Coal
Topic Author

Why No Glass Jetbridges In The US?

Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:57 pm

It seems weird that even at new terminals like MIA's J Concourse, JFK T9, SFO, etc, there are not glass jetways. Any regulation on this? Such a shame as it's a bit of an eyesore on the newer terminals.

Cheers
Coal
Nxt Flts: MI RGN-SIN | SQ SIN-RGN-SIN | CX SIN-HKG-PVG | SQ PVG-SIN

EI321

RE: Why No Glass Jetbridges In The US?

Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:01 pm

Why would there be a regulation? Im sure there are some.

picarus

Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:11 pm

As with everything else in the U.S., it probably comes down to a function of costs. While I agree that glass may be more aesthetically pleasing, there may be underlying operational reasons that make metal bridges a better choice for the bottom line.

I don't believe there are any regulations which prohibit glass.

Picarus

Coal
Topic Author

Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:20 pm

Quoting EI321 (Reply 1):
Im sure there are some

Nope

Quoting Picarus (Reply 2):
As with everything else in the U.S., it probably comes down to a function of costs. While I agree that glass may be more aesthetically pleasing, there may be underlying operational reasons that make metal bridges a better choice for the bottom line.

Do you think steel boxes are cheaper than glass? Methinks not. Plus, with that reasoning they would just make all terminals a big warehouse.

There's gotta be another reason.

Cheers
Coal

HowSwedeitis

Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:20 pm

Well, I just think it hasn't been done yet, or like Picarus said, because of costs. The glass structure at CDG was a terminal right? Or was it sky bridge? (Now, I don't think developers are fearing a terrible collapse as it happened in France, but they probably just haven't really wanted to build such a structure.)
Heja Sverige!!

DLPMMM

Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:30 pm

Quoting Coal (Reply 3):
Do you think steel boxes are cheaper than glass? Methinks not.

Methinks you would be wrong. Glass jetways are more expensive than the traditional jetways. FMC makes both types.

Here is a link

http://www.fmctechnologies.com/Airpo...ridges/ApronDrive/GlassBridge.aspx

Here is the quote that sums it up from their web site:

"Best of all, while delivering the total performance that has made Jetway Boarding Bridges the world's leader, the Glass Bridge option is much less expensive than its impressive looks might suggest."

Translation: "Yes they are more expensive, but not so much more expensive as they used to be, and look how pretty!"

picarus

Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:33 pm

Quoting Coal (Reply 3):
Do you think steel boxes are cheaper than glass? Methinks not. Plus, with that reasoning they would just make all terminals a big warehouse.

Actually, yes, I do. I can guarantee you that the metal boxes are cheaper than glass to acquire and maintain. There's no conclusion to be made about bridges vs. terminals. They serve entirely different purposes.

Picarus

777236ER

Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:29 pm

The reason is due to NFPA 415, Airport Terminal Buildings , Fueling Ramp Drainage, and Loading Walkways which prohibits glass except for a window in the ramp access door and a window in the cab to move the jetty. This is beacuse jetties are used as an evacuation route. From the NFPA themselves:

“The Committee’s intent of paragraph 6.2.4 has always been to restrict the use of glass and transparent or translucent materials in the passenger loading walkways to the minimum required for safe operation of the walkway. One of the main concerns is the psychological impact of people being able to see the flames and smoke, potentially negatively impacting the evacuation of the aircraft.”

An idea has been to use some sort of fixed-foam fire fighting system in glass jetties, but as far as I know, glass jetties are still banned in the US. Seems a little pointless to me, but there you go.

Edit: I think some people owe Coal an apology.

[Edited 2007-08-12 14:30:49]
Your bone's got a little machine

SwissA330

Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:46 pm

and it's more expensive to maintain as well.
Glass has to be cleaned every now and then, as we all now from our appartment windos. So does metal probably, but only to prevent corrosion etc, not to 'look shiny'
swissair/+/ we care

picarus

Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:08 pm

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 10):
The reason is due to NFPA 415, Airport Terminal Buildings , Fueling Ramp Drainage, and Loading Walkways which prohibits glass except for a window in the ramp access door and a window in the cab to move the jetty. This is beacuse jetties are used as an evacuation route.

I'm curious, it appears the NFPA not affiliated with any government entity, so it appears adoption of the codes is voluntary and enforcement is jurisdictional. Correct? Then is it possible that a airport could indeed install glass jetbridges if it's governing jurisdiction did not adopt the codes in question?

I'm not looking for a fight, but rather discussion on whether there is truly any regulatory reasons why an airport does not install glass bridges within the U.S.

Picarus

paparadzi

Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:16 pm

From a flight crew point of view, a glass jetway lets the crew to see the passangers before they board the aircraft. Any suspicious movement can be monitored from the cockpit, not to mention that you can monitor the progress of the boarding process too.
Rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

LHRBlueSkies

Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:21 pm

Quoting Paparadzi (Reply 17):
a glass jetway lets the crew to see the passangers before they board the aircraft. Any suspicious movement can be monitored from the cockpit, not to mention that you can monitor the progress of the boarding process too.

You gotta be kiddin', right!? Firstly only the PIC would be able to see the jetbridge. Secondly, surely they hav ebetter things to do, such as pre-flight checks. Thirdly, only useful for checkin out the young females boarding the flight (or males for those female PIC's!), and even then, the cockpit doorway is better, unless you're on a 747!
flying is the safest form of transport - until humans get involved!

nitrohelper

Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:46 pm

Quoting Picarus (Reply 16):
I'm curious, it appears the NFPA not affiliated with any government entity, so it appears adoption of the codes is voluntary and enforcement is jurisdictional. Correct?

The NFPA codes are incorporated into building codes by reference. The NFPA is used by all the national building codes. A second issue is that you will find it very difficult to get fire insurance coverage for your facility if it doesn't conform to NFPA standards.

Boeing7E7

Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:48 pm

Quoting Coal (Reply 3):
Do you think steel boxes are cheaper than glass?

Glass wall JetBridges are about 30% higher in cost than corrugated metal.

777236ER

Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:49 pm

I'm curious, it appears the NFPA not affiliated with any government entity, so it appears adoption of the codes is voluntary and enforcement is jurisdictional. Correct? Then is it possible that a airport could indeed install glass jetbridges if it's governing jurisdiction did not adopt the codes in question?

I'm not looking for a fight, but rather discussion on whether there is truly any regulatory reasons why an airport does not install glass bridges within the U.S.

IIRC, there's nothing in Part 139 that prohibits glass jetways. However, the Part 139 Best Practises suggests NFPA compliance, and remember that NFPA codes are developed under ANSI codes.

There are other reasons why airports would choose to adhere to NFPA codes. Insurers will often demand it, or put premiums up if airports don't comply, union issues can crop up, and airports would have a tough time defending themselves from criminal and civil cases should the worst happen.
Your bone's got a little machine

102IAHexpress

Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:50 pm

Hmm…standing in a glass tube in the middle of August in ATL, IAH, MIA, DFW, etc…
I vote no.

LHRBlueSkies

Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:00 pm

Quoting 102IAHexpress (Reply 23):
standing in a glass tube in the middle of August

Hmmm...wonderful new contraption...air conditioning!!!!

102IAHexpress

Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:14 pm

Oh yeah, silly me. I forgot about air conditioning.  
I only live in the part of the world where the AC is blasting 24/7 10 months of the year. AC is not cheap, and glass tubes don’t make it any cheaper.

[Edited 2007-08-12 16:16:18]

InnocuousFox

Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:26 pm

In YVR...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/40/JetwayAtVancouverBC.jpg/800px-JetwayAtVancouverBC.jpg

Thweeeeeettt!
Dave Mark - Intrinsic Algorithm - Reducing the world to mathematical equations!

zanl188

Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:32 pm

Hmm…standing in a glass tube in the middle of August in ATL, IAH, MIA, DFW, etc…
I vote no.

Standing in a steel box is no better. The difference is you can insulate that steel box much better than you can the glass tube.
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

PAHS200

Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:33 pm

Quoting EI321 (Reply 1):
Why would there be a regulation?

because it the USA....  Wink

Quoting Coal (Thread starter):
Such a shame as it's a bit of an eyesore on the newer terminals.

it is...and we can't look out of them

michael

lincoln

Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:34 pm

As others have pointed out, while the NFPA is not directly affiliated with a governmental entity (they are a non-profit independent org) their "model codes" like the National Electric Code [NEC], the National Life Safety Code [NLSC], etc. are adopted by reference or as ammended by a large number of jurisdictions, frequently at the state level as well [for example, California's California Electric Code [CEC] is based almost entirely on the previous NEC].

Even when it's not a code requirement (or a requirement not enforced by the Authority Having Jurisdiction*) insurance companies often require compliance with the stricter/"more safe" of either local code or the NFPA model code.

And even when it's not required locally or by the insurer, "ignoring" a NFPA model code may have liability implications should an unfourtunate event occur -- i.e. in this case the argument could be made that the airport should have reasonably known that using a glass jet bridge would slow evacuation, and therefore the death/injury/mental trauma was due to their neglegence by using a glass jet bridge rather than a metal one (or something like that, I'm not a lawyer - I just read caselaw).

But hey, I wouldn't mind seeing a glass jetway either...

Lincoln

*- In most NFPA codes the AHJ is, in escence, free to waive any regulation or to require something over and above the regulation
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

srbmod

Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:55 pm

I vote no.

The glass used in those jetways is double paned and insulated. From the link to FMC's page on Glass Bridges:

Quote:
At the same time, double-pane glass with argon fill is available to reduce condensation and thermal transfer, adding real-world practicality to aesthetic beauty.

Most residential and commercial windows on the market these day are similar and help reduce energy costs. Although they would have to make sure the roll-up door at the end of the jetway is pulled down when the jetway is not in use (that way they can properly cool the jetway.

Most airports would probably never go for them as they really don't go with the terminal architecture.

zanl188

Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:17 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 30):
The glass used in those jetways is double paned and insulated.

Isn't physics easier when you can just ignore all that pesky science, particularly in this case greenhouse effect!!

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/thermo/grnhse.html

Coal
Topic Author

Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:21 am

I vote no.

Why would you be standing in the jetway? You're in it for about 10 seconds, tops! Oh way, you're an A.netter  wink 

Cheers
Coal

Glareskin

Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:21 am

Quoting ZANL188 (Reply 31):
Isn't physics easier when you can just ignore all that pesky science, particularly in this case greenhouse effect!!

And still modern glass with reflecting surfaces might reduce heating in the jet bridge better than the practically non-insulated steel bridges. Of course A/C is a necessity in both cases....
There's still a long way to go before all the alliances deserve a star...

srbmod

Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:25 am

Quoting ZANL188 (Reply 31):

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu....html

Car windows and greenhouse windows typically aren't double paned and insulated like the windows being used to today on new buildings and as replacement window for older building (many people are replacing their older single paned windows with double paned insulated windows to help reduce energy costs).

http://www.aceee.org/consumerguide/windows.htm
http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=windows_doors.pr_anat_window

cloudboy

Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:26 am

WIthi a giant moving long tube of glass panels, god knows how many poor jetway "drivers" and all the stresses a jetway goes through, do those glass jetways even hold up? I would imagine they would pretty much shake themselves loose of get all cracked from regular use.
"Six becoming three doesn't create more Americans that want to fly." -Adam Pilarski

zenarcade

Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:33 am

From reading previous threads I was under the impression that jet-bridges are the airlines responsibility. American carriers may not want to shell out the money / have existing learn term business relationships with manufacturers that do not provide a glass product.

Would it be possible that individual airports have a policy regarding jet-bridges to provide a uniform look?
If a plane falls on the tarmac and no one is there, does it make any sound? - Starlionblue

102IAHexpress

Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:33 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 30):
The glass used in those jetways is double paned and insulated. From the link to FMC's page on Glass Bridges:

Still would be warmer than a conventional steel jet bridge.

If the jetbridge was constructed out of electric translucent glass maybe it could it be cooler than a steel jetbridge. With that application you could make the glass transparent only when in use and switch it to translucent when not in use.

jsnww81

Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:36 am

I've often wondered this myself. Which each new terminal that opens in the US, I keep hoping that maybe some glass jetways will appear. I've used them in Europe (ZRH, MAD, CPH, BRU) and it's nice to be able to see the aircraft you're boarding, even though the glass is often smeared or fogged up.

Of course, it's not just as US phenomenon... they've just installed the jetbridges for Heathrow Terminal 5 and they're the conventional steel variety. But that's surely BAA's decision... you can't slap HSBC advertisements on every flat surface of a glass jetway, after all!

zenarcade

Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:39 am

Quoting Jsnww81 (Reply 38):
you can't slap HSBC advertisements on every flat surface of a glass jetway, after all!

Double sided advertising with adverts for pilots.  Smile
If a plane falls on the tarmac and no one is there, does it make any sound? - Starlionblue

zanl188

Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:15 am

Quoting Glareskin (Reply 33):
And still modern glass with reflecting surfaces might reduce heating in the jet bridge better than the practically non-insulated steel bridges.

Unfortunately those reflecting surfaces and coatings defeat the architectural point of using glass in a jetway - transparency.

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 34):
Car windows and greenhouse windows typically aren't double paned and insulated like the windows being used to today on new buildings and as replacement window for older building

You're still ignoring the science. Double-paning only traps the thermal energy, it does nothing to address the greenhouse effect -

Green house effect = where the short wavelengths of visible light from the sun pass through a transparent medium (your double-paned glass) and are absorbed (by people, jetway carpet, structure, etc), but the longer wavelengths of the infrared re-radiation from the heated objects (people, jetway objects, etc) are unable to pass through that medium. The trapping of the long wavelength radiation leads to more heating and a higher resultant temperature.

laymans terms: Sunlight comes into the jetway thru the double-paned windows (which sunlight ignores). Sunlight is absorbed by the objects in the jetway and reradiated as heat. Resulting heat is trapped, very effectively by the way, by your double paned window.

Yes your double-paned windows actually help heat the jetway up!! Double-paned windows don't care if the thermal energy is trying to get in (in the jetway cooling case) or out (in the jetway greenhouse heating case), they are designed to stop the transfer of thermal energy either direction....

luisca

Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:27 am

Hmm...standing in a glass tube in the middle of August in ATL, IAH, MIA, DFW, etc...
I vote no.

All of the jetways and terminal are glass at PTY, were average temperatures are in the 30s and it is hot all year. Even if it is more costly the terminal is more aesthetically pleasing, and us plane nuts get one hell of a view.
If it ain't Boeing (or Embraer ;-)) I ain't Going!

tdscanuck

Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:40 am

Quoting Cloudboy (Reply 35):
WIthi a giant moving long tube of glass panels, god knows how many poor jetway "drivers" and all the stresses a jetway goes through, do those glass jetways even hold up? I would imagine they would pretty much shake themselves loose of get all cracked from regular use.

You couldn't carry jetway loads through the windows. You'd need a metal (steel) truss structure to handle the loads and flexible mounting between the windows and the truss to prevent stress being transferred to the window.

It would probably end up much heavier than a normal steel jetway.

Tom.

B52overSMF

Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:46 am

It could also be just so that the passengers can't see the usually dirty dirty workings that go on underneath the terminal building or all the rampers taking a break in the smoking area.  Wink

flyabunch

Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:59 am

From my own experience, jet bridges in the U.S. all look like they are cleaned about once a year if that. If they had glass wall panels, there would be a need to clean them a lot more often or they would be pretty dingy. Between diesel and Jet fuel soot and weather, they would look pretty bad pretty fast. And, with people bumping and leaning on the inside, they would need frequent wipe downs.

Glass jetways = higher maintenance costs = forget it.

Mike

InnocuousFox

Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:02 am

Of course, we could simply put windows in them.
Dave Mark - Intrinsic Algorithm - Reducing the world to mathematical equations!

DfwRevolution

Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:03 am

Quoting Coal (Thread starter):
Such a shame as it's a bit of an eyesore on the newer terminals.

Quoting Coal (Reply 3):
Plus, with that reasoning they would just make all terminals a big warehouse.

And maybe that's all a terminal should be. Airports have become shrines where the local government spends millions of dollars of taxpayer money for extravagant architecture and beautification that serves no functional purpose. Heck, four people would be alive today if CDG Terminal 2E was just a "warehouse" design. If it's comfortable, clean, and well-lit, what more do we need? Marble floors, glass facades, and modern art sculptures are an unscrupulous use of public funds at an airport.

san747

Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:08 am

ONT has 4 of them now- gates 205, 206, 405, and 406. They're actually extensions of the original jetways due to new TSA screening areas being built underneath. At any rate, they're pretty slick looking.
Scotty doesn't know...

jcded

Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:22 am

Ontario (ONT )airport in California has glass jet bridges.

jc
You breathe to do good and have fun.

PPVRA

Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:22 am

Quoting Swissa330 (Reply 13):
and it's more expensive to maintain as well.
Glass has to be cleaned every now and then, as we all now from our appartment windos. So does metal probably, but only to prevent corrosion etc, not to 'look shiny'

Don't forget metal is more ramp rash resistant.

Quoting Flyabunch (Reply 46):

Glass jetways = higher maintenance costs = forget it.

Yup, especially when you've got something like 100 (just a guess) jet bridges to maintain in ATL, for example. That's just a no-brainer to avoid.

In the ATL case, there really isn't much to look at anyways.
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

airportplan

Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:35 am

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 52):
Yup, especially when you've got something like 100 (just a guess) jet bridges to maintain in ATL, for example. That's just a no-brainer to avoid.

In the ATL case, there really isn't much to look at anyways

ATL actually has closer to 200 gates. So yes, it is a no brainer to have cheaper, easier to maintain steel bridges.

sjc4me

Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:17 am

Quoting San747 (Reply 49):
ONT has 4 of them now- gates 205, 206, 405, and 406. They're actually extensions of the original jetways due to new TSA screening areas being built underneath. At any rate, they're pretty slick looking.

Quoting Jcded (Reply 51):

Yes and I think they justified the expense because they are trying to compete with LAX for business. Of course people aren't going to use ONT because of the glass bridges, but they can certainly advertise it as something great to make it look more important than it is.
Unable.

Glareskin

Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:37 am

Quoting ZANL188 (Reply 40):
Quoting Glareskin (Reply 33):
And still modern glass with reflecting surfaces might reduce heating in the jet bridge better than the practically non-insulated steel bridges.

Unfortunately those reflecting surfaces and coatings defeat the architectural point of using glass in a jetway - transparency.

You can hardly see the material that I mean. It is hardly influencing the transparency. It is available as sticker material for retrofitting. The effect is amazing.
There's still a long way to go before all the alliances deserve a star...

lincoln

Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:41 am

Quoting Jcded (Reply 51):

Where (which terminal/gates)...? When I've flown through ONT we've boarded through standard bridges.... still a step up from the old ONT terminal in terms of technology!
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

LHRBlueSkies

Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:42 am

Quoting Cloudboy (Reply 35):
I would imagine they would pretty much shake themselves loose of get all cracked from regular use.

You've obviously never used a jetbridge!!

Quoting Zenarcade (Reply 36):
jet-bridges are the airlines responsibility

ha ha..maybe in the states, where airlines lease the terminals...but over here in Europe they remain the property and responsibility of the airport...

Quoting Zenarcade (Reply 36):
individual airports have a policy regarding jet-bridges to provide a uniform look?

Yeah sure!! In theory, but as terminals are generally constructed in different decades, the airbridge design will change before the terminal - hence little or no continuity..

Quoting Jsnww81 (Reply 38):
BAA's decision... you can't slap HSBC advertisements on every flat surface of a glass jetway, after all!

Want to put a bet on it! BAA can slap advertising anywhere!

sllevin

Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:37 am

You have to spend money to keep glass clean, and it's also a bear to cool since it's fundamentally a greenhouse. In MIA...holy moly.

Steve

Poitin

Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:41 am

Quoting DLPMMM (Reply 5):
"Best of all, while delivering the total performance that has made Jetway Boarding Bridges the world's leader, the Glass Bridge option is much less expensive than its impressive looks might suggest."

Translation: "Yes they are more expensive, but not so much more expensive as they used to be, and look how pretty!"

So, why should the airport owners put money into glass jetways if they are just going to be use to let passengers walk from the terminal to the airplane and back taking perhaps two minutes? While pretty, they do cost more and the money can be spent better on nicer waiting areas and such.
Now so, have ye time fer a pint?

san747

Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:43 am

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 56):
Where (which terminal/gates)...? When I've flown through ONT we've boarded through standard bridges.... still a step up from the old ONT terminal in terms of technology!

Note my previous response-

Quoting San747 (Reply 49):
ONT has 4 of them now- gates 205, 206, 405, and 406.

Both terminal 2 and 4, and the gates listed above.
Scotty doesn't know...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos