D328
Topic Author

Piper Leaving Vero Beach?

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:32 pm

I've been living here in Vero time building and started to notice "We love Piper" signs all over, so I asked someone local and they said they might be leaving and going to Tallahassee. Is this a rumor or true? Did some searching and found these:

http://www.avweb.com/cgi-bin/texis/s...tml?query=Piper+Leaving+Vero+Beach - Have to become a free member....but was best I could find.

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2007/aug/...-cant-afford-to-become-youngstown/

LaminarFlow

RE: Piper Leaving Vero Beach?

Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:01 pm

I believe that, rather than relocate their base, Piper has been considering locations for its VLJ programme. If I recall correctly, Tallahassee was recently eliminated from contention, leave Albuquerque and Oklahoma City as possible alternatives to a Vero Beach plant.

corey07850

Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:09 pm

Quoting LaminarFlow (Reply 1):
Albuquerque

That would be interesting... The PiperJet and Eclipse being made at the same airport

LaminarFlow

Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:20 pm

To add to the excitement, is Piper not up for sale currently?

SkyexRamper

Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:38 pm

Piper is considering moving because Vero Beach is in the heart of Hurricane country. When all those hurricanes went through Florida two years ago, Piper was nearly destroyed and lost a lot of tooling, some of which were from older non-production airplanes with no replacements, and completed airplanes.
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

L-188

Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:41 pm

They ought to move back to Lock Haven where they belong.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

LaminarFlow

Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:42 pm

Quoting SkyexRamper (Reply 4):

Would you happen to have a source for this? I am having difficulty in finding any credible sources regarding the aforementioned points of discussion.

D328
Topic Author

Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:45 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 5):
They ought to move back to Lock Haven where they belong.

Yes please, back to my home town! My grandfather worked for them in Lock Haven. Sad to see the old factory there doing nothing.

SkyexRamper

Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:05 pm

Quoting LaminarFlow (Reply 6):
Would you happen to have a source for this? I am having difficulty in finding any credible sources regarding the aforementioned points of discussion.

It was mentioned in several industry publications over the last year. I don't remember specific months but it was in Business and Commercial Aviation and others. Why is it so hard to believe a company would want to move to a safer location so it's entire business isn't lost.

LaminarFlow

Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:09 pm

Quoting SkyexRamper (Reply 8):
Why is it so hard to believe a company would want to move to a safer location so it's entire business isn't lost.

Oh but I do believe it. I just am curious about the whole situation with Piper, and would like to do some informed reading. Keep me in mind if you happen across any relative articles.

KELPkid

Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:15 pm

Imagine if they announced that they were re-opening the Lock Haven, PA plant at the same time  cloudnine 
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

Alias1024

Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:26 pm

Quoting LaminarFlow (Reply 1):
If I recall correctly, Tallahassee was recently eliminated from contention, leave Albuquerque and Oklahoma City as possible alternatives to a Vero Beach plant.

I seem to remember the four cities mentioned as Tallahassee, Albuquerque, Olkahoma City, and Charleston. A big reason for looking to move was the risk of hurricanes in Vero Beach. Charleston, and to a lesser extent Tallahassee, would still be under the threat of hurricanes. Oklahoma City is in the middle of Tornado Alley. If Piper is trying to avoid natural disasters then Albuquerque makes the most sense. Something tells me that the financial incentives are more important though, and Piper will go with the highest bidder.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

SkyexRamper

Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:26 am

Quoting LaminarFlow (Reply 9):
Oh but I do believe it. I just am curious about the whole situation with Piper, and would like to do some informed reading. Keep me in mind if you happen across any relative articles

Will do, what has been published in the past was just short paragraphs, but I'll try to remember you if I run acorss more.

D328
Topic Author

Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:22 pm

Well at least in Lock Haven there is now a Dike/levy to keep the water away from the airport, I have only heard of one tornado/report of one in LH since I have live there all my life.....We get a little snow....some rain...no major storms...

Bring PIPER BACK TO LHV where it belongs!

KELPkid

Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:07 pm

Quoting D328 (Reply 13):
Well at least in Lock Haven there is now a Dike/levy to keep the water away from the airport, I have only heard of one tornado/report of one in LH since I have live there all my life.....We get a little snow....some rain...no major storms...

Bring PIPER BACK TO LHV where it belongs!

Ironically, Piper finally closed Lock Haven when the remains of a hurricaine flooded the place so badly that the Comanche and Aztec tooling (and several aircraft) were destroyed...  Wink [precisely the reason that they're leaving Vero Beach]
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos