UAEflyer
Topic Author

When Will UK Queen & Gov Get Widebody Jet

Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:39 am

Many reports said that as soon as Mr. Brown takeover he will order a widebody for Queen personal use and for his duty abroad (which is quite alot).
Now Mr. Brown is heading the government and i think nowadays he need a private jet where he can run the government while he is travelling. Even the Queen should travel in style, she is a head of state for more than independent 15 countries.
What if the USA decided to give a B777 or B787 or France giving A330 or A340 as a gift for the UK? would they rejected?
How much it is costing the UK government for the overseas travels?

Furthermore, what do you think personally the UK government should have (Aircraft type & Livery).

Vasu

RE: When Will UK Queen & Gov Get Widebody Jet

Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:52 am

Every time this is spoken of, the UK media goes mad, causing the tree-huggers to go mad...

Will it happen soon? I hope so, it'd be nice...

captainsimon

Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:57 am

NO way should my money as a tax payer be used to fund the purchase of private jets, not until the state of out NHS and education is sorted out.
Our government and Queen have no need for a private plane, the RAF use a 146 to ferry the Queen on many visits.

We have a national airline with frequent flight all over the world for our government and we have Easyjet and Ryanair for the European flights.

UAEflyer
Topic Author

Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:26 am

Quoting Captainsimon (Reply 2):
NO way should my money as a tax payer be used to fund the purchase of private jets, not until the state of out NHS and education is sorted out.
Our government and Queen have no need for a private plane, the RAF use a 146 to ferry the Queen on many visits.

We have a national airline with frequent flight all over the world for our government and we have Easyjet and Ryanair for the European flights.

What is the difference between your Queen and Emperor of Japan, why he is flying on a Private 747 and yours only 146 ?
don't you think a respected person like her should have at least A330/B777. That will give more dignity to the Kingdom

kq787

Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:39 am

Quoting UAEflyer (Reply 3):
What is the difference between your Queen and Emperor of Japan, why he is flying on a Private 747 and yours only 146 ?

the empeoror of japan does not have a private jet. the 747 that he uses on foreign trips is gov't-owned and also used by other high ranking japanese officials. the wealth of the royals was confiscated after WW2

UAEflyer
Topic Author

Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:47 am

Quoting Kq787 (Reply 4):
the empeoror of japan does not have a private jet. the 747 that he uses on foreign trips is gov't-owned and also used by other high ranking japanese officials. the wealth of the royals was confiscated after WW2

The Queen do not own the palace she is living in, do you if an aircraft purchased will be for her personal belonging, sure no.
The point is that all G8 have their own aircrafts, but why not the UK.

JRadier

Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:53 am

Quoting UAEflyer (Reply 5):
The point is that all G8 have their own aircrafts, but why not the UK.

The RAF does operate BAe 146's, amongst others, for the government and royals. If they need a long haul aircraft, they charter one from BA. Why would they need a larger aircraft that sits around most of the time?
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and ther

UAEflyer
Topic Author

Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:55 am

Quoting JRadier (Reply 6):
The RAF does operate BAe 146's, amongst others, for the government and royals. If they need a long haul aircraft, they charter one from BA. Why would they need a larger aircraft that sits around most of the time?

It is a prestigious thing, the Kingdom that the sun never sets in have no widebody !!

Stitch

Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:01 am

Quoting UAEflyer (Reply 7):
It is a prestigious thing, the Kingdom that the sun never sets in have no widebody !!

Perhaps the subjects of the British Crown are comfortable enough with their stature in both current and historical context that they do not feel they need a dedicated large plane to ferry their respective Head of State and Head of Government around the world?

Though maybe they do owe the royals something for losing the HMY Britannia. Big grin

[Edited 2007-08-28 22:03:24]

rdwootty

Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:02 am

There is no need for anyone to have a Private Jet as it should always be used by all. I am sure the Queen is very happy in an old aircraft especially as it has 4 engines!! For long haul flights we only need to use on the the BA aircraft and that is fine . Flagwaving is not really necessary for us in the UK and anyway Gordon Brown would not let it be spent

nighthawk

Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:18 am

Quoting UAEflyer (Thread starter):
Many reports said that as soon as Mr. Brown takeover he will order a widebody for Queen personal use and for his duty abroad (which is quite alot).

PM to get two 'Blair Force Ones'
Tuesday, 20 June 2006

Prime Minister Tony Blair and the Queen are to get two dedicated planes to use on official trips, the BBC has learned.

One is likely to be a long-haul plane with 70 seats, while a 15-seater jet will be ordered for shorter flights, BBC correspondent James Hardy says.

Since 1944 US presidents have had their own plane for presidential travel.

Although the Queen will have first call on the aircraft, they are already being dubbed "Blair Force Ones". The Lib Dems and Tories have criticised the plan.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/5098126.stm

Both aircraft due at the end of this year.

Humberside

Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:36 am

or France giving A330 or A340 as a gift for the UK?

Like the French would ever the give the UK anything   

Furthermore, what do you think personally the UK government should have (Aircraft type & Livery).

Aircraft type - the best value for money. Airbus, Tupelov, Boeing, whoever I dont see that it should matter as long as it is safe and reliable

Livery - the cheapest, but with a union jack on

[Edited 2007-08-28 22:47:17]
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

OA260

Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:50 am

They should get a A330 for use by both the Government and HM the Queen. Also this jet should be used in airlifts of British nationals abroad if need be such as in the case of Tsunami/Bali bombings/Lebanon war etc.... that way it is the property of the people and is used for the countries needs as a whole.

Humberside

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:03 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 12):
They should get a A330 for use by both the Government and HM the Queen.

A330 would have the advantage of commonality with the AirTanker fleet, which will also be used for troop flights, and the Falkland Island scheduled service. So an head of state A330 could easily be integrated with this fleet when not needed for the Queen or Prime Minister. And of course it could be used for the airlifts you suggested
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

LTU932

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:09 am

NO way should my money as a tax payer be used to fund the purchase of private jets

You're forgetting one thing: The Queen also pays taxes, and she does that voluntarily, so if they were to buy private jets for a Royal VIP fleet, she would actually be contributing to the purchase with the taxes she pays.  Wink

Door5Right

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:13 am

Despite my passion for aviation I do believe I would rather see a replacement for the much missed Royal Yacht, Britannia before a new dedicated Government/Royal widebody.

I suspect Her Majesty would too!
My soul is in the sky...

Curiousflyer

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:41 am

The British seem to have lived very well so far without a widebody for heads of State, they probably still do not need one.

Rather than saying that they should have one like other G8 members for prestige reasons, I believe it rather proves that those other G8 members could stop wasting their taxpayers' money on private jet fleets. Chartering a private aircraft when needed is prestigious enough.

Private jets belong to wealthy dictatures...

Mir

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:45 am

Quoting Stitch (Reply 8):
Perhaps the subjects of the British Crown are comfortable enough with their stature in both current and historical context that they do not feel they need a dedicated large plane to ferry their respective Head of State and Head of Government around the world?

Sure. I believe Sarkozy went to see Bush in Maine using a Falcon 900. That's still travelling in style, and much more efficient than a huge 747 for only a few people.

The Queen is prestigious because of who she is, not what she has.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

dl767captain

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:48 am

I think it is a good idea, it seems stupid for the queen to fly on a British Airways flight, She's the freaking queen!!! i think she deserves her own plane!!

carduelis

Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:02 am

Quoting DL767captain (Reply 18):
She's the freaking queen!!!

Not quite sure what you mean with your wild expression. She is The Queen!
Per Ardua ad Astra! ........ Honi Soit Qui Mal y Pense!

diesel1

Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:13 am

What if the USA decided to give a B777 or B787 or France giving A330 or A340 as a gift for the UK?

Wouldn't that be generous... Big grin Why would France want to give the UK an A330/A340 anyway? The French Govt. is neither the owner, not even the major shareholder in EADS.

So you're saying an Irish airline should be used by the UK Royal family / Government?  smirk 
(In fact use of non British airlines on official business isn't that unusual...)

Quoting JRadier (Reply 6):
Why would they need a larger aircraft that sits around most of the time?

Spot on.  thumbsup  It's simply not needed.

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 10):

So what's due then?

(And finally, through the auspices of the RAF the Queen / Govt., have had widebody jets for sometime now...)
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ryan Hemmings

I don't like signatures...

swiftski

Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:18 am

When Will UK Queen & Gov Get Widebody Jet 

3rd November 2007.

It will be an ex NW DC-9.

dl767captain

Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:34 am

Quoting DL767captain (Reply 18):
Not quite sure what you mean with your wild expression. She is The Queen!

exactly, what kind of queen doesn't have her own plane, she should definitely have her own

LTU932

Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:41 am

Quoting DL767captain (Reply 22):
exactly, what kind of queen doesn't have her own plane, she should definitely have her own

Maybe, after all this time she chose not have Parliament waste taxpayer's money (which includes the Queen's money, as I said, she DOES pay taxes and chose to do so voluntarily) on new aircraft just for a VIP fleet.

LeonB1985

Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:48 am

That will give more dignity to the Kingdom

So does that mean the more aircraft a government operates, the more dignity the country has? Some might regard it incredibly wasteful, distasteful, etc. that many countries in the Middle East, such as Qatar, Saudi Arabia, the UAE, etc. have what some may consider to be excessive luxury fleets for their ruling families.
From the construction site that is better-known as London Heathrow Airport

CJAContinental

Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:54 am

If you ask any american official how much air force one benefits the productivity of leading figures of government, then you'll find an aircraft that size is worth it. The Priminister and the country would benefit from this as he can work during flight hours more productively, benefitting everyone in the UK.

I agree however that the queen should not have one, or if she did, it should be small.

For the queen, I recommend a cessna 152.  

[Edited 2007-08-29 01:56:33]
Work Hard/Fly Right.

Devilfish

Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:54 am

What is the difference between your Queen and Emperor of Japan, why he is flying on a Private 747 and yours only 146?

I say the Dreamliner would be a very nice compromise.....

View Large View Medium

Photo © Daniel Carlos Tan

.....neither small, nor too big - and long-legged!  Smile What are the odds that one of VIP 788s ordered is destined for Royal/Government duty? However, receiving one from others would be demeaning.

Quoting Rdwootty (Reply 9):
and anyway Gordon Brown would not let it be spent

Then, he'd have no reason to complain if ever he finds himself in this.....

View Large View Medium

Photo © David Marshall

Quoting Diesel1 (Reply 20):
Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 10):

So what's due then?

That bit of news had been speculated on in several threads here, but so far no further update has been provided.

Quoting Swiftski (Reply 21):
When Will UK Queen & Gov Get Widebody Jet�

3rd November 2007.

Did it get fat?  Wink
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

swiftski

Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:07 am

Quoting DEVILFISH (Reply 26):
Did it get fat?

Yes.

It is imperative that it be an NW DC-9; it will then be converted in CWL and part of the Beluga fuselage added, along with a Tupolev 144 nose.

I can't reveal my source.

pnwtraveler

Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:41 am

When the Queen is traveling to Canada on official business she either travels on a chartered flight or at times the Canadian version of the A310 called the CC-150 Polaris. When on official Canadian business the Canadian taxpayer pays. There is a VIP version that is used. Of the 4 others in the fleet two have just been configured as MRTT (multi role tanker transport) for refueling the CF18's.

par13del

Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:45 am

No one seems to have questioned Captainsimon in reply 2 about the Uk having a national airline, can't be BA as we know from previous threads that they are private and politics plays no part in their purchase of a/c.

Personally, I think the "Brits" are attempting to be "magnanomous" in these times of a smaller empire, to show that they can be humble? Reality, is they are probably the only ones looking at it in that light. It is certainely more convenient for the head of state to have his / her own a/c, and with the improvement in technology, a B-747 size a/c is not required.

EI321

Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:49 am

Thats only one side of the argument. How much does it cost each year to charter BA 777's? An awful lot is my guess.

I believe that they should use one of the MRTT's as a VIP transport.

vv701

Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:00 am

There are a number of practical reasons why Queen Elizabeth does not have her own aircraft. One of these is her unique position of being the Head of State of more than one country. In addition to being Head of State of the United Kingdom she is Head of State for Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada, Grenada, Jamaica, Papua New Guinea, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Solomon Islands and Tuvalu. Pnwtraveler in Reply 28 has already indicated the effect of this situation. It is that when the Queen visits, for example, Canada as Queen of Canada it is the Canadian Government who are responsible for providing the required air transport.

So although in theory the Queen could have a nice, large, prestigious wide body as Queen of the United Kingdom, if all these countries joined in on the prestige kick she might also get three nice, large, prestigious wide bodies as Queen of Australia, Canada and New Zealand and, perhaps, something a little more modest as Queen of the other (smaller) countries.

Of course, Queen Elizabeth is Head of the Commonwealth that comprises the nations listed above plus another 35 with a total population of over 1.9 billion. This would not require another 35 nice, large, prestigious wide bodies to be added to her fleet. Perhaps just a single very large and very prestigious 380 perhaps painted with the flags of all 53 Commonwealth countries would suffice.

By the way while it has been suggested that while PM Brown's productivity would be increased if he had a nice, large, prestigious wide body to fly in it has also been suggested that a somewhat smaller aircraft would do for the Queen. This seems to me very unfair. After all the Queen also has to work. For example she meets with the British Prime Minister once a week except during the summer holiday period. And I recall seeing pictures of her working as a driver in the WRAC (Women's Royal Army Corps) in 1945. Sixty-two years later she is still working. And not many of us have been at work for over 60 years. And she is clearly streets ahead of PM Brown in terms of seniority. Indeed if the Queen should qualify for a nice, large, prestigious wide body, Gordon would be lucky to get a Regional Jet. Or perhaps there is a use for an ex-NW DC-9 as suggested by Swiftski in Reply 21.

More seriously the current arrangement suits everyone. First there is a flexibility that the operation of a single aircraft does not offer. So while PM Blair used a specially converted BA 772 for a trip to Australia, he has used an unconverted BA 772 to visit the USA and a Swiss (Privatair) DC-8 to visit South Africa. Similarly the Queen has used both BA 772s (for example in her trip to Australia to open the last Commonwealth Games) and 763s (for example on her State Visit to South Korea in 1999) for her long distance flights. And BA is usually more than happy as it charges the British Government the going commercial rate for the charter and gets the publicity of the TV and press coverage of the visit.

As the standard conversion kit used by BA includes the installation of two single beds I do not see that a dedicated, nice, large, prestigious wide body would add anything other than . . . Well, prestige. And we here in the UK are very big headed. Most of us think our Head of State and Prime Minister do not need any added prestige.

So if anything happens expect to see something like an A319 put into service. The BAe 146s are a bit long in the tooth and a comfortable short haul aircraft primarilly used for government flights between London and Brussels and to other EU cities would help government productivity by being available to fly at precisely the time it was required.

antonovman

Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:55 am

Its interesting to see m the Americans and other non Brits would like to see her have a private jet and the Brits think she shouldn't.
I personally think a multi purpose airbus , operated by the RAF is the best idea.
It can be used as a troop carrier and then have a VIP kit so it can carry Royal Family and other govornment ministers, ie the PM

WesternA318

Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:07 pm

Quoting DL767captain (Reply 22):

LMAO, Well, Nancy Pelosi asked for Air Force Two, lol. Mabe this is what HRH should fly in...

Big version: Width: 640 Height: 460 File size: 90kb
Simply stunning...

or...

Big version: Width: 640 Height: 439 File size: 55kb
The original LCC!
Check out my blog at fl310travel.blogspot.com!

VHNSJ

Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:18 pm

last time i looked , the queen was worth billions, and didnt have to pay tax, so surely she could afford a small airline

Strathpeffer

Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:42 pm

That will give more dignity to the Kingdom

Actually, it is far more dignified that the woman does not need an ostentatious aircraft to reassure herself that she is important.

She also has a keen sense of the public mood, which is most decidedly NOT in favour of glittering private jets for herself and government operatives.

PJ
Another Technical Problem?

UAEflyer
Topic Author

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:40 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 17):
Sure. I believe Sarkozy went to see Bush in Maine using a Falcon 900. That's still travelling in style, and much more efficient than a huge 747 for only a few people.

I thought he used the A342

Quoting Swiftski (Reply 21):
3rd November 2007.

Hmmm i am waiting for source

Quoting Strathpeffer (Reply 35):
Actually, it is far more dignified that the woman does not need an ostentatious aircraft to reassure herself that she is important.

She also has a keen sense of the public mood, which is most decidedly NOT in favour of glittering private jets for herself and government operatives.

My point is why she shouldn't? the government is paying heaps for foreigners and other non-important issues, why shouldn't the pay $100 million for a second hand 744 or 345 ?

nighthawk

Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:12 pm

Quoting VHNSJ (Reply 34):
last time i looked , the queen was worth billions, and didnt have to pay tax, so surely she could afford a small airline

well i dunno where you looked, cause thats a load of crap!

How Much Is Queen Elizabeth Worth?
John Pitman, 06.26.01, 7:00 PM ET

NEW YORK - Queen Elizabeth II may live in Buckingham Palace and enjoy one of the world's most stunning jewelry and art collections, but she falls far short of making the Forbes Billionaires list. Forbes pegs the world's best-known reigning monarch at a relative pauper's sum of $420 million.

That's because the Queen, who marked her 49th year on the throne in February, doesn't actually own many of her brightest baubles like the crown jewels or the palace. These items technically belong to the British state, much like the White House is the property of the U.S. government.

Source: http://www.forbes.com/2001/06/26/0626queens.html

Does the Queen pay tax?
The Queen pays tax on a voluntary basis from her private income, but not on "head of state expenditure". But she did not pay almost £20m of inheritance tax after the death of the Queen Mother: this, says the royal website, is primarily because "constitutional impartiality requires an appropriate degree of independence for the sovereign".

Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/theissues/article/0,,716637,00.html

RussianJet

Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:41 pm

They really don't need a huge plane. There's nothing wrong with current options, and tree-hugging aside, it is extremely wasteful to see huge planes flown around for only a few people. Makes me kind of sick when I see a 747-400 with four pax on. A smaller craft would serve just as well on almost any mission.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

foxxray

Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:12 pm

Quoting UAEflyer (Reply 36):
I thought he used the A342

And why ? for vacations everybody need to use an A342 ??? With your point of view Sarkozy should have used the A342 to show our big airplane, then he will have more dignity... ??!!! This topic is totally STUPID !!!

Maybe UK government is more intelligent that some countries in the middle east or africa which are using private 777, 747 or A340 while the rest of the population starves...

swiftski

Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:15 pm

Quoting Swiftski (Reply 21):3rd November 2007.

Hmmm i am waiting for source

JOKE JOKE JOKE  banghead 

elal 744

Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:18 pm

Of course she needs her own plane – when she flew on Air New Zeeland, her first commercial flight – everyone complained she spent too much time on the throne.

duck   eek 
Vercere bracis meis

albird87

Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:24 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 12):
They should get a A330 for use by both the Government and HM the Queen

I do beleive that at the beggining of this year, tony blair went to airbus to sort out the arrangements and configuration of an A330 for use for the British government and the queen.
Everytime they want to go somewhere, they use a BA aircraft that is stripped and changed into a VIP config and so that does cost a lot so the government decided to buy an aircraft as it would be cheaper...

FlySSC

Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:25 pm

What if the USA decided to give a B777 or B787 or France giving A330 or A340 as a gift for the UK? would they rejected?

France is very generous but why the Hell would they give an A330 or A340 to the U.K ???  wideeyed 

First, the United Kingdom is rich enough to buy their own aircraft if they want one... and second, FRANCE is not owning Airbus and can not decide to give this or that plane to any Gov. !!!

UAEflyer
Topic Author

Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:51 pm

Quoting FlySSC (Reply 43):
France is very generous but why the Hell would they give an A330 or A340 to the U.K ???

First, the United Kingdom is rich enough to buy their own aircraft if they want one... and second, FRANCE is not owning Airbus and can not decide to give this or that plane to any Gov. !!!

let us take it in this case, if i gave a friend a gift he is rich and doesn't need a gift of $100, would he rejected.
Did the US reject the statue of liberty when the French gave it to them? or when Egypt gave France some antiques.

FlySSC

Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:10 pm

UAEFlyer, the gift you mentionned had a Political and Cultural and Historical dimension. They were made under very special circumstances.

It is of a tradition to offer a gift when a President, a King/Queen, a Head of State makes an Official visit in a country.
But I really don't see Sarkozy offering an A340 to Queen E2 or to Gordon Brown for their next visit to France !

SEPilot

Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:16 pm

Personally, I think the UK should have their own executive aircraft for the Queen and PM, but as I do not live or pay taxes there my opinion is less than irrelevant. It's for the British citizens to decide.
The problem with making things foolproof is that fools are so doggone ingenious...Dan Keebler

jimbo27L

Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:17 pm

the government is paying heaps for foreigners and other non-important issues, why shouldn't the pay $100 million for a second hand 744 or 345 ?

Not sure I understand what this means. As stated in a number of other replies here, Id like to see the NHS and education system sorted out....oh yeah and something done to prevent kids being shot while out playing football.

The current arrangements are clearly acceptable, financially and morally. Taking my enthusiasts hat off for a moment, there are more important issues in the UK today than seeing a big nice plane with a regal livery on it.

B7X7

Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:22 pm

I thought when the RAF get their A330 Tankers, they will also use the A330 for the Queen and Government. Personaly I would love to see them have a 787, just becasue it is such a beautiful plane.

FlySSC

Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:28 pm

Quoting B7X7 (Reply 48):
I thought when the RAF get their A330 Tankers, they will also use the A330 for the Queen and Government

Are they planning to carry a "liquified Queen" in those A330 Tankers ???  Wow!  Silly  faint