jetfuel

Qantas Engineers Try To Ban 744s Worked On By SQ

Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:46 pm

http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/0,23483,22326689-27977,00.html

*************************************************************************************************

The Australian Licensed Aircraft Engineers Association will today launch legal action allowing the union to ban the aircraft from flying for up to four weeks.

The contractor, the Singapore Airlines Engineering Company, came under scrutiny earlier this year when an internal audit found 14 problems, including flight control cables in need of replacement, damaged floor panels, screws scattered across a wing and a plane damaged after a spare part was dropped on it from a crane.

Qantas engineers have found that the aircraft have returned from overseas checks in a condition that does not meet Australian airworthiness standards and our members will be grounding the aircraft until they are properly checked,"

*************************************************************************************************

I am still trying to determine how serious this really is.
Where's the passion gone out of the airline industry? The smell of jetfuel and the romance of taking a flight....

Ken777

RE: Qantas Engineers Try To Ban 744s Worked On By SQ

Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:15 pm

Since I'm not an engineer I can't evaluate the seriousness of the problems being addressed by the union members.

As a simple pax, however, I believe that the unions are hitting the right spots from a PR point of view. QF has an exceptional safety record in the eyes of the Aussie fans I know and most would trust the engineers rather than senior management in determining if a plane needs these inspections before they are considered safe to fly on.

ShyFlyer

RE: Qantas Engineers Try To Ban 744s Worked On By SQ

Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:33 pm

I lift things up and put them down.