58 am

Quoting G4resagent (Reply 10):
I would check that. All of our systems show IWA and not AZA.

Hmmmm, interesting. The whole point of changing the identifier was for commercial service. Otherwise, why change it if it isn't going to be used? Have to check on that. Thanks for the reply. Through our marketing we are using AZA, although we do mark this as an IATA code.

JetBlueGuy2006

Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:02 am

I think Lansing, Peoria, Fort Wayne, South Bend will be the next destinations to be announced from AZA/IWA.

No Specific Order. It just makes sense because all of them have all 3 destinations and are probably good candidate for the new AZ and FL service. Anyone else agree?

FATFlyer

Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:13 am

Quoting FlyAZA (Reply 20):
Hmmmm, interesting. The whole point of changing the identifier was for commercial service. Otherwise, why change it if it isn't going to be used? Have to check on that. Thanks for the reply. Through our marketing we are using AZA, although we do mark this as an IATA code.

Isn't IWA also being used as a code for Ivanova, Russia?
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

cageyjames

Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:28 am

Quoting FATFlyer (Reply 22):

The IATA code as is AZA. The FAA code is IWA. The only reason they haven't changed the IWA code is "paperwork". This will continue to be confusing for everyone as long as IWA continues to exist.

I'm going to do my part and only refer to it as AZA.  Wink

FATFlyer

Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:42 am

Quoting Cageyjames (Reply 23):
The IATA code as is AZA. The FAA code is IWA. The only reason they haven't changed the IWA code is "paperwork". This will continue to be confusing for everyone as long as IWA continues to exist.

I'm going to do my part and only refer to it as AZA.

Thats what I thought but in reply #10 G4resagent says they show IWA still in their system. It seemed to confuse FlyAZA (who works at AZA/IWA) in reply #20. So just adding why the AZA change.
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

YNGguins

Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:43 am

Quoting JetBlueGuy2006 (Reply 21):
I think Lansing, Peoria, Fort Wayne, South Bend will be the next destinations to be announced from AZA/IWA.

No Specific Order. It just makes sense because all of them have all 3 destinations and are probably good candidate for the new AZ and FL service. Anyone else agree?

It's not that I want to disagree, but if I were Allegiant I'd target the heartland and the west to Phoenix before you really make some long runs out to the Great Lakes region. I say this because if these routes let's say are not up to par, Allegiant could be losing a bit of $$$ on them.

I know you want Lansing to get service, and they probably will, but I hope you understand what I am trying to say.. Those are some longer runs on the Mad Dogs!

LH459

Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:49 am

Quoting FATFlyer (Reply 22):

Yes, it is.
"I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is temporary; the evil it does is permanent" - Ghandi

KarlB737

Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:09 am

It sounds like the key to acquiring service from Allegiant is centered on two components:

1. Local Support.
2. Efforts of your airport management team.

As stated by: Maury Gallagher - CEO/President Allegiant Travel Company

http://www.flyrfd.com/AACEOROCKFORD.wmv

JetBlueGuy2006

Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:26 am

Quoting YNGguins (Reply 25):
It's not that I want to disagree, but if I were Allegiant I'd target the heartland and the west to Phoenix before you really make some long runs out to the Great Lakes region. I say this because if these routes let's say are not up to par, Allegiant could be losing a bit of $$$ on them.

I know you want Lansing to get service, and they probably will, but I hope you understand what I am trying to say.. Those are some longer runs on the Mad Dogs!

I completely understand. I just say those because it seems like this is the area they want to target. They stated in the initial announcement that they are looking for markets that don't have service anywhere in Arizona. A lot of the westernish destinations Allegiant serves have some service to that area.

National757

Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:40 am

Quoting KarlB737 (Reply 27):

http://www.flyrfd.com/AACEOROCKFORD.wmv

Thanks for sharing the link Karl!  Smile

FlyPeoria

Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:55 am

Peoria's announcement will be made August 25, so it won't be among the first several. IWA is more likely that FLL, but I suspect we'll get both. Our airport director has been saying "destinationS."

As far as other cities, several will get both - CID is a given. I suspect Lincoln, NE may get IWA/AZA but not FLL. Springfield/Branson, MO will get IWA/AZA but not FLL. All three had HP service to PHX years ago. FWA, LAN and SBD seem likely to get both IWA/AZA and FLL.

jetpixx

Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:25 am

Quoting Airbusaddict (Reply 15):

Instead of competing, maybe they should look into a codeshare agreement and try and work together to fill planes. It would give NK some more feed and help G4 fill planes to these new locations from FLL as well. They aren't going to compete on any routes, so why not try and help each other out?

National757

Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:38 am

Quoting Jetpixx (Reply 31):
They aren't going to compete on any routes, so why not try and help each other out?

There is no incentive to. Why would G4 help NK fill planes when NK clearly does not need any help filling planes? Same goes for NK helping G4. Codesharing and partnering with other airlines is not part of the Allegiant business model.

IMO it would be too much of a mess trying to coordinate Allegiant's infrequent schedule with Spirit's. In addition, a key part of the Allegiant model is ancillary revenue and G4 does not get any ancillary revenue having their passengers fly Spirit.

JetBlueGuy2006

Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:00 am

Although, with the additions to Allegiants' Schedule, I would like to see them come out with some type of FF Program that would not only give you points for flying, but also renting or staying with Allegiant Partners

National757

Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:11 am

Quoting JetBlueGuy2006 (Reply 33):
Although, with the additions to Allegiants' Schedule, I would like to see them come out with some type of FF Program that would not only give you points for flying, but also renting or staying with Allegiant Partners

What a great idea! An innovative FF Program for a different kind of airline. I like it! In the future when G4 is ready to launch a frequent flier program, don't be surprised to see a program similar to the one you have suggested.

JetBlueGuy2006

Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:07 am

Quoting National757 (Reply 34):
What a great idea! An innovative FF Program for a different kind of airline. I like it! In the future when G4 is ready to launch a frequent flier program, don't be surprised to see a program similar to the one you have suggested.

We will have it on record that it was first thought of here.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos