Tui
Topic Author

Reasons Behind Zoom UK's Issues?

Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:16 am

My Cousin works at Gatwick and has been telling me about the problems they are having with Zoom on their new New York and Bermuda flights.Major delays,over bookings,cancelled flights etc i have started looking at the flight arrivals board on the Teletext and she is so right they are always either delayed or cancelled ! Anyone got any news as to why this is ?

flytuitravel

Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:01 am

Obviously just operational problems, a problem with the plane maybe if it is always delayed and they only have one plane...

YZFOO7F

Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:45 am

They only have one aircraft so far that operates that route (B763ER: G-UKZM). Its simply a matter of not having the backup equipment needed when things go mechanical. You'll often see lengthy (and i mean 24-30 hour) delays with Zoom in Canada due to the lack of a/c available here too.
Promise me you'll always leave the ground

planesarecool

Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:10 am

I was told it was due to the aircraft not getting ETOPS certification, therefore meaning the flight has to take a more northerly route, thus adding to the flight time, and quite considerably so on the LGW-BDA flights.

drgmobile

Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:19 am

30-40 hour delays on flights in Canada, eh? Damn, I will have to remind myself of that next time I am considering a spontaneous holiday and get tempted by an ultra low fare.

YZFOO7F

Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:07 pm

Quoting Drgmobile (Reply 4):
30-40 hour delays on flights in Canada, eh? Damn, I will have to remind myself of that next time I am considering a spontaneous holiday and get tempted by an ultra low fare.

Thankfully its getting better as the years go on. I worked a departure out of YOW that took a 27 hour delay two years ago. Management didn't want to allow people to leave the airport because the thought was that we'd be able to up and go at any given time. It actually got some of the pax on A-Channel news saying they felt like they were "in prison at the airport".

The fares can be unbeatable, but you have to be willing to take a hit on your vacation time.
Promise me you'll always leave the ground

txkf2010

Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:12 am

Quoting Planesarecool (Reply 3):
I was told it was due to the aircraft not getting ETOPS certification, therefore meaning the flight has to take a more northerly route, thus adding to the flight time, and quite considerably so on the LGW-BDA flights.

The delays to Bermuda weren't so much due to not gettin ETOPS but because Zoom wasn't allowed/given move direct routing. They had to go up over Greenland then down to Bermuda. But as of the middle of this month they where given the "direct route" that BA gets so that should cut down on delays.
...Rastafari Stands Alone...

FCAFLYBOY

RE: Reasons Behind Zoom UK's Issues?

Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:40 pm

Quoting TXKF2010 (Reply 6):
The delays to Bermuda weren't so much due to not gettin ETOPS but because zoom wasn't allowed/given move direct routing.

They were given the northenly routing, that is correct, but this was BECUASE they had no ETOPS, which they now do, and not because someone in BDA/LGW decided to send them the long way around, just for fun!

They had to fly the longer route as a kind of proof to the CAA - Don't forget that it has been a LONG time since a "UK" Aairline has applied for ETOPS.

bwaflyer

Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:47 am

Quoting FCAFLYBOY (Reply 7):
Don't forget that it has been a LONG time since a "UK" Aairline has applied for ETOPS.

?????

Off the top of my head, AEU applied (and received) ETOPs for the 73G a couple of years ago, and are currently working on ETOPs for the 757 fleet.

txkf2010

Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:41 am

Quoting FCAFLYBOY (Reply 7):
this was BECUASE they had no ETOPS, which they now do, and not because someone in BDA/LGW decided to send them the long way around, just for fun

Well not according to the Premier but what does he know...

FCAFLYBOY

Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:59 pm

Quoting TXKF2010 (Reply 9):
Well not according to the Premier but what does he know...

I can assure you that was not the issue, why would he want an airline to have to fly a longer route to BDA anyway?

Quoting Bwaflyer (Reply 8):
Off the top of my head, AEU applied (and received) ETOPs for the 73G a couple of years ago, and are currently working on ETOPs for the 757 fleet.

Quite correct, but not really categorised the same way, as all of Zoom's flights are trans-atlantic, whereas AEU just do St John's occasionally (which they are now stopping anyway).

txkf2010

Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:12 am

Quoting FCAFLYBOY (Reply 10):
why would he want an airline to have to fly a longer route to BDA anyway?

Because he's an idoit lol

fly2yyz

Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:15 am

Quoting TXKF2010 (Reply 11):
Because he's an idoit lol

Yeah now if thats not a idiotic remark, I don't know what is. Zoom is a low cost airline, and thats the main thing that should be stipulated here. For a long time Bermudans only had BA and its only now that the price of tickets are coming down.

Zoom's problem for a long time now was that they did have ETOPS but they did not have the right ETOPS rating designated to fly a shorter more direct route. Isin't it sort of a rule where airlines have to fly an amount of time without any huge maintenance or safety issues for an amount of time before they can have an upgraded rating?