A huge intermodel transportation complex is being designed to be built in between New Orleans, LA and Baton Rouge, LA, on the banks of the Mississippi River. The size of this facility is simply unblieveable. Over 400 million dollars worth of funding is in place for this mammoth to be built. Will it be built? I don't know. If it does, however, watch out Houston and Miami!!!
Some of the the features of this gargantuan facility:
* Huge airport featuring several giant terminals, 6 12,000ft. long runways, and a cargo area larger than MIA.
* Nonstop flights to Asia, Europe, and South America
* Gigantic river port, allowing ocean-going freight to be transported directly from plane to ship, and vice versa.
* Enormous railroad complex, connecting the aiport and river port with the rest of the U.S.
* High-speed train service from the metro New Orleans area, connecting with all areas of the facility.
So as you can see, this thing, if built, will be incredible. It will employ thousands of people, and could be completed by 2005 or so. The local news down here in N.O had a nice story about this a few days ago. Needless to say, I was, and still am, in awe.
Stephen in MSY(New Orleans)