stealth777

When Did VS Get Rid Of The Flag Carrying Lady?

Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:16 am

Ok it's been several occasions where I have seen VS arrive SFO, but by the cockpit the young lady carrying the British flag is no more. The aircraft I saw today was G-VHOT and she didn't have it on her. I also haven't seen it on the "other" VS 747's (but cant be sure of the other regs since I am spotting from my office window). I looked in the database but could not find one that did not have the lady upfront except for G-VFAB (that's of course she's in the birthday scheme). Can anyone else confirm what my eyes keeps on seeing with VS or are my eyes playing some pretty good tricks on me.  Confused

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Gordon Gebert JR
View Large View Medium

Photo © Nathan Zalcman - AirTeamImages

So what I see is identical to G-VFAB in the front but the tail scheme is identical to G-VHOT just to point out what I see.

Does anyone know why she's going away?

-Stealth

swiftski

RE: When Did VS Get Rid Of The Flag Carrying Lady?

Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:24 am

The new VS livery currently includes the "flag carrying lady", as you put it.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Chris Lofting

aussiestu

Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:39 am

Have to say that I have not seen a VS lady without the flag except VFAB with the birthday flag. And what a beautiful sight she is! Anyone with a latest shot may atest to your info but have to say all the girls I see have the flag flying.

srbmod

Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:14 am

The livery on G-VFAB was a one-off special "Birthday Girl" livery celebrating the airline's 21st birthday. The rest of the fleet maintains the Vargas Girl pinup in the usual location on the fuselage.

stealth777

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:00 am

Alright Just saw G-VHOT (got the reg from passur) taxi out. The lady is missing and from I can see with the sun reflecting on the body, It has been painted over and it also appears the titles have changed slightly. I wonder if she's the next one to be repainted into the new livery, or maybe she was going to be but becuase of the needed capacity they are going to wait until the summer season is over. So I saw it twice today and both sides did not have the lady. someone catch her on her arrival tomorrow (Aug. 14) at LHR and prove I am not going crazy..

-stealth

flytuitravel

Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:00 pm

Her names Tinkerbelle.....
I think.. LOL

FLYTUITRAVEL.

nighthawk

Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:40 pm

I remember reading a while ago that there were a few issues with virgin wanting to start flights to the middle east, as the lady on the fuselage would be seen as offensive over there.

Perhaps virgin has a couple of aircraft without the lady, which are used for service to such countries?

Revo

Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:58 pm

VS were told to remove the lady as it was thought to be offensive.

VgnAtl747

Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:16 pm

I flew -VHOT a couple weeks ago EWR-LHR-EWR... there was no lady present on either side of the aircraft.
Work Hard. Fly Right. Continental Airlines

stealth777

Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:05 am

Thank you VGNATL. I knew I wasn't losing my mind or sight. crazy  Just surprised it took this long to validate what I saw.

OB1504

Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:09 am

Quoting Revo (Reply 7):

Let's hope G-VFAB is never subbed onto a Middle Eastern flight, then!  duck 

sevenheavy

Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:17 am

G-VHOT has been missing the flying lady decals for a good couple of months now. It is the only aircraft (except for G-VFAB which is still in the one-off birthday girl livery) without it and there are no plans (that I know of) to actively remove her from the fleet.

G-VHOT did have the profile of the flying lady painted over in a union jack design for a relief flight to Basra a couple of years back but this is unrelated. I believe they were removed for some kind of maintainence/skin inspection and new ones have yet to be applied.

Regards
So long 701, it was nice knowing you.

trent900

Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:22 am

Quoting Revo (Reply 7):

How can it be offensive? After all its not as though she's completely naked.

D.

AlitaliaMD11

Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:38 am

I saw G-VHOT the other day at JFK and was wondering the same thing:

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k170/swfshots/virginatlantic744jfk.jpg

And by the way, thanks for linking to my G-VFAB shot! Big grin
No Vueling No Party

Leezyjet

Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:02 am

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 6):
I remember reading a while ago that there were a few issues with virgin wanting to start flights to the middle east, as the lady on the fuselage would be seen as offensive over there.

Well they certainly don't mind her in Dubai !!.

IIRC that is one of the reasons VS chose not to fly to Saudi Arabia after BA pulled out, despite being asked to by the British Government, as they were not prepared to remove the Varga Girl from the aircraft.

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

scott0305

Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:22 am

Sad. It's not like it is a swastica or anything. Would any of the US airlines remove the US flag if it were offensive to any middle easterners while on the ground there....I think not. Put the girl back and stop being silly.

Leezyjet

Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:26 am

Quoting Scott0305 (Reply 15):
Put the girl back and stop being silly

Woah easy there tiger. Did you not read the whole thread, or in particular the reply posted by SevenHeavy ?.

Wink
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

scott0305

Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:39 am

Quoting Leezyjet (Reply 16):
Woah easy there tiger. Did you not read the whole thread, or in particular the reply posted by SevenHeavy ?.

I did but I also read reply 7 by Revo.

Perhaps I should rephrase. If it is indeed the case that the lady has been removed because she is seen to be offensive in places where oppresive regimes limit the rights of women then VS should put her back. If it is just a maintenance thing then I withdraw my comment.

sevenheavy

Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:58 am

Quoting Revo (Reply 7):

Not true. May I ask your source?

As previously pointed out VS fly into the Middle east, Africa and India and do not experience any issues with the current (or any previous) livery.

As I said it was essentially a maintainence issue, nothing more.

Regards
So long 701, it was nice knowing you.

stealth777

Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:09 am

so does that mean she'll be next to be painted into the new scheme?

anglo2

Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:22 am

Go on Virgin keep the girl and sod those who find it offensive. I suppose next the female crew members will have to cover up from head to to just keep every one happy.

LTU932

Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:37 am

Quoting Leezyjet (Reply 14):
IIRC that is one of the reasons VS chose not to fly to Saudi Arabia after BA pulled out, despite being asked to by the British Government, as they were not prepared to remove the Varga Girl from the aircraft.

VS did cover up the Flag Carrying Lady when flying to Basra for a special charter. They simply put a decal over it with the Union Jack.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Alastair T. Gardiner - WorldAirImages

As the caption says, it was done out of respect for Islamic tradition.