Fly2CHC
Topic Author

Why Are National Flags Backwards On MH Aircraft?

Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:30 pm

I've always wondered why one side of MH aircraft have the correct national flag position, whereas on the other side it is reversed with the cresent in the right hand corner (and therefore looks very bizaare). Is there a logical explanation for this? I can't believe it would be due to saving cost in template duplication.

Have a look at the following link (sorry, couldn't attach):

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?i...=4&prev_id=1246468&next_id=1246054

I have noticed this with other carriers too.

jetfuel

RE: Why Are National Flags Backwards On MH Aircraft?

Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:37 pm

I wondered the same thing when I ordered some flags for my own plane. When I came to stick them on one was backwards. Then I realised that one one has to fly the flag, so obviously it will be blown back with the wind
Where's the passion gone out of the airline industry? The smell of jetfuel and the romance of taking a flight....

F9Animal

Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:28 pm

Quoting Jetfuel (Reply 1):
Then I realised that one one has to fly the flag, so obviously it will be blown back with the wind

Your right. Even US flags on the right side of aircraft will usually be backwards. This is done to show the direction the flag would be facing while flying.
I Am A Different Animal!!

cgnnrw

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:19 pm

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 2):
Your right. Even US flags on the right side of aircraft will usually be backwards. This is done to show the direction the flag would be facing while flying.

Believe it or not I was going to post such a question after seeing several US airliners at CDG last week. Thanks for the beating me to it and clearing that up for me.
A330 man.

Fly2CHC
Topic Author

Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:59 pm

Quoting Cgnnrw (Reply 3):
This is done to show the direction the flag would be facing while flying.

But why is it so important? To me it just looks too wierd.

F9Animal

Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:52 pm

Quoting Cgnnrw (Reply 3):
Believe it or not I was going to post such a question after seeing several US airliners at CDG last week. Thanks for the beating me to it and clearing that up for me.

Your very welcome! I had asked the question years ago to a pilot. It totally made sense after he explained it to me.

Quoting Fly2CHC (Reply 4):
But why is it so important? To me it just looks too wierd.

I agree, it does look weird. But, I guess it is just the way it has been for some time. I would really be curious as to who started this? I would bet it goes waaay back to the WWI days.
I Am A Different Animal!!

EI321

Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:04 pm

The idea is that the flag will always appear as if it is a real flag in the wind. This is how they look on ships.