kaitak

A 37th Dose Of Irish Aviation!

Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:13 am

Good evening folks and welcome to thread 37/07!

Well, what an August it has been! Near strike, more share purchases, govt climbing (very gingerly) off the fence. Is there no end to the excitement August can bring us?

It's a big relief that the EI pilot strike has ended, although I see in this evening's news that the talks have stopped ... for the rest of this week? Sounds a bit odd to me; surely if they've made progress, they could continue. (They have made progress - and don't call me Shirley!)

Anyway, FR's gameplan still remains a mystery. The Indo today suggested that it was MO'L upping the ante with Our Great Leader, de Dark Lord of Drumcondra ... Seriously, though, this does need some thought. If he can't buy anymore than .55%, what's his plan? A poster on PPRUNE suggested that his plan was to twist Bertie's arm into letting him have his own terminal at DUB; possibly, but doesn't ring true. Competition issues still apply.

So, what's next? Well, if someone asked any of us a month ago to predict what would happen in August, I think we'd have been pretty surprised (even if there was already talk about SNN-LHR being axed). So, I'm not going to make any predictions going forward, apart from saying it will be very interesting.

In the immortal words of Bette Davis: fasten your seat belts, it's going to be a bumpy night!

OA260

RE: A 37th Dose Of Irish Aviation!

Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:17 am

Quoting Kaitak (Thread starter):
It's a big relief that the EI pilot strike has ended, although I see in this evening's news that the talks have stopped ... for the rest of this week? Sounds a bit odd to me; surely if they've made progress, they could continue. (They have made progress - and don't call me Shirley!)

I thought I heard it wrong when I saw the news. So they are going to stop talking for nearly a whole week!!! Sounds strange to me also .

EIBoston

Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:32 am

Quoting Kaitak (Thread starter):
Anyway, FR's gameplan still remains a mystery.

Well according to that article in the Indo FR have the whole lot of them in a right mess. The goverenment sure as hell don't want to vote on the SNN-LHR issue. Abstaining is the only way IMHO that Bertie and Co can go. So that leaves the ball in the employees court. They surely can't vote to accept the scrapping of the route. MOL can hardy contain himself with this latest piece of work. (of course this all assuming that he can get a motion to a vote at the EGM)

kaitak

Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:49 am

I think it's worth copying that Indo article here:

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...rn-with-new-share-buy-1063028.html

It is all very interesting indeed and although various ministers have suggested that MOL's intentions are unlikely to be altruistic (ya think?), it is an opportunity for employees to exercise some power, but will they? That's the thing - and, as the Tribune suggested on Friday, they may need 75% rather than 50%. Personally, I find the 75% claim a bit odd, because if the vote goes (say) 65:35 against EI management, it may fall short of the requirement, but it's still a moral victory. I suspect the govt will abstain; it's about all it can really do - sit on that fence which it has occupied for so long. However, I don't think we've seen the last of this issue yet, by a long stretch.

Can we just summarise EI shareholdings?:

FR 29.4%
Govt 25%
ESOT 12% ?
Pilots ?
Denis O'Brien 4% (?) - very unlikely to support MO'L
Institutional investors - ?

However, I have to say that I suspect there's more to this than meets the eye. There has to be. Let's say the vote goes MO'L's way; the airline has to (?) restore SNN-LHR. What does FR/MOL gain? Well, for a start, a new mgmt at EI which, MO'L/FR being the biggest shareholder, will be in a position to influence (i.e. can veto any CEO he doesn't want?). In other words, we have to look beyond just saving SNN-LHR. He has not just spent €37.5m for 4% more of EI just because he thinks SNN needs an LHR link!

tonymctigue

Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:00 am

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 3):
However, I have to say that I suspect there's more to this than meets the eye. There has to be. Let's say the vote goes MO'L's way; the airline has to (?) restore SNN-LHR. What does FR/MOL gain? Well, for a start, a new mgmt at EI which, MO'L/FR being the biggest shareholder, will be in a position to influence (i.e. can veto any CEO he doesn't want?). In other words, we have to look beyond just saving SNN-LHR. He has not just spent €37.5m for 4% more of EI just because he thinks SNN needs an LHR link!

No. MOL claerly has some alterior motive for doing this but it is anyones guess as to what that is. Apparently FR have reached the maximum permissible shareholding without making an all out bit for the reminder of the airline which of course is something they have already done & been shot down by the European Commission. What does this mean now? Can FR continue to buy stock or does this mean that they have to stop buying? Interesting times ahead.

This issue of talks being suspended for a week seems very odd indeed. I thought it was a misprint when I read it but it seems like these reports are correct. Looks like we'll be needing a few more threads before the end of August.
Airports: SNN GWY NOC DUB ORK BOS EWR JFK ORD MCI BOI SEA LHR STN CDG LYS FAO GVA HKG MEL ADL HBA

smokeyrosco

Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:56 am

Quoting Tonymctigue (Reply 4):
No. MOL claerly has some alterior motive for doing this but it is anyones guess as to what that is.

Of course he does, I have a few guesses what it might be, but I'm sure he might surprise me in the end even so.

On a personal note.

My parents booked an EI flight (about 2 months ago) to JFK flying out tomorrow, when the strike was called they changed it too Thursday (free of charge), yesterday after the strike was called off they had (and took) the option to change it back free of charge.

I've also booked a weekend in Oslo for myself flying SAS (kinda always wanted too since I used to handle them in DUB), DUB - CPH - OSL over and OSL - DUB back, I'm looking forward to it I have to say, I'm getting an MD80 under my belt for the trip over, 198 euro all in.
John Hancock

OA260

Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:59 am

Quoting Smokeyrosco (Reply 5):
I've also booked a weekend in Oslo for myself flying SAS (kinda always wanted too since I used to handle them in DUB), DUB - CPH - OSL over and OSL - DUB back, I'm looking forward to it I have to say, I'm getting an MD80 under my belt for the trip over, 198 euro all in.

Nice one. Do a TR . You will like SK and the MD-80 im sure.

smokeyrosco

Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:01 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 6):
Do a TR

hmmm, we'll see, I'm not the very Trip reportie type.
John Hancock

bx737

Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:50 am

I'm glad the strike was called off. It has been very interesting so far. The big question is what is MOL up to. Since the EU blocked the deal, FR has opened or announced more new routes in competition with EI. The lack of competition post FR/EI merger was one of the main reasons the merger was refused by the EU. Regarding putting someone on the board, surely a conflict of interest would arise resulting in the FR rep being kicked out of all board meetings.

On another topic, my outlaws are on holidays in the Algarve at the moment with Michael Stein Travel. They flew out with Flightline/Aviajet and told me there were 50 people on the flight. Whilst in resort they received a letter from their tour operator saying their return flight details have been changed. On Thursday they will be driven to Seville and will be flying back with EI. Thats some drive, anyone any idea why this is being done?

OA260

Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:19 am

Quoting Bx737 (Reply 8):
Michael Stein Travel

Quoting Bx737 (Reply 8):
On Thursday they will be driven to Seville and will be flying back with EI. Thats some drive, anyone any idea why this is being done?

Doesnt suprise me one bit !!! They are like Budget Travel !!! In other instances they have not sold enough seats so axe the charter flight and go onto EI.COM and more often Ryanair.com and book their passengers back that way !!! They must be raking it in.....Try using their booking system its even worse. Ive heard of peoples 7 night holiday turning into 6 nights with no compensation.

bx737

Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:41 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 9):
Doesnt suprise me one bit !!!

Interesting to have a different perspective on things. I would have thought they were quite good, you don't hear of the bad things about them. The question has to be asked if I walked into your travel agency (as I'm figuring you're a travel agent although more business travel than bucket and spade travel) and I wanted to go with Michael Stein that you would encourage me to use someone other tour operator. This is good to know for future reference.

OA260

Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:39 am

Quoting Bx737 (Reply 10):
I walked into your travel agency (as I'm figuring you're a travel agent although more business travel than bucket and spade travel) and I wanted to go with Michael Stein that you would encourage me to use someone other tour operator. This is good to know for future reference.

Well your right I do more high end market stuff and mostly business travel but have years of experience in all aspects of travel including airlines/accounts/sales/Even did my cabin crew training but thats more than 10 years ago, one flight and jacked it in !!! Long story lol....

If I was to be totally honest I do recommend certain companies over others as I see it as my duty to do so. Its my reputation thats on the line also. If someone has a good experience then they will say ''we booked through .......... in ....... and had a great time, we will go back to them next time and highly recommend them'' . Those are the comments I like to hear and strive always to make sure my clients are looked after. All staff in the company are highly trained with years of experience and have travelled extensively and worked abroad. We pride ourselves on our knowledge and are celebrating our 30th year of operation so I guess that says it all. If someone comes in and wants to book a certain company then we will offer honest advice without slandering any company but you cant lie to a client either. This year we have had very few complaints and the ones that did come in were about delayed flights which is a fact of life.

I know alot of other companies where the staff would sell you anything and dont know what they are selling and it makes me cringe when Ive been in certain places just to nosey and listen. For my corporates I check them in online and email them their boarding passes. I have often gotten tickets re issued for clients at the ticket desks when Ive been flying out of Dublin airport so the client does not have to que on the day. I guess thats why we have 85% of our clients that are repeat and often have been booking for the last 5-10 years. They appreciate the extra mile that we go.

[Edited 2007-08-22 01:41:56]

EI564

Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:49 am

My wild guess about MOL's plan. He wins vote. DM resigns because of the lack of support. A number of other senior management follow. Government desperately tries to find new CEO but nobody decent wants to lead such a company. Pure disarray for months and months. Unions get restless. EI's expansion plans wither. EI tries to fly to LHR from DUB/BFS/SNN and ORK. All suffer from the reorganised schedules. FR's London traffic grows. EI starts to lose money. Unions get more restless. Strikes. Bankruptcy.

While this is a worse case scenario, the more trouble MOL can throw at EI the better for him and FR. At best, some lawyer will show that this involvement in EI is anti-competitive (since he is effecting control over EI) and he will have to sell up. While I saw advantages in FR maintaining its shares in EI (destroying EI would mean it would lose money), clearly FR doesn't care about any losses in its investment and it is purely mischief making to detriment of EI.

OA260

Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:52 am

Quoting EI564 (Reply 12):
Government desperately tries to find new CEO but nobody decent wants to lead such a company. Pure disarray for months and months. Unions get restless. EI's expansion plans wither. EI tries to fly to LHR from DUB/BFS/SNN and ORK. All suffer from the reorganised schedules. FR's London traffic grows. EI starts to lose money. Unions get more restless. Strikes. Bankruptcy.

LOL....youd be good in Samaritans LOL..... Jesus I hope your wrong . Well at least for November/December anyway !!! Please no trouble for those months ...Ive got a few EI things booked  pray 

kaitak

Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:02 am

Quoting EI564 (Reply 12):
My wild guess about MOL's plan. He wins vote. DM resigns because of the lack of support. A number of other senior management follow. Government desperately tries to find new CEO but nobody decent wants to lead such a company. Pure disarray for months and months. Unions get restless. EI's expansion plans wither. EI tries to fly to LHR from DUB/BFS/SNN and ORK. All suffer from the reorganised schedules. FR's London traffic grows. EI starts to lose money. Unions get more restless. Strikes. Bankruptcy.

Unfortunately, I think you might be right here. The political consequences for the govt would be severe. However, I wonder if the trustees of the various funds (ESOT, pilots etc.) will see this. They'd look a right pack of charlies (to put it mildly) if they voted with FR and FR then proceeded to wreck the airline. It's about far more than SNN-LHR now.

I think MO'L's view is that "if I can't have it one way, I'll have it another". Create as much havoc as possible and then, when it's on its knees, VOOM ... in like a shot: the knight in (low cost, biodegradable) shining armour.

Can you imagine the political consequences for Bertie - not just in the west - if that were to happen? Ouch.

seanjohn

Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:27 pm

About time you guys got a hold of yourselves!
Was not aware that Michael O'Leary was God or, for that matter, the Devil!
Was also not aware that he owned Ryanair!
Was aware that he has a highly sophisticated board and a lot of shareholders
Was not aware that it was unacceptable for companies to make money in Ireland - someone forgot to tell the banks, etc
Ryanair's greatest asset is not Michael O'Leary but its cost ratio. If that slips then 'God' himself won't survive!
Maybe Ryanair believes that Belfast will be a success and therefore s sound investment - Aer Lingus shares pay dividends!

OA260
Sounds like you provide better service than some of the airlines your clients use!

Happy landings
J

tonymctigue

Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:40 pm

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 14):
I think MO'L's view is that "if I can't have it one way, I'll have it another". Create as much havoc as possible and then, when it's on its knees, VOOM ... in like a shot: the knight in (low cost, biodegradable) shining armour.

laughing   laughing   laughing 

Seriously though, if MO'L's plans are as being suggested here then "de Dark Lord of Drumcondra" as Kaitak calls him along with his new commission really need to find a replacement so that way the government can vote with EI management at the EGM without too much political fallout. This Cityjet SNN-LCY & SNN-CDG thing could work. There was a report on Ireland AM there the other morning where some buisness expert was being interviewed & she said that she had talked to buisness people in the region other than those who we see from the Atlantic Connectivity Alliance & she had asked them how they would feel about Cityjet operating SNN-LCY & SNN-CDG as opposed to EI's SNN-LHR service & most of them said that yes, they could work quite well with that arrangement.
Airports: SNN GWY NOC DUB ORK BOS EWR JFK ORD MCI BOI SEA LHR STN CDG LYS FAO GVA HKG MEL ADL HBA

OA260

Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:07 pm

Quoting Seanjohn (Reply 15):
OA260
Sounds like you provide better service than some of the airlines your clients use!

True. The standards of training and knowledge in the airlines has been slowly going down and down for years now. Long gone the days of the old school who actually knew their job inside out and used their initiative when problems arise. Alot of the time you get a blank expression on their face. Many a time when I have had problems I take matters into my own hands and sort it out myself. Saves alot of grief. There are still of course many highly trained individuals still in the airlines but they are by no means the majority.

seanjohn

Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:36 pm

OA260

By the way I should mention that I use the services of a travel agency, for most of my bookings. A company based here which is okay but with a fantastic employee - I guess similar to you in the services your provide. She knows what I want, and some times even before I do!!!

The occasional rant and rave usually gets problems solved - here anyway!

J

bx737

Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:45 pm

Unfortunately I would agree with OA260, problems are sometimes met with the "wha?" factor. There is not as much willingness to help out as there used to be. I think its symptomatic of business where the level of profit is now the driving factor rather than good customer service. In the case of EI from 2001 to date, all sections took hits in terms of staff reductions. Some sections namely pilots and cabin crews have seen their numbers rise, whereas the background sections such as customer service have not seen the numbers rise at all. Indeed the Director of Consumer Affairs complained publically about not being able to get a response from EI, a very visible demonstration of my point. Even look at how the strike was handled. Basically this showed a we don't give a damn attitude. It is annoying when pax have legitimate complaints about the whole package and want to talk to someone in the company about it. They realise that the cabin crew are not the ones to blame and will not be able to sort it. The crew know that there is no one in the background to handle this to the passengers satisfaction. DM is apparently reading all reports submitted by Cabin Managers to find out what the views of pax are, but whether anything will be done is another question. The cabin crew are still submitting the same reports about shortages of food on European flights nearly four years after the pay bar was introduced.

Having crossed swords with Seanjohn before, I now find myself agreeing with him. MOL is playing a tricky game. I think that there are problems with FR. A theory: FR realise that they have committed to far too many aircraft and need to buy EI to have a ready market for 30+ 737s. FR were able to hire out 2 737-800s to EI for 2 days during the height of the Summer season, why? If I were an FR shareholder I would be demanding an answer to that. FR has once again promised a bloodbath for the winter, is the market as bad as MOL is painting. This coupled with the grounding of 737s out of STN due to a dispute with the BAA. Is MOL trying to divert attention from a poor FR performance?

OA260

Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:46 pm

Quoting Seanjohn (Reply 18):
By the way I should mention that I use the services of a travel agency, for most of my bookings. A company based here which is okay but with a fantastic employee - I guess similar to you in the services your provide. She knows what I want, and some times even before I do!!!

The occasional rant and rave usually gets problems solved - here anyway!

Glad to hear it . You hear so many negative things about agents but there are a select few that still strive for their clients.
I might also add that independent agencies are often at the top for customer service.  thumbsup 

OA260

Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:48 pm

Some news snippets ::

Airline launches new financial services tie-ins - Ryanair has launched three new financial services tie-ins and repackaged its full financial portfolio into a new website. The new deals will see the Ryanair brand name used to sell house insurance, foreign exchange and prepaid Visa vouchers. The newcomers join Ryanair's existing financial services (including life assurance, travel assurance and credit cards) on Ryanairmoney.com
---------------------------------------------
UK watchdog rules that Ryanair ad about Eurostar was not true - The budget airline has been banned from claiming it was quicker and better value to take a plane rather than the train to the Belgian capital, after the Advertising Standards Authority upheld complaints that the promotion was misleading
Airline users lodge the most complaints - Air travellers were responsible for the largest portion of complaints to the Dublin-based European consumer body the European Consumer Centre last year.
Aer Arann may open new routes - Aer Arann is considering new routes to Britain from Kerry following higher than expected passenger numbers on the Kerry-Manchester route serving the British midlands.
--------------------------------------------
Ryanair to suspend Charleroi flights - Ryanair has suspended all flights from its hub at Charleroi near Brussels from November 12th because it wants a guarantee there will be no more wildcat strikes, a statement on its website said. The airport was paralysed by a strike on the weekend of 15th to 17th June.

Profile of Padraig O'Ceidigh, 100% owner of Aer Arann, outlining his management strategy and speculating that he may seek to sell part or all of the company.

jwmd123

Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:29 pm

Quoting Bx737 (Reply 19):
Having crossed swords with Seanjohn before, I now find myself agreeing with him. MOL is playing a tricky game. I think that there are problems with FR. A theory: FR realise that they have committed to far too many aircraft and need to buy EI to have a ready market for 30+ 737s. FR were able to hire out 2 737-800s to EI for 2 days during the height of the Summer season, why? If I were an FR shareholder I would be demanding an answer to that. FR has once again promised a bloodbath for the winter, is the market as bad as MOL is painting. This coupled with the grounding of 737s out of STN due to a dispute with the BAA. Is MOL trying to divert attention from a poor FR performance?

Also they are looking to suspend all services at CRL in November. If this happens, FR would have a lot of spare aircraft.

You have to give it to FR for the markets they have opened with their routes but I just wonder have they over-judged the market.
If we break it down.

FR currently have a fleet of 137 aircraft.
They have 171 on order with a further 114 options.

We know that FR retire their birds early/sell on however, the 171 on order are deliveries up to 2012.

FR from all accounts got a good deal from Boeing but what would happen if FR could not sell on the older planes. Will Boeing take them back? Will they slow down deliveries.

IMHO I do believe their expansion plans are unsustainable.

Sure look at FR now, they are going into the house insurance market.

In terms of his increase shareholding in EI, part of me makes me wonder if MOL is on a mission to get DM and Bertie out of the way. Is this a FR strategy to increase the EI shareholding or is it MOL policy???
If I was a head guy in one of the fund managers who hold a large block of FR shares, I would be asking a good few questions of MOL.

1. Why are you increasing your stock in a company you know you cannot buy?
2. Why are you buying stock in a company you are looking to have an egm where the potential for making more money using a BFS-LHR route could be blocked?

Quoting OA260 (Reply 21):
Aer Arann may open new routes - Aer Arann is considering new routes to Britain from Kerry following higher than expected passenger numbers on the Kerry-Manchester route serving the British midlands.

This is excellent news. Whilst I have never flown RE, I think their business model is excellent (turboprop 70 seater planes, perfect for the routes they fly). They are capitalising on the regions airports to mainly UK destinations that would have decent load factors.
Whenever RE/EI get there codeshare up and running, I can see RE becoming a airline that will network all the regions airports together.
If you look at it, especially US visitors whom would be more accustomed to internal flights, when EI and RE tie up, they will hopefully be able to go on to EI.com or RE's site and book a flight, for example to DUB (EI), then on to ORK (RE). After a few days fly ORK to GWY (RE). Drive to SXL-Sligo (RE) and get a flight back to DUB.
I can honestly see RE connecting more of the regional airports with each other if the codeshare took off.

OA260

Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:23 pm

I see that SQ get their A380 in TLS on the 15th October!!! Daytrip to TLS out at 7am and back Via Paris is €150 !!! Im very tempted!!! Im sure it will be packed though that day.

EIDAA

Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:35 pm

Quoting Smokeyrosco (Reply 5):

I flew with SAS to OSL through CPH a couple of years ago. The trip/service was great with very pleasant crews, MD82/A321/A321/MD87 over the four flights. As it was a last minute trip, (ie. found out I was going and was on the way to the airport within an hour), I ended up in business class. The catering order was short one C class meal, so I ended up getting Y class food, but before landing one of the cabin crew came down to me with a bag with various types of alcohol as an apology for not having the business meal... shame I don't drink!! All in all, SAS were great to fly with.

Quoting Bx737 (Reply 8):
On another topic, my outlaws are on holidays in the Algarve at the moment with Michael Stein Travel. They flew out with Flightline/Aviajet and told me there were 50 people on the flight. Whilst in resort they received a letter from their tour operator saying their return flight details have been changed. On Thursday they will be driven to Seville and will be flying back with EI. Thats some drive, anyone any idea why this is being done?

That sure is some drive... I've done it too. Back in the 90s, I was on a family holiday in the Algarve - we had a Sunworld package. The flights out and back were with Transaer... remember that shower?? After waiting at the gate in Dublin for ages, we were finally boarded only to have another long wait before departure. We were on a good old cramped A300. Finally the flight crew came on the PA and told us that as "only 7 of our 8 brakes were operating", the runway in Faro was not long enough for us and we would instead be flying to Seville, with a bus transfer to Faro. Again after a further delay we finally got away and landed in Seville. On arrival, there were no Sunworld staff to meet us and no offers of assistance. We were waiting for an hour or two before buses finally arrived to take us across the border to Portugal. Of course, the bus company decided to pull in for refreshments a few kms shy of the border, very sensible as none of us had any pesetas and we all got reamed by the locals who would accept escudos at ridiculously inflated prices! By the time we got to the hotel, everyone was convinced this was all a scam. It didn't help when we heard that the same excuse had been given to the passengers that flew down the week before us... same story... brakes... buses... lack of pesetas and unhappy passengers!

Quoting Bx737 (Reply 19):
This coupled with the grounding of 737s out of STN due to a dispute with the BAA.

I don't read much into the grounding of aircraft in STN. FR are fantastic when it comes to PR... as we saw with the advertising for the back to school sale! FR are selling several aircraft this winter at a significant profit and these are no doubt the aircraft reductions that reflect the flights being reduced. MOL's comment about being able to make more money by parking the aircraft instead of flying them just makes me laugh... why not park the entire fleet then??! It is just PR and a way of sticking it to the BAA.

FR will be getting rid of a large number of aircraft between now and 2012 and I don't think they will suffer from over-capacity. FR, out of all airlines, are right up there when it comes to making money, I don't think they have bitten off more than they can chew. Even if they see a slowdown in traffic, they can just sell the production slots.
Most Flown:- G-BUVA (20 Flights), EI-DEB (12 Flights), EI-JFK (11 Flights)

EDICHC

Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:56 pm

Greetings to all regulars on these threads, I've been a regular follower without having real cause to post until now.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 13):
LOL....youd be good in Samaritans LOL..... Jesus I hope your wrong . Well at least for November/December anyway !!! Please no trouble for those months ...Ive got a few EI things booked

I really hope there are no major problems envisaged at EI come December. My folks (retired EI staff) are scheduled to come down here to NZ then, they are scheduled EDI-DUB-LAX with EI and then LAX-AKL-CHC with QF. As they are getting on in years this may well be their one and only trip down here.
A300/319/320/346 ATR72 B722/732/3/4/5/6/8/742/4/752/762/3/772/3 BAC111 BAe146 C172 DHC1/6/8 HS121 MD80 PA28

OA260

Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:29 pm

Quoting EDICHC (Reply 25):
Greetings to all regulars on these threads, I've been a regular follower without having real cause to post until now.

Your always welcome. Must be great living in NZ . One place Ive always wanted to see. The Ad on TV would make you want to go even if you didnt before LOL.... There is a 14 night cruise with Celebrity leaving from Sydney and taking in 6 stops in NZ !!! That would be an amazing trip.

Actually just found it ::: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTg2jmZ5YVU

Amazing place!!!

[Edited 2007-08-22 14:31:52]

smokeyrosco

Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:39 am

Quoting JWMD123 (Reply 22):
FR from all accounts got a good deal from Boeing but what would happen if FR could not sell on the older planes. Will Boeing take them back? Will they slow down deliveries.

has he not already sold them and on a lease back plan or was that a rumor?

Also my parents flew out on EI 105 this morning, My mother texted me as they where taxing in DUB (I know naughty) the aircraft was only a quarter full she reckoned.
John Hancock

aerarann

Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:36 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 21):
Aer Arann may open new routes - Aer Arann is considering new routes to Britain from Kerry

RE management are apparently considering basing a 72' @ KIR to serve destinations incl. MAN, BHX and (BRS or CWL)

Not including the ATR that overnights @ KIR at present.

EISHN

Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:41 am

Quoting AerArann (Reply 28):
RE management are apparently considering basing a 72' @ KIR to serve destinations incl. MAN, BHX and (BRS or CWL)

That's great news.

Quoting Smokeyrosco (Reply 27):
My mother texted me as they where taxing in DUB

Are pax allowed to use devices like PSP's (Play Station Portable) during flight? On my LAX-DUB flight, the kid in front of me spent the whole flight on the damn thing.

Also, does anyone one know what equipment BA tend to use on their LHR-SEA flight?
St. Flannan/ Fhlanain- She took off to find the footlights, And I took off for the sky

EI787

Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:55 am

Quoting EISHN (Reply 29):
Also, does anyone one know what equipment BA tend to use on their LHR-SEA flight?

Flights 48/49 are normally a 747 and flights 52/53 are a 777.

In actual fact my aunt, uncle and cousin are coming home from SEA, arriving in next Tuesday on BA!

EISHN

Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:59 am

Quoting EI787 (Reply 30):
Flights 48/49 are normally a 747 and flights 52/53 are a 777.

Thanks EI787. I didn't know that BA had two flights. I'm off to SEA next month, So I'll make sure I get the 48. About 2/3 of the 744 fleet are nealry kitted out with the new J seats, and AVOD, so I'd like to get the new IFE system. Unless anyone would suggest taking the T7, in terms of comfort.
St. Flannan/ Fhlanain- She took off to find the footlights, And I took off for the sky

OA260

Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:11 am

Quoting EISHN (Reply 31):
Unless anyone would suggest taking the T7, in terms of comfort.

I have to say I love the T7 and 744 so I would take T7 out and 744 back or vise versa.

Quoting AerArann (Reply 28):

Great to see RE doing well. Id still love to see some Ejets for some further routes. The Ejet would look class in RE livery.

smokeyrosco

Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:50 am

Quoting EISHN (Reply 29):
Are pax allowed to use devices like PSP's (Play Station Portable) during flight?

I used a PSP on 6 or 7 flights now, both Europe and the US (also EI DUB-BOS-DUB) I never had a problem so I'd imagine it's ok, although they did ask me to switch it off for landing on one internal flight in the US. (which I was going to anyway)

[Edited 2007-08-22 22:02:19]
John Hancock

kaitak

Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:08 am

Good review here on EI flight; always nice to see.

http://www.carsurvey.org/air/review_14247.html

What's the latest on the VS input into improving EI's service product; is that going to be an ongoing matter?

OA260

Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:18 am

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 34):
What's the latest on the VS input into improving EI's service product; is that going to be an ongoing matter?

I wonder when we will see the EI Club House complete with Golf course and restaurant Big grin

If someone was on DUO or DUZ and EI upgraded their catering I dont think the difference between EI and VS would be that much. Throw in an amenity kit and an ice cream between movies and BINGO VS service.

EISHN

Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:46 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 35):
I wonder when we will see the EI Club House complete with Golf course

Personally I'd prefer an aircraft simulator, and a massage, but that's just me! Big grin

Good review here on EI flight; always nice to see.

He was lkucky to get DUZ and DUO. Unfortunetley he probably doesn't realise that EI don't have any plans (as far as we know) to update the rest of their fleet (the 200s anyway).

I would have gotten someone from SQ/TG/CX/MH/NH instead as they have a better reputation than VS. The Singapore is becoming quite well known, and as we've all seem, she seems to be a big "selling" point for SQ.
SQ may use sex to sell, but at least they are classy about it.

shamrock104

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:33 pm

some free booze would also be nice : )

Provance

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:55 pm

Quoting Shamrock104 (Reply 37):
some free booze would also be nice : )

I'd say hell will freeze over quicker then getting some free hooch from EI
EI, FR, BD, RE, UA, XL, US,

kaitak

Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:39 pm

FF apparently involved in spin, "to protect EI share price"!

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...oring-up---aer-lingus-1064116.html

Some will probably ask what FF's/govt's priorities should be - EI or its electorate. At least they have a point in saying that protecting connectivity is important. SAA apparently talking to three other airlines - Cityjet no doubt among them.

E European airline leaving SNN? Belavia? Centralwings? Hopefully not Centralwings ... quite a big operation there.

OA260

Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:07 pm

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 39):
E European airline leaving SNN? Belavia? Centralwings? Hopefully not Centralwings ... quite a big operation there

Maybe its C0 . I dont think a huge fuss would be made on B2 axing a twice weekly service. With LO axing DUB and putting a minimal C0 service on the DUB to WAW service they might not think twice about axing SNN-WAW/KTW/GDN. I would love to know the load factors on those routes.

EDICHC

Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:46 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 26):
Your always welcome. Must be great living in NZ .

Well since moving here a year ago, I must admit I think I made the right choice, especially living here on the South Island. If you like wide open spaces, this is your kind of place (South Island is about the same size as Great Britain yet only has a population of about 1 million). The lifestyle here is seriously good with the cost of living much less than in the UK. It does have a few drawbacks though, my previously frequent trips over to DUB from EDI to see my family & freinds there are a thing of the past. And CHC while a nice airport, has little in the way of variety from an A.Netter's point of view. Other slight downer is, you take 2hrs flying time from DUB and look at how many international destinations you can reach, from CHC the nearest is SYD 3 1/2 hours away.

Let me know if you are heading down this way, would be great to be able to repay some of the fantastic hospitality shown to me over the years...oh and Kiwi beer is pretty damn good!
A300/319/320/346 ATR72 B722/732/3/4/5/6/8/742/4/752/762/3/772/3 BAC111 BAe146 C172 DHC1/6/8 HS121 MD80 PA28

OA260

Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:56 pm

Quoting EDICHC (Reply 41):
CHC the nearest is SYD 3 1/2 hours away.

I wouldnt mine being 3 and a half hours from SYD...lol I know what you mean though. About 10 years ago I did look into spending a few years in NZ and maybe moving in the long term. I got as far as getting the papers from the Embassy and then talked to family etc... It would have meant one trip home per year at most and leaving all my friends behind. For me it was a sacrifice too much. I would miss being able to fly off to Greece and other European countries for the weekends. The good thing for me is that from Ireland I can do all the things I want to do. If I won the Lotto it would be off to Greece for me!! The nearest thing I will get to New Zealand this year will be NZ 2 LAX-LHR in November LOL...

shamrock350

Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:10 pm

Just arrived back in London, flights were great with EI, got an exit row this morning and the cabin crew were very nice as usual. A full report with many pics will follow soon.

OA260

Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:25 pm

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 43):
A full report with many pics will follow soon.

Hey there Shamrock , welcome back. Looking forward to your TR . You always get good pics. Did you pre pay for exit row seats or did you just check yourself in at the Fast Pass machines or online???

On another note . United are still looking at a possible DUB-IAD route for next year. Fingers crossed  crossfingers 

Probably mentioned before but I see EI are increasing SFO and IAD and BOS for next year. They will increase more services in 2009 when they get the other 2 AC. Also BFS T/A unlikely now.

EIBoston

Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:37 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 44):
Probably mentioned before but I see EI are increasing SFO and IAD and BOS for next year

Yes for SFO and IAD but BOS is still the same as this year. 2 flights - 132/133 and 136/137.

shamrock350

Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:48 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 44):
You always get good pics. Did you pre pay for exit row seats or did you just check yourself in at the Fast Pass machines or online???

When I checked in at Fast Pass, I had been assigned the exit seats and decided to keep them. I was given seat 13A, the leg room was good but looking out the window to get pictures and videos hurt my neck after a while. I'm uploading videos and pictures onto Photobucket and YouTube now so it shouldn't be long until I start the report.

OA260

Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:44 pm

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 46):
I'm uploading videos and pictures onto Photobucket and YouTube now so it shouldn't be long until I start the report.

Thats great . Ive tried to upload my videos before but for some reason it doesnt work.

Anyone wanting to sign the Shannon petition please see below ::

http://www.petitiononline.com/EISNNLHR/

Also two websites that are supposed to be good when looking for cheap airfares!!!

http://www.whichbudget.com/

http://www.flycheapo.com/

EISHN

Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:54 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 47):
Anyone wanting to sign the Shannon petition please see below ::

Yawn.... Been there done that already. It's a load of bull. Apparentley Osama Bin LAden is also interested in keeping the route open as well  Yeah sure

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 46):
I'm uploading videos and pictures onto Photobucket and YouTube now so it shouldn't be long until I start the report.

Looking forward to sreading it! Did you photograph the 1970's decor? I don't care what people say about the state of Shannon. I still love the new/old look that it has. It gives the place a bit of a charm!

OA260

Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:05 pm

Quoting EISHN (Reply 48):
Apparentley Osama Bin LAden is also interested in keeping the route open as well

Which tool signed his name as Osama lol...

Hmm have to agree SNN is like stepping back in time and has a charm about it.

[Edited 2007-08-23 15:14:41]