gilesdavies

Any Airline Likely To Pick Up The LHR-SNN Route?

Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:17 pm

I have just been reading all the press coverage and the shock that the SNN-LHR route has had the plug pulled on it by Aer Lingus...

According to some of the reports I have read, the BFS-LHR route will be up to four times more profitiable and comes as no shock from insiders in the industry the route has had the plug pulled on it and swtiched to Belfast. If this is the true and the harsh reality of the rotue then it makes commercial sense what Aer Lingus are doing.

Shannon Airport is supposed to be campaigning to keep the route and is approaching other airlines like British Airways, CityJet, BMI and BMIbaby.

Would any of these airlines really be interested in flying the route, if Aer Lingus struggle to make it work??? I personally don't think any them would want to, Aer Lingus has retained its BA cosdeshare on the flight offering onward worldwide conenctions and if they cannot fill it with this traffic and O&D, what chances does any other airline have.

As these flights would need to fly into LHR at peak hours, how is another airline going to obtain these slots or without sacrificing routes they currently fly, to what could potentially be a loss making route! If an airline does pick the route up, I think BMI is the likely candidate - but would not hold my breath! Or could this be a chance for an airline like Lufthansa, KLM or Air France to start flying a route and open up conenctions from their main hub, with maybe an BAe 146, Fokker 70 or other regional jet...

Shannon still boasts five daily flights to the London area with FR to STN, LGW and LTN, I would have thought these would be enough.

BestWestern

RE: Any Airline Likely To Pick Up The LHR-SNN Route?

Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:21 pm

Discussed ad nausium in the Irish thread.
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

theginge

Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:34 pm

I would guess none as the slots can be used on more valuable routes, hence why Aer Lingus is pulling out.

Revo

Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:41 pm

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 1):
Discussed ad nausium in the Irish thread.

For god sake, not everybody reads the Irish thread, i myself am not irish, so i will not go through all 200 replies, looking for this topic.
That is why this thread has been created!