flyf15

New LH Service To The Western USA

Wed Aug 16, 2000 2:29 pm

Whats the status of the new Lufthansa service to the western US? Have they narrowed down the cities or chosen an announcement date? What do you believe will be the announced service and with what aircraft?

RE: New LH Service To The Western USA

Wed Aug 16, 2000 10:16 pm

Haven't heard anything new but I guess they'll start service to Denver with an A340-200.

B737-700

Trvlr

Thu Aug 17, 2000 1:05 am

I guess that you saw the press release that said that the front-runners were Denver or Phoenix. I am pretty sure it said that a formal announcement of what city (cities) will be chosen will come 6-8 weeks after the aforementioned press release. So that leaves us with about a month until we can expect anymore info. I hope both cities are chosen, but if only one is chosen I bet that one will be Denver

Aaron G.

flyf15

Thu Aug 17, 2000 6:17 am

What is this news release, Aaron?

hisham

Thu Aug 17, 2000 6:49 am

I hope it will be Denver. I live near Denver and I fly home (Lebanon) once or twice a year. Two weeks ago I made the trip with Lufthansa (BEY-FRA-ORD-DEN). It took 30 hours! With the Denver service, I can make it with half the time.

Hisham.

Trvlr

To Flyf15

Thu Aug 17, 2000 9:09 am

From the Lufthansa website:

Lufthansa News

Lufthansa Eyes Gateways in Western U.S. 07/27/00
Denver and Phoenix lead contenders

New York, July 27, 2000 - Denver and Phoenix are the frontrunners in a selection process on the part of Lufthansa German Airlines which could wind up providing new cities with daily non-stop service to Frankfurt, Germany, by early next year. According to Karl-Ulrich Garnadt, director of Network Management, the airline has considered a number of gateways in the western U.S., including San Diego, Seattle and Portland.

"Naturally, our decision will be based on a number of factors," noted Garnadt. "In addition to availability of aircraft, potential feed and connectivity, proven demand and the potential for further market growth are all important.

"Finally, operating costs and the support which business and government in a given municipality can offer us are crucial to our final decision," added Garnadt.

Lufthansa—"the global airline from Germany"—is nearing the final stages of a selection process which began over a year ago. Top network and strategic planning officials of the airline soon will visit both cities to receive comprehensive proposals from airports and municipalities. A decision in favor of one, both or none of the "finalists" could come as early as six to eight weeks later.

Under this timetable, daily, non-stop service to Frankfurt would begin at the end of March 2001. Passenger and cargo service would likely be provided by the Airbus A340 aircraft—the airline’s most modern equipment.

From Frankfurt, Lufthansa provides one of the most extensive global networks of any major airline, flying to more than 300 cities in nearly 100 countries. According to most recent International Air Transport Association (IATA) figures, Lufthansa carries more passengers worldwide than any European airline.

# # #

Aaron G.

Udo

RE: To Flyf15

Thu Aug 17, 2000 9:21 am

If they fly to DEN or PHX or whatever, I would always take a carrier that provides personal TVs in Economy. I would even stop three or four times on the way to DEN rather than flying LH...

Regards
Udo
Me & You & a Plane Named Blue...

ZRH

Question To Udo

Thu Aug 17, 2000 9:46 am

Does LH not have PTV's in economy in their new aircrafts? SR has them in all A 330 and will have them in the new A 340-600. They even had it in their MD 11 but had to take it out because one does not know if wires of the IFE caused the crash of SR 111.

Udo

Answer To ZRH

Thu Aug 17, 2000 9:56 am

Of course LH does not offer them. I asked them several times why and the reply was always the same: 'Those systems are very sensitive and we don't want to offer anything that does not work most of the time...'
Good argument, eh? I'm wondering how those systems work in First and Business...
That's typical for them, the Economy passenger is more than unimportant for them...

I think LH will be the only airline not offering PTVs in Economy on the new A340-600s...

Don't compare them to Swissair...that is a world class airline...LH is just average...

Regards
Udo
Me & You & a Plane Named Blue...

johnboy

Thu Aug 17, 2000 10:00 am

I was in PHX the week that LH officials were meeting with city officials. There was a huge banner in Terminal 4 ticketing area, right across from British Airways ticketing desk, stating "Lufthansa Announces Phoenix - Frankfurt Nonstop Service. (Possibly)"

I say, why not both? Both cities are great candidates for nonstop flights to Germany. Both are gateways for scenic tourist areas.

Trvlr

Thu Aug 17, 2000 2:18 pm

I would love to see Lufthansa come to Phoenix, but I am just not that sure that it would be a good bet without codeshares to other cities. Denver already has a huge amount of feed from United. I only think a Phoenix flight would work if it was continued to another city.
However, if Lufthansa really wants to expand in the western United States, they will most likely need to serve a city besides Denver. If they only decide to serve Denver that may be good for a while, since it is in a central location in relation to most the other cities (in that no one living in the W. USA would have to travel in the opposite direction of where Germany is to get to Denver). But when you get separate United flights about half-full with codeshare passengers coming from Seattle, Portland, San Diego, Phoenix, and Las Vegas, then an A340 or even 744 may get a little overcrowded. If LH is truely serious about this, then they should open up a daily service to Denver, a daily service to Phoenix, continuing on to San Diego or Las Vegas, and a thrice- or four times weekly service to Seattle, upgrading to daily if the need arises.

Aaron G.

ZRH

RE: Answer To ZRH

Thu Aug 17, 2000 5:38 pm

Udo: I don't understand the argument of LH. I travelled a least a dozen times on a SR A330 and the PTV in economy and business ALWAYS worked without any problems.

VASI

Thu Aug 17, 2000 7:34 pm

I think Denver will be chosen, because Phoenix will be served by it´s charter subsidiary Condor with 767-300 in the near future.

Regards
Dave

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos