N62NA
Topic Author

Pictures From Inside MIA's New South Terminal

Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:40 pm

Spotted this in the Miami Herald today. Some very interesting pictures of the inside and outside of the new South Terminal:

http://www.miamiherald.com/business/story/214727.html

MKENut

RE: Pictures From Inside MIA's New South Terminal

Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:27 am

Nice addition! Whatever happened to the talk of a second airport in Miami? I remember reading about it 15 years ago.

Vasu

Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:30 am

Reminds me of DXB or HEL... I like it!

peteinmiami

Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:46 am

Quoting MKENut (Reply 1):
Nice addition! Whatever happened to the talk of a second airport in Miami? I remember reading about it 15 years ago.

The possibility of building a new airport for Miami was abandoned several years ago when it was impossible to find a feasible site that will please all the involved parts, meaning FAA, government, citizen and ecologist groups. The city of Miami is located between 2 national parks, The Everglades and the Biscayne Bay Parks, so there was not available land to build a new airport without impacting the ecosystem on those parks. That is why it was decided around 10 years ago to improve the existing facilities of MIA instead of building a new airport. A new runway 08/260 was added , a new control tower was built South Terminal is opening this weekend, North Terminal is under construction all the road system getting to the airport is going thru a major renovation, etc etc. Basically a new airport is being built on top of the existing one.

peteinmiami

Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:50 am

See link below to the Miami Aviation Department were the entire Airport MASTER plan is expalined.

http://www.miami-airport.com/html/airport_master_plan.html

tonytifao

Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:20 am

Which airlines will be moving in that new terminal?

787EWR

Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:30 am

Quoting Tonytifao (Reply 5):
Which airlines will be moving in that new terminal?

This is from the article that PeteinMiami provided:

The New South Terminal , with 27 gates and an adjoining cruise ship bus depot, a $1.1 billon dollar facility, starts operations in 2007. North Terminal, a $2.85 billion one mile long facility, has been partially completed and is in use by American Airlines and its “ Oneworld” alliance partners, and construction on the remainder of this 48 gate facility continues. Additional North Terminal gates will be phased-in operation periodically as construction is completed while the entire project progresses towards substantial completion in 2011.

THis is from Wikipedia:
Concourse J is a new concourse currently under construction and expected to open in August 2007 under Miami International Airport's South Terminal Renovation Project. [4] The Concourse was designed by Carlos Zapata of Studio Carlos Zapata in New York, with M.G.E., one of the largest Hispanic owned architecture firms in Florida, as the architect of record; the Concourse will hold Star Alliance and SkyTeam Members. Together with Concourses G and H, this area will be called the "South Terminal". It will be the only pier at the airport able to accept the new Airbus A380 and will introduce a third customs and immigration facility at the airport, supplementing the ones at Concourses B and E; with international SkyTeam and Star Alliance members moving to this new concourses, it is expected that the new facilities will ease overcrowding that has plagued the concourse E immigration facilities since new US entry laws came into effect.

Once the North and South Terminals are completed, all airlines not affiliated with either the Star Alliance, SkyTeam Alliance (South Terminal), or Oneworld (North Terminal) will be housed at the remaining Concourses E and F, this implementation has already begun at MIA with airlines formerly housed at Concourse A but not part of Oneworld alliance having been moved to Concourses E and F.

MKENut

Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:07 am

Quoting Peteinmiami (Reply 3):

Thanks for the update. I moved out of South Florida over ten years ago and a new airport was a big controversy at the time. It is good they decided to improve the existing airport instead of taking more wetlands. Did they expand the highways around the airport? It was daily gridlock when I lived there.

N62NA
Topic Author

Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:27 am

Quoting MKENut (Reply 7):
Did they expand the highways around the airport? It was daily gridlock when I lived there.

The Palmetto and the Dolphin expressways are still pretty much gridlocked during rush hours...

ualcsr

Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:41 am

Quoting N62NA (Reply 8):
The Palmetto and the Dolphin expressways are still pretty much gridlocked during rush hours...

No to mention LeJeune which is a perpetual traffic jam.

Quoting MKENut (Reply 7):
Did they expand the highways around the airport? It was daily gridlock when I lived there.

There's lots of construction east of the airport, although I'm not sure how much of it will involve roads. I believe the plan also calls for all rental car agencies to be housed in one building east of the airport and just south of where the old Denny's was. Not 100% sure about this, but maybe someone can confirm.

MAH4546

Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:00 am

Quoting Ualcsr (Reply 9):
There's lots of construction east of the airport, although I'm not sure how much of it will involve roads. I believe the plan also calls for all rental car agencies to be housed in one building east of the airport and just south of where the old Denny's was. Not 100% sure about this, but maybe someone can confirm.

Yes, it does, and this facility has already started construction.
a.

hiflyer

Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:13 am

Quoting Ualcsr (Reply 9):
all rental car agencies to be housed in one building east of the airport

The Intermodal Center....original intent was all bus, train, hotel and other courtesy vans to this point with only private cars and taxiis to the terminal. Airlines declined to put checkin facilities there...cruise ship companies did not want to use it either. Funding came from the state on this.

Nicknamed the MIC

http://www.micdot.com/

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos