kdm

SQ And Operational Exigencies

Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:45 am

Maybe I am illiterate but I have just completed an internet check in on SQ and received an automated email. The email says "However, Singapore Airlines may have to re-assign seats without prior notice due to operational exigencies"

I am native English speaking and not specially stupid and yet have never come across the word "exigencies" before.

Is it wise to use such an uncommon word where any of the following could have worked just as easily.

crisis, contingency, plight, reasons

I expect it is a well educated Singaporean lawyer showing off his/her education, or before anyone else says it I am stupid.

UN_B732

RE: SQ And Operational Exigencies

Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:52 am

Well educated lawyer

Plus doesn't "operational exigency" sound 100 times more important than "plane change"?

-A
What now?

DLPMMM

Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:35 am

I have seen the word many times before, but most often in regard to legal or warfare writings (where people like to sound important  Wink ).

From Websters:

exigency

Main Entry: ex·i·gen·cy
Pronunciation: 'ek-s&-j&n(t)-sE, ig-'zi-j&n(t)-
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -cies
1 : that which is required in a particular situation -- usually used in plural
2 a : the quality or state of being exigent b : a state of affairs that makes urgent demands

zvezda

Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:26 pm

Quoting Kdm (Thread starter):
Is it wise to use such an uncommon word where any of the following could have worked just as easily.

crisis, contingency, plight, reasons

Exigency more clearly conveys the intended meaning. I rarely hear the word spoken, but I don't live in an English-speaking country. I do see it used from time to time in written English.

gbfra

Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:32 pm

Quoting DLPMMM (Reply 2):
I have seen the word many times before, but most often in regard to legal or warfare writings (where people like to sound important ).

From Websters:

exigency

The word is of French origin ("l'exigence")and frequently used there.

[Edited 2007-08-25 08:34:40]
The fundamental things apply as time goes by