UnitedTristar
Topic Author

AA Cancels SAN-ORD Flight Due To Iraqi Passengers

Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:23 pm

http://cbs2.com/topstories/local_story_241235726.html

When will the Paranoia end? Not all middle eastern men are terrorists!

I am German, when I board an aircraft they don't cancel because I might be a Nazi?!?!?!

-m

[Edited 2007-08-30 13:29:56]

aajfksjubklyn

RE: AA Cancels SAN-ORD Flight Due To Iraqi Passengers

Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:35 pm

Better to be safe then sorry. This same tactic named and caught 4 Arabic men in my neighborhood making homeade bombs....It is what is and it will never end..trust me.

kl911

Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:36 pm

quote: Stephens confirmed a report by XETV-TV in San Diego that some passengers complained after hearing the men speak Arabic.

Are those passengers that stupid??? So when you don't talk English in the US, the passenger have the power to halt a flight? If it was me I would arrest the passengers for racisme... idiots.. As if they live in 1900....

Accept it, there are over 8 million muslims in the US.... nothing you can do about it anymore.

Qatara340

Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:36 pm

Stupid retrarded passengers. Screw them, just because they hear Arabic words, doesnt give make them suspects.
لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله

andz

Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:39 pm

Quoting KL911 (Reply 2):
some passengers complained after hearing the men speak Arabic.

Quoting UnitedTristar (Thread starter):
am German, when I board an aircraft they don't cancel because I might be a Nazi?!?!?!

In light of the current thread running in Non Av about Americans' geography capabilities they might think that your German accent is Middle Eastern too!
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

TK787

Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:49 pm

Quoting AAJFKSJUBKLYN (Reply 1):
It is what is and it will never end..trust me.

Trust me, it will end. The flavor of the month used to be Nazis, Japanese, Communists, Vietnamese, now the Arabic. Who knows Chinese, Indians, how about Canadians next?

AJMIA

Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:18 pm

When will the Paranoia end? Not all middle eastern men are terrorists!

I understand what you are saying, but I think Arab Americans have to recognize our anxiety just as we must recognize that the vast majority of them do not sympathize with the terrorists.

Personally if I spoke both English and Arabic I would not choose to speak Arabic while on a comercial airline flight. The wounds of people in this country are still too raw and many people are on edge expecting that eventually there will be another terror attack in the US. Just this week on the news I heard the question was WHEN not IF we would get hit again.

We keep telling people that if they have concerns they must notify authorities. Nobody wants to be led to a slaugher just for the sake of being politically correct.

I am German, when I board an aircraft they don't cancel because I might be a Nazi?!?!?!

No, I think you are safe. But if we were fighting WW II and not the War on Terror then you might have had something to worry about.

AJMIA
Lady it's a jet... not a kite.

tootallsd

Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:33 pm

Well next time a black guy sits next to me I'm going to complain because everyone knows they are dirty and I wouldn't want to sit next to one for more than four hours. Jeez, what is expected of us?

< Awaiting message this has been deleted and subsequent admonishment to behave. >

Put this in context. It is just stupid and Arab Americans do not have to cover their behavior for your fear. It is ridiculous.

777236ER

Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:50 pm

Better to be safe then sorry. This same tactic named and caught 4 Arabic men in my neighborhood making homeade bombs....It is what is and it will never end..trust me.

This 'tactic'? You mean arresting someone for speaking the wrong language?
Your bone's got a little machine

DiscoverCSG

Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:21 pm

Quoting KL911 (Reply 2):
If it was me I would arrest the passengers for racisme

Well, the US Constitution quite rightly stands in the way of this. Racism can only be "proven" through words, actions, etc. While certain actions (murder, assault, and vandalism, for example) are in themselves illegal regardless of motive, words are not illegal, nor are the thoughts behind them (freedom of speech). That's true no matter how repugnant those thoughts might be to most any reasonable person.

Quoting TK787 (Reply 5):
how about Canadians next?

Well, in upstate New York where I grew up, that's not entirely unthinkable.  Wink

afterburner

Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:23 pm

Just plain stupid and ignorant!

Better to be safe then sorry.

This phrase has become a very popular excuse for being a racist.

My advice to my Middle Eastern brothers: "Don't visit the US unless you own an oil company and fly in your own private jet. Otherwise, you're a terrorist".  wink 

[Edited 2007-08-30 15:27:10]

gomuppets

Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:26 pm

Quoting TK787 (Reply 5):
Trust me, it will end. The flavor of the month used to be Nazis, Japanese, Communists, Vietnamese, now the Arabic. Who knows Chinese, Indians, how about Canadians next?

tell that to the african americans. they've been waiting, for oh, i dunno - over 300 years. this really needs to be called what it is - racism. It's people who are in positions of power (white) prejudging people who are of a different race. that equals racism plain and simple.

And it's not just arabs - it's anyone who might appear muslim. i'm a us born citizen of turkish descent and i've been profiled on the basis of just my name and it's origin.

ltbewr

Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:32 pm

Perhaps a uniformed member of the Marines should have come on the a/c and told the pax that the men had USA military level security clearances to travel and just got training at a base in the SAN area. Point closed. They were cleared to travel by the highest authorities. If anybody objected or acted in a racist way, they will be booted off to another flight.

gunsontheroof

Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:54 pm

No. This is nothing but paranoia. I'm baffled that AA's flight crew would take "complaints about men speaking Arabic" seriously enough to hold up a flight. Absolutely pathetic.

The men next to me on a KL flight last month were speaking a language I didn't understand or recognize (ah yes, I'm sure these pax in SAN know Arabic when they hear it!)...you didn't see me complaining to the flight crew, holding everyone up and embarrassing perfectly innocent people!

Lame, lame, lame. Get a grip, people.

FATFlyer

Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:01 pm

Quoting TK787 (Reply 5):
how about Canadians next?

Remember the John Candy movie "Canadian Bacon"?
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

aajfksjubklyn

Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:03 pm

If you see something say something. Paranoia was 9/11, it was shear paranoia that day and the years following, people will do whatever it takes to avoid something of this nature again. If I see something suspicious...the men were acting suspiciously, not JUST TALKING. If it was anyone...reagrdless of color, creed or whatever...and they were acting suspiciously and with good reason, then so be it.

The TACTIC was very suspicious behaviour being watched by Arab neighbors of another Arab family in fact. The police then took action, and Low and behold they found map, bombs, chemicals etc in this apartment. Had suspicion not led to the belief that something was occuring, god knows what would have happened.

The fact is, we as a group don't know the nitty gritty details of EXACTLY what happened.....

Guys/Girls when you live it, beleive me, regardless of who it is, you need to bring it to someones attention........

avianca707359b

Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:11 pm

Quoting Gunsontheroof (Reply 13):
This is nothing but paranoia.

And it's getting out of control.

I'm an American citizen and when I hear stories like this I just cringe - - - subconsciously I tell myself "Well, I really am COLOMBIAN and have nothing to do with these ignorant people..."

How sad....
In Memory of HK-1402 "Sucre" & HK-1410 "Bolivar"

Carls

Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:14 pm

Quoting KL911 (Reply 2):
quote: Stephens confirmed a report by XETV-TV in San Diego that some passengers complained after hearing the men speak Arabic.

Are those passengers that stupid??? So when you don't talk English in the US, the passenger have the power to halt a flight? If it was me I would arrest the passengers for racisme... idiots.. As if they live in 1900....

Accept it, there are over 8 million muslims in the US.... nothing you can do about it anymore.

I don't blame them, after 9/11. I would be nervous too. And I am not racist, but they have reasons to be worried, and it's true that not all Muslims are terrorist, but how do you know which one is the one who will do something......

gunsontheroof

Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:20 pm

Quoting AAJFKSJUBKLYN (Reply 15):
If I see something suspicious...the men were acting suspiciously, not JUST TALKING.

quote: "Stephens confirmed a report by XETV-TV in San Diego that some passengers complained after hearing the men speak Arabic."

You see anything there that suggests they were doing something other than "just talking?" Me neither.

Bad move, AA. I've never flown with you before, but I'd expect a carrier of your stature to handle this situation a bit more tactfully. I'm sure this incident made a wonderful impression on these folks who--from what I can see--have been in the U.S. training to combat the very scourge they've been cast as!

Again, pathetic. Xenophobia in its most blatant form.

TK787

Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:23 pm

Quoting FATFlyer (Reply 14):
Remember the John Candy movie "Canadian Bacon"?

My wives favorite line:
"Hand her over pronto, or we will level Toronto."

Actually, I have worked on a TV commercial before 9/11,( by the way that never aired, good thing) the premise was:
A Saddam lookalike is standing in front of a North American map with targets on big cities in the US, and he says something like: "Tomorrow we will attack the infidels and their financial institutions". One of his henchman sitting in front of computer, day trading, says; "Mmmm, but sir, your ..... stock is doing pretty well these days". So Saddam character changes his mind, all the targets on the map move North and he says; "Tomorrow we will attack the stupid Canadians, and eliminate their bacon farms and hockey teams"

deaphen

Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:23 pm

What?!? was the flight full of Miss South Carolinas?!?  Smile Couldnt help that one!

While i understand the paranoia, there is no need to cancel the flight, delay it, put them thru extra security, check in all their belongings, but dont cancel the darn flight!

nitin
I want every single airport and airplane in India to be on A.net!

gunsontheroof

Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:24 pm

Quoting Deaphen (Reply 20):
While i understand the paranoia, there is no need to cancel the flight, delay it, put them thru extra security, check in all their belongings, but dont cancel the darn flight!

It was held overnight due to curfew at SAN. Not much else they could do.

jacobin777

RE: AA Cancels SAN-ORD Flight Due To Iraqi Passeng

Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:24 pm

"Those inmates who were convicted of committing violent acts against children were more like to have been white, a percentage of nearly 70%, than any other race."*

http://childprotection.lifetips.com/...sex-offender-statistics/index.html

...so does that mean we should avoid any and every white guy between the ages of 16-64 (especially if we have kids)? After all, they do represent 70% of all sex offenders.......hey, as you know, it's "better to be safe then sorry".... sarcastic 
"Up the Irons!"

SkyyMaster

Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:26 pm

Quoting Gunsontheroof (Reply 13):
No. This is nothing but paranoia. I'm baffled that AA's flight crew would take "complaints about men speaking Arabic" seriously enough to hold up a flight. Absolutely pathetic.

I've made this statement before and it bears repeating. This country has become totally paranoid to the point of it being absurd. If the real terrorists never blow up another airplane, they have already accomplished a major goal ot theirs - mainly, to make the average American fearful and mistrustful of anyone that is not obviously of European lineage. As someone pointed out, most Americans probably would not know an Arabic dialect from and Indian one from an African one. I think this is disgusting and anyone that actually has the audacity to defend AA on this IS a racist and coward, whether you admit it or not. I hope these people sue AA's ass off.

yowza

Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:53 pm

Quoting Andz (Reply 4):
In light of the current thread running in Non Av about Americans' geography capabilities they might think that your German accent is Middle Eastern too!

haha very true.

I understand the fear and apprehension some of our less traveled American friends have but this is just sad. I experience this nonsense frequently. I am neither Muslim or Arab but the certain stamps in my passport (Qatar, Saudi, Yemen, UAE) get US Customs' cock hard and I get SSSS or at least a little extra love almost every time I fly to/from the US. I realize 3 of those 4 countries are characterized as friendly to the USA but apparently that means nothing if the stamp is in Arabic  Yeah sure

Oh well, life goes on.

YOWza

Adam T.

Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:55 pm

ashamed  Stories like this really make me ashamed of my country. I mean, honestly, just because someone speaks another language makes them a suspect? This is beyond ridiculous and while I understand that our country is still on edge it does not give people the right to just make a big deal because someone speaks Arabic. I went to college with a guy from Iran, should I have called the police on him because he may have spoken a few words in Arabic? Heck, maybe I should just have assumed he was going to blow up our residence hall even though he never did anything suspicious and was probably the nicest guy on campus  Yeah sure ......I mean, it just baffles me how some people are so ignorant about this type of stuff.

Our country really needs to grow up when it comes to respecting other cultures and languages. I just cringed when I was with a group from school in Europe this past summer. Some people complained about people speaking too much French in Paris and a girl had the nerve to ask "Why are people speaking German?" while we are standing in the middle of Munich.  Yeah sure

Oh, and for the sake of aviation discussion I really am ashamed at AA for acting the way it did. For such a well respected airline they discriminate against their passengers like this?

Airbus767

Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:04 am

Quoting SkyyMaster (Reply 23):
If the real terrorists never blow up another airplane, they have already accomplished a major goal ot theirs - mainly, to make the average American fearful and mistrustful of anyone that is not obviously of European lineage.

checkmark  I agree 100%.

The fact that they would hold up a flight simply because they were speaking Arabic is crazy, and unacceptable on AA's part.
LAN ~ United Airlines ~ Aerolineas Argentinas ~ Pluna ~ Varig ~ American Airlines

chase

Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:06 am

Here's my thought: if you see someone harass a person solely for being Muslim and/or Arabic, and if the accuser is an adult white male, involve yourself in the situation by pointing your finger at him and calling him a KKK member or a pedoph1le. When he (probably rightly) claims that you have no justification for your accusation, respond by saying that most people in those two groups are in fact white males. If he responds by saying yes, but only a very small percentage of white males are in those two groups, hopefully then the equal ridiculousness of his own accusation towards the Muslim/Arabic person will sink in.

Coronado990

Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:07 am

These passengers could not be from San Diego, I believe we have one of the largest Iraqi populations in the U.S. I remember having an Iraqi Airways ticket office downtown back in the late 1980's. I for one am quite use to other nationalities around here including Iraqi. We get a lot of vacationers from the isolated central part of the country and maybe they just haven't caught up with the times.

P.S. Yes, I said isolationists. This country is full of them.
Uncle SAN at your service!

deaphen

Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:09 am

Whats sad is that i can bet that if tomorrow im on a flight with a friend or friends, talking pure hindi, people wont know the difference between Arabic and Hindi, even though they are totally different languages.

Though i have never experienced any nasty glares while on flights in the USA, i am always very tense about the fact that people are looking at me and expecting me to blow up the plane!

Then they get even more scared when i get up in flight to take out my "big" bag and pull out my "bomb" looking Canon lens! There are all kinds, some appreciate me taking pics inflight (of outside the window ofcourse) and some just blatantly object!

Heres to hoping that the people of the USA calm down a bit and start to trust their security personnel on the ground!

nitin
I want every single airport and airplane in India to be on A.net!

Adam T.

Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:12 am

Quoting Coronado990 (Reply 29):
These passengers could not be from San Diego

While I love San Diego and think its a fantastic city I don't necessarily think its immune to ignorant people. You find ignorant people all over the USA.

tootallsd

Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:17 am

Quoting Deaphen (Reply 30):
Heres to hoping that the people of the USA calm down a bit and start to trust their security personnel on the ground!

You started out strong but this sentence is hokum. We have more to worry about from our security screeners than we do from Al Qaeda. TSA is an everyday hassle and sometimes they overstep their bounds.

RJNUT

Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:20 am

Quoting Gomuppets (Reply 11):
tell that to the african americans. they've been waiting, for oh, i dunno - over 300 years. this really needs to be called what it is - racism. It's people who are in positions of power (white) prejudging people who are of a different race. that equals racism plain and simple.

Waiting for what???..Condoleeza /Colin Powell(black ) is/were in a position of power.. You are really reaching on this one! You scare me buddy!..

LAXdude1023

Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:34 am

Quoting TK787 (Reply 5):

Quoting Afterburner (Reply 10):
This phrase has become a very popular excuse for being a racist.

Unfortunately (and this is a perfect example) there is alot of accepted racism in this country. This is a big problem. When Hitler killed so many, it started with accepted racism. This cannot continue. The one thing that my father always taught me was the worlds problems will never end unless we can look at another person and see a person as opposed to a skin color, religion, or nationality.

When I read this story, it really makes me think that the terrorist are accomplishing their goal: Instilling fear and paranoia in us. Whenever we hear about winning the war on terror, it seems like its always about setting up foreign democracies, how many of the bad guys we kill, or about how our president is hunting WMD's like Easter Eggs. That seems very backward to me when people still look at anyone who isnt white and can make generalization and then have them punished for not being white (be it this situation, or not being hired because of race, etc.).

Quoting Adam T. (Reply 26):
Stories like this really make me ashamed of my country.

Yes they do! This is absolutely pathetic on the part of the SAN crew and the Plane crew at AA. San Diego is notoriously conservative especially compared to LA (which definately isnt).

But in all honesty, what do we expect with the crap that the government and the media feed us? It makes me ashamed, but both like us afraid. The government wants us to be scared to death because we as a country are easier to control and dont ask questions when we are. The media wants to scare us because it sells. When you put the two together it creates this type of paranoia that we see here. Its the same reason my whole life when I would turn on the news, the first thing I hear is about a shooting (or something of the sort) in South Central. Then they will show you a picture of a black man. Night after night, the exact same thing. This creates paranoia about African-Americans. Its the same concept with Middle Eastern people, but its not just the media with them, the Government comes in too. When you add all of this together, it creates a culture of paranoia and mistrust. As long as this is the case, this will never end!
It is what it is...

gunsontheroof

Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:49 am

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 34):

Yes they do! This is absolutely pathetic on the part of the SAN crew and the Plane crew at AA. San Diego is notoriously conservative especially compared to LA (which definately isnt).

As someone already stated, this could have happened anywhere in the U.S. Don't think for one second that this plane wouldn't have been held up at an airport in a more "liberal" city, the paranoia exemplified here is prevalent all over the United States right now. Just last week the FBI in Seattle released a photo of two Middle Eastern-looking (yes, "looking") men who a Washington State Ferry employee photographed because they decided the men were behaving "suspiciously." While that may or may not be, the FBI was tactful enough to release the photo of the two men to the public, creating a mini-hysteria that has effectively scared the Puget Sound area Muslim community off of the ferry system. A bunch of Muslim kids who were planning on a trip to the Olympic Mountains canceled out of fear of being singled out onboard!

Bofredrik

Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:45 am

With world history in mind for the last 100 years: It is the americans we should be afraid of.

fxramper

Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:49 am

All the above assumptions regarding the decision by the Captain are ridiculous. Who cares what they were speaking? It's the Captain's decision to fly or not. The article used doesn't go into the slightest amount of detail. You people look extremely silly passing judgement on the decisions of the flight crew to hold the flight. The majority of you don't even work in the airline industry, how does this even qualify you to make judgement then?

The flight in question is AA #590 which has a block out time of 2300. The night in question it blocked out at 2309. There is a very strict curfew at SAN for stage III a/c that begins at 2330. Any minor delay cancels this flight. It's not uncommon for this flight to get bumped to the next day.

Ignorant?  

[Edited 2007-08-30 18:54:08]

SkyyMaster

Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:53 am

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 37):
First off, not all terrorist plots against America in living memory have involved Arabs.

This also can be said worldwide. Northern Ireland for instance. I think most people would consider the IRA a terrorist organization. The Tokyo subway gas attacks a few years ago by Japanese citizens. Darfur. Rwanda. No one race or country has a patent on being terrorist or "looking" terrorist.

I read a fiction book last year (the title escapes me) about terrorists hiring a German mercenary to assassinate the President because they themselves would be under too much scrutiny. The idea that no one would suspect a handsome blonde haired, blue eyed European. Yet, it is not the least bit inconceivable. Also quite similar to Tom Clancy's book and the movie "Sum of All Fears" - no Islamists invoved in that plot at all, it was white neo-nazis. Fiction yes, but all quite possible and even probable.

I dare say there are a few militia groups holed up around our own country that are quite capable and willing to pull off another Oklahoma City style bombing.

So the point is - as terrible as 9/11 was, people of middle eastern heritage are being unfairly and overly scrutinized and discriminated against. If we allow this to continue, we might as well just hand the keys to the country over to a small group of extremists and say "you've won". It would be a refreshing change to see a news report where an airline removed a group of passengers raising a fuss because they saw someone on the plane they didn't like, causing undue delays and stress. The paranoia has to end somewhere.

ANCFlyer

Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:56 am

Quoting Bofredrik (Reply 40):
With world history in mind for the last 100 years: It is the americans we should be afraid of.

Utter standard issue BoFredrick nonsense . . . typical BoFredrick post.

Yup, be afraid of Americans . . . WW1, WW2, Korea, American's were the bad guys right?  sarcastic 

Preposterous.

Perhaps if you KNEW any world history you'd your post wouldn't make you look foolish.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

sw733

Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:01 am

Quoting SkyyMaster (Reply 23):
If the real terrorists never blow up another airplane, they have already accomplished a major goal ot theirs - mainly, to make the average American fearful and mistrustful of anyone that is not obviously of European lineage

Very true. Also applies to Asians...if they're carrying toys   . Yep...I'm gonna get banned for that one...d'oh!  

Quoting Coronado990 (Reply 28):
These passengers could not be from San Diego, I believe we have one of the largest Iraqi populations in the U.S

Ha...yes, but the people on the plane don't necesarilly live anywhere near (in geography or in their head) to the Iraqi populations of San Diego. I mean, just because there are a ton of Middle Easterners in Detroit, I would never think all people in Detroit are comfortable with Middle Easterners or others or Arab decent.

[Edited 2007-08-30 19:13:13]

cwapilot

Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:10 am

I love how these threads turn out...racism, bigotry and prejudice denounced and brotherhood and open mindedness affirmed...by blasting "untraveled, ignorant, non-geography knowing, paranoid" Americans, and then getting more specifc by making sure we indicate that these people only exist in the central part of the country (which, depending upon the perspective of the person saying it, could involve an area larger than all of western Europe itself).

We have the obligatory link to another non-av thread where one can participate in more American bashing, and we have the obligatory Americans who want to hold themselves above the rest of their horrible countrymen. We all know, not all Arabs are terrorists, BUT is some individuals overreacting and causing a bad situation due to their own individual ignorance call for the wholesale labeling of all Americans (except for certain individuals, and certainly not those from California or New Your City--upstate New York qualifies as "the sticks" in some cases, so they are left out of the elite class)? By a.net-think, of course it is, since we all know that at least 90% of the flights between the resumption of flights after 9/11 and now with passengers that may appear to be Arabs, have been disrupted in some way by the actions of ignorant, non-California/liberal elite/NYC hillbillies. And, finally, we have the final and most vital ingredient...enlightened, high-horse Canadians and Europeans who feel the need to chime in (it's against their genetic profile to skip out on an America bashing opportunity). Canada, and Europe especially, have absolutely no issues at all regarding racism.....

For the hard of thinking, I hope you can ferret out the sarcasm...point is, situations as described in the original post are uncalled for and shameful. (Wow, i said that, and I am not even from San Diego...I live in that vast and isolated region known as Chicago, where nobody has ever seen the outside world, and everyone fears that which they do not understand! It must be because I was born there and lived there for nine months when my father was in the evil American imperialist military.) However, in your rush to fall all over yourself to comment on it and place yourself on a pedestal of no reproach, try not to adopt the same sort of ignorance and prejudice you are claiming to denounce. Sure, this country is full of ignorant morons...prove to me there is a single other nation on earth that isn't. (And, no, you don't get to discount prejudice and racism against Americans...it's just as bad.)

Denounce the behavior, serve as an example of the desired behavior yourself, but you don't need to go in to the gross generalizations (while, of course, excluding your own enlightened self) which are the foundations of the very behaviors we deplore.
Southside Irish...our two teams are the White Sox and whoever plays the Cubs!

sw733

Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:16 am

Quoting Cwapilot (Reply 44):
then getting more specifc by making sure we indicate that these people only exist in the central part of the country

Yeah...I mean, I was born and raised in Namibia and I am a Namibian citizen just living in the US for a little...in Kansas. People may see Kansas as a backwards, inward looking place but...I'm proof that's not true.

I've met some darn stupid people in all parts of the country, and the world. I mean, California may have LA and San Diego and San Francisco, all fairly liberal and outward looking, but California also has some small backwards desert communities where people could be compared to the "stereotypical" person from Alabama or Louisiana or Tennessee. There are smart people in every corner of the country, and some pure idiots too.

FLY2LIM

Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:29 am

Quoting AJMIA (Reply 6):
I understand what you are saying, but I think Arab Americans have to recognize our anxiety just as we must recognize that the vast majority of them do not sympathize with the terrorists.

Personally if I spoke both English and Arabic I would not choose to speak Arabic while on a comercial airline flight. The wounds of people in this country are still too raw and many people are on edge expecting that eventually there will be another terror attack in the US. Just this week on the news I heard the question was WHEN not IF we would get hit again.

We keep telling people that if they have concerns they must notify authorities. Nobody wants to be led to a slaugher just for the sake of being politically correct.

The only problem with your claim is that these people are screwed either way. If Arabs speak arabic on a flight, they get turned in. Now, if a group of Arab men start speaking in broken English, trying to "blend in" and appear like locals, there will be some yahoo who will turn them in because they are suspicious by trying to blend in and appear like they are not a threat, which in turn would make them threatening. Darn if they do, darn if they don't.

Quoting RJNUT (Reply 32):
Waiting for what???..Condoleeza /Colin Powell(black ) is/were in a position of power.. You are really reaching on this one! You scare me buddy!..

Almost as scary is your notion that blacks have now reached some sort of "equality" in US society. They are, according to statistics, the lowest achievers in schools. Their economic opportunities are limited, as are their prospects of employment. The jails in this country are populated by a large percentage of black men and women. The facts go on and on. They are, in fact, treated so unfairly that we celebrate the Condoleezas and the Colin Powells and the Oprahs because they are exceptions to the rule. And there are many Americans who still will cross the street if they see a black person approaching them along the same sidewalk.

FLY2LIM
Faucett. La primera linea aerea del Peru.

CAN2YYZ

Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:31 am

Quoting TK787 (Reply 5):

ya, us Canadians are gonna come after you  Big grin

Carls

Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:40 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 42):
Perhaps if you KNEW any world history you'd your post wouldn't make you look foolish.

Americans always say they helped the world because of WWI and WWII, what about when France helped USA in their independence, or you guys forgot that. Vietnam and Iraq are perfect examples of how bad things become when arrogance is the leader.

Back on topic, I think they hold the flight because something else was going on, they are not fools. I don't think just two guys talking in Arab is enough to stop a flight.

remcor

Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:40 am

Quoting AJMIA (Reply 6):
Personally if I spoke both English and Arabic I would not choose to speak Arabic while on a comercial airline flight.

Dumb comment. If you were flying with a bunch of your American buddies in Dubai you'd only stick with Arabic when talking about stuff in the airport? Yeah right.

And if you were detained for speaking English what kind of impression would that give you about that country???

And what happens then if these guys spoke English but the lady complained that they were speaking with an Arabic accent? What it comes down to is basically trying to justify what has been a bad, bad call.

It's like the Iraq war mentality: because we're paranoid about another attack we can do anything we want, including invade another country for no good reason and in the process lead to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people. But better be safe than sorry!

[Edited 2007-08-30 19:42:39]

remcor

Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:50 am

Quoting Carls (Reply 48):

Back on topic, I think they hold the flight because something else was going on, they are not fools. I don't think just two guys talking in Arab is enough to stop a flight.

You don't think so? Why not? People praying is enough to get them booted. A guy wearing a t-shirt that has some Arabic writing on it is enough to get him denied boarding.

What could possibly give you the impression that our country has become sober and level-headed enough over the past couple years such that airport staff would NOT cancel a flight because two people were simply speaking Arabic?

707lvr

Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:10 am

Quoting QatarA340 (Reply 3):
Stupid retrarded passengers. Screw them

Quoting Afterburner (Reply 10):
Just plain stupid and ignorant

Quoting Gomuppets (Reply 11):
african americans. they've been waiting, for oh, i dunno - over 300 years

Quoting Avianca707359B (Reply 16):
"Well, I really am COLOMBIAN and have nothing to do with these ignorant people..."

Quoting YOWza (Reply 24):
fear and apprehension some of our less traveled American friends

Quoting Deaphen (Reply 29):
hoping that the people of the USA calm down a bit

Quoting Bofredrik (Reply 39):
It is the americans we should be afraid of.

I saw my first "Yankee go home" signs, and worse, around 58 years ago. Friends, I'm afraid we Americans have been called names for so long that we're completely inured to it. Sorry.

ANCFlyer

Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:13 am

Quoting Carls (Reply 48):
Americans always say they helped the world because of WWI and WWII, what about when France helped USA in their independence, or you guys forgot that.

I don't dispute the contributions of ANY other nation in those conflicts Carls. That was NOT the point of my post, and most certainly was NOT the point of BoFredricks  redflag  . . .

Thanks tho.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

mahan

Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:21 am

Quoting AJMIA (Reply 6):

Hmm.. I wonder if Indians and all other country's under erst-while British occupation have to wary of English speaking people.. Believe me, we Indians are.. we are just not paranoid and rude.
Airlines I have flown - IC, 9W, KF, AI, LH, BA, LX, CO, DL, UA, SQ, MH, AA