greg3322

International Flights Halted At LAX

Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:27 am

Looks like a imagration computer problem.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=local&id=5561125

LAXintl

RE: International Flights Halted At LAX

Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:45 am

CBP computers at TBIT have been down for about 4 hours.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

worldtraveler

Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:49 am

Based on all the uproar about passengers being stranded on aircraft, these flights would be required to return to the gate and allow the passengers to deplane. Just a perfect example of how the proposals to protect passengers not only is unworkable but that the government - who would be requiring actions from the airlines - is actually a cause of the airlines' problems.

commavia

Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:01 pm

Quoting WorldTraveler (Reply 2):
Based on all the uproar about passengers being stranded on aircraft, these flights would be required to return to the gate and allow the passengers to deplane. Just a perfect example of how the proposals to protect passengers not only is unworkable but that the government - who would be requiring actions from the airlines - is actually a cause of the airlines' problems.

Well, it doesn't happen often, but of course I agree with you completely.

More often than not, not just in the airline industry but with most things in life, the government is the cause of our problems, not the solution, but once people get hit by the full effects of the government's ineptitude and bureaucracy, the government (i.e., politicians, bureaucrats, and talking heads) immediately try and shift the blame to the easiest possible target -- business (read: airlines, oil companies, fast food restaurants, etc.) -- to divert attention from them. Sadly, also more often than not, it usually works.

aa61hvy

Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:03 pm

Just heard on the news some INT flights are being diverted to ONT and LAS
Go big or go home

FLYGUY767

Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:10 pm

Based on all the uproar about passengers being stranded on aircraft, these flights would be required to return to the gate and allow the passengers to deplane. Just a perfect example of how the proposals to protect passengers not only is unworkable but that the government - who would be requiring actions from the airlines - is actually a cause of the airlines' problems

100% Agreed

The failures within the US civil aviation continue to scream out loud..

Not to discount it, but thankfully this wasnt at JFK at 2pm..

-JD
Summer Trip 2007: DEN HAAG>DUBAI>LONDON>VERONA>COSTA SMERALDA>CAPRI

greg3322

Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:12 pm

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 4):
Just heard on the news some INT flights are being diverted to ONT and LAS

Nothing obvious on Flightaware... yet.

Greg

LAXintl

Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:15 pm

Flight are being processed according to fall back procedures at TBIT and other terminals, however there are dozens of planes at the remote gates waiting to be allowed to deplane and be processed.

From what I understand no diversions yet, however Mexicana will be shifting 4 flights this evening to ONT.

AR326

Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:18 pm

This happened to me once at JFK arriving from MEX on the 10:45 p.m. AM flight. Computers were down for close to two hours. Definitely, not a pleasant situation. Immigration officers were quite upset as well as their shift ended at midnight and they had to stay until system was back up and running and all passengers were processed.

lincoln

Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:22 pm

Based on all the uproar about passengers being stranded on aircraft, these flights would be required to return to the gate and allow the passengers to deplane.

I think the problem, though, is that these are inbound international flights, meaning that they can't be 'released' on to US soil until CBP has processed them -- so the gate that they would 'return to' is either their country of origin or another airport with immigration services (such as ONT or LAS, where aircraft in the air were being diverted) and not as simple as just pulling a jetway up to the plane.

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

boeingfanyyz

Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:32 pm

After a rough week or so in the Northeast delay-wise, I guess it's only fitting that LAX has their fair share of problems!  wink 

Cheers,
Boeingfanyyz  airplane 
"If it aint boeing, it aint going!", "Friends are like condoms...they protect you when things get hard!"

Charles79

Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:37 pm

I just spoke with my bf about 1 hour ago (he works for Air France at LAX) and they had a 772 sitting at the gate that arrived at 1600...and by 1930 the pax were still on board. To add to the complexity, their next flight from CDG, 73 (a 773), arrived at 1900, as did their flt from PPT (an A343). All told, as of 1930 PST all 3 planes had not been able to disembark, and in the queue were a Virgin A346 and an ANZ 744 (all residents of T2). He doesn't know the status at TBIT, but they were told by airport officials that it was a nationwide crash that took down most systems. At T2, only 4 computers were able to log back in, but they can only process passports by logging in to the internet (no fingerprints were being taken, and/or pictures per the new regulations). Again, he only knows about the situation at T2-LAX, so other terminals within LAX and other airports might have better connectivity at this time (or working back-up systems). They don't know when the system will be back on.

I understand that we need security, but why depend on a decades old computer system that crash at any time? It's inexcusable.

Charles

HPAEAA

Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:08 pm

Quoting Charles79 (Reply 11):
I understand that we need security, but why depend on a decades old computer system that crash at any time? It's inexcusable.

The FAA asks the same thing...

sad to hear for those folks, but the government is ages behind pvt enterprise in almost every technology except Defence... there just now working to move to a unified network across branches...
Why do I fly???

mark5388916

Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:37 pm

I just started a thread in hopes for a list of diverts to ONT. Hope no one minds the double thread. So if anyone has divert info, please head that way.

Mark
I Love ONT and SNA, the good So Cal Airports! URL Removed as required by mod

FLY777UAL

Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:40 pm

AS225 CUN-LAX diverted to SAN to clear formalities before re-boarding and continuing to LAX (and SEA)...quite the mess tonight.

F L Y 7 7 7 U A L

reality

Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:42 pm

Any updates as to what is going on with the computer system at LAX. Up and running yet?

mark5388916

Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:47 pm

NBC 4 says it was fully operational at 21:00 local, but it sounds like there is a HUGE backlog of people to get though.

Mark

Charles79

Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:00 pm

Update from nbc:

http://www.knbc.com/news/13873627/detail.html

According to the report, 2 dozen A/C are waiting to offload close to 6000 pax. My bf was told that the actual list of planes is 27, and the computers are not back up 100%. Now it looks like the glitch wasn't nationwide as the officials first told the airlines at LAX, but rather a local problem (otherwise what would have been the point on diverting flights). Guess it's going to be a loooooong night!

Quoting TKV (Reply 16):
I really do not understand these complaints about the government. Are computer breakdown not happening to private companies ?? I remember that year ago, the entire internet system of the NE broke down because of a ATT failure !! And anyway, how many such immigration system breakdowns happened in say the last 10 years ??

And who should monitor immigration ?? Private companies ??

Of course computer breakdowns happen to everybody, but my complaint has to do with both the age of the network used by immigration and the overwhelming tasks that the government expects to accomplish with antiquated equipment. The Air France crew at LAX has to deal with delays at least twice a month because the immigration system is down and they can't process their passengers ( a real issue on their PPT-CDG transit flight). I'm not asking for perfection, but if the government insists on these regulations then the least it could do is upgrade the system so that in can cope with the workload. I think that's a fair thing to ask.

Cheers!

Charles

lightsaber
Crew

Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:04 pm

It took them six hours to start processing passports manually per the local TV news. True? False?

I swear LAX exits to make third world airports look good... my hometown airport... I love aviation... but this is horrid.

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

mark5388916

Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:07 pm

I was returning from LHR on BA 268 back on January first, the whole lower level of TBIT is HORRIBLE! It just looks so old and run down. Maybe I've been spoiled with SNA and ONT, but TBIT is slow and ugly on a good day, today must be REALLY BAD!

Mark

[Edited 2007-08-12 08:08:05]

ikramerica

Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:36 pm

It's not the same situation at all. Nor is this the cause of "all the airlines' problems." This is a big one day event.

The continued uproar is due to sitting due to weather delays, waiting to depart an airport when there's no chance of leaving, or waiting out a mechanical delay while an airline repairs a plane for hours.

Today is a very different issue, a legal and immigration issue, involving people waiting to enter/re-enter the USA, and the idea of "offloading them" is unworkable because there are such things as fire codes, and it sounds as if the terminals were to capacity. The flights that could deplane had done so. The others had to stay on the plane because there was simply no room in the terminals in the sterile "pre-clearance" area, and there is no way to open that space up to a larger area.

The proper thing to do was being done when possible: diverting planes to other airports that can handle customs, then putting people back on the plane to arrive at LAX as a "domestic" flight. Along with this, they got the backup system running, but it isn't as powerful as the main one. That seems to be the weak link in the system.

It points out that there should be a fully capable redundant system in place, not a half capable one.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

TKV

Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:42 pm

Quoting Charles79 (Reply 17):
Of course computer breakdowns happen to everybody, but my complaint has to do with both the age of the network used by immigration and the overwhelming tasks that the government expects to accomplish with antiquated equipment
-------
I'm not asking for perfection, but if the government insists on these regulations then the least it could do is upgrade the system so that in can cope with the workload. I think that's a fair thing to ask.

What you say sounds reasonable. Only:

- The regulations do not exist because the government insists, but because unfortunately they are necessary.
- to modernize the system would cost a lot, and of course the airlines first and the pax ipso facto would pay the bill. To say the "government shall pay" is to ignore where the money would come from !
- I am not sure if the very large but few scale breakdowns happen because the equipments are in bad condition, which would be concerning. The sole fact that they are outdated does not imply that they are prone to fail
- In the real world, if money is scarce, anybody ceases to be up-to-date, in first place the private US legacy airlines flying outdated aircrafts as the MD8X's !
- And also this question must be answered: is it preferible for the pax that such incidents as today's occur sporadically, or it is to pay a surcharge for all flights to modernize the equipment now !!?

TKV

greg3322

Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:50 pm

Local Los Angeles media just reported that the system is up, but still at limited capacity. The media stated there were 8,000 people waiting to be processed, but they can only do 1,300 per hour! It will be along night!.

Greg

ADXMatt

Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:03 pm

Here is a copy of the latest ATC advisory to all airlines.

ATCSCC ADVZY 004 DCC 08/12/07 Los Angeles International Airport LAX update

Computer Issues are still resulting in a backlog for processing international arrivals at LAX.
DCC has bean advised that customs services are available at both ONT and SFO to assist in the processing of international arrivals. expect further updates as appropriate.

120700-121200

aa61hvy

Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:39 pm

I was driving home from In N Out tonight, on Westchester Pkwy at 12:15am, remote terminals were filled-I'd never seen so many planes parked over there before..A real sight to see.
Go big or go home

warszawa

Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:09 pm

A friend of mine's grandmother was onboard either an Asiana 772 or Korean Air 744 from Seoul, he was at the airport for 3hrs already (7pm loca) when the plane landed at about 4pm - his grandmother was still on the plane and he was waiting in the terminal.

Also, did anyone notice how seemingly every stupid news report mentions 'Planes stuck on the runway at LAX' - this is a major pet peeve of mine. PLANES ARE NOT STUCK ON THE RUNWAY! Get it straight!

Even my friend had called and said 'They're telling people that the planes are stuck on the runway because of customs computer issues'.

Oh yeah, 25L/R and 24L/R are loaded with aircraft - all arrivals and departures halted at LAX till further notice - Why the hell do they call it 'Stuck on the Runway'? I dont get it...not 'Stuck at the gate', 'Stuck on the ramp', 'Stuck at a remote parking stand', or simply 'Stuck on the plane'.

'Stuck on the runway'  Yeah sure  Yeah sure
Flying a plane is no diff. from riding a bicycle. Its just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes. -'Airplane'

LHRBlueSkies

Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:22 pm

Hmmm, suddenly makes the immigration queues at LHR seem quick!!

And I really feel sorry for the CBP staff actually having to work for their money...staying after their rostered finishing time to help deal with a problem? Welcome to the real world!
flying is the safest form of transport - until humans get involved!

folov

Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:56 pm

Just got back home after 18 hours at work.
TSA had to close access to the gate as there were to many PAX after security. You had people everywhere on the floor, tables anywhere they could fit.
I am just speechless

SuseJ772

Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:08 pm

Quoting Folov (Reply 27):
Just got back home after 18 hours at work.
TSA had to close access to the gate as there were to many PAX after security. You had people everywhere on the floor, tables anywhere they could fit.
I am just speechless

Man that is rough. I assume you work for Customs/Immigration at LAX? Good job man!
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>

777fan

Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:36 pm

I understand that this problem was probably out of LAX's realm of control but to me, it's still proof positive that LAX one of the worst airports here in the states. In fact, I'm proposing that they change the ICAO code to "SUX"! Can you imagine enduring a transoceanic flight only to sit on the tarmac or immigration hall for [i]hours[/i[ on end?! In fact, I'm not sure I'd rather have been lampooned on the aircraft itself because, from the coverage I saw on CNN this morning, many simply opened the doors to let some "fresh" air in...

My next flight to SYD will most certainly be routed through SFO!

777fan
DC-8 61/63/71 DC-9-30/50 MD-80/82/83 DC-10-10/30 MD-11 717 721/2 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 741/2/4 752 762/3 777 A306/319/20/33 AT

swiftski

Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:13 pm

For UK people who may be interested:

Flight number VS 024
Departure date 11 Aug 2007
Route Los Angeles (LAX) to London (LHR)
Scheduled departure time 11 Aug 20:50
Actual departure time 12 Aug 03:13
Scheduled arrival time 12 Aug 15:30
Estimated arrival time 12 Aug 21:22

RJNUT

Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:20 pm

you are seeing the results of 8 years of the most incompetent presidency in the history of the US!
The 'do nothing' administration that firmly believes that ALL problems will be fixed by "market forces" has droppped the ball as on every issue from aviation infrastructure to health care,!

For all you cheerleaders still out there,,keep drinking the Kool Aid!

plateman

Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:21 pm

CNN has a front page feature on the glitches and an article with tons of info

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/08/12/LAXBackup.ap/index.html
"Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain

plateman

Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:23 pm

For some reason it will not allow me to edit my last post. So I want to add that is a CNN.AP article.

Below, the LA Times also provides some more info http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,5727961.story?coll=la-home-center
"Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain

AA787823

Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:25 pm

AA's 136 LAXLHR was on time. And AA134 LAXLHR was only delayed 1hr 20 min. Not bad for them. That VS flight above...OUCH!
F.U.R.P.....Families Under Reduced Pay

LHRBlueSkies

Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:26 pm

Quoting 777fan (Reply 29):
I'm proposing that they change the ICAO code to "SUX"!

Exellent!!  Big grin

Quoting RJNUT (Reply 31):
keep drinking the Kool Aid!

Hic...  Wink
flying is the safest form of transport - until humans get involved!

JayDub

Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:52 pm

In fact, I'm proposing that they change the ICAO code to "SUX"!

Wouldn't that be KSUX if it were in ICAO format? And what would Sioux City, Iowa go by?
"Travel is only glamorous in retrospect." - Paul Theroux

777fan

Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:05 pm

Quoting JayDub (Reply 36):
And what would Sioux City, Iowa go by?

Sioux City could opt for "KNOTLAX". Other options for LAX include: "KANT", "KLAG", and "KRAP".

CNN's website posts a teaser in which an airport official was quoted as saying, "This is probably one of the worst days we've had," which begs the question: short of a magnitude 10.4 earthquake with an epicenter directly below the TBIT, what could be worse?

777fan
DC-8 61/63/71 DC-9-30/50 MD-80/82/83 DC-10-10/30 MD-11 717 721/2 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 741/2/4 752 762/3 777 A306/319/20/33 AT

sandrozrh

Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:09 pm

Is this why todays LX41 from LAX has been cancelled? Anybody in the knows?

LAXintl

Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:29 am

Quoting Lightsaber (Reply 18):
I swear LAX exits to make third world airports look good

What does LAX possibly have to do with Customs and Border Protection computer system going down?

The design, layout, use or great weather in LA have absolutely nothing to do with any CBP issues. This could have happened at JFK, HNL or some one man customs facility.

While the incident is regrettable, I would not expect USCBP nor want them to simply allow passengers in to the country without screening especially in todays world.

My next flight to SYD will most certainly be routed through SFO!

Enjoy. Statistically speaking you have are likely to have more delay issues at SFO that impact your trip.

Just in another thread people are discussing how LAX has the 4th best ontime performance rate of US airports. LAX performance is pretty phenomenal for being 4th busiest airport in the world for movement and 5th in passenger volume.

Quoting Mark5388916 (Reply 13):
So if anyone has divert info, please head that way.

According to LAWA, 2 flights landed short or diverted and were processed in other facilities.

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 24):
remote terminals were filled-I'd never seen so many planes parked over there before..A real sight to see.

Sure was. Matter of fact they ran out of remote parking spots and had to close a couple taxiways to use for parking.

Quoting Greg3322 (Reply 22):
but they can only do 1,300 per hour! It will be along night!.

TBIT normally process 2,800 international arrivals per hour.

With the exception of six detained because of passport issues earlier, last passengers cleared were off MX922 from GDL at 0350am.

LH423

Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:35 am

Quoting Charles79 (Reply 11):

As far as I know it's not that the system is antiquated. I believe it was updated when US-Visit came online (the camera and fingerprinting). The problem is that they have no manual backup. This has happened at BOS a couple of times where the computer went down for a couple of hours. I was astounded when the immigration officer told me that there was no manual backup. I also find it pretty irresponsible on their part that they make a big hoopla about immigration security yet have absolute reliance on something (computers) that we know can never be relied upon 100%.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Kohflot

Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:47 am

A friend of mine asked a very good question..

Why couldn't the Customs agents keep an open line to their colleagues at another, quieter airport (or two) and retrieve the information they needed over the phone?
Ask why..

atlantic

Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:49 am

Quoting LH423 (Reply 40):
I also find it pretty irresponsible on their part that they make a big hoopla about immigration security yet have absolute reliance on something (computers) that we know can never be relied upon 100%.

you can actually rely on computers nearly 100% (ask the Nasdaq) you won't believe how reliable those systems are. Same goes for avionics. The problem is that the data they are collecting is mostly useless. Immigration to the US has become a major hassle without really providing any additional security. In addition to that the systems are probably badly designed and unreliable. I don't get through immigration that often anymore, but already had two 'system down' experiences within the last year.

reality

Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:54 am

Quoting Laxintl (Reply 41):
I would not expect USCBP nor want them to simply allow passengers in to the country without screening especially in todays world.

I would think that would probably be fine in this case and should be considered in the future.

Quoting Atlantic (Reply 42):
The problem is that the data they are collecting is mostly useless. Immigration to the US has become a major hassle without really providing any additional security.

LHR777

Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:49 am

BA ops at LAX were also screwed around -

BA278 STD - 1535 ATD - 1617 Delayed 0 hours 42 minutes
BA282 STD - 1750 ATD - 2159 Delayed 4 hours 09 minutes
BA268 STD - 2120 ATD - 0328 Delayed 6 hours 08 minutes

Shocking.

777fan

Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:52 am

Quoting Laxintl (Reply 39):
What does LAX possibly have to do with Customs and Border Protection computer system going down?

I understand that this problem was probably out of LAX's realm of control

Good thing you read my first post on this thread  up 

LAX performance is pretty phenomenal for being 4th busiest airport in the world for movement and 5th in passenger volume.

Tell that to the 60,000 that were/are/will feel the effects of today's snafu. I'd be willing to bet that for today anyway, LAX also ranks first in the number of pissed off passengers. I, for one, will gladly "take my chances" at SFO where there are better food options, more restrooms, etc. to pass the time.

777fan

lightsaber
Crew

Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:39 am

rotfl 

Quoting Kohflot (Reply 41):
Why couldn't the Customs agents keep an open line to their colleagues at another, quieter airport (or two) and retrieve the information they needed over the phone?

Exactly. Or they could have not waited 6 hours to start doing the process manually.

As far as under LAX control, a big part of the problem has been the "head in the sand" avoidance of building the larger terminal. Right now the international terminal is operating at 150% to 200% of capacity. So if there is any glitch, it makes life just miserable on the passangers.

The airport needs a new terminal with much larger customs and a dramatically better system.

LAX performance is pretty phenomenal for being 4th busiest airport in the world for movement and 5th in passenger volume.

LAX used to be #3. The main reason its dropped is the hassles of going through. Its my home airport, I love my home city, but the facilities are horrible! Excluding JFK, I have an easier time at the return airport than my departing airport every time.

When you refuse to expand to meet demand any glitch is magnified. That is why I made my comment about LAX.

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

SuseJ772

Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:09 am

Quoting RJNUT (Reply 31):
you are seeing the results of 8 years of the most incompetent presidency in the history of the US!
The 'do nothing' administration that firmly believes that ALL problems will be fixed by "market forces" has droppped the ball as on every issue from aviation infrastructure to health care,!

I would hardly be counted as a kool-aid drinker., and I am by no means a Bush supporter, but this comment is really uncalled for and uneducated. To blame all problems on Bush is frankly immature, and totally unrelated to this thread.
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>

vv701

Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:10 am

My brother-in-law who lives in Irvine Ca was on the AA117 LHR-LAX that was scheduled at LAX at 2.40pm. Luckily although he always books Economy he got upgraded to Club.

As a premium class passenger he was off the aircraft quickly and got right up to the immigration desk. But then he had a three hour wait.

He says they eventually got a couple of laptops fitted up and then started started to process passengers. I guess if they were using laptops instead of the normal systems it explains why they could only process 1300 passengers an hour with 8000 in the queue or waiting in aircraft.

worldtraveler

Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:18 am

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 9):
I think the problem, though, is that these are inbound international flights, meaning that they can't be 'released' on to US soil until CBP has processed them -- so the gate that they would 'return to' is either their country of origin or another airport with immigration services (such as ONT or LAS, where aircraft in the air were being diverted) and not as simple as just pulling a jetway up to the plane.

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 20):
It's not the same situation at all. Nor is this the cause of "all the airlines' problems." This is a big one day event.

It is exactly the same problem. The US governmnent has not invested in the infrastructure necessary to keep the aviation system running.

And the issue is not automation but process. Do you think businesses grind to a halt if their automation doesn't work? They either build the redundancy into their systems to keep business going during automation failures or else they develop processes that allow them to work around them, even if they slow to a lower speed.

Besides, Homeland Security wants airlines to transmit data to them within 15 minutes after a plane's departure - and they are trying to push that out even further. Why haven't they identified who they want to talk to or secondarily screen long before the plane landed. It is a 12 hr flight from CDG to LAX. There is no reason for a computer failure within a couple hours of landing to prevent the unloading of entire flights that have left their destinations half a day before the computers went down.

Don't make excuses for the government. They need to be forced to operate their business at the best in class standards of real business. They would be out of business if they had real competition.