as739x

Alaska Airlines: Hawaiian Flower Lei

Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:25 pm

Alaska will be applying a flower lei around our Eskimo on all 10 ETOPS 738. This had been rumored and I am glad to see it will happen.

"When Alaska Airlines' Eskimo lands in Hawaii this fall he'll be dressed in style, wearing a brightly colored lei around his trademark fur parka."

"Plans call for the decals to be applied to all 10 of the airline's ETOPS-equipped 737-800s delivered by November. Each aircraft's Eskimo will wear them for the next six to eight months."

From Alaskasworld.com

ASSFO
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

OzarkD9S

RE: Alaska Airlines: Hawaiian Flower Lei

Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:35 pm

I'm so glad that after all these years, he's finally getting lei'ed!
Next up: STL-OAK-RNO-LAS-ICT-STL

FLY777UAL

Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:59 pm

They look great! I liked the little blurb they had on the "Man of Many Faces!"

F L Y 7 7 7 U A L

A388

Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:01 pm

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 1):

Haha, good one Ozark Big grin

A388

flyboy80

Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:43 pm

another interesting rumor... Supposedly QX is going to be introducing some "interesting" RJ color schemes for marketing.

ER757

Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:21 am

Thanks for the info AS739X - I will have my camera ready when these birds start making their appearances at SEA.
Sill haven't gotten a shot of the Starliner, so now I have more work ahead. Good luck on your Hawaii routes.

bayareablue

Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:53 am

Quoting ER757 (Reply 5):
Thanks for the info AS739X - I will have my camera ready when these birds start making their appearances at SEA.
Sill haven't gotten a shot of the Starliner, so now I have more work ahead. Good luck on your Hawaii routes.

I have some pictures I will post of the aircraft. I was able to see it being worked on in the Hangar in Seattle. It looks pretty cool and unique. The first aircraft was tail no. N558AS.

Bluewave 707

Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:21 am

We'll be waiting to see @ HNL too!
"The best use of your life will be to so live your life, that the use of your life will outlive your life" -- D Severn

as739x

Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:56 am

I got a first hand view. It RON'ed here in San Francisco last night. I walked out when I got to work and took a look. I personally really like it!

ASSFO
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

RIXrat

Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:16 am

Johnny Cash with a lei around his neck? This I've got to see.

bayareablue

Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:54 am

Here is one of the pictures I promised. Sorry I was not able to upload to the photo database but I was given the arror message the pictures were too large. Enjoy!!!
Big version: Width: 2592 Height: 1944 File size: 1597kb

Flight209

Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:54 am

This reminds me of a photo I saw in the late '80s of gold-tinted sunglass decals slapped onto the Eskimo (or, to be more politically correct, the Inuit). The sunglasses, AIUI, were aimed at the California market -- specifically, to sell Californians on the fact that, following the AA-OC, DL-WA, and US-PS takeovers, AS had just become the only all-jet airline based on the West Coast.
I may question your opinion, but I'll never question your right to it.

A388

Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:59 am

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 1):

Looking at the tail picture he is very modestly "lei'ed" Big grin

A388

ER757

Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:29 am

Quoting BayAreaBlue (Reply 10):
Here is one of the pictures I promised

Nice photo BayAreaBlue. Is that an ATA L-1011 in the background?

aloha73g

Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:29 am

Quoting A388 (Reply 12):
Looking at the tail picture he is very modestly "lei'ed"

Yeah....just your basic purple dendrobium orchid lei.

Maybe there will be some variety (different Lei on each plane)
I can see it now:
"The Orchid Plane"
"The Plumeria Plane"
"The Carnation/Tuberose Plane"
"The Ilima Plane"
"The Pikake Plane"
"The Pakalana Plane"

The possibilities are endless (and VERY colorful).

Wait....maybe I just figured out Aloha's next livery??  scratchchin 

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

Mcmax

Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:18 pm

Saw it this past Thursday while connecting through SEA from YVR. It's very distinctive, and the purple colors on the orchids really "pop" compared to the blue Eskimo. It's really beautiful. (Also saw the Starliner, Disneyland and alaskaair.com planes, too--it was a great spotters day!)

--Max
De minimis non curat lex tamen ego curao

bayareablue

Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:22 pm

Quoting ER757 (Reply 13):
Nice photo BayAreaBlue. Is that an ATA L-1011 in the background?

Yes ER757, that is an L-1011 in the background at the S gates. It had basic ATA paint w/o the logo on the tail. A big ATA was on the side however. I did some searching and found out it was a soldier transport to an AFB, can't remember which one.

Quoting Aloha73G (Reply 14):

Unfortunately there will not be any differences in the design. The next few aircraft will get "Lei"ed this week. It pretty much takes a good majority of the night to be completed.

Quoting McMax (Reply 15):
Saw it this past Thursday while connecting through SEA from YVR.

McMax, you probably saw it at gate C-9. It was taking out flight 83 to ANC as it's maiden voyage since being "Lei"ed.

gunsontheroof

Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:29 pm

Lookin' good Chester, lookin' good. I'll be watching for these at SEA soon!

gunsontheroof

Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:40 pm

Quoting BayAreaBlue (Reply 16):

Yes ER757, that is an L-1011 in the background at the S gates. It had basic ATA paint w/o the logo on the tail. A big ATA was on the side however. I did some searching and found out it was a soldier transport to an AFB, can't remember which one.

Might be DNA (Kadena AFB, Japan)...I see lots of ATA troop charters from SEA going there with the L1011. I'd check flight aware, but I'm lazy. I presume ship 558 was at the hangar when you took that?

AirframeAS

Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:42 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 12):
Looking at the tail picture he is very modestly "lei'ed"  biggrin 

Looking at the picture carefully, to me, Chester doesn't looke "lei'ed", it only looks like he is in front of Hawaiian flowers. The rudder isn't painted to show its around his neck fully. Oh wait, Chester doesn't have a neck! LOL!

To me, it looks like a stick of flowers on the side of his face.

They are putting this on all the tails of the 738's??
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

gunsontheroof

Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:03 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 19):
They are putting this on all the tails of the 738's??

Just the ten ETOPS birds according to the thread starter.

HNLtrades118

Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:42 pm

Quoting Aloha73G (Reply 14):
I can see it now:
"The Orchid Plane"
"The Plumeria Plane"
"The Carnation/Tuberose Plane"
"The Ilima Plane"
"The Pikake Plane"
"The Pakalana Plane"

Haha! AQ and HA might take offense though.

An awesome addition to the AS livery, and I can't wait to see them here in HNL!

~jon
"Do not wait for extraordinary circumstances to do good action; try to use ordinary situations." -Sam Rayburn

wedgetail737

Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:08 pm

Quoting Flight209 (Reply 11):
This reminds me of a photo I saw in the late '80s of gold-tinted sunglass decals slapped onto the Eskimo (or, to be more politically correct, the Inuit). The sunglasses, AIUI, were aimed at the California market -- specifically, to sell Californians on the fact that, following the AA-OC, DL-WA, and US-PS takeovers, AS had just become the only all-jet airline based on the West Coast.

I believe that was the intra-California advertising campaign when AS applied the Roy Orbison sunglasses on some of the Maddogs...not too long after they acquired Jet America. I remember seeing the Jet America/Alaska hybrid airplanes constantly doing the OAK-LGB and OAK-BUR routes.

OzarkD9S

Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:47 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 12):

Looking at the tail picture he is very modestly "lei'ed"

Sometimes you gotta take what you can get  Wink
Next up: STL-OAK-RNO-LAS-ICT-STL

A388

Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:57 am

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 23):
Sometimes you gotta take what you can get

Haha priceless!!!! Even so you are right my friend Big grin

A388

Mcmax

Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:11 pm

Quoting BayAreaBlue (Reply 16):
you probably saw it at gate C-9. It was taking out flight 83 to ANC as it's maiden voyage since being "Lei"ed

Actually, we were sitting in the Pacific Market, and I saw it taxi by on its way to departure. I remember wishing I had my camera because it was such a distinctive livery. I would have thought its maiden voyage would have been to the Islands instead of ANC?
De minimis non curat lex tamen ego curao

AirframeAS

Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:16 pm

Quoting McMax (Reply 25):
I would have thought its maiden voyage would have been to the Islands instead of ANC?

Service to Hawaii doesn't start until October.

gunsontheroof

Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:29 pm

Quoting HNLtrades118 (Reply 21):
Haha! AQ and HA might take offense though.

HA could just put a parka on their tail lady in retaliation...

Quoting McMax (Reply 25):
I would have thought its maiden voyage would have been to the Islands instead of ANC?

As AirframeAS already said, service doesn't begin until October. Even so, AS probably wants to drum up some more publicity for Hawaii service in their core markets. It's been well advertised around Seattle for what I've seen, I'm sure their flights will do well.

I'm sure this has probably been brought up in other threads on the topic, but how might this affect Alaska's relationships with NW and HA? Is HA codesharing for inter-island routes, or is AS planning on expanding with more non-stops to the islands out of SEA?

AirframeAS

Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:48 pm

Quoting Gunsontheroof (Reply 27):
but how might this affect Alaska's relationships with NW and HA?

I don't think Hawaiian would mind, but Im curious as to how NW would react. It's gonna be pretty interesting to watch. My bet is that NW is gonna get peeved off!

rwsea

Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:13 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 28):
I don't think Hawaiian would mind, but Im curious as to how NW would react. It's gonna be pretty interesting to watch. My bet is that NW is gonna get peeved off!

NW is upgrading and upgauging one of their daily 753 flights to an A333 this fall. After the switch NW will be operating 1x daily SEA-HNL with the 753 and 1x daily with the A333. However, I believe this is more due to the need to rotate the planes through HNL than a reaction to AS (NW recently retired the 747-200s and replaced them with the A333 on some of the beach routes).

If it was a NW 753 vs. an AS 738, I'd go with AS everytime. However, the A330 is such a great bird that I'd pick that over the 738 everytime  Smile.

Either way good to see more service to Hawaii from SEA.

flyboy97502

Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:20 pm

Quoting Flyboy80 (Reply 4):
another interesting rumor... Supposedly QX is going to be introducing some "interesting" RJ color schemes for marketing.

USER PROFILE

Haven't heard that one yet.... We only have the F9 ones returning that are being re-painted and they have been painted back into our regular liv. well with the exception of the one thats like pearl off white.
SKYHIGH Airlines- It's important that we get the SkyHigh message out there. That message? Thank you for your money.

EA CO AS

Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:38 pm

how might this affect Alaska's relationships with NW and HA?

There is no relationship with HA anymore to my knowledge.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

HNLtrades118

Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:03 pm

HA could just put a parka on their tail lady in retaliation...

Hehe, that'd be hilarious, yet odd. I think the HA ilk would raise protest!

I'm sure this has probably been brought up in other threads on the topic, but how might this affect Alaska's relationships with NW and HA?

Hmm...that is an excellent question. As mentioned above, NW is indeed adding frequency with the A333 supplementing the daily B753 service, but I think that's both for rotational purposes as well as meeting AS's advance into the SEA-Hawaii market head-on. I do think that AS is in a position to make NW mighty itchy on this route.

~jon
"Do not wait for extraordinary circumstances to do good action; try to use ordinary situations." -Sam Rayburn

AirframeAS

Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:08 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 31):
There is no relationship with HA anymore to my knowledge.

Thats why I said HA wouldn't mind.

Quoting HNLtrades118 (Reply 32):
I do think that AS is in a position to make NW mighty itchy on this route.

Oh, NW is gonna be beyond 'itchy', they are gonna be peeved off if they aren't yet! Thats my guess.

gunsontheroof

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:48 pm

Quoting HNLtrades118 (Reply 32):

Hmm...that is an excellent question. As mentioned above, NW is indeed adding frequency with the A333 supplementing the daily B753 service, but I think that's both for rotational purposes as well as meeting AS's advance into the SEA-Hawaii market head-on. I do think that AS is in a position to make NW mighty itchy on this route.

So let me see if I've got this clear...the upgrade to an A333 will be adding capacity between SEA and HNL? I know NW is running 2x daily 753s on the route now (and while we're talking about positioning, it looks like there was an A333 ferry on the route today), but I would assume they'd run more frequencies during the winter. Is the A333 upgrade NW's way of adding capacity without frequency while also serving their positioning needs?

Could be an interesting winter. AS has a lot of loyalty here in SEA, but HA and NW have been established in this market for as long as I can remember. As AirframeAS suggested, NW might get a bit irked by this. When do bigger carriers decide that AS' network is getting too big for comfort (i.e. if (when?) they launch SEA-ATL, SEA-IAH, etc.) Probably for another thread...

Will passengers still be able to (if they want) book NW flights to Hawaii via a codeshare with QX, or is that no more?