Brick
Topic Author

Denver Media - Frontier's DH8 Is Unsafe

Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:10 am

I was watching my local news last night and throughout the broadcast they kept doing teasers about "Find out about an aircraft that may be unsafe to fly through the mountains that's coming to DIA". They ran this teaser at every commercial break and finally 45 minutes into the 60 minute broadcast they showed the story:

http://www.myfoxcolorado.com/myfox/p...es/ContentDetail?contentId=4147991

It was one of the most irresponsible stories I've seen from the local Denver media in a long time. The whole purpose of the story was to either smear Frontier, scare people with a non-existent problem, or both.

Even my wife who has never shown any interest in aviation came into the room after overhearing the story and said "What a complete load a crap!". Usually when I comment on a poorly covered aviation subject in the news I get the I don't care look from her. So the fact that even my wife had a reaction to this story demonstrates how bad it was!
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man...

joeljack

RE: Denver Media - Frontier's DH8 Is Unsafe

Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:19 am

First Yeah...what a load of crap.

Second...They make reference to United also flying these planes and that is just untrue, they do not. The only other operators of these in the US that I know of is Horizon.

KELPkid

Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:20 am

IIRC, the FAR's allow an exemption for the Oxygen mask rule if the aircraft, during certification, can demonstrate a rapid enough descent.

The only problem I see would be a worst-case scenario: what if you are flying over the rockies, and lost pressure? You'd have to do an emergency descent to 10,000', however, the terrain (and the MEA's an the minimum vectoring altitude  Wink ) in Colorado might not allow for that...

Also, in the Dash 8, I do believe the pilots have O2 masks...if you got down to 14,000 feet, everyone would be safer than they would at cruise altitude, and you descend once terrain allowed for it.

I do agree, the media did a hatchet job here...
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

PSU.DTW.SCE

Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:30 am

Wow what a bunch of crap. Why do they dig up something and try to blame it on one airline, when in reality its something that applies to many airlines across the country. This is not an F9 issue or a Q400 issue.

The areas in Colorado and the continental United States where the terrain would not allow for such a descent are not large enough to the point where this would be an issue. Yes, there are a good number of peaks above 14,000 ft and areas of a hundred miles to where they would need to be above 10,000 feet. Heck, many people ski in Colorado up near 12,000 ft.

Starlionblue

Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:36 am

Well at least it was good for a nice laugh.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

PC12Fan

Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:56 am

FOX news. Clear, credible, complete.  rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

Media. Gotta love 'em. We all know how accurate they can be when it comes to aviation.

Let's see, let's start listing important points that they did NOT discuss. I'll go first.

In the event of cabin decompression, IIRC, ALL airliners descend to a "breathable" level, not just the Q400.
Just when I think you've said the stupidest thing ever, you keep talkin'!

flyingcat

Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:00 am

Faux News at it again

They should be considered entertainment and not news.

How anybody invites them to press events is beyond me? Perhaps if it was "world's wildest plane crashes" it would be more credible.

ILOVEA340

Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:08 am

Quoting PC12Fan (Reply 5):
In the event of cabin decompression, IIRC, ALL airliners descend to a "breathable" level, not just the Q400.

Add to that that 25k feet is not a fataly low O2 level. You will certainly become tired and maybe even pass out, but by the time that happens you'll be descending through 15k ft on your way to a precautionary landing..,.

kingcavalier

Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:23 am

http://www.myfoxcolorado.com/myfox/p...es/InsideFox/ContactUs?pageId=5.11

I've already contacted the station. Shame on Fox News!
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness

PC12Fan

Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:28 am

Quoting KingCavalier (Reply 8):
I've already contacted the station.

They are about to get inundated with e-mails from A.net members!

SkyyMaster

Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:48 am

Quoting Flyingcat (Reply 6):
Faux News at it again

They should be considered entertainment and not news.

Amen, although "entertainment" might be a stretch lest it be compared with professional wrestling as entertainment. And to think I wanted to be a journalist once upon a time. I've flown QX's Q400's a couple of times, they are an incredible aircraft.

AirTranTUS

Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:58 am

Quoting Joeljack (Reply 1):
Second...They make reference to United also flying these planes and that is just untrue, they do not.

Actually, Skywest does fly the Dash 8 for United. Not the 400 version, but still a Dash 8. They are the same type of plane, just different versions. (The 73G is the same type as a 738, different versions.) To the flying public, a Dash 8-200 is a Dash 8-400 is an ATR 72.

Anyone else think another airline paid the station to do the smear about F9? Maybe another major DEN carrier?

[Edited 2007-08-23 21:05:19]
I love ASO!

stlgph

Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:06 am

Here's the rundown of this story --

Sets up with Frontier and the new plane.

"Real person" speaks in concern.

Frontier given chance to comment and does.

FAA regulation given attribution.

"Real person" speaks out in favor.

Discusses fact oxygen masks aren't needed.

Talks about emergency descent procedure.

Frontier comments again discussing emergency descents.

United declines comment.

And close.

Sorry, folks, but this isn't a smear campaign or anything blown out of proportion.

Personally, I think Frontier needed to make another person or two available with some stronger comments and United should have commented.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

SkyexRamper

Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:07 am

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 2):
Also, in the Dash 8, I do believe the pilots have O2 masks...if you got down to 14,000 feet, everyone would be safer than they would at cruise altitude, and you descend once terrain allowed for it.

Yes, turbine powered/pressurized aircraft have pilot O2 systems and are required to be able to supply pax with O2 above 15,000ft msl. Part 121 would need to have pilot O2 on above 10,000 anyways.

Quoting AirTranTUS (Reply 11):
Actually, Skywest does fly the Dash 8 for United. Not the 400 version, but still a Dash 8.

Mesa flies the Dash 8-100 for UAL. Skywest flies the EMB-120.
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

DAL767400ER

Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:16 am

Quoting SkyyMaster (Reply 10):
Amen, although "entertainment" might be a stretch lest it be compared with professional wrestling as entertainment.

Hey, leave wrestling out, it's much more real and realistic than most of the stuff Fox shows  Wink .

kingcavalier

Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:19 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 12):
anything blown out of proportion

I disagree. When the title of their story is "New Frontier Planes Lack Oxygen Masks" they are either pointing out the obvious or trying to imply the planes are unsafe.

rocANDtpa

Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:21 am

Quoting AirTranTUS (Reply 11):
Actually, Skywest does fly the Dash 8 for United. Not the 400 version, but still a Dash 8. They are the same type of plane, just different versions. (The 73G is the same type as a 738, different versions.) To the flying public, a Dash 8-200 is a Dash 8-400 is an ATR 72.

Skywest does not have any Dash planes. They fly the EMB-120 which is made by Embraer. The Dash is made by Bombardier.

UN_B732

Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:22 am

United's Dash 8s also lack oxygen masks, something conveniently ommitted in this ju.. i mean report.
Does anyone know if QX has masks on it's Q400s?
-A
What now?

AirframeAS

Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:29 am

Quoting KingCavalier (Reply 8):

I already did my part. Some of these people should go to PDX or SEA and fly on a QX Q400!
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

stlgph

Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:32 am

Quoting KingCavalier (Reply 15):
I disagree. When the title of their story is "New Frontier Planes Lack Oxygen Masks" they are either pointing out the obvious or trying to imply the planes are unsafe.

Well, they are lacking oxygen masks. And if I'm a passenger, isn't it nice to know what the hell is up?

Yeah, thought so.

Quoting UN_B732 (Reply 17):
United's Dash 8s also lack oxygen masks, something conveniently ommitted in this ju.. i mean report
-A

Except it's mentioned in the reporter's stand up close.

JoeCanuck

Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:36 am

It seems to me that the lack of passenger O2 masks is one of the things that limits the D8 altitude to 25,000'.
What the...?

National757

Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:36 am

Quoting KingCavalier (Reply 15):
trying to imply the planes are unsafe.

checkmark 

Possible safety concerns? Please! Treacherous conditions? Gimmie a break..sounds like Fox Colorado is trying to scare people and make a big deal over nothing.

This story is typical of the media who are generally clueless about aviation. Hey as long as it's on the teleprompter, it must be true, right Gavin?

stlgph

Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:39 am

Quoting National757 (Reply 22):

See reply 12.

I think I lay it out quite clearly.

kingcavalier

Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:40 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 23):

About as clearly as Faux News? You seem to be missing some important facts just like Fox.

kingcavalier

Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:41 am

And what was the point of this story........................?

stlgph

Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:45 am

Quoting KingCavalier (Reply 24):
You seem to be missing some important facts just like Fox

What important facts?

The only real factual attribution given here to anything is by the F-A-A and by the pilot for Frontier who talks about contingency plans.

As I mentioned in my tag ...

Personally, I think Frontier needed to make another person or two available with some stronger comments and United should have commented.

The fact exists that there are not any oxygen masks on the plane for the passengers. If it's not that big of a concern, the FAA and the airline should have stepped up to the plate and commented on this more thoroughly than what they did.
Lay your blame with them.

kingcavalier

Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:50 am

Again, what was the point of the story? To state the obvious? Fox failed to say that any aircraft would have to rapidly descend in mountainous areas if the cabin loses pressure, not just these scary turboprops. Quoted from the story, "Frontier Airlines lacks a safety feature found in most commercial airliners: oxygen masks." What was the point of this story except to imply the planes are not as safe as...........

National757

Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:52 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 23):

You left out how the chief pilot would put his family aboard these jets...which makes this story worthless,

The fact that the FAA does not require oxygen masks should tell you how pointless this story is. As mentioned above they already got their facts wrong when it comes to United flying the same type of aircraft.

Is it sweeps week yet Gavin? They must be desperate up there at Fox Denver if they have to run stories like Q400's lack of oxygen masks to get ratings. Listen to the story and how they open it, "Possible safety concerns for the next time you fly?" Can you honestly say they aren't trying to scare the general public?

Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:55 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 12):
Personally, I think Frontier needed to make another person or two available with some stronger comments

They almost certainly did. If you've ever been interviewed as part of a media story, you'll know that they'll take an hour of Q&A and use the one line they feel like using to make the point they wanted to make in the first place, and interview several people to only quote one of them.

We report, you decide. Too bad most of the public don't have the background to decide correctly. The good news is, they're also usually clueless of what aircraft they're booking, so in the end it won't matter anyway.
7 hours aint long-haul

stlgph

Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:57 am

Quoting KingCavalier (Reply 27):
Fox failed to say that any aircraft would have to rapidly descend in mountainous areas if the cabin loses pressure, not just these scary turboprops.

Addressed in the chief pilot's second SOT.

Quoting KingCavalier (Reply 27):
Quoted from the story, "Frontier Airlines lacks a safety feature found in most commercial airliners: oxygen masks." What was the point of this story except to imply the planes are not as safe as...........

Where does it say they aren't safe? They don't have oxygen masks. Compare it to them doing a story on a local car dealer selling cars without an airbag.

kingcavalier

Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:58 am

Again, what was the point of the story then?

AirframeAS

Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:59 am

Quoting National757 (Reply 28):
The fact that the FAA does not require oxygen masks should tell you how pointless this story is.

Isn't that outlined in FAR Part 25 & 29, IIRC. The plane is obviously certified with an Airworthiness Certificate from the F.A.A. so I don't see the big deal.

DAYflyer

Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:01 am

We all know journalist know about as much about aviation as I do about being a rocket scientist.
One Nation Under God

stlgph

Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:02 am

Quoting 3201 (Reply 29):
They almost certainly did

Except they didn't.

Quoting 3201 (Reply 29):
If you've ever been interviewed as part of a media story, you'll know that they'll take an hour of Q&A and use the one line they feel like using to make the point they wanted to make in the first place, and interview several people to only quote one of them.

That's incorrect. Interviews for a 50 second package don't take an hour. Five minutes, max.

Quoting 3201 (Reply 29):
Too bad most of the public don't have the background to decide correctly. The good news is, they're also usually clueless of what aircraft they're booking, so in the end it won't matter anyway.

But the chief pilot said he'd put his family on it. So it's ok.

And the FAA doesn't require the masks. So it's ok.

You left out how the chief pilot would put his family aboard these jets...which makes this story worthless,

Why? He's a real person, too. Real people make a good news story. His comment plus the two passengers interviewed = three real people angles. That's more than many stories ever see.

The fact that the FAA does not require oxygen masks should tell you how pointless this story is. As mentioned above they already got their facts wrong when it comes to United flying the same type of aircraft

How is it pointless?

Joe Q. Passenger's been flying all his life and is used to the little speech about oxygen masks. Suddenly, he gets on a plane that doesn't have any.

What's up with that shit, he wonders?

Well, check out this story on Fox, Joe Q. Public.

hey must be desperate up there at Fox Denver if they have to run stories like Q400's lack of oxygen masks to get ratings

No. There's no smear campaign here. And see above about Joe Q. Public.

Listen to the story and how they open it, "Possible safety concerns for the next time you fly?

Well if oxygen masks aren't important for safety, then perhaps the FAA should take out the whole safety demonstration for the rest of the planes?

And see above about Joe Q. Public.

onaclearday

Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:15 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 26):
If it's not that big of a concern, the FAA and the airline should have stepped up to the plate and commented on this more thoroughly than what they did. Lay your blame with them.

You make a weak point because it's certainly possible that additional comments by Frontier representatives or even the FAA were omitted from this story.

It's truly not a concern that Frontier's DH8s don't have oxygen masks. Other airlines fly this aircraft type without passenger oxygen masks, and the government has deemed them safe for the travelling public. So, if not for the uninformed producers and hyperventilating reporter, this story wouldn't exist. Therefore, they are to blame.

stlgph

Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:19 am

Quoting OnAClearDay (Reply 35):
You make a weak point because it's certainly possible that additional comments by Frontier representatives or even the FAA were omitted from this story

Eh, notsomuch ... You can't be the bearer of bad or good news without someone else saying it.

Quoting OnAClearDay (Reply 35):
So, if not for the uninformed producers and hyperventilating reporter, this story wouldn't exist.

And the government in the past also approved billions of Mattel toys, asbestos, lead based paint, listening to Mariah Carey, etc. etc.

onaclearday

Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:21 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 36):
Eh, notsomuch ... You can't be the bearer of bad or good news without someone else saying it.

Who said what?

OPNLguy

Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:27 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 20):
Except it's mentioned in the reporter's stand up close.

Yes, but it's nothing more than an * when compared to the headline/lead-in...

Folks, this is yet another fine example of "facts" being reported, and "context" ignored, but hey, that's showbiz!
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

PC12Fan

Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:34 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 34):
That's incorrect. Interviews for a 50 second package don't take an hour. Five minutes, max.

That's what's incorrect. Some do, a lot don't.

Quoting DAYflyer (Reply 33):
We all know journalist know about as much about aviation as I do about being a rocket scientist.

And there ladies and gentlemen is what stories like this prey on. A reporter puts out a story that claims an aircraft is unsafe because it lacks one "safety item". What you get from the general public that doesn't know any better is a "the sky is falling" reaction and that is what gets ratings kids.

kingcavalier

Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:37 am

Quoting PC12Fan (Reply 39):
What you get from the general public that doesn't know any better is a "the sky is falling" reaction and that is what gets ratings kids.

Agree! And, that WAS the point of running the story.

OPNLguy

Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:39 am

This just in:

Jet aircraft unsafe because they lack propellers.... Film at 11...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

KELPkid

Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:49 am

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 41):
This just in:

Yeah, any comment from WN on that one  Wink  duck 
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

AirTranTUS

Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:08 am

Quoting SkyexRamper (Reply 13):
Mesa flies the Dash 8-100 for UAL. Skywest flies the EMB-120.

Quoting RocANDtpa (Reply 16):
Skywest does not have any Dash planes. They fly the EMB-120 which is made by Embraer. The Dash is made by Bombardier.

Oops. Doesn't change the fact that UA does have someone flying Dash 8's for them.
I love ASO!

rocANDtpa

Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:13 am

Quoting AirTranTUS (Reply 42):
Mesa flies the Dash 8-100 for UAL.

I didn't know United had a regional affiliate flying the Dash-8 for them. Is this relatively new? What routes do they fly?

kingcavalier

Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:23 am

Quoting RocANDtpa (Reply 43):
I didn't know United had a regional affiliate flying the Dash-8 for them. Is this relatively new? What routes do they fly?

Mesa flies the DH2 DEN-EGE, DEN-GJT, DEN-HDN (to name a few). Those poor passengers.

AirTranTUS

Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:24 am

Quoting RocANDtpa (Reply 43):

I don't know when it started, but they fly many intra-Colorado routes. I'm sure there are others though.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ben Wang

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Eric D Smith - Northern Exposures

I love ASO!

BlueSkys

Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:30 am

Fox News, "Clear, Credible, Complete" LoL  laughing   liar   no   rotfl   rotfl 

I cant believe they are knocking one of the safest turbo props ever built.... Must have been a really SLOWWWWW news day.

I can see it now "Who's business shall we attempt to destroy today?"

peh

Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:22 am

How about rookie "journalist" straight out of college who figures he's got a big scoop. The whole story was just dripping with amateurism.

Little punk doing his bit to the camera from the cockpit - "Look daddy, I'm a pilot".

Nothing about this story was clear, credible or complete! They could have balanced up the whole story with a single sound-bite from an aviation expert but did they? No. Instead they did vox pops with Frontier passengers "Zubeida" and "Jeff" who probably wouldn't know the difference between a 737 and A320 if it ran over them.

Disgusting  vomit 
Flown: ATR72, DASH 8, 737, 747, 767, 777, A300, A320, A321, A330, A340, MD80

AirframeAS

Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:27 am

Like I said before, if this Q400 has it's Airworthiness Certificate issued by the F.A.A., then it's not a big of a deal. Full Stop!

stlgph

Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:45 am

Quoting OnAClearDay (Reply 36):
Who said what?

The report attributes the FAA.

The SOT from the Frontier pilot is sound verbatim from him.

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 37):
Yes, but it's nothing more than an * when compared to the headline/lead-in...

It was mentioned it was covered, doesn't matter if it's in the package or a tag out or a break out from the package itself. It's covered, it's there, etc.

Quoting PC12Fan (Reply 38):
That's what's incorrect. Some do, a lot don't.

No, you are wrong. News beat package interviews take 5 minutes.

Quoting KingCavalier (Reply 39):

Agree! And, that WAS the point of running the story.

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 40):
This just in:

From reply #33

Joe Q. Passenger's been flying all his life and is used to the little speech about oxygen masks. Suddenly, he gets on a plane that doesn't have any.

What's up with that shit, he wonders?

Well, check out this story on Fox, Joe Q. Public.

Fox News' moniker from network to affiliates is We Report, You Decide. So, the premise here is ... "we just told you this story, so what do you decide about flying on planes without oxygen masks, Joe Q. Public?"

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 48):
Like I said before, if this Q400 has it's Airworthiness Certificate issued by the F.A.A., then it's not a big of a deal. Full Stop!

And you are one Joe Q. Public that has decided this.

Boom, there ya go.

Job done.

Of course what's ultimately funny about all of this is that for many of you, Fox News is generally a saviour in their reporting.