FWAERJ
Topic Author

SBN-IND And EVV-IND Flights On Cape Air Soon...

Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:32 am

OK... it still has to be approved by the DOT, and the flights will be in nine-seat Cessna 402Cs initially. But Indiana is getting razor-close to getting SBN-IND and EVV-IND intrastate flights again starting October 31, thanks to Cape Air. Could FWA-IND be far behind?

Link: http://www.usatoday.com/travel/fligh...s/2007-08-24-indiana-flights_N.htm
"Did he really need the triple bypass? Or was it the miles?"

B4REAL

RE: SBN-IND And EVV-IND Flights On Cape Air Soon...

Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:36 am

We've seen so many times requests for this type of service - the question is how long will it last.

A good help to make this service work would be a codeshare on a brand carrier. Off the top of my head, if NW put the code on the flights, that may be a boost the NW FF base as they still have their focus city operation at IND. The only problem with the concept is that we are talking about 9 seat aircraft. So, what would NT do - buy 2 seats to resell?
B4REAL, spelled like it sounds

rampguy

Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:23 am

I think the minimum seating should be 19 seater Beechcraft. A 9 seat aircraft? Would people really fly on one of them? But, yes, I would love to see an airline do intra-Indiana flying. I know business people would love that, as I'm sure they come to Indy quite often.

Tornado82

Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:28 am

Quoting RampGuy (Reply 2):
I think the minimum seating should be 19 seater Beechcraft. A 9 seat aircraft? Would people really fly on one of them?

Cape Air is extremely successful up in New England with the 9 seaters, so evidentially MANY people "fly on one of them" quite often.

Why run a 19 seater when chances are only 9 seats will be filled anyways, therefore causing an (even bigger) subsidy to be needed? If there was money to be made flying this with a 19 seater I'm sure someone would have already taken the bait.

Lexy

Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:17 am

Quoting FWAERJ (Thread starter):
EVV-IND

Doubt that will last long. Especially since it's rather easy to drive from EVV to IND to catch a flight.

I would like to see them in Kentucky with some OWB-BNA flights or something like that.
Nashville, Tennessee KBNA

B4REAL

Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:16 am

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 3):

Cape Air is extremely successful up in New England with the 9 seaters, so evidentially MANY people "fly on one of them" quite often.

There is a big difference between Cape Air's services in New England and Micronesia - competition. All of the Indiana airports that are listed here have service by either AA/UA/DL/CO/NW/US/TZ or other major or LCC. Tell me if any of them fly to Martha's Vineyard.
B4REAL, spelled like it sounds

blueflyer

Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:42 am

Quoting B4REAL (Reply 5):
There is a big difference between Cape Air's services in New England and Micronesia - competition.

Cape Air has some obvious competition out of SJU and yet they seem to be doing pretty well too.

Quoting B4REAL (Reply 1):
A good help to make this service work would be a codeshare on a brand carrier.

And that may be why Cape Air does well out of SJU, its services are code-shared by CO.
Democracy 2016: 3 million California votes < 100,000 Midwest votes.

Indy

Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:19 am

Quoting Lexy (Reply 4):
Doubt that will last long. Especially since it's rather easy to drive from EVV to IND to catch a flight.

I guess if you call a 3 hour drive easy.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

Lexy

Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:14 pm

Quoting Indy (Reply 7):

Done it plenty of times when I lived in Western Kentucky. Believe me, the traffic on the roads between IND and EVV is fairly heavy for a three hour drive. Remember, they want to link the two cities with I-69.

Tornado82

Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:19 pm

Quoting B4REAL (Reply 5):
Tell me if any of them fly to Martha's Vineyard.

As many of those airlines fly to MVY as do fly direct between EVV-IND and SBN-IND. This isn't made to pick up connecting traffic for the most part, it's made for the intrastate commerce to the capital/largest city.

N353SK

Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:10 pm

Is this a primarily O&D service or are they looking for connections as well? Is Cape Air planning on codesharing with anybody on these routes?

Lexy

Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:51 pm

It would appear to be strictly O&D traffic. Which with nine seats, could work I guess.

atct

Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:52 am

Looks like a great idea to me. Glad to see CapeAir expand some more. Great outfit!

ATCT
Trikes are for kids!

Tornado82

Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:42 am

Where does Cape Air keep finding all the C402's for this new service and that EAS they picked up north.

deltadc9

Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:50 am

Quoting RampGuy (Reply 2):
I know business people would love that, as I'm sure they come to Indy quite often.

There are lots of businesses with headquarters in one and offices in another that need this service. I worked for two of them myself and the frustration level is huge.

Quoting Lexy (Reply 4):

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

Quoting Indy (Reply 7):

3 hours IF...

You dont get caught at any of the two dozen stoplights, or the 2 or 3 RR crossings, or the constant repairs on 41, or the mess in Terre Haute getting to the Interstate.

Or if you have more time and want less frustration you can drive to Louisville and hang a left.. Yeah sure

Sad that I can drive to Indy faster and easier from Lexington Kentucky that from Evansville Indiana. Just did it for the Colts Bears game and from the Dome to my driveway in the middle of Lexington it was 2 hours and 45 minutes.

Quoting Lexy (Reply 8):
Remember, they want to link the two cities with I-69.

Only half the state does, the other half has been very successful delaying it decades.  banghead 
Dont take life too seriously because you will never get out of it alive - Bugs Bunny

access-air

Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:15 am

Kind of funny how in a previous thread, I had made comments about a proposed service on this same route and how I stressed that it was a neccessary and good idea and I was shot down for the idea being impractical and too costly etc... etc....Funny how some people end up eating their own words.....I am glad to see that Cape Air is doing this. And yes, there are some people that would and will use the service. We need to shed this Regional Jet mentality and quit discounting the use of propeller planes on routes that warrent Propeller planes!!!!!!!!

Access-Air
Remember, Wherever you go, there you are!!!!

access-air

Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:18 am

I found the thread that I was referring to:
SBN-IND-EVV? (by SBNair3022 Jul 19 2007 in Civil Aviation)

Sorry I didnt include it in my previous post....

Access-Air

Tornado82

Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:24 am

Quoting Access-Air (Reply 15):
Kind of funny how in a previous thread, I had made comments about a proposed service on this same route and how I stressed that it was a neccessary and good idea and I was shot down for the idea being impractical and too costly etc

The costs of your recommended 2-piloted turbine-driven Beech 99 would still be impractical compared to this dirt cheap single pilot piston prop operation.

csturdiv

Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:03 am

Quoting Indy (Reply 7):

I'd much rather fly out of EVV than drive up that horrible highway known as US41 to get to I70 for a flight out of IND. If I still lived in the EVV area (I now live near ORD/RFD) I would drive for a flight out of SDF before IND.

Craig
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

access-air

Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:34 am

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 17):
The costs of your recommended 2-piloted turbine-driven Beech 99 would still be impractical compared to this dirt cheap single pilot piston prop operation.

True, it probably would be more costly with 2 pilots. However, I believe that for safety reasons and to make the passenegrs feel safer, you would need to have a two-man crew. Cape Air might have a hard time convincing MIdwestern passengers onto a single pilot flown aircraft operation. Maybe I'm wrong, as I dont think single pilot Cessna 402 oeprations are a bad thing, but I personally think that its gonna be tougher on Cape Air flying SP in the middle of the country than where the presently operate.
Out in the Northeast and down in Florida, travellers are accustomed to flying for years with the likes of PBA, Bar Harbor, Gull Air and now Cape Air flying Cessna 402s and probabaly single pilot!!
Cessna 402s were popular in the midwest in the 1970's but as soon as Beech 99s and Metros came around, piston planes fell by the way side and all except a few airlines in the mid to late 80s like Alliance, Propheter, American Central, Brower, Direct Air flew Navajos or CE-402s, most of which were 2 pilot crews.
I worked for Propheter and the Stipulation was we HAD to use 2 man crews. Imagine thge workload flying into ORD with a single pilot!!!!!!!

I applaud Cape Air for stepping up to this challenge and I hope it works!!

If it succeeds, I would love to see them possbily start flying from OHare to cities like Sterling/Rock Falls, Galesburg, Danville, or Mattoon, Illinois.

Access-Air

chase

Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:52 am

Just curious, where would an EVV-IND or IND-SBN flight likely divert to? Just turn around and go back to the point of origin? Or could HUF, LAF, BMG, etc. see diversions sometime?

boeing743

Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:11 am

It will be nice if it will be on either ERJ or CRJ when it will be more comfortable.

atct

Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:16 am

Quoting Access-Air (Reply 19):
Imagine thge workload flying into ORD with a single pilot!!!!!!!

No more than flying a solid IFR day ACK-BOS. VFR conditions in a Cessna 402 into ORD is cake. (I wouldnt know, I know C90A's, but its still not hard)

ATCT
Trikes are for kids!

Tornado82

Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:11 pm

Quoting Boeing743 (Reply 21):
It will be nice if it will be on either ERJ or CRJ when it will be more comfortable.

The CRJ is comfortable? I'd bet on the 402 being more comfortable.

Also, how would a 50 seat RJ running THAT route ever be feasible?

Tornado82

RE: SBN-IND And EVV-IND Flights On Cape Air Soon..

Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:17 pm

Sorry for the double dip...

Imagine thge workload flying into ORD with a single pilot!!!!!!!

But nobody is going to ORD, they're going to IND. A Class C airport in the flatlands of Indiana.

If it succeeds, I would love to see them possbily start flying from OHare to cities like Sterling/Rock Falls, Galesburg, Danville, or Mattoon, Illinois.

ORD slots should NOT be wasted flying more highly drivable routes on minuscule aircraft into one of the most congested airports in the country. It's bad enough the number of slots wasted flying to ORD from places like BMI, MLI, PIA, and SBN as it is on CRJ's. The last thing we need are more short hops, but being flown on 9 pax aircraft. A blip is still a blip, a slot is still a slot, and ORD is still uber-congested.

Flying them to the Class C wide open spaces at IND is fine, there is no congestion there (despite their little 3rd parallel rwy plans).

Cessna 402 oeprations are a bad thing, but I personally think that its gonna be tougher on Cape Air flying SP in the middle of the country than where the presently operate.

The weather is VFR far more often in Indiana than in the Cape Cod region. The terrain is also more gentle (and no oceans in the way), and the skies are far less congested.

The only problem I can see is during heavy lake effect snows in SBN. How good are the deicing abilities of a C402?

Indy

Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:25 pm

The Cape Air deal must be a done deal. They have put their first job listing online for IND.

http://www.careerbuilder.com/JobSeek...n%3bSS%3dNO%3bTITL%3d0%3bJQT%3dRAD

access-air

Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:45 am

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 24):
The only problem I can see is during heavy lake effect snows in SBN. How good are the deicing abilities of a C402?

De-icing abilities of Cessna 402s are very easy.....They are small and all flying surfaces can be reached by someone with their hands standing next to the plane.....I used to work for such a Part 135 Airline so I know first hand...I have also flown on a Cessna 402 carrying a buttload of ice...and it still flew.....Its de-ciing boots are just as effective as any other Booted aircraft save for the totally inadequate boot system on the ATR.

ORD slots should NOT be wasted flying more highly drivable routes on minuscule aircraft into one of the most congested airports in the country. It's bad enough the number of slots wasted flying to ORD from places like BMI, MLI, PIA, and SBN as it is on CRJ's. The last thing we need are more short hops, but being flown on 9 pax aircraft. A blip is still a blip, a slot is still a slot, and ORD is still uber-congested.

You are right about the over capacity on those cities you mentioned in with Uber-use of Regional jets, but that does not make the smaller cities that less important than the bigger ones....I really suggest that you try living in a small city that is attempting to survive and keep thriving and then see just how inconvenient it is to have to drive 1-2 hours to get on a flight often times that takes less time to fly to than the total time wasted on the road....When time is money, driving is not an option, unfortunately in smaller places like here in SQI its the ONLY option......

Access-Air

Tornado82

RE: SBN-IND And EVV-IND Flights On Cape Air Soon..

Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:15 am

Quoting Access-Air (Reply 26):
I really suggest that you try living in a small city that is attempting to survive and keep thriving and then see just how inconvenient it is to have to drive 1-2 hours to get on a flight often times that takes less time to fly to than the total time wasted on the road....When time is money, driving is not an option, unfortunately in smaller places like here in SQI its the ONLY option......

Been there, done that, still waiting on the tshirts. I lived right in the aforementioned area, in VPZ , up there by SBN and depending on traffic a 1.5 to 2.5 hour drive to ORD. If you note, in the last Intra-Indiana thread I was the one talking about the VPZ-IND "scheduled air taxi" service on Beech Barons that already exists.

Also I was born and raised in Uniontown, PA which has no airport of its own, and is about that long of a drive from PIT, or dependent on MGW's EAS service which has been screwy for how long now.

Rcardinale

Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:52 am

this decision seems a little wierd to me. Cape Air currently flies to vacation destinations from large citites such as BOS and TPA. Thought that they were gonna expand from BOS because of their new request to fly BOS-VT but good luck to them

syncmaster

Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:04 am

Not to change the subject, but I wouldn't exactly call SBN a "waste of slots" for United. Virtually all of their flights are at least 90% full or better. They wouldn't be flying as many CRJ-700's in there if it wasn't a good route.

Tornado82

Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:16 am

Quoting Syncmaster (Reply 29):

Not to change the subject, but I wouldn't exactly call SBN a "waste of slots" for United. Virtually all of their flights are at least 90% full or better. They wouldn't be flying as many CRJ-700's in there if it wasn't a good route.

8x is still a waste, upgrade the equipment and cut it down to about 6x. The frequency doesn't mean a thing when the flights are so often behind schedule and cancelled anyways.

access-air

Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:49 am

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 30):
8x is still a waste, upgrade the equipment and cut it down to about 6x. The frequency doesn't mean a thing when the flights are so often behind schedule and cancelled anyways.

Hmmmmm....this seems to be what I have been screaming over and over and over about in just about every thread having to do with over congested hubs....Does anyone ever read the threads?

Not only is 8x per day with an RJ a waste, its a waste fuel and crew costs and concrete space art the airports...If the big carriers can do it with fewer larger planes then they should.....

Access-Air

Tornado82

Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:39 am

Quoting Access-Air (Reply 31):

Hmmmmm....this seems to be what I have been screaming over and over and over about in just about every thread having to do with over congested hubs....Does anyone ever read the threads?

I wasn't disagreeing with you there. Syncmaster is the one who chastised my "waste of slots" phraseology in terms of SBN's 8x CRJ's, not you.

access-air

Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:08 am

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 32):
wasn't disagreeing with you there. Syncmaster is the one who chastised my "waste of slots" phraseology in terms of SBN's 8x CRJ's, not you.

No problem......I was just making the statement that there are too many mega hubs as you and I agree that are way over served with too many Regional Jets.

I actually think that there should be a concession made for smaller communities to be served thru a hub...but to cut down on the slots needed, sting these cities together from like A to B to C to Hub....The person in city A might have to sit thru B and C but thats better than having to drive.....It would certainly cut down on the numebr of arrivals and departures and could also create a bit of local traffic as well.....

The small prop planes do fit in someplace but in todays Mega Fortress hub environments its nearly impossible.

Access-Air

Tornado82

Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:17 am

Quoting Access-Air (Reply 33):
sting these cities together from like A to B to C to Hub....The person in city A might have to sit thru B and C but thats better than having to drive.....It would certainly cut down on the numebr of arrivals and departures and could also create a bit of local traffic as well.....

Many EAS contracts are like that already. I've sat through a hop in CKB numerous times on my way to/from MGW. I used to quite often go SBN-PIT-CKB-MGW when US still flew SBN-PIT when I was in college. It was quite the scenic and enjoyable ride home.

access-air

Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:58 am

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 34):
Quoting Access-Air (Reply 33):
sting these cities together from like A to B to C to Hub....The person in city A might have to sit thru B and C but thats better than having to drive.....It would certainly cut down on the numebr of arrivals and departures and could also create a bit of local traffic as well.....

Many EAS contracts are like that already. I've sat through a hop in CKB numerous times on my way to/from MGW. I used to quite often go SBN-PIT-CKB-MGW when US still flew SBN-PIT when I was in college. It was quite the scenic and enjoyable ride home.

Great Lakes used to run a flight from Spencer to Ft. Dodge to Mason City to Waterloo to OHare....Imagine if all of those cities would have needed its own nonstop flight into ORD. I have actually flown that same route only in reverse going to a traning class in Spencer when GLA was based there....It was fun actually. The only problem is the poor people that get on in Spencer or are headed to Spencer.....Its better than driving....

At one time when Great Lakes was making schedule adjustments they were running a flight from Ottumwa to Quincy to Burlington to Sterling/Rock Falls to OHare and back twice a day. Milkruns, you gotta love them....

Access-Air

KarlB737

Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:38 am

Looks like GYY will try to get in on the Cape Air action to IND as well.

Courtesy: Gary Post-Tribune

"In other action, the authority voted 4-0, with three members absent, to enter into a contract with Portland, Ore.-based Sixel Consulting to broker an agreement for interstate airline travel to Indianapolis.

Owner Mark Sixel helped to broker a deal between the South Bend and Evansville airport authorities and Cape Air, based in Hyannis, Mass., to provide the Indianapolis service."

http://www.post-trib.com/business/557577,gairport.article

FWAERJ
Topic Author

Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:02 am

Quoting KarlB737 (Reply 36):
Looks like GYY will try to get in on the Cape Air action to IND as well.

That's a good start!

Now if they could also get DL Connection to ATL, SX to CMH and possibly other cities, or G4 to SFB and PIE. Although G4 has said many times that they won't start GYY until the runway is lengthened and the railroad tracks are moved, that's happening as I speak. In fact, any airline that isn't some fly-by-night public charter like GYY had in the past would satisfy me. Then, northwestern Indiana and Chicago's south suburbs would really have something to cheer about.
"Did he really need the triple bypass? Or was it the miles?"

Indy

Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:22 am

Does anyone know who will be handling the Cape Air flights? And where will they operate at IND? I can't see them having a ticket counter and/or a gate. I wonder if they will even operate out of the terminal.

deltadc9

Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:16 pm

Just as I knew it would be, another lawsuit looks to stall I-69 for years, groundbreaking was supposed to happen soon, but not now it appears.

The timing of this service could not be better.
Dont take life too seriously because you will never get out of it alive - Bugs Bunny

Indy

Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:21 am

A new one was filed? I wonder if the governor will exercise the same option with this one as he did with the toll road suit? The option was one that required the person filing the suit to put up a bond equal to the value of the project/deal they are trying to obstruct until the court case is over. It is a nice tool the state has to deal with nuisance suits like this.

marksixel

Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:48 am

Quoting Indy (Reply 38):

They will operate out of the terminal, most likely D concourse.

comair will handle the flights in SBN and EVV.

Indy

Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:40 am

D doesn't seem likely when their partners appear to be CO, DL and NW. None of which are in D. Though C2 which is set up for tarmac boarding is leased by FL and the one in the A concourse is leased by NW. I don't know if the gate in D with the stairs is leased to anyone or not. But I guess it would seem that the only partner airline with a RJ style is NW so I wonder if they'd use the A concourse? There is space sort of between B and C that C8 used to use. I wonder if that is where they will go. Doesn't Comair also fly for DL?

Since they appear to be wanting to allow connections with the three partner airlines they could use a van to take people to the stairs at C and then drive over to A for the NW flights. C access gives a person access to the B concourse without having to go through security. They could in reality get anyone to any concourse and keep them from having to clear security.

KarlB737

Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:58 am

Fort Wayne is wondering why they have been left out of the proposed Cape Air Intrastate flights. I would have thought that short distance factor would be the reason however a link between two fairly large cities may be very important to some passengers. In the following report some people answer that question.

Courtesy: Indiana News Center

Fort Wayne Left Out...

http://www.indianasnewscenter.com/news/9905912.html

Video Report:

http://www.indianasnewscenter.com/news/9905912.html?video=YHI&t=a

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos