mlsrar

Now What?

Wed Aug 16, 2000 9:46 pm

Jet builder's decision grounds Skyway plan
By Avrum D. Lank
of the Journal Sentinel staff
Last Updated: Aug. 14, 2000
Skyway Airlines will have to rethink its fleet expansion plans after Fairchild Dornier Corp.'s decision not to build a 42-seat regional jet, officials said Monday.

Fairchild, based in Oberpfaffenhofen, Germany, announced late last week that it had canceled plans to build its 428JET. Skyway, the commuter partner of Midwest Express Airlines, had ordered five of the planes, to be delivered in 2003. Fairchild said it decided not to build the 428 after only two other airlines joined Skyway in ordering it.

Skyway saw the 428 as filling a gap between the 32-seat Fairchild 328JETs in its fleet and Midwest Express' smallest DC-9, which seats 60, said Lisa Bailey, spokeswoman for both carriers.

Skyway also operates 19-seat propjets, while Midwest Express has MD-80s that seat up to 116.

The airlines have interlocking schedules with hubs at Milwaukee's Mitchell International Airport, where combined they carry more than 35% of the passengers. The airlines vary the size of planes on routes to match demand at different times of the day or week.

Skyway started to fly the 328s in October, becoming the first commercial carrier to do so. It has five in its fleet, with five more scheduled to come next year.

Bailey said Fairchild's decision not to make the 428 does not affect the orders for the 328s. She said Skyway would look at options to replace the 428s, although she was not specific.

James S. Altschul, president of Aviation Advisory Service, a financial consulting firm in New York City, said that both Embraer, a Brazilian company, and Bombardier Inc., a Canadian firm, make 50-seat regional jets. Those planes have list prices between $17 million and $21 million. Bombardier also has experimented with a 40-seat regional jet, Altschul said.

"There is incredible demand" for the 50-seat planes, he added, although he said Skyway probably could order some for delivery in 2003 if it decided soon.

Appeared in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel on Aug. 15, 2000.

What would you suggest Midwest Express picks for their fleet replacement? ERJs? CRJs? With the investment they made into the 328jet with hopes for fleet commonality, what should they pick?

Regards,

Michael

I mean, for the right price I’ll fight a lion. - Mike Tyson

Peter

RE: Now What?

Wed Aug 16, 2000 11:36 pm

I think that they should get the CRJ. I wish Fairchild would build the 428jet. That would be a good plane.

mlsrar

Thu Aug 17, 2000 12:26 am

why the CRJ?
I mean, for the right price I’ll fight a lion. - Mike Tyson

prebennorholm

Thu Aug 17, 2000 1:25 am

No Fairchild-Dornier 428!
I think that I have seen plans for just any Fairchild-Dornier project number, 428, 528 etc. up to 928.
Does anybody know if this means that Fairchild has dropped all projects beyond 328-JET? Or will some of the other x28-projects go ahead?
Preben Norholm
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

sammyk

Thu Aug 17, 2000 1:35 am

I believe the 728 and 928 projects are still good, with at least Lufthansa having orders for them. I have even heard of a 1028 or 1128. The 528 seems questionable.
Sammy

Thu Aug 17, 2000 9:12 am

This will be a very interesting thing to watch. Based on the numbers that Skyway was showing, the 428 fit like a glove into its bigger markets! Think about it, Skyway is a very unique feeder into a very unique airline; the 428 was a jet that was tailored to Skyway's needs, but that is a very very very small market.

Not speaking for the company...I would look for MEH to buy more 328s. CRJs/ERJs would ruin the fleet commonality, and they (Astral) would have to re-look the way they do business.