wgw2707

SQ To Put PC In Every Seat On A380

Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:04 am

According to this article in Network World, Singapore Airlines will feature PCs for every passenger on the new A380, as part of the KrisWorld entertainment system. The computers will output to the 1280x768 LCD IFE screens, and will run an unspecified Linux operating system furnished by Red Hat.

The systems will feature a USB port, so you'll be able to edit business documents using the StarOffice suite inside the KrisWorld PC, and save them to a flash drive. On the lame side, the remote controls for the system in economy class will consist of a QWERTY keyboard on the backside of the remote control, but you'll be able to plug your own USB keyboard into the USB port or buy one onboard (and that, btw, would be an interesting item to have to add to your carryon baggage, depending on how bulky they are).

I guess this does provide a fairly compelling reason, however, to consider Singapore Airlines, especially in light of the occasional severe restrictions on carryon baggage, such as the one imposed last summer in the UK.

afterburner

RE: SQ To Put PC In Every Seat On A380

Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:34 am

I think it's the same/similar system as the one they have in their 77Ws. Look at this trip report to see some pictures of the system: SQ 77W New YCL:Truly A Great Way To Fly! (pics!) (by SQ772 Aug 19 2007 in Trip Reports)

Coal

Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:35 am

SQ's IFE on the 77W's already allow you to create, edit, and view all kinds of documents.

Cheers
Coal
Nxt Flts: MI RGN-SIN | SQ SIN-RGN-SIN | CX SIN-HKG-PVG | SQ PVG-SIN

sfoqqaa

Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:23 am

SQ gets it! Can't wait till that bird is in service!  Smile

MaverickM11

Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:28 am

Seems a bit much to me--a lot of capital investment for zero return, at least in Y.
E pur si muove -Galileo

whappeh

Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:35 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 4):
Seems a bit much to me--a lot of capital investment for zero return, at least in Y.

Thats what I was thinking, but they wouldn't do it unless they think it was worth it.
-Travel now, journey infinitely.

captaink

Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:50 am

Quoting Whappeh (Reply 5):
Thats what I was thinking, but they wouldn't do it unless they think it was worth it.

That is why the article had to bring forth the following point.  Big grin

Quote:
Unlike many U.S. airlines, the carrier doesn't view in-flight service as a cost center where cutbacks can be made to reduce losses or boost profits. Instead, Singapore Airlines' latest investments in cabin service are designed to help it stand out from the competition and attract more passengers.
There is something special about planes....

QANTAS077

Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:04 am

Quoting WGW2707 (Thread starter):
I guess this does provide a fairly compelling reason, however, to consider Singapore Airlines, especially in light of the occasional severe restrictions on carryon baggage, such as the one imposed last summer in the UK.

blame the governments...not the carriers!

Vasu

Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:10 am

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 7):

Maybe the poster meant that the need is not necessarily there for someone to bring a laptop onboard... potentially they could just bring a USB stick and read, review, create etc. documents onboard the aircraft via the IFE

GRIVely

Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:11 am

Hmm, wonder how much commercially valuable information might be carried over a system like that? Maybe that is the real profit center.

Just speculating.

GRIV

MaverickM11

Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:33 am

Quoting Whappeh (Reply 5):
but they wouldn't do it unless they think it was worth it.

Airlines have made mistakes in the past. Remember More Room Throughout Coach?

Quoting Captaink (Reply 6):
That is why the article had to bring forth the following point.

I'm a big believer in that IFE in Y generates zero fare premium, and unless you can charge for some of the services, it isn't worth it.
E pur si muove -Galileo

Vasu

Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:30 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 10):

I'm a big believer in that IFE in Y generates zero fare premium, and unless you can charge for some of the services, it isn't worth it.

Well SQ thinks differently  Wink

sfoqqaa

Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:32 am

Airlines have made mistakes in the past. Remember More Room Throughout Coach?

Comparing AA and SQ or any US based Airline to SQ is like comparing apples to oranges. SQ is able to consistently post great profits and generate huge loyalty among frequent travelers as they continue to put emphasis on the customer experience on their flights. Not everyone can pay for J or F fares across the Pacific, but SQ can command a revenue premium for economy by adding strong inflight amenities and of course some of the best customer service in the world.

The US carriers are playing catch up in that category as most (AA, UA, DL) are just now announcing or installing lie flat seats. SQ focuses on the total customer experience from the airport to the flight and they have the reputation and service level to back it up.

I think that works very well for the domestic US airlines as their current economic state provides for limited investment in technology on aircraft. I believe AA anounced a test with inflight wireless access on it's transcon flights for next year. I would expect AA to charge for a service like that. If they want to be competetive to SQ or CX regarding the customer experience on their long haul flights, I would then expect to see something more. I agree that the investment is not worth it when a customer is paying $69 from FLL-PHL unless you can pull in additional revenue. But like "More Room throughout Coach" American Travelers want it all for nothing!

vincewy

Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:39 am

I disagree, what are the odds that a lot of passengers will be switching to SQ even if their fares are a little higher? I guess consumers' mentalities in Asia are a bit different where most of us view bang for the buck, rather than price point alone when choosing products and services. With internet, many of us will be able to do works while aboard, a major time saver.

In the past I've been flying BR and now I'm one of those seriously considering a switch to SQ because of what they did to their 777s.

captaink

Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:59 am

For domestic US flights it probably isn't worth it. As the average competition doesn't offer it there is no harm done in and airline not putting it in. However in the case of SQ, Y fares also helps keep the airline in business, and the airlines have to keep comping up with innovative ideas, to keep them one step ahead of the competition. Therefore I think it is safe to conclude that in the case of SQ, the investment being made in Y class entertainment may be worth it.
There is something special about planes....

MaverickM11

Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:24 pm

Quoting SFOQQAA (Reply 12):
Comparing AA and SQ or any US based Airline to SQ is like comparing apples to oranges.

Nowhere did I compare the two.

Quoting Vincewy (Reply 13):
With internet, many of us will be able to do works while aboard, a major time saver.

Who would need to do work onboard, and presumably at their destination or origin, and not already have their own laptop? I can understand the internet and powerport, but the rest seems silly.

Quoting Vincewy (Reply 13):
I guess consumers' mentalities in Asia are a bit different where most of us view bang for the buck,

I find that hard to believe seeing as Asians on average have less disposable income than Americans or EU, and just about every transpac Asian carrier offers at least basic IFE.
E pur si muove -Galileo

wgw2707

Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:48 pm

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 7):

I'm not blaming anyone, merely pointing out that SQ's investment in this technology could obviate the problems created in situations where passengers are unable to carry their laptop onboard.

afterburner

Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:47 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 15):
I find that hard to believe seeing as Asians on average have less disposable income than Americans or EU, and just about every transpac Asian carrier offers at least basic IFE.

Asians that fly trans-pacific (or trans-atlantic) on carriers like SQ or CX are the ones that are above average (in term of income). They can afford to pay more for some luxury, comfort, and convenience. They don't want to fly on a greyhound bus with wings.

Who would need to do work onboard, and presumably at their destination or origin, and not already have their own laptop? I can understand the internet and powerport, but the rest seems silly.

It may become handy, especially for A.netters, to write a trip report while they're on a holiday trip and leave their laptops at home .  Smile

haggis79

Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:02 pm

well, I beg to differ.... I've flying from Germany to the US quite frequently the recent years and I chose to travel with Skyteam over Star because AF offers a better inflight product in Y than LH does, and within Skyteam I try to get on an AF operated flight whenever possible (as opposed to a DL operated one) for that exact reason... an I guess I'm not the only one...
300 310 319/20/21 332/3 343 AT4/7 143 B19 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 742/4 752/3 763/4 77E/W CR2/7/9 D95 E45/70 F50 F70 100 M11 M90

abba

Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:04 pm

I think that there is also some different strategies in how an established airlines compete with the LCC carriers. In the US frequency seems to be the key word - with a level of service not significantly better than what can be had on a LCC - and the price that is payed by the airline for that model is a number of flights flown for competitive reasons rather than for revenue.

SQ and a few other Asian carriers are WB only airlines. They fly significantly "thinner" schedules with much bigger planes that have very good load factors in general. And what they offer is a significant better service than what the LCC offers.

It seems that the Asian model of SQ et al rather than the US one is the way of the future.

Abba

D328

Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:46 pm

To me stuff like this makes flying that much better...Just knowing you have the option to use it makes its great. If you think its too much just go fly the LCC's. So why does everyone complain when there is nothing offered and now people are complaining because the airline is putting a service in for the pax?

I hope airlines keep putting more in their planes to draw people away from the LCC's.

cx777fan

Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:15 pm

Ummm. I think not. Do a search on PPP (purchasing power parity). You'll find the bulk of the top ten are EU nations. The US is number 3. Hong Kong makes the top 10, Japan and Singapore are not far behind. Per capita GDP figures show similar trends.

Also, if we're talking consumer expectations in international flights, I think you'll find that consumers in wealthy Asian nations would certainly have higher and more sophisticated expecations based on wider international travelling experience (the old statistic of 10% of Americans holding a passport comes to mind). No doubt this has a lot to do with the reason why SQ really is arguably the leader in terms of inflight service and their nearest rivals are most likely from within the region. Even most 2nd tier Asian and EU cariers are far more inovative and effective in delivering a quality service "product" to their passengers than US cariers who are forever playing catch up.

SailorOrion

Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:34 pm

Considering an AVOD system basically is already a PC (many of them running linux), the changes required are only minimal.

SailorOrion

OA260

Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:01 pm

Quoting Haggis79 (Reply 18):
well, I beg to differ.... I've flying from Germany to the US quite frequently the recent years and I chose to travel with Skyteam over Star because AF offers a better inflight product in Y than LH does, and within Skyteam I try to get on an AF operated flight whenever possible (as opposed to a DL operated one) for that exact reason... an I guess I'm not the only one...

If flying in Y I also choose carriers that have PTV's even if the fare was more. Nothing worse then being bored as hell for 8 or 9 hours.

On another note Im just wondering if SQ saves the documents and what about privacy issues. You wouldnt want to edit or compose anything like a business deal or new marketing campaign just in case . Would the info get wiped after each flight???

SQ772

Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:04 pm

Over in my part of the world, consumers are fickle, and whoever offers the most attractive product wins. Asian consumers are increasingly becoming more savvy, and they recognize quality for what it's worth, even if it comes at a higher price. The same goes for me.

5 years ago, having a PTV in Y class was already a big deal. I would do anything to get myself on SQ because they were one of the few carriers offering PTVs in all classes. When SQ started introducing AVOD in all classes in 2002, it changed the way I viewed PTVs; and how I spent my time onboard flights. All these changes impacted who I choose to fly with.

SQ recognises the fact that little amenities onboard does make a difference to most passengers. And they know too that once passengers are hooked onto these new features, it would be difficult for them to revert to something lesser. I for one, am hooked on SQ, and asking me to fly long haul with no PTV would be unthinkable.

And the fact that they (SQ) are continuously upgrading their product, and introducing new gadgets ensures that they are always ahead of the competition and have a loyal following of passengers ever willing to fork out premium fares just to enjoy these products and services.

[Edited 2007-08-27 11:08:14]
There's always a better way to fly...

JoeCanuck

Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:02 pm

That's why SQ is number one. They've learned the lesson that taking care of the passenger, (even back in goat class), earns them loyal, repeat customers.
What the...?

B747-4U3

Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:18 pm

It might not generate higher fares, but it will certainly help you put bums on seats, therefore leading to an overall increase in revenue...and the fact that ever increasing numbers of long-haul carriers are introducing PTVs and AVOD systems testifies to the fact that it is a worthwhile investment. It would be interesting to see what customers think, but I suspect many would rate a good IFE system as more important than being given complementary food inflight.

I happen to believe that better inflight service does generate higher fares on long haul routes. Most peoples' idea of a travelling nightmare is being stuck on a 13hr transpac flight with nothing to do. Therefore they are willing to pay extra to be provided with amenities to relieve that bordom, and on many of the routes I have checked, Singapore Airlines is far from the cheapest carrier on that route.

Coal

Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:39 pm

I've only flown in Economy back to the US from Singapore twice. Once on SQ, once on UA. I will never, ever again fly any other airline than SQ as long as I live in Singapore.

Comparing AA and SQ or any US based Airline to SQ is like comparing apples to oranges. SQ is able to consistently post great profits and generate huge loyalty among frequent travelers as they continue to put emphasis on the customer experience on their flights.

checkmark 

Erm... but do you know the expat population in Asia? What about the tourists? Even the Asians themselves. Remember how big the continent here really is. Just think about the fact that flying SIN-NRT takes nearly twice as long as flying Northeast-US-LHR

Cheers
Coal
Nxt Flts: MI RGN-SIN | SQ SIN-RGN-SIN | CX SIN-HKG-PVG | SQ PVG-SIN

flybyguy

Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:55 pm

Hopefully you pay for business or first out of pocket to make such an arrogant remark. SQ is definitely in the top 5 for a reason.... and a full economy section on transpacific flights probably generates just as much or even more revenue than business and first combined. This is simply a way of keeping their product new and different. If you want airlines that rest on their laurels, consider U.S. carriers which comprise the virtual bottom in terms of international service on all levels. It's that kind of backward thinking that has left them virtually laud-less by the international traveling community.

As a side note, I'm wondering if all that connectivity via USB would make the Linux system susceptible to constant viral attack. It is my understanding that like Apple systems, Linux is particularly less vulnerable to viral attack than Windows systems since most internet virus makers have set their sights on more popular OS's.
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

EDICHC

Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:01 pm

I flew SQ for the first time 2 years ago, since I am hardly able to afford J class fares Y is the only option for me and I have always had to be very price conscious. However when comparing the standard of service and amenities provided by SQ to that offered by competitors on the routes I travel, they have generated to me a strong degree of brand loyalty to SQ and as a result have recieved a fair degree of repeat custom from me, even when they have not necessarily been the cheapest option.

You keep your customers happy they will keep coming back. Also a satisfied customer is a great form of free advertising.
A300/319/320/346 ATR72 B722/732/3/4/5/6/8/742/4/752/762/3/772/3 BAC111 BAe146 C172 DHC1/6/8 HS121 MD80 PA28

Nimish

Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:04 pm

Quoting SailorOrion (Reply 22):
Considering an AVOD system basically is already a PC (many of them running linux), the changes required are only minimal.

Exactly - almost all IFE systems have a Linux PC that can run different software on it. StarOffice is a stable software on Linux. The main change that SQ had to do was to add the 36 QWERTY keyboard to the back of the IFE controller, and add something to replace a mouse. Now the cost to add a keyboard/mouse to the existing controller must be minimal - maybe a couple of dollars at most...
Latest Trip Report - GoAir BLR-BOM-BLR

EDICHC

Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:42 pm

Quoting SQ772 (Reply 24):
And the fact that they (SQ) are continuously upgrading their product, and introducing new gadgets ensures that they are always ahead of the competition and have a loyal following of passengers ever willing to fork out premium fares just to enjoy these products and services.

In all fairness to SQ I would not even say that you are talking about premium fares, often their fares (on the two main routes I travel anyway) are either the cheapest or only $20-30 more expensive than the cheapest competition.

SQ rules!
A300/319/320/346 ATR72 B722/732/3/4/5/6/8/742/4/752/762/3/772/3 BAC111 BAe146 C172 DHC1/6/8 HS121 MD80 PA28

col

Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:04 pm

Have used the system on the 77W, in economy, and it is very good, especially when the battery runs down on your laptop. The keyboard on the handset is ok when you get used to it, but I was just doing some powerpoint work.

From a personal point of view I always try to fly SQ where possible. International on US Carriers doesn't matter who you fly, it is going to be a long drawn out flight, on SQ it is much more relaxing and efficient. I think I would go with SQ strategy and profits rather than our own International carriers.

QantasAirways

Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:05 pm

I agree with SQ always looking after the customer.. My first flight ever was with SQ and all the airlines I flew afterwards seemed lesser. In any case, I'll always go out of my way to fly SQ, even when there are other direct alternatives.
Spirit of Australia

EDICHC

Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:34 pm

Quoting QantasAirways (Reply 33):
I agree with SQ always looking after the customer..

Quoting QantasAirways (Reply 33):
I'll always go out of my way to fly SQ, even when there are other direct alternatives.

checkmark 

Exactly the point I was making earlier. SQ have a way of making you feel valued as a customer, even if you are flying on a 'lowest form of life' ticket.

georgiaame

Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:35 pm

If Y delivers so little profit to the airlines, why do the builders and the airlines themselves insist on putting so many Y class seats in all of their aircraft?

Sorry guys, but no deal. Y generates a significant level of income. J/F may produce dramatically more, but if Y was a consistent money loser, nothing would be flying, nor would there be frequent discounts on those Y fares to begin with.

As I am fond of saying, let the market decide. Obviously the market has decided, and it is a very prudent move financially to put those computers in the Y seats.
"Trust, but verify!" An old Russian proverb, quoted often by a modern American hero

kalvado

Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:41 pm

Why everyone is so sure that PC in a seatback is a major expense compared to regular IFE? These days technology is cheap - and we're not talking about topmost PC configurations.
Screen is likely the most expensive part of the system, and that's needed for any IFE; minimum configuration PC is probably in a $200-300 range, with small flash "hard drive" and low-power CPU.. That would work just fine for editing and movies, as well as some mid-end games.. plus virtually unlimited opportunity for software upgrades.
Probably loaded proprietary IFE would be heavier, and I doubt it would be much cheaper.

tdscanuck

Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:50 pm

Quoting GeorgiaAME (Reply 35):

If Y delivers so little profit to the airlines, why do the builders and the airlines themselves insist on putting so many Y class seats in all of their aircraft?

MaverickM11 asserted that the IFE has zero fare premium, not Y class as a whole.

Y class does make money, but not nearly as much (per seat) as J/F.

You need all classes on most routes because an airplane big enough to make the trip is too big to fill with J/F passengers. If you shrink down to just your premium passengers you end up being the size of a biz-jet and your per seat costs go through the ceiling (above what even a J/F passenger wants to pay). On very high density routes, you can do away with Y class and do just fine (MaxJet, EOS, SilverJet, etc.)

Tom.

AlexPorter

Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:51 pm

Quoting WGW2707 (Thread starter):
On the lame side, the remote controls for the system in economy class will consist of a QWERTY keyboard on the backside of the remote control, but you'll be able to plug your own USB keyboard into the USB port or buy one onboard (and that, btw, would be an interesting item to have to add to your carryon baggage, depending on how bulky they are).

You can get neat USB-compatible flat keyboard pads that roll-up. I've only seen them once or twice, but they are highly portable and yet about the size of a laptop keyboard. The only issue if you're modifying documents would be if there's only one USB port, but of course I'd imagine that you can plug in your flash drive, open up the file, then swap out the flash drive for the keyboard, type, and swap back to the flash drive to save it.
Last Flight: SCX701 MSP-PHX B738 8Jan2008

MaverickM11

Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:19 pm

Quoting Haggis79 (Reply 18):
I've flying from Germany to the US quite frequently the recent years and I chose to travel with Skyteam over Star because AF offers a better inflight product in Y than LH does,

And yet LH is one of the most profitable airlines in the world Smile

Quoting CX777Fan (Reply 21):
You'll find the bulk of the top ten are EU nations. The US is number 3.

Is that not exactly what I said?

Over in my part of the world, consumers are fickle, and whoever offers the most attractive product wins

But UA and NW still pack them in with their crap Y product...

Quoting B747-4U3 (Reply 26):
It would be interesting to see what customers think, but I suspect many would rate a good IFE system as more important than being given complementary food inflight.

That's probably true, but when it comes to putting their money where their mouth is, they'll almost always go for the cheapest fare, all other things being equal.

Quoting Flybyguy (Reply 28):
Hopefully you pay for business or first out of pocket to make such an arrogant remark.

Arrogant?? Cool it. No one is trying to take away your beloved PTV.

Quoting Flybyguy (Reply 28):
If you want airlines that rest on their laurels, consider U.S. carriers which comprise the virtual bottom in terms of international service on all levels

Again, US carriers have remained incredibly full across the Pacific for years.

Quoting GeorgiaAME (Reply 35):

You might want to think about that one again Wink
E pur si muove -Galileo

YULWinterSkies

Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:51 pm

a great Y product allows them to sell more easily the last (=expensive) Y seats. When you go cheapest, maybe IFE does not matter, but when you have no choice and have to buy an expensive flight, why not going for the best service if fares are within the same range? $$$ to be made IMO. And more important than short-term $$$, a long-term customer satisfaction and reputation, what the NAm carriers lack at the moment (funny sometimes to hear non aviation fans debating over whichever among AA, NW, AC and else is poorest!)
When I doubt... go running!

abba

Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:59 pm

Quoting Tdscanuck (Reply 37):
Y class does make money, but not nearly as much (per seat) as J/F

per seat - well - they should as a J/F seats take up much more space than Y seats. At the same time there is much more investment in J/F seats in terms of lounges and check-in facilities for J/F seats that also come in to play. So if you look at ROI of J/F seats compared to Y and make sure that everything is included (inclusive of empty seats needed to give more travel flex) I doubt that J/F makes much more than Y. Competition should ensure that....

Abba

corey07850

Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:07 am

Personally I wouldn't use it because I wouldn't want the person next to me looking at the documents I was working on. With a laptop you can at least turn the screen away a little or add a privacy filter to the LCD. If I've got work work to do on a plane I'm going to have my laptop with me anyway and not worry about having to use the computer on the IFE.

SQ772

Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:47 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 39):
Over in my part of the world, consumers are fickle, and whoever offers the most attractive product wins

But UA and NW still pack them in with their crap Y product...

Yes I agree that UA and NW packs them in in their, as you rightly said, crap product... but at what price? If UA or NW offered tickets at the same price as SQ, the choice is obvious which one I'd choose. A full Y says nothing about how profitable that particular flight is for the airline... and the fact that SQ is consistently very profitable, while UA and NW are... well, you go figure the math. Take a look at the passenger profiles on SQ's Y class flight vs NW/UA out of Singapore and you'll be able to tell alot. The former caters predominantly to business travellers (who are only entitled to Y) while the latter caters generally to students on a shoe-string budget, tourists etc holding heavily discounted tickets... where the yield per seat is significantly lower. I must add that it may not always be the case that passengers pay less on UA/NW, but in general, yes... esp on the SIN-NRT-USA routes.

Quoting EDICHC (Reply 31):
In all fairness to SQ I would not even say that you are talking about premium fares, often their fares (on the two main routes I travel anyway) are either the cheapest or only $20-30 more expensive than the cheapest competition.

Well, I'm actually speaking from the perspective of a Singaporean... where in Singapore, SQ is ALWAYS much more expensive than its competitors on a significant number of routes.
There's always a better way to fly...

BoeingBoy

Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:55 am

Quoting Captaink (Reply 6):
That is why the article had to bring forth the following point.

Quote:
Unlike many U.S. airlines, the carrier doesn't view in-flight service as a cost center where cutbacks can be made to reduce losses or boost profits. Instead, Singapore Airlines' latest investments in cabin service are designed to help it stand out from the competition and attract more passengers.

Baloney - If it acts like a cost center and quacks like a cost center, its a COST CENTER
10% is the best we can do

col

Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:28 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 39):
Again, US carriers have remained incredibly full across the Pacific for years.

Yep, the overrun when SQ and the rest are full, then you are forced onto UA and NW - Sorry couldn't resist!

You are right that NW and UA are busy, even though their 744's have got to be the worst transports over the Pacific. Not flown the NW 330's, but understand they are much better, the UA 777's are very tired. I guess they are full due to frequent flyers and people wanting a US carrier, rather than a (tongue in cheek) third world carrier as it was once put to me, I put up with third world everytime thank you very much!

max999

Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:32 am

Quoting BoeingBoy (Reply 44):
Baloney - If it acts like a cost center and quacks like a cost center, its a COST CENTER

BoeingBoy, what the article is referring to is a cultural attitude of the US airlines to view cabin service as a cost center. On the other hand, for SQ, anything that's in the flight cabin is considered to be revenue generating. If they can improve the IFE or catering, then they believe they can increase revenue.

I think a more traditional definition of a cost center would be something like the IT department of any company.
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

lesismore

Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:44 am

Comparing AA and SQ or any US based Airline to SQ is like comparing apples to oranges.

Yes, indeed. It is obvious that the SQ in-flight product is superior to any US-based airline, but remember this, all of SQ flights are international. What would a SQ domestic operation be like? The US airlines have to balance all of their domestic operations with their international operations. Until the US airlines run an international-only airline, it will always be comparing apples to oranges.
I'm a success today because I had a friend who believed in me and I didn't have the heart to let him down. - Abe Lincoln

Viscount724

Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:04 am

Quoting Coal (Reply 27):
Just think about the fact that flying SIN-NRT takes nearly twice as long as flying Northeast-US-LHR

Twice as long??? SIN-NRT is about 7 hours in each direction, not much different than JFK-LHR, at least westbound against usual winds. Eastbound can be an hour or so faster, but SIN-NRT certainly doesn't take twice as long. SIN-NRT is actually 110 nm shorter than JFK-LHR (2889 nm vs. 2999 nm.)

col

Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:32 am

Quoting Lesismore (Reply 47):
Yes, indeed. It is obvious that the SQ in-flight product is superior to any US-based airline, but remember this, all of SQ flights are international. What would a SQ domestic operation be like? The US airlines have to balance all of their domestic operations with their international operations. Until the US airlines run an international-only airline, it will always be comparing apples to oranges.

I think people are actually only comparing the US International product versus SQ. SQ does not have the requirement for a domestic airline, but their Silkair product could be a good comparison, just like flying US, AA, UA, NW, DL, but with service!!!