Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mke717spotter
Topic Author

Question On AQ(Aloha)

Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:13 am

Hello, can anybody tell me which airlines AQ codeshares with? I say this because we might be going to Hawaii for spring break to either KOA, LIH, OGG, or ITO and I'd like to fly on AQ through HNL. The problem is, whenever I try to book with NW, CO, AA, etc, the flights through HNL always come up on HA. I was looking on funjetvacations.com, applevacations.com, and nwa.com. Thanks!!!

socalfive

RE: Question On AQ(Aloha)

Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:55 am

I think only UA does, every time I've flown into HNL, UA has put me on Aloha for inter-island.

FoxBravo

Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:56 am

Quoting Mke717spotter (Thread starter):
Hello, can anybody tell me which airlines AQ codeshares with?

UA. But you don't need a codeshare in order to connect onto an AQ interisland flight--you can book an interline ticket (through Expedia or Travelocity, for example), or just book your interisland flights separately.

P.S.--Hilo is an interesting place to visit, but you probably don't want to spend your spring break there unless you really like rain!

[Edited 2007-08-21 19:59:35]

ChicagoFlyer

Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:58 am

The biggest carrier to Hawai'i is United.... and coincidentally they have had a longtime relationships with Aloha. This year it even went beyond codesharing as UA purchased an equity stake. Further, many airports in Hawai'i are served by UA directly from the mainland. So looks like you need to try united.com.

PanAm747

Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:07 am

Agreed about the United Airlines information.

One of the last chances to fly on the battle-axe tough-as-nails 737-200's:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Je89 W.
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jeremy Irish - V1 Aviation Photography

Quote:
Hilo is an interesting place to visit, but you probably don't want to spend your spring break there unless you really like rain!

It definitely will rain on you - LOTS OF IT - but don't let that keep you from the east side of the big island!! Volcanoes National Park is like walking on the surface of another planet, and you simply MUST see Kilauea erupting...

Not to mention the arboretums and the Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut processing plant (and the free samples of the chocolate covered macadamia nuts in the gift shop!!) - SO much to see and do!!

FoxBravo

Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:14 am

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 4):
It definitely will rain on you - LOTS OF IT - but don't let that keep you from the east side of the big island!!

Agreed--no doubt it's well worth visiting. The Big Island is my favorite island, but I would still suggest staying near Kona and day-tripping to the other side, especially for a first-time visitor.

ikramerica

Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:29 am

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 4):
It definitely will rain on you - LOTS OF IT - but don't let that keep you from the east side of the big island!! Volcanoes National Park is like walking on the surface of another planet, and you simply MUST see Kilauea erupting...

I drove from Kona on a day trip, and sure enough, it rained on the way there, a bit when I arrived in Hilo, and a bit on the way back. Kona weather was fine the whole time...

mke717spotter
Topic Author

Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:37 am

Thanks for the replies! I've actually been to Hawaii twice before and stayed on 3 different islands (excluding the connection at HNL). I've been on the Big Island (Can't remember if it was KOA or ITO) and I've also stayed at OGG and LIH. Does it rain as much at Kona as it does at Hilo? Anyways, I'll try expedia/travelocity as stated above.

ikramerica

Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:55 am

Quoting Mke717spotter (Reply 7):
Does it rain as much at Kona as it does at Hilo?

Kona is more of a desert region, with lava fields and short grasses, and it was more a ranching region due to this. You drive up into the hills and reach the rainforests, and Hilo is wetter (more farms). The drive from Kona to Hilo sends you through part of the forrest and temps drop quite a bit on the drive, so much so that you can use a jacket.

At least this is how I remember it explained and it seemed to be what I experienced.

FoxBravo

Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:20 am

Quoting Mke717spotter (Reply 7):
Does it rain as much at Kona as it does at Hilo?

No, it hardly rains at all on the Kona side.

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 8):

Kona is more of a desert region, with lava fields and short grasses, and it was more a ranching region due to this. You drive up into the hills and reach the rainforests, and Hilo is wetter (more farms). The drive from Kona to Hilo sends you through part of the forrest and temps drop quite a bit on the drive, so much so that you can use a jacket.

At least this is how I remember it explained and it seemed to be what I experienced.

checkmark 

Definitely bring a jacket if you visit Volcanoes National Park--the higher elevation keeps it much cooler.

ikramerica

Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:59 am

Quoting FoxBravo (Reply 9):
Definitely bring a jacket if you visit Volcanoes National Park--the higher elevation keeps it much cooler.

My rental car had an outside temp monitor and it dropped from about 90F degrees in Kona to 60F or so in the forest on the road to Hilo, and then was about 70F or so in Hilo. I'm sure up higher on the volcano it's even cooler, though if it's not covered in clouds it would still be comfortable during the day due to the intense sun.

FoxBravo

Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:01 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 10):
I'm sure up higher on the volcano it's even cooler

That's for sure...during the winter, there is snow on the tops of Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa!

aloha73g

Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:53 am

UA does codeshare with Aloha. Aloha also interlines with pretty much everyone else (AA, CO, DL, NW, HA, US, etc.)

Where are you flying from....I would reccomend flying the mainland to Hawai'i leg on either AQ or HA. They are miles ahead of the rest in onboard service and you feel like you're in Hawai'i when you walk onboard.

Aloha and Hawaiian both run great interisland operations.....and those 732s are a GREAT ride  Smile

Have a good trip....anymore questions, ask away!!

-Aloha!

mke717spotter
Topic Author

Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:34 pm

Ok so I went on expedia.com and found MKE-LAX-HNL-KOA on YX/NW/AQ. Also found MKE-HOU-HNL-KOA on CO/AQ, however I didn't have any much luck on travelocity.com. I was hoping to find something like MKE-MSP-HNL-KOA on NW/AQ to try and get on NW's A330, but I suppose those choices are alright.

That's good that it doesn't rain to much at Kona. I think now I remember last time I was at the Big Island it was probably Kona, since I don't remember it really raining. I also remember that we drove the Hilo to go on one of those helicopter tours over the volcano, but that day there wasn't much volcanic activity so we didn't see much.

FoxBravo

Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:37 pm

Quoting Mke717spotter (Reply 13):
I was hoping to find something like MKE-MSP-HNL-KOA on NW/AQ to try and get on NW's A330, but I suppose those choices are alright.

You might want to look into booking MKE-MSP-HNL on nwa.com, and then HNL-KOA on Aloha's website, and see how the separate tickets price out. I have often found that it's cheaper to book the interisland segments separately for some reason (mainly because the interisland airlines are fiercely competitive and are often running ridiculously low fare specials).

Note that CO's 767-400s (which they use on IAH-HNL) are also quite nice.

ikramerica

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:04 am

Quoting Mke717spotter (Reply 13):
I also remember that we drove the Hilo to go on one of those helicopter tours over the volcano, but that day there wasn't much volcanic activity so we didn't see much.

You can take the tours from KOA, and they even have helicopter tours that fly over Maui and the north side of the big island (to see the massive waterfalls), then toward the south to see the volcanoes.

But if you want to see the Moana Loa macadamia nut farm and sample free brittle, Hilo is the place to see...  Wink

mke717spotter
Topic Author

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:44 am

Quoting FoxBravo (Reply 14):

If we did that, wouldn't we need to go reclaim our bags at HNL and then go check in again at the AQ ticket counter or no?

PA101

Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:44 am

Quoting Mke717spotter (Reply 16):

No - they can tag your bags through at MKE if you tell them you have an onward connection and show them the confirmation. Check-In itself can be then done either online or directly at the gate in HNL without leaving the sterile area.

By the way: I prefer HA over AQ, but I can fully understand that one wants to fly on AQ and their vintage 732s as well...  Smile

FoxBravo

Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:25 am

Quoting PA101 (Reply 17):
No - they can tag your bags through at MKE if you tell them you have an onward connection and show them the confirmation. Check-In itself can be then done either online or directly at the gate in HNL without leaving the sterile area.

That's right. I just did this a few months ago between HA and CO, and I've done it in the past between AQ and DL, UA, etc. It's no problem at all (well, except the occasional missed connection, but that can happen anywhere, even on the same ticket).

Quoting PA101 (Reply 17):
By the way: I prefer HA over AQ, but I can fully understand that one wants to fly on AQ and their vintage 732s as well...

Same here. HA's 717s are fantastic and are now my first choice, but if I hadn't flown on so many AQ 732s over the years I'd probably feel differently!

Actually, here's a suggestion--you could try AQ one way and HA the other, to get a couple of different experiences on one trip. Usually the interisland fares are based on one-way so there's no savings if you buy a round trip on the same airline.

ikramerica

Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:42 am

Quoting FoxBravo (Reply 11):
That's for sure...during the winter, there is snow on the tops of Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa!

But I imagine, during the sunny day, it's not really cold feeling. I experienced this in Switzerland. During the sunny afternoon, you could walk around without a jacket on and lie in the sun and feel warm, even though we were at 3000m, sitting on a glacier...

Quoting FoxBravo (Reply 18):
Actually, here's a suggestion--you could try AQ one way and HA the other, to get a couple of different experiences on one trip.

Sounds like a plan. And HA has a KOA-OGG-HNL service midday that I took once, same plane, you don't get off in OGG. Pretty cool to jump around the islands like that.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos