qqflyboy

AA JFK Dedication/Announcements(?)

Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:32 am

On August 29, AA will dedicate the new B concourse in T9 and officially open phase II of the new terminal. There is still some construction on-going, but the bulk of the work is now complete. AA's CEO Gerard Arpey, along with NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg, will be in attendance.

For the past couple of months there have been rumors we will soon hear more about AA's long delayed plan for more TATL flying out of JFK on 757s. As 29Aug gets nearer, there is speculation an announcement will be made that day regarding new routes (this even coming from local base management). It is said the festivities planned are larger than what a concourse dedication would normally garner leading to the increased speculation.

Of course, AA has already announced we'll begin 763 service to STN in late October, with a second STN flight coming in March. In September, AA begins JFK-LAS. This winter, new service from JFK to Orlando, St. Kitts and St. Lucia begins. This represents five new routes for AA out of JFK, no small number. There is room to grow with the new terminal and it's good to see some growth coming our way there. It would sure be nice to hear about more growth 29Aug. Thoughts?
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

BigGSFO

RE: AA JFK Dedication/Announcements(?)

Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:38 am

Could they also announce some key OneWorld partners, such as LAN, Cathay, QANTAS, Malev and Iberia, moving to T9 making interline connections more efficient? We know BA will stay put, unless if ATI is cleared, we could see some wrangling there however unlikely.

Aisak

Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:19 am

Quoting BigGSFO (Reply 1):
Could they also announce some key OneWorld partners, such as LAN, Cathay, QANTAS, Malev and Iberia, moving to T9 making interline connections more efficient?

For CX and QF: They come from far far far west (CX) and south&west (QF), so JFK is far from ideal to be a connecting point. Also QF flight comes half empty from LAX hubbing passengers from SYD, MEL and BNE so connections are better done at LAX

For LAN: Pretty much the same. The LAT-AM connecting point is and will continue to be MIA, and LAX to a lesser extent.

For IB: They could move in with AA again (they left T8 about 3 years ago). IB's big gateway in USA for hand-over to AA is ORD where the aircraft is towed between T5 and T3 to maximize connections. Also there are other places to connect onto some AA flights like BOS, MIA and IAD. I see MAD-JFK capable of sustain a high amount of passengers terminating at JFK

AY and MA are housed at T9 along with AA because it's their only flight to the US and need to lower the connection times as much as possible. Maybe RJ will move, but I guess connections will be better handled on the daily 6-hour-turn-arround at ORD

Tan Flyr

Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:46 am

Perhaps TLV? Has enough time elapsed since 2001 for the contractual stuff left over from then?

Perhaps one of the other unused former TWA authorites?

LAXintl

Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:05 am

The event is discussed here. Its being put on by NYC and Company Big "Global Tourism" Announcement For New York? (by Drgmobile Aug 24 2007 in Civil Aviation)
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

sfoqqaa

Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:19 am

Was at the terminal just yesterday and will be in attendance for the dedication and the rumor mill is going wild. I can tell you what I heard, but I have no idea if any of it is true. This came from some of the AA staff at JFK:

JFK-MXP, JFK-AMS & JFK-FRA for international... JFK-HNL, JFK-AUS (AA), JFK-ATL (AE) on domestic side.

Apparently the ATL Eagle route is to compete with DL for some of the ATL based international traffic and the AUS route is to compete with B6.

The staff also seems to think that there will be some terminal movements by other Oneworld carriers, most notably JL and QF. Discussion revolved around Premium Check-in and Lounge space which AA lacked before. Now that the new Flagship Lounge/Admirals Club and Premium Ticket Counter location are set to open, some of the other Oneworld carriers are interested. Both Malev and Finnair already in T9 are 2 class aircraft operators where as JL and QF are 3.

Whatever the case, The terminal is very nice and I'm sure something will be announced with the dedication!

Delta4eva

Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:47 pm

How many gates will AA have at JFK after phase II?
FLY DELTA JETS

BigGSFO

Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:05 pm

Quoting SFOQQAA (Reply 5):
JFK-HNL

Really? That doesn't seem likely given their shortage of widebodies.

bok269

Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:33 pm

I was in T9 for the first time earlier this summer, and contrary to the rest of my AA experience, I was quite impressed with T9.
"Reality is wrong, dreams are for real." -Tupac

aajfksjubklyn

Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:09 pm

Its a grand terminal and I will be there also. I will be the one in tears as my best friend was killed building that terminal! He was run over by an AA employee bus in 2000, just as they started construction. I was there this am to drop the partner off for his STI run and I see they have opened the left side so to say. There were flowers and everything ready to go. It truly is a great terminal..I officially call it the Michael P. Kaplan Terminal, in memory of my buddy!

panamair

Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:38 pm

Well, the new routes are:

JFK-MXP and JFK-BCN

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070827/lam035.html?.v=100

upperdeckfan

Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:01 pm

Quoting Aisak (Reply 2):
IB's big gateway in USA for hand-over to AA is ORD where the aircraft is towed between T5 and T3 to maximize connections

I hate this move, doesn't allow IB customers to enjoy BA lounge at int'l terminal but the ugly AA's at T3 where they almost charge you for breathing.

Quoting Aisak (Reply 2):
For IB: They could move in with AA again

Hope they stay at BA's terminal, it's a luxury to land at JFK and be able to clear inmigration and customs in less than 30 minutes.
744,742,741,772,773,762,732,735,738,752,727,717,DC10,DC9,M82,M87,319,320,321,343,346,L1011,CRJ2,CRJ9,E190,ATR42,DSH8,

BigGSFO

Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:29 pm

Quoting Panamair (Reply 10):

JFK-MXP and JFK-BCN

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070827/l...v=100

Very nice. I assume IB will code-share on the new JFK-BCN

STT757

Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:33 pm

Quoting Delta4eva (Reply 6):
How many gates will AA have at JFK after phase II?

39, of which 19 can handle International arrivals.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

747fan

Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:18 pm

Quoting Panamair (Reply 10):

JFK-MXP and JFK-BCN

Glad to see that AA is finally adding more Europe flights (in addition to the 2nd STN flight) to their JFK operation after resting on their laurels for so long while DL expanded to Europe. One notable hole in their Europe operation from JFK that I'm surprised they didn't fill is FRA - that could maybe even work with a 777 (given they have enough available, but they do have 47 of them). AMS is another notable route that's missing and would work with a 757 if AA couldn't utilize another 767.

incitatus

Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:29 pm

Quoting STT757 (Reply 13):
39, of which 19 can handle International arrivals.

Is that about 10 more gates than Delta has?

I am guessing Delta's plan of becoming the largest international airline at JFK just went down the drain. It has not happened nor it will.
Stop pop up ads

upperdeckfan

Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:29 pm

Quoting BigGSFO (Reply 12):
Very nice. I assume IB will code-share on the new JFK-BCN

AFAIK, DL have had a hard time sustaining a daily 763 JFK-BCN year round, however, AA might take advantage of IB FF's out of BCN who can earn miles on AA avoiding the stopover in MAD when flying IB to JFK.
744,742,741,772,773,762,732,735,738,752,727,717,DC10,DC9,M82,M87,319,320,321,343,346,L1011,CRJ2,CRJ9,E190,ATR42,DSH8,

panamair

Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:33 pm

Quoting 747fan (Reply 14):
One notable hole in their Europe operation from JFK that I'm surprised they didn't fill is FRA - that could maybe even work with a 777 (given they have enough available, but they do have 47 of them). AMS is another notable route that's missing and would work with a 757 if AA couldn't utilize another 767.

They've tried JFK-FRA at least twice and both times it didn't work (obviously). JFK-FRA is a tough one that is already locked up by LH and *A, with the leftover scraps going to DL and SQ.

AMS is generally not a high-yield market at all (hence AA has stayed away from it for a while (even though it did almost start ORD-AMS some time ago); lately it has become even more difficult especially since the SkyTeam carriers have basically locked it up (DL, CO, KL/NW basically offering more than sufficient capacity in the NYC-AMS market).

panamair

Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:47 pm

Quoting UPPERDECKFAN (Reply 16):
AFAIK, DL have had a hard time sustaining a daily 763 JFK-BCN year round,

They don't do JFK-BCN daily during the winter; it's down to 4-5 x weekly during the slow season anyway. With the 752s coming on line, DL will have more flexibility as well since JFK-BCN is very do-able with the 752s. Not saying that DL will put the 757 there but it is an option...

aajfksjubklyn

Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:51 pm

I remember being in BCN back in 2002 and there were American Airlines signs up at the curbside drop-off. Correct me if I am wrong...but didnt they try JFK-BCN sometime ago and never launched it?

DFWEagle

Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:59 pm

Absolutely fantastic news!!! Both Barcelona and Milan will be new cities to the AA network.

Quoting UPPERDECKFAN (Reply 16):
AFAIK, DL have had a hard time sustaining a daily 763 JFK-BCN year round, however, AA might take advantage of IB FF's out of BCN who can earn miles on AA avoiding the stopover in MAD when flying IB to JFK.

I think that JFK-BCN should do fine for AA. IB does not fly from New York to Barcelona itself and will almost certainly code-share on the route. With Iberia’s large frequent flyer base at one end and American’s at the other, the route should do just fine. Furthermore, IB and AA have just applied for antitrust immunity so that should deepen their alliance and co-operation.

Good to see them firmly committing to the second JFK-STN flight too. I think this gives an indication that the initial bookings on the first STN flight were at least reasonable.

These additions will make New York JFK the single largest transatlantic gateway for American, with up to 15 daily transatlantic flights (6x777, 9x763) serving 8 airports in 7 cities.

LHR 6x777
STN 2x763
CDG 2x763
BRU 1x763
ZRH 1x763
MXP 1x763
FCO 1x763
BCN 1x763
Ryan / HKG

Delta4eva

Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:01 am

Will the JFK-MXP, and JFK-BCN flights for AA be seasonal? I don't see them being able to sustain these flights during the winter.
FLY DELTA JETS

elmothehobo

Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:03 am

Quoting AAJFKSJUBKLYN (Reply 19):
but didnt they try JFK-BCN sometime ago and never launched it?

Yes, it was announced but never launched. It was a joint announcement of JFK-BCN and JFK-FCO.

elmothehobo

Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:08 am

Quoting Delta4eva (Reply 21):
Will the JFK-MXP, and JFK-BCN flights for AA be seasonal?

No, though American may change that as they see fit.

I don't see them being able to sustain these flights during the winter.

Though it doesn't make up for summer traffic, Milan gets quite a bit of ski traffic. Milan is also a major business center, they should be able to sustain the flight with business traffic during the low season.

DFWEagle

Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:22 am

Will the JFK-MXP, and JFK-BCN flights for AA be seasonal? I don't see them being able to sustain these flights during the winter.

No, they will be year-round.

Milan is a major business market – they cannot fly that route seasonally or they won’t get the high yielding business traffic they desire.

Also, AA does not fly seasonal European routes anymore. If it is not sustainable year round, they cancel it. That’s why ORD-GLA was cancelled, while JFK-FCO and ORD-FCO went year-round.
Ryan / HKG

PA101

Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:22 am

I'm still surprised that AA couldn't get JFK-FRA to work. Thus, they leave all eastcoast bound pax to DL or CO. Now that they are going to build up JFK as a hub, it should be worth another try - at least with 757s. AAs presence in Central Europe - and in Germany in particular - is pretty weak anyhow, and most pax will prefer not to transfer though LHR, just to be flying with them...

Alitalia744

Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:10 am

Quoting Incitatus (Reply 15):
I am guessing Delta's plan of becoming the largest international airline at JFK just went down the drain. It has not happened nor it will.

Another great reply and way to bring an argument into the thread. Not surprising given it's coming from you.

Delta's goal isn't to become the "largest international airline" - their goal is to optimize and grow what they have or can have. Being #1 isn't always best.

That being said, the current rumor is an additional 10 routes for next-summer's line-up for Delta birds leaving the Worldport - to places they currently do not serve...
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

MAH4546

Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:10 am

The stations will be year-round, but I know that AA has a back-up plan to move the flights to Miami during the winter if they don't see winter bookings strong. I don't see that happening though, I personally feel that they will operate year-round, but both might be reduced to 5x weekly during the winter season. It is important to run these routes year-round, and AA will unless advance loads are very poor.
a.

incitatus

Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:23 am

Quoting Alitalia744 (Reply 26):
Another great reply and way to bring an argument into the thread. Not surprising given it's coming from you.

Delta's goal isn't to become the "largest international airline" - their goal is to optimize and grow what they have or can have. Being #1 isn't always best.

In a thread talking about American expanding service at JFK, especially transatlantic, do we sit by and pretend Delta does not exist?

As for Delta's goal, Delta's intentions are written all over the place - unless they changed....
Look for example at this press release:
http://news.delta.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=10125

That being said, the current rumor is an additional 10 routes for next-summer's line-up for Delta birds leaving the Worldport - to places they currently do not serve...

10 new routes next summer... ! Wow. Last winter I checked on how many destinations were being served DAILY by Delta over the winter. I think it was only Gatwick. Not even Paris (or FRA, or AMS, or MAD btw) saw daily JFK service on Delta metal. Delta might end up being known as the preferred summer carrier to Europe in New York, as the number of destinations seeing daily year round service out of JFK has been a single one.
Stop pop up ads

qqflyboy

Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:29 am

Most delicious news, indeed! I am surprised they released the info before the dedication on the 29th, but at least we don't have to wait any more. And the press release said there is, "much more to come." I guess what is surprising about this is all these flights are on 763s. Who knows if we'll ever see more 757 TATL flying. Or, perhaps, we'll see AMS and FRA pop-up as 757s since those may be thinner routes. Who knows. It'd just be nice to know what the long term plan is. This constant guessing is killing me! For now, however, I am most delighted with the additions.
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

FlyPNS1

Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:46 am

Between DL and AA building up (not to even mention B6), next year's delays at JFK will make this year look like smooth sailing. Maybe DL and AA can have a race to see who has the worst on-time performance at JFK.  Yeah sure

Time to start adding more padding to those block times.........

b737100

Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:50 am

I'm pleasantly surprised. I have watched DL and US expand their international networks since getting their costs down via Chapter 11. There was talk of adding more international flying from JFK with wingletted 757s, but then it all seemed to die down. I figured that there would be no more expansion until their internal house was in order to spare the embarrassment of another PEK debacle. When is the APA contract up for renewal? What are the odds things can be resolved in a amicable manner? The bonus issue left a bad taste with the rank and file and morale seems bleak.
I'm afraid CR won't be coming back again to make things better like he did with The American Way kickback scandal.
Boeing 737 sunjet service

PRAirbus

Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:58 am

AA contracts talks are barely starting w/pilots and ramp (TWU), FAs will be next in 2008...things will get heated not doubt...keep your fingres crossed but I would not be too optimistic since both sides are pretty apart from each other right now thanks to CEO/top management latest bonuses, they should have shared some of their wealth w/all employees. It would have been a nice gesture, an olive branch but corporate America doesn't usually work like that except on very few isolated cases such as CO...wonder why CO employees usually get better ratings than AA personnel re: customer service/courtesy....AA's workforce is demoralized.

PRAirbus

Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:58 am

AA contracts talks are barely starting w/pilots and ramp (TWU), FAs will be next in 2008...things will get heated not doubt...keep your fingers crossed but I would not be too optimistic since both sides are pretty apart from each other right now thanks to CEO/top management latest bonuses, they should have shared some of their wealth w/all employees. It would have been a nice gesture, an olive branch but corporate America doesn't usually work like that except on very few isolated cases such as CO...wonder why CO employees usually get better ratings than AA personnel re: customer service/courtesy....AA's workforce is demoralized.

elmothehobo

Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:33 am

I don't know where American is finding the available aircraft for this expansion. Adding ORD-EZE, JFK-STN (2), JFK-MXP and JFK-BCN requires no less than 6 aircraft to operate the 5 daily roundtrip frequencies.

1 767 comes from DFW-ZRH, and 1 777 has come back online after returning from its lease to Boeing. Anyone know the origins of the rest?

DFWEagle

Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:38 am

Quoting ElmoTheHobo (Reply 34):
I don't know where American is finding the available aircraft for this expansion. Adding ORD-EZE, JFK-STN (2), JFK-MXP and JFK-BCN requires no less than 6 aircraft to operate the 5 daily roundtrip frequencies.

1 767 comes from DFW-ZRH, and 1 777 has come back online after returning from its lease to Boeing. Anyone know the origins of the rest?

Currently, 2 Boeing 767-300 aircraft are out of service at any one time for the installation of the next generation Business Class cabin. These should be finished by then so an additional 2 763’s will be available.
Ryan / HKG

DFWEagle

Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:49 am

On looking at the AA timetable, I think that another part of the answer as to where the 763’s are coming from comes from the MIA-GRU route.
Currently, they are flying 3 daily roundtrips, with all three flights in both directions being overnight. This changes soon so that one roundtrip operates in both directions as a daylight flight. This will allow AA to operate all three trips with 4 aircraft instead of the current 6, releasing 2 wide-body aircraft for these new routes.

As well as these two, there are 2 extra aircraft coming available with the completion of the NGBC upgrades and 1 from DFW-ZRH. This makes a total of 5 additional 763’s available that I can think of.

AA does have a 763 on loan to the winglet manufacturer for testing but I’m not sure when that will be returning, I think it could be quite some time.
Ryan / HKG

fxramper

Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:14 am

I had it at BCN and DUS from JFK, but MXP over DUS will work.

Way to go AA.  bigthumbsup 

Delta4eva

Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:28 am

Quoting Incitatus (Reply 28):
Last winter I checked on how many destinations were being served DAILY by Delta over the winter. I think it was only Gatwick. Not even Paris (or FRA, or AMS, or MAD btw) saw daily JFK service on Delta metal. Delta might end up being known as the preferred summer carrier to Europe in New York, as the number of destinations seeing daily year round service out of JFK has been a single one.

This is completely incorrect. FRA, FCO, AMS, BRU, LGW GRU, CDG all operate daily during the winter. BCN, MAD, DUB operate 6 days out of the week, and the rest of the operate 4-5 days a week.
FLY DELTA JETS

MAH4546

Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:40 am

Quoting ElmoTheHobo (Reply 34):

MIA-GRU currently uses 1x 772 and 2x 763. Effective 31Jan08, it will use 4x 772 since one flight will operate daylight (during December and January, there is a fourth frequency, so it uses 4x 772/2x 763). Also BOS-CDG is still a question mark for next summer. It always is, though, and they usually end up brining it back.

[Edited 2007-08-28 03:41:37]
a.

deltal1011man

Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:50 am

Quoting Incitatus (Reply 15):
I am guessing Delta's plan of becoming the largest international airline at JFK just went down the drain. It has not happened nor it will

not true DL just got the OK to rebuild T2 and T3 (saw it on here you can look for it) so don't count Delta out yet!!

good to hear.....do you know anything about the new Terminals?
New airliners.net web site sucks....
Also the mods want to kill free speech and prevent people from saying things like the above. Better say nothing about awesomeness for this place or else!

AA767400

Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:54 am

So the real question is what other routes will AA announce on the 29th?

In the press release it states "much more to come". Also my friend who works for management said that there is indeed more to come and that one of the routes is something unexpected. Of course I tried to get it out of him but no luck.

Guess we will have to wait until the 29th to see.
"The low fares airline."

Alitalia744

Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:01 am

Quoting AA767400 (Reply 41):
Guess we will have to wait until the 29th to see.

It's going to be an interesting week or two for JFK...

Quoting DeltaL1011man (Reply 40):
good to hear.....do you know anything about the new Terminals?

I'm sure the JFK terminal situation is a priority for DL, but nothing has been announced yet...

Anyway - back to the topic...what are the other anticipated AA routes from JFK?
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

STT757

Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:21 am

Quoting DeltaL1011man (Reply 40):
not true DL just got the OK to rebuild T2 and T3 (saw it on here you can look for it) so don't count Delta out yet!!

Nothing has been announced or presented to the Port Authority Board of Commissioners for approval, DL is in a bad spot because of the financial market's collapse. Raising capital and securing investors for a new JFK Terminal redevelopment at this stage while not impossible has gotten significantly more difficult, the current market means either a further delay of the often proposed Terminal redevelopment (which goes back to the original proposal from '99/'00) or a significant increase in the cost of borrowing and investing which may effect it's scope.

This also applies to aircraft purchases and leases, the financial market has been constricting significantly.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

HPAEAA

Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:33 am

Quoting PRAirbus (Reply 33):
It would have been a nice gesture, an olive branch but corporate America doesn't usually work like that except on very few isolated cases such as CO...wonder why CO employees usually get better ratings than AA personnel re: customer service/courtesy....AA's workforce is demoralized.

AA's unions have rejected the Bonus compensation structure multiple times, rather favoring flat rate pay...

Quoting STT757 (Reply 43):
Nothing has been announced or presented to the Port Authority Board of Commissioners for approval, DL is in a bad spot because of the financial market's collapse. Raising capital and securing investors for a new JFK Terminal redevelopment at this stage while not impossible has gotten significantly more difficult, the current market means either a further delay of the often proposed Terminal redevelopment (which goes back to the original proposal from '99/'00) or a significant increase in the cost of borrowing and investing which may effect it's scope.

This also applies to aircraft purchases and leases, the financial market has been constricting significantly.

given the backlash regarding the delays in NY... and new legislation (untested in court), plus the current credit markets, if I were DL, I would be very cautious about taking on significant debt, even for a new terminal...
Why do I fly???

MAH4546

Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:34 am

Quoting Alitalia744 (Reply 42):

There has been lots of talk about Dusseldorf.
a.

AA767400

Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:15 pm

Quoting Alitalia744 (Reply 42):

The word is 7 new routes to Europe from JFK.

MXP/BCN have been announced already, but that leaves 5 more and these are the rumoured routes:

AMS
SVO
MAD
LIS
NCE

This from a pretty good source who knew before today's announcement.
"The low fares airline."

commavia

Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:46 pm

Quoting AA767400 (Reply 46):
AMS
SVO
MAD
LIS
NCE

Wow, those would be incredible.

Personally, the only one of all of those I really find surprising is NCE - it isn't really a market that, at first glance, seems logical for AA, especially given that it is a fairly thin market and already so handinly dominated by DL/AF. Interesting.

AMS and SVO make a lot of sense: two of the largest Euro markets AA doesn't already fly to, and not to mention two markets that AA was all ready to launch back in 1999 (albeit both from ORD) but never did.

LIS also makes sense because of the huge ethnic/VFR travel market between the northeast and Portugal, and growing U.S. tourism there, and MAD is quite obvious given the soon-to-be ATI between AA and IB.

Several questions this raises:

1) Of these routes, which - if any - will be flown with 757s? I think AA could easily do LIS with a 757, and perhaps AMS too, although AMS might require a bit upgraded premium cabin to compete in what is an at least relatively strong business market. As for NCE -- there is no way a crappy standard FY 757 will do in this premium niche market, nor in the premium (and getting more so) JFK-MAD market. SVO is too long for a 757, anyway, and also would strike me as too premium for a 757.

2) Beyond this, is there any expansion still being discussed? Could we see even more flights (757, 767 or otherwise) from JFK to Europe over the next few years? Or is AA going to do one of their typical wait-and-sees with this and just roll all of these out in SABRE and then watch for a few months to see which, if any, will be canned before they launch?

Thanks.

panamair

Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:21 pm

Quoting AA767400 (Reply 46):
The word is 7 new routes to Europe from JFK.

MXP/BCN have been announced already, but that leaves 5 more and these are the rumoured routes:

AMS
SVO
MAD
LIS
NCE

This from a pretty good source who knew before today's announcement.

Why would they announce this piecemeal, i.e., MXP and BCN on Monday, and then some others on Wednesday?

panamair

Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:59 pm

Quoting Commavia (Reply 47):
Personally, the only one of all of those I really find surprising is NCE - it isn't really a market that, at first glance, seems logical for AA, especially given that it is a fairly thin market and already so handinly dominated by DL/AF. Interesting.

Indeed....it would be very surprising given that NCE is not the traditional business market that AA generally favors...it is strong in premium demand but only in the summer (and it is not from business travelers as much as from weatlthy vacationers, the ones who will desert you come winter). Outside of some business travel for conventions/fairs/festivals, there is not much up-front traffic during the winter....JFK-NCE is one of the transatlantic routes that gets the most severe cuts during the winter (down to 3x weekly during the deep winter period)...and DL has more feed on the JFK side in addition to the AF partnership....

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos