torch23

Status Of Seating Restrictions Into DCA

Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:12 am

Didn't the FAA/DHS lift the restriction that required passengers to stay in their seats for the final 30 minutes of flights into DCA? I ask because twice now in the last month (on NW and Spirit) the pilot has come on and told everyone to remain in their seats due to restrictions on flights into DCA. Did they put the restriction back on, or did my pilots just not get the memo?

COERJ145

RE: Status Of Seating Restrictions Into DCA

Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:36 am

Quoting Torch23 (Thread starter):
Didn't the FAA/DHS lift the restriction that required passengers to stay in their seats for the final 30 minutes of flights into DCA? I ask because twice now in the last month (on NW and Spirit) the pilot has come on and told everyone to remain in their seats due to restrictions on flights into DCA. Did they put the restriction back on, or did my pilots just not get the memo?

AFAIK the restriction was lifted. I flew into DCA on AmEagle back in november, no announcement was made to remain in your seats 30 minutes prior.

flymia

Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:55 am

I flew MIA-DCA in june and there were no restrictions into DCA. I will be flying in and out of DCA alot soon so be interesting to see if any pilots did not get the memo.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

ASAFA

Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:42 am

They got the memo. I can assure you that on your specific flights the pilots were well aware of the current procedures into and out of DCA.

The past requirement that passengers stay seated 30 minutes prior to landing had the stipulation that if someone stood up the aircraft would divert.

What was changed is that the aircraft is no longer required to divert, however the pilots still have every right to ask you to remain seated if they choose, and it is now up to each individual crew to decide if they wish to enforce it.

N353SK

Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:45 am

I feel that if the crew wishes to enforce this rule they are more than welcome to do so. It's such a simple measure that adds a little peace of mind when flying into such a sensitive location. Just give me ample warning so I can use the lav!

pilottim747

Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:53 am

The TSA Security Directive requiring passengers to remain seated for the last 30 minutes of flights in DCA was suspended in July 2005.

TSA Suspends 30-Minute Rule for Reagan National Airport - TSA (July 14, 2005)
Aviation Photographers & Enthusiasts--Coordinate your life.

torch23

Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:40 am

Thank you, ASAFA. Good to know for future flights.

bond007

Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:51 am

Quoting ASAFA (Reply 3):
however the pilots still have every right to ask you to remain seated if they choose, and it is now up to each individual crew to decide if they wish to enforce it.

Which is fairly redundant, since on most of the flights, the seatbelt sign is on the last 30 minutes anyway right  Smile

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

iaddca

Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:52 am

This had to be one of the silliest, cover-your-behind rules implemented by the TSA. 30 minutes out and you're still over the Robbinsville VOR near Trenton, RDU, or PIT. Great places, but not particularly vulnerable to terrorism. And anyone who wishes to stand during the last few minutes of the River Visual approach to RWY 19 is asking to be knocked around the plane anyway.

I just don't see Al Qaeda panicking because a NW pilot makes a 5 year old wet himself at the top of a descent over Southern Virginia.

boeing743

Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:07 am

The reason for stop the 30 mins remained seats is due to that F/As not have enought time to do drink service for flight that is little over hour long. Also most of people currently know what to expect when flying into and out of DCA. Only one thing still remain same is sharp right taking off from north over the bridge.

bond007

Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:38 am

Quoting Boeing743 (Reply 9):
The reason for stop the 30 mins remained seats is due to that F/As not have enought time to do drink service for flight that is little over hour long.

It never stopped the F/As doing drink service did it?

...and I'm sure the TSA changed this rule because of drink service right???

Only one thing still remain same is sharp right taking off from north over the bridge.

Do you mean a sharp LEFT turn when taking off TO the North?

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

boeing743

Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:01 am

Yes, I mean Left turn.

ASAFA

Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:29 pm

The reason for stop the 30 mins remained seats is due to that F/As not have enought time to do drink service for flight that is little over hour long.

HAHA that's right, they changed the rule so the FA's would have time to do drink service!  Yeah sure

Sorry, try again.

Analog

Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:38 pm

Quoting N353SK (Reply 4):
I feel that if the crew wishes to enforce this rule they are more than welcome to do so. It's such a simple measure that adds a little peace of mind when flying into such a sensitive location. Just give me ample warning so I can use the lav!

How does pilots' enforcing such a rule give you peace of mind? If banning standing up during the last 30 minutes into DCA (but not over IAD & BWI?) makes things more secure, why not extend the argument to banning standing up while within 30 minutes of populated areas (i.e. most land)? The warning to use the lav would be made before boarding.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos