jetbluefan1

JetBlue To Launch BOS-SDQ

Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:57 pm

http://business.bostonherald.com/bus...nessNews/view.bg?articleid=1017228

Will start off operating for just one month, and then bookings will be assessed and a determination will be made whether or not to continue the route. Seems pretty smart to me. This will also be B6's first international route out of BOS without pre-clearing at the origin airport (AUA and NAS have pre-clearance).

Thoughts?

JetBluefan1

MAH4546

RE: JetBlue To Launch BOS-SDQ

Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:01 pm

This won't work as a year-round daily service, but will do great during peak travel.
a.

jetbluefan1

Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:30 pm

Would Saturday-only or Friday/Saturday/Sunday service work? I'm not familiar with the Bostonian-Dominican demographic. I know that those JFK-SDQ/STI flights go out full on a daily basis, but Boston isn't NYC.

JetBluefan1

MAH4546

Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:57 pm

Quoting JetBluefan1 (Reply 2):
Would Saturday-only or Friday/Saturday/Sunday service work? I'm not familiar with the Bostonian-Dominican demographic. I know that those JFK-SDQ/STI flights go out full on a daily basis, but Boston isn't NYC.

2-3x weekly year-round should work, but the market is low-yielding and nowhere near as large as JFK-SDQ. The traffic and yields are only there during peak travel to make it daily. AA has tried to run this route daily multiple times, but never to much success.
a.

jetbluefan1

Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:28 pm

Would the same thing go for STI?

(The Globe reported it wrong. The service will be to STI, not SDQ.)

JetBluefan1

B752OS

Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:52 pm

You said it right there my friend, Boston is no NYC, or even an Orlando or Tampa. One thing most people are aware of is the large hispanic population throughout the entire Boston area. Granted it is not as large as the likes of NYC or Los Angeles, it is pretty sizeable given the distance from the Latin America Region.

This wil be a nice help with increasing international traffic out of Logan, which saw a solid 7.8% gain for the month of June and the same gains are expected for July and August. The help this flight will give of course will be during the winter months.

airbazar

Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:03 pm

I'm not familiar with the Bostonian-Dominican demographic.

It's not a big market but there certainly is more demand than supply, especially in Winter. AA choses to funnel all their DR traffic through MIA or SJU and US only has a weekly non-stop. It is a low yielding route but isn't that where LCC's make their money? The thing I don't like is the times. I don't understand why B6 continues to insist on red-eye flight to the Caribbean. That is not going to be a popular flight, I guarantee you that and if they don't change the times this route wil be dropped after 1 month.

jetbluefan1

Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:39 am

JetBlue runs these red-eyes out of JFK not only to STI, but also to SDQ, PCE, and BQN. They have been very, very successful for JetBlue. It seems that VFR traffic, which BOS-STI will cater to, prefers such flight times. In addition, this is use of an aircraft that would otherwise be parked.

JetBluefan1

b752fanatic

Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:50 am

This means that B6 is doing good on the JFK - SDQ run, despite that in the first attempt they pulled out. It seems that flying during the day rather than those awful night flights works for the Dominican people wishing to travel to DR.

However, if AA does not operate daily on this flight, my opinion is that it won't last. And that's why they are doing it as a trial for a month, very good indeed. Won't make the same mistake as DL and drop FLL-SDQ after just a few months.
"Truth is more of a stranger than fiction." Mark Twain

mtb555

Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:52 am

Quoting Airbazar (Reply 6):
I don't understand why B6 continues to insist on red-eye flight to the Caribbean. That is not going to be a popular flight, I guarantee you that and if they don't change the times this route wil be dropped after 1 month.

The red-eyes to BQN, PSE and STI are indeed popular and consistently booked to or near capacity. SDQ took some time to build a base on the late flight, but is also doing well now.
These flights are not going anywhere. They are good sellers, in addition to the morning flights to BQN, STI and SDQ.

mtb555

Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:53 am

also, this is BOS-STI, not BOS-SDQ. Service is to Santiago, not Santo Domingo.

md90fan

Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:32 am

Quoting Airbazar (Reply 6):
That is not going to be a popular flight, I guarantee you that and if they don't change the times this route wil be dropped after 1 month.

Why? In reality it does work, you may want to check out their JFK-SDQ flights (3:42 AM arrival) and JFK-STI (3:34 AM arrival). These flights are relatively popular with the Dominican community in NYC (namely Washington Heights).

B6 also runs redeyes (or has) to Fort Lauderdale and Puerto Rico.
http://www.devanwells.blogspot.com/

jcarv

Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:14 am

Quoting JetBluefan1 (Thread starter):
This will also be B6's first international route out of BOS without pre-clearing at the origin airport (AUA and NAS have pre-clearance).

Not true. B6 has been doing CUN flights since spring '07.

jetbluefan1

Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:38 pm

Quoting Jcarv (Reply 12):
Not true. B6 has been doing CUN flights since spring '07.

I'm pretty sure CUN has pre-clearance. If not, then do the CUN flight arrive at Terminal E?

JetBluefan1

MAH4546

Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:39 pm

Quoting JetBluefan1 (Reply 13):

I'm pretty sure CUN has pre-clearance. If not, then do the CUN flight arrive at Terminal E?

No, Cancun does not pre-clear, but they have been working to get pre-clearance.
a.

aajfksjubklyn

Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:27 pm

Rhode Island has a heavy Dominican population. Its great for the flights, but where ever will they stow the luggage? Maybe they can get those cargo holders at Sears..  Smile

B752OS

Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:07 pm

Sticking with the topic of B6 and BOS, there is a chance that they will resume their PHX flight come the winter season.

JetBlue spokesman Sebastian White said, "We think there's still a lot of opportunity to expand our low-fare flights to places across the US and into the Caribbean, Mexico, and Canada. We think the airport still sorely lacks meaningful low-fare competition beyond our network." A flight to Phoenix canceled last spring may return for the winter season also, White said.

http://www.boston.com/business/globe...unters_levels_off_at_logan/?page=2

airbazar

Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:35 pm

Quoting JetBluefan1 (Reply 7):
JetBlue runs these red-eyes out of JFK not only to STI, but also to SDQ, PCE, and BQN. They have been very, very successful for JetBlue.

Quoting MD90fan (Reply 11):
Why? In reality it does work, you may want to check out their JFK-SDQ flights

Boston and New York are two very different cities both in volume of passengers to the DR and our willingness to stay up late at night  Smile

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos